Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marian Finucane Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Crosbie himself is on a wage from nama

Is he? For someone in that position, he came across as a bit arrogant last week in how he presented his ideas.
    He said it himself on the show

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Oops69 wrote: »
    This interview with the referree has to be the most pointless of they year , it should be on a local radio late night sports slot.

Not just pointless but interminable, Brendan O'Connor (?) makes Mary Wilson (Drivetime) seem exciting and that really is saying something. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Who is the phantom nose whistler, Howlin?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Lucinda Creighton on talking absolute sh1t about giving the Brits a 5 year time-limit to the backstop.

The whole raison d’etre for the backstop is because the British government can’t be trusted, FFS.

No doubt any clients she has in England will be delighted to hear this crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

serfboard wrote: »
    Lucinda Creighton on talking absolute sh1t about giving the Brits a 5 year time-limit to the backstop.

The whole raison d’etre for the backstop is because the British government can’t be trusted, FFS.

I thought she sounded like someone desperate to give Boris Johnson a "fig leaf" ... probably channelling her Tory friends petrified of a Corbyn PM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Heard that

It was interesting to hear Ger Howlins response

Said it was way too soon to be offering more compromise and also he was speculating about why Lucinda was saying it and whether someone in her old party has been in touch with her on it

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Trump bashing

yawn

Trump bashing

yawn

Oh come on.

For one thing, Obama and his policies were discussed -- and criticised -- at length in Irish media during his Presidency. This was largely due to the economic crisis which coincided with his Presidency, but there is today a crisis of comparable importance with regard to international diplomacy and the rise of the alt-right. Furthermore, everyone ignores the American President at their own peril.

And secondly, Trump is hugely unpopular in Ireland. Every opinion poll demonstrates this, and his support base in the media seems to rely on cranks, charlatans and frankly, idiots, to act as his mouthpiece on the national airwaves (see: Brendan O'Neill).

The idea that Trump can just be ignored, or that the plain people of Ireland are in agreement with him, is the real fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Oh come on.

For one thing, Obama and his policies were discussed -- and criticised -- at length in Irish media during his Presidency. This was largely due to the economic crisis which coincided with his Presidency, but there is today a crisis of comparable importance with regard to international diplomacy and the rise of the alt-right. Furthermore, everyone ignores the American President at their own peril.

And secondly, Trump is hugely unpopular in Ireland. Every opinion poll demonstrates this, and his support base in the media seems to rely on cranks, charlatans and frankly, idiots, to act as his mouthpiece on the national airwaves (see: Brendan O'Neill).

The idea that Trump can just be ignored, or that the plain people of Ireland are in agreement with him, is the real fantasy.
    what opinion polls have been done on Trump's popularity in Ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Oops69 wrote: »
    what opinion polls have been done on Trump's popularity in Ireland ?

An Irish times poll during the US election - "Just 6 per cent of people said they would like to see Republican Party candidate Donald Trump elected president, as against a massive 82 per cent who expressed support for the Democratic nominee Ms Clinton – 12 per cent had no opinion."

I doubt he has gained many fans here since taking office.

• Advertisement

Bad an all as Trump is and he is bad I've often wondered what state the world would be in now had that vile woman become potus

Bad an all as Trump is and he is bad I've often wondered what state the world would be in now had that vile woman become potus
    Less trade wars but more actual wars?

And definitely less environmental destruction and naked corruption. The corruption would have been of a much more subtle sort. For instance, I don't think she would have done anything differently about (Saudi) MBS, apart from maybe expelling a few diplomats.

Hillary, in your opinion, is vile, but Trump truly is despicable.

It was not a good choice for the elctorate, caused by the Democratic party's corruption and pandering to the Clintons. Let's see if they've learned their lesson this time. I hope so, but I fear not.

Ah here retired termporarly at 42 & plans to go back ... that's nice if you can get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Must say I find this man is impressive. Ive heard him on Newstalk also few weeks ago.

Must say I find this man is impressive. Ive heard him on Newstalk also few weeks ago.

I think they need to focus more on why the army is necessary and what work they do, rather than the usual public sector "the guards/bus drivers/etc are getting more than us" whinge.

I didn't hear the full interview but I don't think he did much of a job explaining what exactly the army do or what is so vital about them.

As an aside are there many other jobs where you could take a career break to go study & qualify to be a doctor, take a "temporary retirement on pension" at 42 and still have the option to go back to your job?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,157 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Callan57 wrote: »
    I didn't hear the full interview but I don't think he did much of a job explaining what exactly the army do or what is so vital about them.

As an aside are there many other jobs where you could take a career break to go study & qualify to be a doctor, take a "temporary retirement on pension" at 42 and still have the option to go back to your job?

Not in the pvt. sector anyway,I would suggest. Uhmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

He's gone publicly loudly against the government, I'd suspect his military career is finished unless they are very stuck for doctors, which may also be very possible.

They were short a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I think they need to focus more on why the army is necessary and what work they do, rather than the usual public sector "the guards/bus drivers/etc are getting more than us" whinge.

A serious grown up country cannot be without an army, we let ourselves down in this country with our cavalier attitude to defense

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

No there aren't man jobs with that option, and that option really only exists in the public sector. The costs of this are massive and never seem to be acknowledged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

If he took a career break to study as a doctor, it doesn't sound like the army paid for the qualification?

The army does need doctors and I think they were very short of them.

Our company has had several engineers leave and come back over the years. If they have the skills and we have the work, we will always take them back.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    A serious grown up country cannot be without an army, we let ourselves down in this country with our cavalier attitude to defense

Not being deliberately obtuse but Why? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Brendan is a strange host. Terrible on brexit, incapable of objectivity. He's actually getting worse the more experience he gets.

Diceicle wrote: »
    Brendan is a strange host. Terrible on brexit, incapable of objectivity. He's actually getting worse the more experience he gets.

I think Brendan certainly feels the shackles are on when he is in that role. And he seems to be trying not to make a big mistake and cause problems for Marion or the show. Maybe with a view to taking it over at some stage.

Terrible on brexit, incapable of objectivity.
    Do you mean that he should be talking about the good sides of a clusterfúck of an idea perpretated by billionaires so they can pay less tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Mad_maxx wrote: »

Not being deliberately obtuse but Why? :confused:

Adults take responsibility for their own security, they don't rely on their neighbours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Do you mean that he should be talking about the good sides of a clusterfúck of an idea perpretated by billionaires so they can pay less tax?

He seems incapable of understanding, outlining or even finding a guest to outline, the reasons behind the brexit vote - beyond the usual middle-class whinefest about a number on a bus.

Much like our "Washington correspondent" touring the usual haunts in WC and listening to the same voices in the echo chamber of the wine bars and eateries there
    God forbid they might head to the outskirts of the city and then head to the southern States and ask a few questions maybe we might learn something about how a buffoon like Trump was elected to the most powerful political position in the world.. But no its more of the same every time without fail

He seems incapable of understanding, outlining or even finding a guest to outline, the reasons behind the brexit vote
    That's a fair enough criticism if Brendan hasn't had someone on explaining the reasons behind the Brexit vote - although I suspect that this has been done to death already in the three years that have passed since the vote.
    God forbid they might head to the outskirts of the city and then head to the southern States and ask a few questions maybe we might learn something about how a buffoon like Trump was elected to the most powerful political position in the world.
    There would be no point going to the Southern states because the answer to why Trump was elected would not be found there. The answer lies in the former Steel Belt which has now become the Rust Belt - and that simple change of name indicates a lot of the cause.

• Advertisement

This is bizarre.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement