Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anthem

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,274 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

goon_magee wrote: »
    I think the roadmap for this looks promising to be honest, especially given that we won't be charged a penny for any of the content set out in it. Even if this is a bit more light on content than the average looter shooter, that's perfectly fine by me. I love this genre but don't necessarily have the time to put into it anymore, so something I can jump in and out of a bit more casually sounds great.
    Those will only happen if it hits it sells target however (see ME Andromeda for example) which is 5 - 6 million copies by March 31st this year (end of the EA fiscal year). If Anthem fails to hit that target you can expect any free future content will be greatly reduced if not scrapped all together in normal EA style while adding more micro transactions "to compensate for the lower than expected income" from the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Nody wrote: »
    Those will only happen if it hits it sells target however (see ME Andromeda for example) which is 5 - 6 million copies by March 31st this year (end of the EA fiscal year). If Anthem fails to hit that target you can expect any free future content will be greatly reduced if not scrapped all together in normal EA style while adding more micro transactions "to compensate for the lower than expected income" from the title.

"Scrapped all together in normal EA style"....

Not sure I agree with that statement. Battlefront 2 underperformed at launch, but that game received both an overhauled progression system, and regular substantial content drops on a regular basis. Likewise, Battlefield V underperformed/is underperforming, but we have had substantial content added already with plenty more on the horizon.

Really your statement seems to be based on the failure of Andromeda, which, fair enough, was abandoned but that was a largely single player experience with less scope to make money of MTs. Single player content is expensive to make, so there was likely less to be gained from continuing to support Andromeda given people had already made up their mind on the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

goon_magee wrote: »
    Really your statement seems to be based on the failure of Andromeda, which, fair enough, was abandoned but that was a largely single player experience with less scope to make money of MTs. Single player content is expensive to make, so there was likely less to be gained from continuing to support Andromeda given people had already made up their mind on the game.

Completely understand your points but I think the malaise is a more than well justified lack of faith in EA. It's not about the history of the dev name, or what we as gamers want. It's down to the controlling interest in that dev. The simple truth is that those controlling interests are not in the remotest universe (far far away) gamers. They don't give a damn about content beyond it's 6-12 month earning ability, at which point they jump ship based on that short term gain. Sales guys are running product dev, that NEVER WORKS. But it is common. The tail wags the dog until you realise the fleas wagging the tale are the Sales guys. i HOPE Anthem benefits from Bungies split from Activision, I want it to be great. But ME-A showed first hand how an Iconic dev can be brought low by mindless suites. The demon/Beta did not inspire confidence.

Also making money off MTs? That is ok for F2P, despicable for a AAA full price title. And I say this as a first generation (5yr) Grand Master Founder on Warframe (who has sunk around 1K into it). The customer is not a blood bag to be bled dry. Ask for the cost upfront, present additional content honestly and fairly as either all pay, partial pay (FAIR MTs) or DLCs. Stop treating your customer, your bread and butter, the reason you exist as a company as an exploit. Give paying customers the respect they deserve and the monetary cost is a detail.

• goon_magee wrote: »
    I think the roadmap for this looks promising to be honest, especially given that we won't be charged a penny for any of the content set out in it. Even if this is a bit more light on content than the average looter shooter, that's perfectly fine by me. I love this genre but don't necessarily have the time to put into it anymore, so something I can jump in and out of a bit more casually sounds great.

Ah the "roadmap", the new term used for games that release at 60 euros but are essentially betas void of content upon launch.

Battlefield 5 / Sea of Thieves ect.... 2.0

• Registered Users Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Sea of Thieves, whatever happened that?

• Advertisement

Ah the "roadmap", the new term used for games that release at 60 euros but are essentially betas void of content upon launch.

Lol well it is what it is, you don't want to buy in at launch then hold off. For those of us who want to play at launch, the "roadmap" is promising as it shows a commitment to getting a steady stream of free content to players, beginning as soon as March. At the end of the day, given that all gameplay related content is free, we get to play the same game regardless of whether someone holds off or plays at launch.

Curious as to how you know this will be void of content? Played the final version?

I'll agree that Battlefield V launched slightly light content. I wouldn't say void, I mean it launched with only 2 less maps than BF4, a move which I don't necessarily mind given that I get to play all upcoming maps and modes for free (had to buy into a season pass for 4 to get anything beyond those initial launch maps). I would have liked the BR mode to be ready for launch though.

_CreeD_ wrote: »
    Completely understand your points but I think the malaise is a more than well justified lack of faith in EA. It's not about the history of the dev name, or what we as gamers want. It's down to the controlling interest in that dev. The simple truth is that those controlling interests are not in the remotest universe (far far away) gamers. They don't give a damn about content beyond it's 6-12 month earning ability, at which point they jump ship based on that short term gain. Sales guys are running product dev, that NEVER WORKS. But it is common. The tail wags the dog until you realise the fleas wagging the tale are the Sales guys. i HOPE Anthem benefits from Bungies split from Activision, I want it to be great. But ME-A showed first hand how an Iconic dev can be brought low by mindless suites. The demon/Beta did not inspire confidence.

Also making money off MTs? That is ok for F2P, despicable for a AAA full price title. And I say this as a first generation (5yr) Grand Master Founder on Warframe (who has sunk around 1K into it). The customer is not a blood bag to be bled dry. Ask for the cost upfront, present additional content honestly and fairly as either all pay, partial pay (FAIR MTs) or DLCs. Stop treating your customer, your bread and butter, the reason you exist as a company as an exploit. Give paying customers the respect they deserve and the monetary cost is a detail.

Yeah some fair points, but in all honesty I'd rather a game be monetised with cosmetic microtransactions that I have no interest in buying, rather than monetised via content releases that inevitability split the playerbase.

The way Destiny handles it annoys me, what with charging for expansions whilst also having in game MTs. I have no issue however (apart from inflated prices for skins) with how Anthem is implementing them though. If they went the traditional DLC route I'd be spending potentially 60- 80 quid a year on content, whereas this way, I'm paying base price and won't have to invest further to stay up to date with the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Anyone playing this on the 15th (early access) can you report in here as soon as you have a few hours played. Interested to see how it is running on launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Andy Gravity

ZiabR wrote: »
    Anyone playing this on the 15th (early access) can you report in here as soon as you have a few hours played. Interested to see how it is running on launch.

Yep, also with launch in mind, do people want to share their origin usernames to take advantage of the alliance system? seems like a good way to earn extra coin.

Mine is xAndyGravityx

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'll be playing it (PC) on Friday, so will let you know how it runs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Flashdan

I will be playing Friday, maybe we should list our spec and what settings?

Mine is on the highest (same settings from Demo) settings and I have:

Ryzen 5 2600
    8GB ddr4
    RX 570 8GB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭KilOit

Anyone know if it releases at midnight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

KilOit wrote: »
    Anyone know if it releases at midnight?

11.30PM CET time on 14th for Origin Access Premier

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Noxin wrote: »
    11.30PM CET time on 14th for Origin Access Premier
    So 10:30pm on Thursday for us here.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,920 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Flashdan wrote: »
    I will be playing Friday, maybe we should list our spec and what settings?

Mine is on the highest (same settings from Demo) settings and I have:

Ryzen 5 2600
    8GB ddr4
    RX 570 8GB

I got it free with my new GPU.

I have
    Ryzen 7 1700
    RTX 2060
    32GB 3000Mz DDR4 (managed to get two 16GB sticks on Amazon for £107 on a pricing error)

I'd imagine I will be able to play on pretty high settings. Didn't try the Beta on PC.

TitianGerm wrote: »

I have
    Ryzen 7 1700
    RTX 2060
    32GB 3000Mz DDR4 (managed to get two 16GB sticks on Amazon for £107 on a pricing error)

I'd imagine I will be able to play on pretty high settings. Didn't try the Beta on PC.

I played it on the highest settings with no noticeable frame rate drop. You have a 2060 and massive amounts of RAM you will be fine :D

TitianGerm wrote: »

I have
    Ryzen 7 1700
    RTX 2060

I tried it on half that spec so to speak on recommended settings and it ran just nice. Didn't have time to get into playing with changing settings.

R5 2600
    GTX 1060
    16GB 3000 DDR4

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Street Fighter V is another great example. Didn’t bother me as I just wanted online matches but it lacked a lot of content in comparison to other fighters at launch.

Not sure I’ll get on the Anthem buzz. Looks good though. Destiny feel to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I guess the marketing department at EA has some money left over from Apex Legends? :pac:

If you guys are trying to track performance against system types don't forget to include Resolution in your stats.

• Advertisement

_CreeD_ wrote: »
    If you guys are trying to track performance against system types don't forget to include Resolution in your stats.

Mine is 1080p

What could play this on 4k on the highest settings? 1070ti ?

Flashdan wrote: »
    Mine is 1080p

What could play this on 4k on the highest settings? 1070ti ?

Presuming 60fps as the target no. I have a std. 1080 and had to drop to 1440p for the demo (and even then there were some occasional slowdowns, though some of that may have been down to having to run borderless instead of full screen). I have a 2080ti arriving this week hopefully and will post how it does on 4k/Ultra, I'm guessing it still won't hit 60 consistently though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

16gb

Couldnt get 4k 60 fps in the demo, hoping the game is tidied up.

Couldnt get 4k60 in Bf5 during the alpah/betas but can now in the full game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I feel like the graphics options have not been fine tuned. Some of them seemed to do very little in the beta for me. Id be hoping for better on launch.

GTX 1080
    16gb ram
    Playing at 1440p

On medium was getting drops from 60 to 50ish.

Ill be holding off buying until the full launch at least,the beta was decent but not quite enough to make me wanna run out and buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

EoinHef wrote: »

Ill be holding off buying until the full launch at least,the beta was decent but not quite enough to make me wanna run out and buy it.

EA/Anthem has 13 days to wow me, the subbie runs out end of the month.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

dreamers75 wrote: »
    EA/Anthem has 13 days to wow me, the subbie runs out end of the month.

Same here. Don't play Fifa or BF5 anymore, so Anthem is the only reason i'm keeping it going. Will give it till the end of the month, and see how it goes.

Kiith wrote: »
    Same here. Don't play Fifa or BF5 anymore, so Anthem is the only reason i'm keeping it going. Will give it till the end of the month, and see how it goes.

Really keen to know how that launch goes on the 15th. Its going to make or break the game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I thought it was out on the 22nd?

I thought it was out on the 22nd?

No, the game is fully playable on PC for Origin Premier members and if you have EA Access, you get to play 10 hours on the Xbox One. The game launches on the 15th.

If you play the 10 hours on Xbox, your progress is saved and you can pick up where you left off on the 22nd.

Full game is available on the 15th, its not a Demo.

• Advertisement

I should say, I dont play PC and I dont have EA Access so I will be waiting until the 22nd. I am just looking forward to seeing how the launch goes.

Advertisement