Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marian Finucane Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Callan57 wrote: »
    If Rees-Mogg produces an encyclical on pronunciation & articulation next it will keep Gay Byrne happy at least. :rolleyes:

He was on fire on his debut performance. I particularly like this retort to a snide, mean spirited remark from one of the Lib Dems.

He was on fire on his debut performance

Now there's a nice thought

Now there's a nice thought

So somebody setting Jacob Rees Mogg on fire would be a good thing then, yeah? I wonder how that comment would be treated if I were to make it? I suspect that I would look up in the top right corner and seeing a little red one in what I refer to as the "Mod disagrees with your opinion" notification box.

Shur go on hit me with one anyway. Haven't had one in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

So somebody setting Jacob Rees Mogg on fire would be a good thing then, yeah? I wonder how that comment would be treated if I were to make it? I suspect that I would look up in the top right corner and seeing a little red one in what I refer to as the "Mod disagrees with your opinion" notification box.

you didn't really expect impartiality on Boards did you ?

Oops69 wrote: »
    you didn't really expect impartiality on Boards did you ?
    Oh give-over, this isn't a public meeting for everyone who has a gripe with a mod; nobody is being attacked, or even carded, but it is a request to stay on topic - Mod.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Imagine the reaction if such a statement was made about Michael D or other similar leftist/media **** mag material. There would be eruptions (ooh matron) of joyous outrage and threats of legal consequences. We must have the worst media outside Burkina Faso. Even they probably try to be at least a bit patriotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

absolutely , I've just had my innocuous reply deleted .

quintana76 wrote: »
    We must have the worst media outside Burkina Faso.
    So our media are worse than that of, say, North Korea?

Marian Finucane didn't even say anything denigrating about Rees Mogg, in fact she said he had very high standards, even if it was in a slightly mocking tone.

I don't think this makes Marian Finucane akin to that North Korean 'pink lady' newsreader.

RSF puts Ireland in the top 10% of countries in the world for the greatest press freedoms, way ahead of Canada, the UK, the United States -- well, most of the western world, really.

So our media are worse than that of, say, North Korea?

Marian Finucane didn't even say anything denigrating about Rees Mogg, in fact she said he had very high standards, even if it was in a slightly mocking tone.

I don't think this makes Marian Finucane akin to that North Korean 'pink lady' newsreader.

RSF puts Ireland in the top 10% of countries in the world for the greatest press freedoms, way ahead of Canada, the UK, the United States -- well, most of the western world, really.

We might technically have high press freedom but when media types self censor and mostly hold and express the same views and agenda it makes the point moot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

The young woman on now about Zimbabwe is very inarticulate. "You know", "kinda", "like".

• Advertisement

boombang wrote: »
    The young woman on now about Zimbabwe is very inarticulate. "You know", "kinda", "like".

It must have been a good listen with Marian coughing and wheezing at the same time. Wasn't bothered to listen myself, she is probably on holiday. A well deserved one I may say so considering her exhausting work schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

boombang wrote: »

She kept saying “so”

• Registered Users Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Just turned on

who is yer wan Gill/Gail??

Possibly the WORST radio voice I’ve ever heard !!

Jim Power (accusingly): "And did the parents not know that this wasn't a great place?".

No, Jim, they were oblivious to it, when you would have maybe expected that they should have know about the dangers. A bit like you and the economic crash. Why is this man still allowed on the national airwaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Jim Power (accusingly): "And did the parents not know that this wasn't a great place?".

No, Jim, they were oblivious to it, when you would have maybe expected that they should have know about the dangers. A bit like you and the economic crash. Why is this man still allowed on the national airwaves.

The same could be said for Bertie Ahern and Micheal McDowell both of whom haven't a shred of credibility left but keep gracing the national airwaves.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    The same could be said for Bertie Ahern and Micheal McDowell both of whom haven't a shred of credibility left but keep gracing the national airwaves.
    I'm a bit divided on this. Ahern was Taoiseach and MInister for Finance during some of the most remarkable political conditions you could imagine -- from economic ruination to enormous economic growth (plus ca change), from conflict to peace. McDowell, as a commentator, lawyer, Minister and Attorney General has arguably had a bigger influence on this country's system of justice and its constitution than anyone since that constitution came into being in 1937.

The recollections and statements of guys like this are invaluable to historians. Interviews like these will be used for decades, or centuries to come, to corroborate or contradict various interpretations of the history of Ireland during a very crucial period, where me moved from a situation of conflict to real peace.

I don't have any time for the political views of either person, yet given the offices they have held in the past, I think it would be wrong to ignore them, and to abandon the pursuit of a further understanding of the past, and what we can learn from it.

"It's shameful that this woman has to pay her own way in Harlequins" says the texter.

It's getting to the point that every woman who is involved in any sport expects to be paid for playing, just because a small subsection of men are paid vast amounts of money. There needs to be some sense of realism brought to these sorts of discussions.

"It's shameful that this woman has to pay her own way in Harlequins" says the texter.

It's getting to the point that every woman who is involved in any sport expects to be paid for playing, just because a small subsection of men are paid vast amounts of money. There needs to be some sense of realism brought to these sorts of discussions.
    Leah Lyons plays for Ireland, and plays in a top-15 club in the UK. She's not some amateur kicking a ball around Belfield a couple of nights a week after work ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,275 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Leah Lyons plays for Ireland, and plays in a top-15 club in the UK. She's not some amateur kicking a ball around Belfield a couple of nights a week after work ffs.

And your point is?

And your point is?
    That these players are not comparable to just any woman kicking a ball around like an amateur. She plays for one of the biggest teams in women's rugby in the whole of the UK, and as was obvious from the interview, that takes enormous sacrifice.

Putting a player like that in the same bracket as some woman playing for Thurles Women's RFC -- or even Munster Ladies -- makes absolutely no sense. You're talking a completely different level of skill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,275 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

That these players are not comparable to just any woman kicking a ball around like an amateur. She plays for one of the biggest teams in women's rugby in the whole of the UK, and as was obvious from the interview, that takes enormous sacrifice.

Putting a player like that in the same bracket as some woman playing for Thurles Women's RFC -- or even Munster Ladies -- makes absolutely no sense. You're talking a completely different level of skill.

Ok got you now, thanks.

And would you think that on the basis of the quality of the play or the attendances at the matches that it is reasonable to expect to be paid?

And don't get me wrong, she seems like a nice girl. But, if she's not happy with the terms and conditions, then do something else.

And would you think that on the basis of the quality of the play or the attendances at the matches that it is reasonable to expect to be paid?

And don't get me wrong, she seems like a nice girl. But, if she's not happy with the terms and conditions, then do something else.
    I understand completely the argument that women cannot expect to earn the same incomes as male professionals when there is an obvious difference in physicality, and match attendence figures.

But the top women should be compensated to some extent, and their games should be given better coverage. That's moving onto a slightly different issue now.

What I think is really beyond the pale is lumping all women in sport into the same category. In the UK in particular, there are women in clubs like Harlequins that have more earned the right to be called elite athletes, including Leah Lyons.

Jaysus Chris, it's still early will you stop shouting, the head pounding on me here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Harry Crosbie again. Has he some dirt on the montrose crowd or what? I thought he was bankrupt

Harry Crosbie again. Has he some dirt on the montrose crowd or what? I thought he was bankrupt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Oh yea same old solution ... build, build, build IN DUBLIN!

So he made a deal with Nama who are now paying him a salary.. Unbelievable
    The dice was loaded from the start as Leonard Cohen sang one time

Is this the Harry Crosby tribute show

• Advertisement

Seems to have been in with the montrose mafia for years

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement