Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anthem

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Exactly budgets of hundreds of millions so games being bigger is not an excuse I'm buying anymore.

Oh I know, I am not making an excuse for them. I am just pointing out that to develop a game on the scale of Red Dead, Division, Anthem, Skyrim etc etc take MUCH more money and effort than anything else in the entertainment industry.

The games are so big and complicated in today's world that without Alpha, Beta and Early Access testing, developers would never be in a position to release.

Its a nasty by product or gamers demand for more and more and also developers being pushed into releasing unfinished products.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Jesus, that is REALLY bad... that's blatant enemy power scaling based on currently equipped weapon power. I'm sure it will be fixed ASAP.

Still though, I dont know why but I absolutely love this game. Warts 'n all... I still look forward to playing this every evening, and find it hard to put it away. And thats with one or two "back to main loading screen" type crashes every evening. Hard to explain the enjoyment TBH, but its real.
    Venom wrote: »
    Heelz vs Babyface has a vid up about the level 1 weapons :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Read the 2nd post ;) :rolleyes:

What second post?
    Bioware have now acknowledged this is a bug.
    It's bad programming.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Muppet Man wrote: »
    Jesus, that is REALLY bad... that's blatant enemy power scaling based on currently equipped weapon power. I'm sure it will be fixed ASAP.

Still though, I dont know why but I absolutely love this game. Warts 'n all... I still look forward to playing this every evening, and find it hard to put it away. And thats with one or two "back to main loading screen" type crashes every evening. Hard to explain the enjoyment TBH, but its real.

Yeah, it's a very enjoyable game all right. It's a shame it shipped in such a poor state because that's going to understandably put a lot of people off giving it a go if and when it gets fixed/improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Dcully wrote: »
    Its so obvious at this stage that EA pushed this game out 6 months ahead of time.
    But 6 years in the making? It seems most gaming devs simply do not employ gamers at all these days,this has to change.

We are not gamers anymore guys we are beta testers.
    I can see the job ad already.

The camera pans in on the back of a DXRacer chair. The voice-over begins...

Do you CRAVE unpaid crunch time?
    Do you LOVE having your project constantly derailed by competing interests?
    Do you DELIGHT in having every aspect of your work picked apart by people who have no idea what you actually do and can't even agree on what you may or may not have done wrong?
    Do you NOT play games?

If so, join the games industry today!

The chair then spins around to reveal a dude in a PCMR t-shirt. He pulls off his gaming headset, gives the thumbs up and with a beaming smile proudly says, "I'm doing my part".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

gizmo wrote: »
    I can see the job ad already.

The camera pans in on the back of a DXRacer chair. The voice-over begins...

Do you CRAVE unpaid crunch time?
    Do you LOVE having your project constantly derailed by competing interests?
    Do you DELIGHT in having every aspect of your work picked apart by people who have no idea what you actually do and can't even agree on what you may or may not have done wrong?
    Do you NOT play games?

If so, join the games industry today!

The chair then spins around to reveal a dude in a PCMR t-shirt. He pulls off his gaming headset, gives the thumbs up and with a beaming smile proudly says, "I'm doing my part".

FlamboyantUnderstatedGelada-small.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

^^^^^^^^

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c81248a454367384daa7ebf

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Its so obvious at this stage that EA pushed this game out 6 months ahead of time.
    But 6 years in the making? It seems most gaming devs simply do not employ gamers at all these days,this has to change.

We are not gamers anymore guys we are beta testers.

Oh EA put pressure on Bioware to get Anthem out for sure as they are in a seriously bad place IP wise at the moment with longtime customers outright giving up on their bigger franchises like Battlefield, Battlefront and Mass Effect and sale figures reflecting that.

EA needs a hit so badly but due to their own greed, they are literally cutting off their nose to spite their face by destroying their product lines as launching Apex Legends days before one of your most hyped products comes out, is just insane. That's not to say Bioware didn't screw the pooch here as they did and bigtime, as for how anyone could test this game and not see that the loading screens were going to be a huge problem is beyond me. Even simple things like not being able to run in town really shows the devs don't play video games.

That's not to say Bioware didn't screw the pooch here as they did and bigtime, as for how anyone could test this game and not see that the loading screens were going to be a huge problem is beyond me. Even simple things like not being able to run in town really shows the devs don't play video games.
    ...Or, the requirement for a slow movement speed through Fort Tarsis is down to the technical limitations of the engine exacerbated, in this particular case, by a more densely populated area with a higher level of visual fidelity, all viewed via a first person perspective?

It's just a guess like, but I find it significantly more likely compared to the notion that no one on the Design team at Bioware, nevermind the Design Director on the project, who was formally the Lead Designer of the Mass Effect trilogy, play games. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

...Or, the requirement for a slow movement speed through Fort Tarsis is down to the technical limitations of the engine exacerbated, in this particular case, by a more densely populated area with a higher level of visual fidelity, all viewed via a first person perspective?

It's just a guess like, but I find it significantly more likely compared to the notion that no one on the Design team at Bioware, nevermind the Design Director on the project, who was formally the Lead Designer of the Mass Effect trilogy, play games. :pac:

Id have to agree. Maybe the cost had to be paid to give the fidelity that the initial trailer suggested was going to be there. Mass effect andromeda felt like it paid a price for using frostbite in a lot of places too. Never even mind the development time wasted on previous iterations of that game.

Either way,fort tarsis gives you the total opposite feel to being out in bastion. The extreme mobilty of the actual game vs the slug speed of tarsis is such a massive contrast.

Obviously they knew this,but it was still put into the game. The launch bay feels much more in line with what i would expect from a game like this. But unless you have all items from legendary contracts you still need to visit tarsis.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

EoinHef wrote: »
    Id have to agree. Maybe the cost had to be paid to give the fidelity that the initial trailer suggested was going to be there. Mass effect andromeda felt like it paid a price for using frostbite in a lot of places too. Never even mind the development time wasted on previous iterations of that game.

Either way,fort tarsis gives you the total opposite feel to being out in bastion. The extreme mobilty of the actual game vs the slug speed of tarsis is such a massive contrast.

Obviously they knew this,but it was still put into the game. The launch bay feels much more in line with what i would expect from a game like this. But unless you have all items from legendary contracts you still need to visit tarsis.

The Frostbite engine has many flaws but being able to provide pretty detailed and awesome looking first person environments is not one of them. Now I agree it does seem to be a right pain to work with from what other dev teams have said but being able to run in the release version of Tarsis, an already cut back looking version of the city to what was shown at E3, and something Bioware devs said would be added very soon, really gives the impression either smeg all playtesting was done or the dev team is very out of touch with what makes a modern gaming experience.

The Frostbite engine has many flaws but being able to provide pretty detailed and awesome looking first person environments is not one of them. Now I agree it does seem to be a right pain to work with from what other dev teams have said but being able to run in the release version of Tarsis, an already cut back looking version of the city to what was shown at E3, and something Bioware devs said would be added very soon, really gives the impression either smeg all playtesting was done or the dev team is very out of touch with what makes a modern gaming experience.

Well givin the actual gameplay in bastion i wouldnt say they are out of touch.

In mass effect andromeda the biggest slowdowns in the game came for me when i was traversing hub areas. It seemed to depend on the amount of NPC's in those areas. Tarsis is full of NPC's,so id suspect the same issues frostbite had with NPC's in andromeda it still has in anthem. This is on top of of the area itself being pretty high fidelity and fairly densely packed.

One thing other games that run on frostbite dont have is lots of NPC's. Be interesting to see if anything is removed from tarsis if they do allow sprinting beyond the sprint thats already there.

It doesn't have rendering issues though, it has pretty well documented resource loading issues which are the most likely candidate for the cause of the movement speed limitation under the circumstances outlined.

This has the potential to be somewhat offset with additional time spent on optimisation which is why it's something that can be improved over time, say for instance the weeks between the demo release and launch. Alternatively, they can just reduce the size of the problem by, I duno, reducing the scale of the city from what was shown at E3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

I'm level 450 and I played 11 world events on grandmaster 2 tonight and got zero legendary or machine works loot from any of the 11+ chests that I opened. Not a happy xbone bunny :(

Not sure if they just made it really hard to get masterworks, or if it's just glitchy tonight. Will try again tomorrow.

Muppet Man wrote: »
    I'm level 450 and I played 11 world events on grandmaster 2 tonight and got zero legendary or machine works loot from any of the 11+ chests that I opened. Not a happy xbone bunny :(

Not sure if they just made it really hard to get masterworks, or if it's just glitchy tonight. Will try again tomorrow.

World chests and random high level enemies are as good as events from what ive seen.

The fact a lot of the chests require underwater shenanigans is a bit on the annoying side though.

Last night i got one materwork from each legendary contract and one from the stronghold i ran. The bare minimum,the night before i got 7 from the same run. RnG'esus can be a cruel mistress:(

Still no legendaries,3 characters over 400 with storm the highest at 477

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Easily have 80+ MWs and 1 legendary.

Ranger 490
    All others hovering around the 450 mark.

Yeah i have atleast 60 masterworks worth keeping [salvages lots too] and 5 legendaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Think I'm done with this for the time being. I have a ranger and Colossus pretty much maxed out with God roll builds in respect of what I'm going for. I've enjoyed my time with it, but until they add more variety to the endgame I've had enough. I'm especially disappointed that they didn't really address new content on the stream. If anything it sounds like we may not even get what was advertised for March, in March.

goon_magee wrote: »
    Think I'm done with this for the time being. I have a ranger and Colossus pretty much maxed out with God roll builds in respect of what I'm going for. I've enjoyed my time with it, but until they add more variety to the endgame I've had enough. I'm especially disappointed that they didn't really address new content on the stream. If anything it sounds like we may not even get what was advertised for March, in March.

Same here, totally enjoyed the game once i got by the incredibly annoying journey to endgame, endgame has fantastic potential,gameplay is very enjoyable.
    The game just needs more endgame activities, if and when that happens ill be back but meanwhile i got 3 weeks of enjoyment out of my one month sub to origin access, id call that great value.
    The division 2 imminent arrival was always going to grab my attention after the month of origin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I got my Interceptor to 410 and then gave my Ranger/Collosus some of the transferable items and arsed around freeplay with a friend.
    About half an hour each and the drops I got brought each Javelin up to 405 or thereabouts.
    Lined up the Storm for similar treatment later.

Probably start running the strongholds/missions at GM1 after that to try for more Masterworks.
    Only thing that still wrecks me is the giant Titans.

Are the Legendary contracts tough?

Also, anyone else enjoy splattering Wyverns with the Colossus shield. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Same here, totally enjoyed the game once i got by the incredibly annoying journey to endgame, endgame has fantastic potential,gameplay is very enjoyable.
    The game just needs more endgame activities, if and when that happens ill be back but meanwhile i got 3 weeks of enjoyment out of my one month sub to origin access, id call that great value.
    The division 2 imminent arrival was always going to grab my attention after the month of origin.

Agree with all you said. My quitting now isn't a reflection of the huge amount of fun I've had with it, it just needs that new content. Also the Division is on the horizon as you say, plus I'm a huge sucker for from software games and Sekiro is just around the corner.

I'll definitely be back if that new content drops though.

A sensible idea to give it a break for awhile imo. The loot pool as stands should be the smallest it will ever be so i dont really feel the need to grind repeatedly.

I would like a legendary before i stop though:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

played 4 Gm2 strongholds.

4 MWs...4......

I got 6 from 3 legendary contracts this morning on GM1. I was doing them on GM2 but the rewards are not worth it amd they take way longer.

The difficulty scaling/rewards above GM1 dont seem worth it at all to me. GM2 doesnt seem any more rewarding and the scaling of it is off for me. It just turns enemies onto sponges for damage for no real benefit.

Has the patch dropped?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

I got 6 from 3 legendary contracts this morning on GM1. I was doing them on GM2 but the rewards are not worth it amd they take way longer.

The difficulty scaling/rewards above GM1 dont seem worth it at all to me. GM2 doesnt seem any more rewarding and the scaling of it is off for me. It just turns enemies onto sponges for damage for no real benefit.

Has the patch dropped?
    Yeah patch was released today

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Has the patch dropped?

gm1 freeplay is the best accepted way to farm

gm1 freeplay is the best accepted way to farm

Yeah i tried GM2 for most activities but just found it a slog really. Maybe with the addition of legendaries that would change but i havent got any yet so cant tell.

Its strange because GM1 feels way too easy at this point,but GM2 feels like the spike is not difficulty but just hit points for enemies,which for me,takes the challenge and enjoyment out of it. Its just grind

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Yeah i tried GM2 for most activities but just found it a slog really. Maybe with the addition of legendaries that would change but i havent got any yet so cant tell.

Its strange because GM1 feels way too easy at this point,but GM2 feels like the spike is not difficulty but just hit points for enemies,which for me,takes the challenge and enjoyment out of it. Its just grind

this is forever the problem with looter shooters, they dont think hey instead of hitpoints lets give them a new ability or two to fiught with

• Advertisement

this is forever the problem with looter shooters, they dont think hey instead of hitpoints lets give them a new ability or two to fiught with

True,the key will be how they manage it going forward.

3 contracts,1 stronghold and about 1 hr of freeplay yesterday morning,8 masterworks,7 of which i already have. Still no legendaries:(

All ran on GM2,post patch,which was a real slog in parts. Givin the limited content ive a feeling ill be shelving the game soonish.

I do like loggin in and doing the legendary contracts and a bit of something else i have time for but the loot really needs to be better handled to keep me playing. That or new content to run.

Advertisement