Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anthem

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

To a certain extent though God of War is an outlier because Sony can afford to put a big chunk of change towards it's development knowing that it's a game that's going to see consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

To a certain extent though God of War is an outlier because Sony can afford to put a big chunk of change towards it's development knowing that it's a game that's going to see consoles.

CD Project Red is a tiny studio compared to the other players in the market yet had no MT's in the Witcher 3, offered tons of free DLC with it, had very reasonably priced expansions and not only managed to make one of the best games of all time but made a huge profits from it to boot. MT's are not about making enough money to fund development but just another way to squeeze every last cent from the customer.

Venom wrote: »
    CD Project Red is a tiny studio compared to the other players in the market yet had no MT's in the Witcher 3, offered tons of free DLC with it, had very reasonably priced expansions and not only managed to make one of the best games of all time but made a huge profits from it to boot. MT's are not about making enough money to fund development but just another way to squeeze every last cent from the customer.

The excuses for MTs at this stage is getting laughable

God of War disagrees. No exact figures, but estimating around the $100 million mark (they said it cost more than a normal AAA game, and they're about $40-60 million on average), and made $131 million digital during its release month. Gamers are now demanding good stories to play, and couldn't care less about MP. The only MP game I play is CoD, and i still technically fly solo in that.

Yes, the figures won't be as good as the MT heavy games, but Sony Santa Monica now has a carte blanche with me, because I know they will produce something amazing. That to me is more important than sales figures, and I believe this will be the focus of a lot of studios going forward.

I reckon we're getting to a breaking point with MTs, and games will either have to massively reduce the cost of in game items (which should be cosmetic only). Do the likes of EA and Activision not realise that if everything was only 50% of what they currently cost, they would most likely sell more? I wouldn't have an issue with spending €2-3 on a new suit in CoD, but I'm not spending the equivalent of €10 on it. And I'm sure there are many, many others out there like me. Throwing €20 onto the PSN is not that big of a deal, if I can buy up to 10 outfits. But for 2 outfits, it's not worth it.

SP games are going to make a massive comeback, and The Witcher 3, God of War and AC Odyssey are proving this. I look forward to it, as historically, the games I've enjoyed the most are the games with brilliant stories (Legacy of Kain, God of War (I thought it was a brilliant story, no need for hidden meanings, just straight up revenge!), Bioshock, even Mortal Kombat has a story i've always been interested in.

And yes, how good you perceive a story is subjective, ie: lots of people thought the story/experience of Journey was amazing. It bored me and I actively turn people away from it.

Resident Evil 2 Remake already dominating in sales.

Quality Single Player titles are stronger than ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Horizon Zero Dawn is another good example. Story based, SP, no MTs, one DLC that was a massive expansion.

• Advertisement

Cheers.
    I don't want a jack-of-all-trades type because I really want to play my role within a team.

Really looking forward to the demo!

The trick with Anthem seems to be getting a power with the primer ability in one slot and a then one with the detonator ability in the other slot, as unlike a lot of games the mech's abilities refresh pretty fast so can be used very frequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Colossus looks like my Tank class. Curious about this, but shoot and loots dont hold my attention for long, so I wonder will this be any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭divide_by_zero

Don't know if this was mentioned anywhere in this thread but I thought this was an overall good review of the first demo weekend for Anthem.

https://www.businessinsider.com/hands-on-with-anthem-game-2019-1?r=US&IR=T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

CD Project Red is a tiny studio compared to the other players in the market yet had no MT's in the Witcher 3, offered tons of free DLC with it, had very reasonably priced expansions and not only managed to make one of the best games of all time but made a huge profits from it to boot.

What they lose out on in MT they can make up for by not paying staff for overtime and just generally having horrible work conditions:)

https://www.gamezone.com/news/cd-projekt-red-developers-speak-up-on-the-realities-of-working-on-witcher-3-and-cyberpunk-2077-3461430/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I've heard really good things about God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn. It was pretty cool that Insomniac were giving away free suits with that Spider-Man game too.

What console do I need to buy to play them on again?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well the end game at launch for Anthem is now out... A whopping 3 dungeons or strongholds as they are called (one already in the demo), 3 random quests a day for each factions to go kill stuff and of course random world events...

Better get used loving those strongholds people because that's the only endgame at launch...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

The thing the strikes me more than anything is weapons are practically pointless as they do nothing but tickle enemies while the player waits for skill cooldowns.
    It makes it all a bit **** to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Dcully wrote: »
    The thing the strikes me more than anything is weapons are practically pointless as they do nothing but tickle enemies while the player waits for skill cooldowns.

Don't worry, you can buy a box of armor piercing rounds for only $5!!

Yeah, weapon damage needs a serious buff as even with level 19 blues the damage off them is pretty weak sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

is the open the demo on now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Lone Stone wrote: »
    is the open the demo on now ?

Yup

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Yeah, weapon damage needs a serious buff as even with level 19 blues the damage off them is pretty weak sauce.

I'm guessing this is a deliberate design decision. They want multiplayer engagement (since it's more likely to draw in friends of core players and drive cosmetic sales), and the Prime/Detonation mechanic plays into that - play in a group, sync your specials and feel like a god....pew pew solo and watch paint dry. I doubt it will last. Loot shooters are massive single player draws also and they will eventually have to cater for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

using the collouss with the mini cannon got a level 19 rare one.

it ****s **** up but bigger **** require team work, I think I and you and are missing that part. I actually think everyone is missing that.

Online 2 go for the big guy and one deals with the ADDs until the ADDs become stronger then all 3 deal with the ADDS and when clear focus on the big guy.

I can see how this game is supposed to be played but unless I online with others i know its not gonna happen.

but this is an alpha.beta,demo.... the above is not hard to figure out.....

Its pretty heavy on the GPU on PC,everything at medium on a GTX 1080 @1440p to get somewhat close to 60fps average.

Runs smooth enough even with the drops though.

Cant help but feel theres something not quite right with the controls. Like some sort of acceleration or smoothing going on.

I agree with those earlier that said the guns feels a bit weak against enemies. I wonder does enemy toughness scale with squad size. Would make more sense then.

So far,not bad,ill play a bit over the weekend and see how i feel about it then.

• Administrators Posts: 53,450 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's Destiny.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    It's Destiny.

NO!

It's Warframe!

:pac:

• Administrators Posts: 53,450 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

nix wrote: »
    NO!

It's Warframe!

:pac:
    Never played that, but everything about this just reminds me of Destiny.

Even the missions are Destiny. Go to this point, kill some enemies. Go to the next point, perform some action on some obscure object that starts to glow. Defend this objective for a minute. Go to the next point. SOme weird boss-type enemy that your wee ghost-like voice-in-your-head friend doesn't understand.

"The Dominion" would fit in perfectly in Destiny.

It's just Destiny with flying.

awec wrote: »
    Never played that, but everything about this just reminds me of Destiny.

Even the missions are Destiny. Go to this point, kill some enemies. Go to the next point, perform some action on some obscure object that starts to glow. Defend this objective for a minute. Go to the next point. SOme weird boss-type enemy that your wee ghost-like voice-in-your-head friend doesn't understand.

"The Dominion" would fit in perfectly in Destiny.

It's just Destiny with flying.

I was only joking, the games are all of the same pretty much, Destiny took a lot from Warframe and Anthem is pretty much a mix of both games. Though i do think Warframe resembles Anthem more as it has flying and is also third person and you can also change into different suites.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭KilOit

Like it a lot so far. need good squads to do well. server crashing during missions is very frustrating, hope it's not the case in the full game, you lose all progress

Anyone think its Vanquish?

Enjoying it so far. Ill leave it at that for now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

it feels very meh to me, thats my review score a meh.
    The city you are in it's terrible like what are they thinking it sounds like they got audio for the city from some free soundclips website i use to use in college, and the animation loops are a bit odd, mostly because most of them are people in deep conversation and yet they say nothing also it's like a bald person convention.

The gun play while it is enjoyable it has zero oomph to it like so i was watching them shoot the gun's and they no recoil they are held perfectly still while they shoot and the audio for them is fairly flat. All that can be fixed but yea didnt grab me at all. Even the world outside the city felt barren going to be a pass from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,856 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Lone Stone wrote: »
    it feels very meh to me, thats my review score a meh.
    The city you are in it's terrible like what are they thinking it sounds like they got audio for the city from some free soundclips website i use to use in college, and the animation loops are a bit odd, mostly because most of them are people in deep conversation and yet they say nothing also it's like a bald person convention.

The gun play while it is enjoyable it has zero oomph to it like so i was watching them shoot the gun's and they no recoil they are held perfectly still while they shoot and the audio for them is fairly flat. All that can be fixed but yea didnt grab me at all. Even the world outside the city felt barren going to be a pass from me.

But they are in big armored suits that can fly and fire lasers and gernades. If they can manage that I think the suit can counter recoil :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

If the demo has showed me anything it's that a good Iron Man game would definitely be possible

Advertisement