Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anthem

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,484 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Really looking forward to this release. Couldn't care less about Anthem but once it launches, it means we might hear something about the Mass Effect Trilogy Remaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The cosmetic end of things doesn't matter anywhere near as much as things like weapon/armour rarity, perks and stats in a loot based game in my experience.

when-a-piece-of-armor-doesnt-match-your-current-set-but-its-stats-are-too-good-to-pass-up-hello-kitty-shield-pink.jpg

An oldie but goldie:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Venom wrote: »
    star-wars-battlefront-2-memes-2-1.jpg

No disputing that the game wont have micro transactions from launch. I would be more surprised if it didn't. Any MP game released in the past 2 years has had micro transactions from launch. No need to treat Anthem any differently.

I'm convinced there is some lads on boards who work for EA at this stage :P

I despise EA. Really horrible company. That said, this is a Bioware game being funded and bullied along by EA. I have a shred of hope that Bioware didn't entirely bend over to EA during Anthems development.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Tbf this is far from being a proper bioware game as can be made. This is a pure EA game imo

• Advertisement

ZiabR wrote: »
    I despise EA. Really horrible company. That said, this is a Bioware game being funded and bullied along by EA. I have a shred of hope that Bioware didn't entirely bend over to EA during Anthems development.

Bullied being the key word, I'd be of the opinion the Bioware had little or no say in what direction this took or face the consequences of losing jobs.

I think it will still happen anyway as the game doesn't hit the ridiculous targets that have been set even though it will be profitable.

Bullied being the key word, I'd be of the opinion the Bioware had little or no say in what direction this took or face the consequences of losing jobs.

I think it will still happen anyway as the game doesn't hit the ridiculous targets that have been set even though it will be profitable.

I would tend to agree with you. I can hope all I want but it won't change the fact that the parent company here is EA. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm convinced there is some lads on boards who work for EA at this stage :P

Wouldn't surprise me. They have an office in Galway, and some of the Social Media is ran from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Anyone know when the demo opens for access on PS4?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

EoinHef wrote: »
    Anyone know when the demo opens for access on PS4?
    According to the other folk here at EA HQ, the open demo starts at 5pm on Friday for all platforms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

havent played the beta or watched a whole lot of footage, but listening to the lads on the Giant Bombcast, they didn't seem especially taken by it. Complaints about the shooting feeling weightless, and poor writing and voice acting. I'll have a look in over the weekend for myself, but my expectations have been somewhat lowered.

havent played the beta or watched a whole lot of footage, but listening to the lads on the Giant Bombcast, they didn't seem especially taken by it. Complaints about the shooting feeling weightless, and poor writing and voice acting. I'll have a look in over the weekend for myself, but my expectations have been somewhat lowered.

You do have to remember though that the demo/beta is at least a 3 month old build and that those who have been lucky enough to play a close to release version of the game say it is impossible to compare the two builds.

You do have to remember though that the demo/beta is at least a 3 month old build and that those who have been lucky enough to play a close to release version of the game say it is impossible to compare the two builds.

then why release a demo at all? the game is the game, final release may be less buggier with less server issues but its still going to be a loot n shoot, grindy half mmo with the same game-play loop that was in the demo. The only thing we can hope is much better is the story as we've seen so little of it.

Who has played a close to release version btw? is there early reviews or something?

then why release a demo at all? the game is the game, final release may be less buggier with less server issues but its still going to be a loot n shoot, grindy half mmo with the same game-play loop that was in the demo. The only thing we can hope is much better is the story as we've seen so little of it.

Who has played a close to release version btw? is there early reviews or something?

I am not sure what you were expecting though. Bioware developed the game. Bioware only make RPG games which are built on a loot and gear system. The Division 1, 2 and Destiny 1, 2 and Warframe are identical to Anthem. I personally find The Division a heavier grind. So I don't understand your gripe at the mechanics of Anthem. It is what it is.

As for a version comparison, you need to watch this video in full. Or skip to 9:16.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

My guess would be the VIP demo was made a while back and had the limited story section and map area's to give people a taste without letting them see the entire game and adding the latest build containing bug fixes would be just to much work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Far as I'm concerned there is no Bioware anymore. It's just EA.

Because that's all I'm seeing in their games.

I am not sure what you were expecting though. Bioware developed the game. Bioware only make RPG games which are built on a loot and gear system. The Division 1, 2 and Destiny 1, 2 and Warframe are identical to Anthem. I personally find The Division a heavier grind. So I don't understand your gripe at the mechanics of Anthem. It is what it is.

As for a version comparison, you need to watch this video in full. Or skip to 9:16.

Bioware are known for creating single player very narrative heavy, character driven games that have rpg mechanics. Baldurs gate, kotor, Jade empire, mass effect, dragon age origins.
    Their past games have very little in common with the likes of destiny bar the fact that you can equip your characters with different gear and level up!

So my gripe is that as a long term (baldurs gate and on) fan of bioware/black isle, the complete shift in game development focus towards the microtransaction fueled loot n shoot has me disgusted!
    This is not bioware, this is EA 110%, case in point a lot of the big developers behind bioware's successful games have left the studio

Far as I'm concerned there is no Bioware anymore. It's just EA.

Because that's all I'm seeing in their games.

Once the doctors left the company and the games started under their watch got released, it stopped being Bioware.

So my gripe is that as a long term (baldurs gate and on) fan of bioware/black isle, the complete shift in game development focus towards the microtransaction fueled loot n shoot has me disgusted!
    This is not bioware, this is EA 110%, case in point a lot of the big developers behind bioware's successful games have left the studio

That is my point though... Give me an online game or a massive RPG online game that hasn't adopted micro-transactions in the past few years. I am not for one minute condoning micro-transactions. All I am saying is that it has become the norm in the gaming world and it will never go away. Micro-transactions are a gold mine to most developers to bring in a steady flow of cash long after a game has been released. No one is forcing you to buy anything.

Every major studio out there has micro-transactions present in their games. You have to go to the Indie game scene to find games that dont have any micro-transactions present.

I am gaming since the 80's, so I have been around since the good old days when games were just games but that is not the case anymore. Gaming is a 140 billion dollar a year industry. Of course developers are going to try to find ways to make more money... the costs of developing games has risen exponentially. Look at Red Dead 2, 500-700 million to develop. Most companies no longer make enough money back on sales alone, so micro-transactions have become the norm to increase revenue streams.

I am 110% against any form of micro-transactions, but I know, what I think doesn't matter, they are here to stay.

As long as they primarily stay as cosmetic enhancements, then I don't really care. Stop bashing studios etc for what is now the new norm in gaming. It's not going to change anything.

That is my point though... Give me an online game or a massive RPG online game that hasn't adopted micro-transactions in the past few years. I am not for one minute condoning micro-transactions. All I am saying is that it has become the norm in the gaming world and it will never go away. Micro-transactions are a gold mine to most developers to bring in a steady flow of cash long after a game has been released. No one is forcing you to buy anything.

Every major studio out there has micro-transactions present in their games. You have to go to the Indie game scene to find games that dont have any micro-transactions present.

I am gaming since the 80's, so I have been around since the good old days when games were just games but that is not the case anymore. Gaming is a 140 billion dollar a year industry. Of course developers are going to try to find ways to make more money... the costs of developing games has risen exponentially. Look at Red Dead 2, 500-700 million to develop. Most companies no longer make enough money back on sales alone, so micro-transactions have become the norm to increase revenue streams.

I am 110% against any form of micro-transactions, but I know, what I think doesn't matter, they are here to stay.

As long as they primarily stay as cosmetic enhancements, then I don't really care. Stop bashing studios etc for what is now the new norm in gaming. It's not going to change anything.

I am not arguing about microtransactions, theres enough about that everywhere, all ill say is rdr2 came out and its single player experience had zero microtransactions and a fantastic story and characters! CDPR havnt done micro transactions, spiderman didnt have them, god of war has none, single player games i know but then thats what i am interested in, and thats what bioware are historically known for.

I am not bashing EA for micro transactions alone, i am bashing them because they have taken a studio that have made some of my personal favorite games of all time and have made them into something that long term fans of bioware would have very little interest in. How in the hell did a side studio of bioware end of making the single player mass effect andromada while the main development team is making a mmo-alike, makes no sense.

All i can think of is how bethesda tried a very similar shift in development focus quite recently with fallout 76, and it was a disaster for them.

• Advertisement

This game looks very bland and downright boring but I'll give the demo a lash anyway. Maybe it will do what the Resident Evil 2 demo did and sell me the game. I seriously doubt it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Is the Demo weekend only or only for preorders?

Downloaded it on PS4 but couldn't log in.

fixxxer wrote: »
    Is the Demo weekend only or only for preorders?

Downloaded it on PS4 but couldn't log in.

My understanding is that it unlocks at 5pm for everyone for the weekend.

I will be playing the Colossus, but then again I have a set team of about 6 players and we all have chosen Javelins to work as a team.

Based on the most recent poll the best or favourite Javelin, the picks are:

1) Interceptor - 40%+
    2) Storm - 25%+
    3) Colossus
    4) Ranger

What class is everyone going with for the demo?/what's the best class?

(btw There's too many great games to play right now. Got a backlog and I'm all over the place.
    What an amazing time to be a video game fan!)

The Ranger is a solid jack of all trades but master of none style unit and was also the starter mech in the last demo. I then picked the Storm after I levelled up a bit and found it to be ranged AOE class that I found really fun. Can't really comment on the other two as I never tried them but seeing as all the classes look viable with the correct mods it kinda boils down to personal choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

gizmo wrote: »
    According to the other folk here at EA HQ, the open demo starts at 5pm on Friday for all platforms.

Thanks Gizmo... Any idea what timezone that is ?

Muppet Man wrote: »
    Thanks Gizmo... Any idea what timezone that is ?

5PM GMT for us. So 5PM today.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I have EA Access so I'll give it a spin this weekend, but I'm not expecting great things.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

God of War disagrees. No exact figures, but estimating around the $100 million mark (they said it cost more than a normal AAA game, and they're about $40-60 million on average), and made $131 million digital during its release month. Gamers are now demanding good stories to play, and couldn't care less about MP. The only MP game I play is CoD, and i still technically fly solo in that.

Yes, the figures won't be as good as the MT heavy games, but Sony Santa Monica now has a carte blanche with me, because I know they will produce something amazing. That to me is more important than sales figures, and I believe this will be the focus of a lot of studios going forward.

I reckon we're getting to a breaking point with MTs, and games will either have to massively reduce the cost of in game items (which should be cosmetic only). Do the likes of EA and Activision not realise that if everything was only 50% of what they currently cost, they would most likely sell more? I wouldn't have an issue with spending €2-3 on a new suit in CoD, but I'm not spending the equivalent of €10 on it. And I'm sure there are many, many others out there like me. Throwing €20 onto the PSN is not that big of a deal, if I can buy up to 10 outfits. But for 2 outfits, it's not worth it.

SP games are going to make a massive comeback, and The Witcher 3, God of War and AC Odyssey are proving this. I look forward to it, as historically, the games I've enjoyed the most are the games with brilliant stories (Legacy of Kain, God of War (I thought it was a brilliant story, no need for hidden meanings, just straight up revenge!), Bioshock, even Mortal Kombat has a story i've always been interested in.

And yes, how good you perceive a story is subjective, ie: lots of people thought the story/experience of Journey was amazing. It bored me and I actively turn people away from it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement