Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marian Finucane Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Crosbie gets a nose bleed if leaves between the canals.What a P*ick.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

He says he will get absolutely nothing from it

Of course any property or facilities he has in the area MAY go up in price but say nothing about that ...

He reminds of me of the saying

To a man with a hammer everything looks like a nail

To a man with significant investment property in the docklands everything can be solved by more building in the docklands

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭phater phagan

I was surprised that he was given any air time. Does he think that we all have suffered from amnesia? I'm terrified that the same crowd who ruined our economy which cost us 60+ billion, are back and up to their same tricks.
    Draining the river would be an astronomical expense and who would pay for it? No doubt the same suckers who bailed out profligate outfits in 2008.
    Harry Crosbie makes to make the tired old excuse for not paying his bills- the bankers screwed him, not his fault.
    Lord give me patience!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

I think he is a very good friend of Marion's, is he not?

When he was going to great lengths to describe his trials and tribulations, I was left thinking to myself "Jesus Harry, that's sounds like an awful lot of hassle, why didn't you just ask Marion to get you a job in RTE"

• Advertisement

Changing the punctuation of the song lyrics and expecting this to confuse the listeners must be the most retarded thing that RTE have done since hiring Ray D'Arcy.

Now that dose catriona crow another one of marians dinner party circle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

I was surprised that he was given any air time. Does he think that we all have suffered from amnesia? I'm terrified that the same crowd who ruined our economy which cost us 60+ billion, are back and up to their same tricks.
    Draining the river would be an astronomical expense and who would pay for it? No doubt the same suckers who bailed out profligate outfits in 2008.
    Harry Crosbie makes to make the tired old excuse for not paying his bills- the bankers screwed him, not his fault.
    Lord give me patience!
    It's some weird brand of capitalism we have here when the likes of him and Johnny Ronan and the rest essentially become bankrupt and broke and yet they still continue living the same lifestyle they had before coming up with grandiose plans like these
    Should they not be living in social housing somewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Marian is snotting/swallowing phlegm like nobody's business this morning.
    It's turning me off my oats.

She was involved in the property game herself for a while.. Mespil Rd an all that. Not sure if she still owns a few

• Advertisement

Did you not listen to the interview? He explained it several times.

Land in that area is worth 25 million per acre.
    There are 250 acres eligible for reclamation.
    €25m x 250 acres = €6.25billion

The project itself has been priced, it is claimed, at €200m euro.

Therefore, the cost would be about 3.2% of the value.

Even if the cost trebled, as it sometimes does, that's about 10% of the value of the whole site.

One word, well two words..,, Fianna Fáil

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

The project itself has been priced, it is claimed, at €200m euro.

Therefore, the cost would be about 3.2% of the value.

Well he said something along the lines of "some Dutch bloke who works in this field reckoned it'd be about..." and in basing the rest of his plans off that "back of a beer mat economics" i was more than skeptical.

I like Crosby and what he's brought to the city but i think he's been passing the bong around on this idea too much.
    A more interesting proposal is the one they touched on in the show and thats expanding southerly... But Crosby doesnt like that plan because he said he likes that view (that was another line from him that pricked my ears as it sounded like someone was stealing his weird sounding thunder).

I was hoping he was going to be talking about his outdoor theatre idea using the stonework of the old Theatre Royal (which he has in storage).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

It's only a matter of time before her other old pal Seanie Fitzpatrick is on the show again to begin his public rehabilitation. :rolleyes:

humberklog wrote: »
    Well he said something along the lines of "some Dutch bloke who works in this field reckoned it'd be about..." and in basing the rest of his plans off that "back of a beer mat economics" i was more than skeptical.
    Nah he didn't say some Dutch bloke, he mentioned the firm who are doing this land reclamation in Dubai.

Nah he didn't say some Dutch bloke, he mentioned the firm who are doing this land reclamation in Dubai.

Sound.

I'll listen back later. I thought at the start he was unspecific about the provenance of the guesstimat.

Just had a close listen back and i don't think he mentioned the firm. He says "a firm" and doesn't elabotate much more than that during the interview. But they're Dutch it's inportant he says the firm are Dutch. It's a Dutch firm

humberklog wrote: »
    Just had a close listen back and i don't think he mentioned the firm. He says "a firm" and doesn't elabotate much more than that during the interview. But they're Dutch it's inportant he says the firm are Dutch. It's a Dutch firm
    I think your missing the point. It isn't "some Dutch fella", it's a group who have undertaken this exact work in Dubai, which people will be familiar with from media or if they've been to Dubai.

It's not a quote from some local, even Dutch, handyman.

I don't know if Crosby is leaving out some crucial information. I think it's worth hearing from the Minister as to why this isn't a good idea.

Marzy was NOT ONE BIT impressed with the criticism of her good buddy Crosby just now

She jumped in and defended him to the hilt

“These visionary types should sometimes be listened to”

Marzy was NOT ONE BIT impressed with the criticism of her good buddy Crosby just now

Yeah I noticed that too. I think the remark was very clumsy though. She said that essentially Harry Crosbie was like a dodgy used car salesman. Now, she meant it as a compliment about his sales abilities, but could have been also be interpreted as him being of questionable morals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭phater phagan

She jumped in and defended him to the hilt

She continues to push his silly proposal. The "Dutch" firm will do the reclamation work for "nothing". If you buy that line I have a bridge that I want to sell you in London.

Harry's description of the site is quite different to the proposed plans as shown by The Irish Times. Harry says the development runs as far as the Clontarf baths (which wouldn't give you the 280 acres). The plan in the IT shows it extending as far as the existing docks (which would give you 280acres.

One texter questioned why we have open borders when there are no houses for our own, and you could immediately hear somebody in the background saying "oh dear oh dear". This cowardly political correctness has to stop. One of the panelists has already said that she could not get a house in Dublin when she was looking ten years ago. One third of the people on the housing list are non irish, so it HAS to be included in an overall discussion of housing.

One texter questioned why we have open borders when there are no houses for our own, and you could immediately hear somebody in the background saying "oh dear oh dear". This cowardly political correctness has to stop. One of the panelists has already said that she could not get a house in Dublin when she was looking ten years ago. One third of the people on the housing list are non irish, so it HAS to be included in an overall discussion of housing.

Yep. Was just about to post

That 3 second section says so much about the groupthink and taboo subjects in Irish media.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

That 3 second section says so much about the groupthink and taboo subjects in Irish media.

I agree. The "oh dear, oh dear" comment just shut down any notion of a mere debate on the issue. Nobody wants to close borders immediately - but can we just have a simple debate on it. I was amazed Marian even read the comment out and then I switched off when she didn't have the courage to open a discussion up. Disappointing.

And the reluctance to even have a discussion on any of these changes to the fundamental makeup of the Rep of Ireland which effect us all and our children's futures pushes anyone with even the most moderate views on immigration further to the right or to the left

Eoghan Corry fairly took apart the union representative during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Irish pilots tend to think of themselves as gods .., like they're flying Aer Lingus in the sixties and seventies... they need to realise they're not that special really .

She continues to push his silly proposal. The "Dutch" firm will do the reclamation work for "nothing". If you buy that line I have a bridge that I want to sell you in London.
    He said there will be no net cost. He clearly, explicitly said they would be paid from the proceeds of the sale of land, or paid in land.

You're deliberately misleading what he said now. There are good arguments against Crosby's proposal without having to make things up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

At last someone talking a wee bit of common sense about the PPS card & the overthetop GDPR. It would be very interesting to know what impact, if any, it has had on the operation of the media companies it was designed to control. I'd be willing to bet very, very little.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement