Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Leaf e+ 62kWh

Options

Comments

They're crossovers not SUV a lot of people like to call them SUV.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Seems like the Leaf 62kWh is old news already. Seems they have a Model S clone in the works...

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2019/1/14/18178878/nissan-ev-concept-ims-naias-2019

Just a concept, though, like is noted there in article for 2017 and 2018. There is no development timeline or indicative pricing. They generate excitement and marketing results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

They're crossovers not SUV a lot of people like to call them SUV.

I know, was on phone and couldntbe bothered trying to type in Crossover:P

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

45 grand

Still not a mass market car then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

lawred2 wrote: »
    45 grand

Still not a mass market car then

Closer to 50k

• Advertisement

Mike9832 wrote: »
    Closer to 50k

Whats 50K?

Nissan don't care about extortion taxes in the E.U , I bet their primary target is the U.S where these extortion taxes don't exist and the leaf will probably be 10k cheaper.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Whats 50K?

Leaf62

Nissan don't care about extortion taxes in the E.U , I bet their primary target is the U.S where these extortion taxes don't exist and the leaf will probably be 10k cheaper.

At the moment they can sell every EV they make, at any price they care to name, it makes no sense to make cheaper ones. The limited supply of batteries means they have a great excuse for a while yet.

VW in 2020 will change all that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

So Nikki from Transport Evolved is reporting that the 62 kwh has NO active cooling.

Yet the leaked German report before Christmas and the Nissan UK tweet both imply an extra fan.

Are Nissan UK telling porkies - or are there differences in spec for different parts of the world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Old diesel wrote: »
    So Nikki from Transport Evolved is reporting that the 62 kwh has NO active cooling.

Yet the leaked German report before Christmas and the Nissan UK tweet both imply an extra fan.

Are Nissan UK telling porkies - or are there differences in spec for different parts of the world
    Saw that video and I think she's a bit confused.
    There's no active liquid cooling but there will be a fan, confirmed already by nissan.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,071 ✭✭✭✭KCross

ELM327 wrote: »
    Saw that video and I think she's a bit confused.
    There's no active liquid cooling but there will be a fan, confirmed already by nissan.

Thats what I think too.
    She was told it was air cooled (which it is) and assumed that means passive cooling(which Nissan UK says it isnt).

KCross wrote: »
    Thats what I think too.
    She was told it was air cooled (which it is) and assumed that means passive cooling(which Nissan UK says it isnt).

To your standard idiot, like me, what does this mean?

I guess air fan comes on to push air around the battery and cool it? not as good as liquid but better than nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

yep.

To your standard idiot, like me, what does this mean?

I guess air fan comes on to push air around the battery and cool it? not as good as liquid but better than nothing?

Depends how hot the battery gets in the first place, a fan might be perfectly adequate but in some circumstances it might not.

A 60 Kwh battery will give a good bit of range so fast charging will be much less required.

At 100 Km/h the 62 Kwh ( assuming 58 Kwh usable ) should easily have 300 km range @19 Kwh/100 Kms efficiency but finer weather should see less consumption.

A 45 Kwh charger should charge 46 Kw ( 80%) in 1 hr assuming around 20 deg C "Battery" temp, lower temps mean slower charging. Lets say 1 hr then that would give a range of about 240 Kms

Total range 540 kms with 1 hr charge. Or if someone can charge on AC at their destination that would mean the car could be charged to around 90% in 7.4 hrs at 7 Kw or 100% in maybe 8.5-9 Hrs which is perfect for over night stay.

Whether the ESB 150 Kw chargers have ChaDeMo remains to be seen but that would mean an 80% charge in 45 mins according to Nissan themselves which if true would only be around 15 mins slower than 45 Kw which means it probably won't spend much time at all at 100 Kw but it's supposed to charge more at 70 Kw which would make sense.

Either way with a 62 Kwh it means fast charging will be much less frequent and heat shouldn't be much of an issue at all especially with fan cooling.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭icom

Walkthrough of the updated 8" infotainment system in the new Leaf e+
    (starts 8 minutes into the video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS511pw4QXU

Having used BMW's fabulous iDrive system this looks very cumbersome and I'm not a fan of small touch screens in cars. They don't work nearly as good as the iDrive.

I know touch is all the rage today but there's a reason BMW don't use it because it's sh1t in a car, the i3 Screen is also larger and up more at eye level without having to look down so much.

Anyway , i'll be looking forward to a test drive in one.

Having used BMW's fabulous iDrive system this looks very cumbersome and I'm not a fan of small touch screens in cars. They don't work nearly as good as the iDrive.

I know touch is all the rage today but there's a reason BMW don't use it because it's sh1t in a car, the i3 Screen is also larger and up more at eye level without having to look down so much.

Anyway , i'll be looking forward to a test drive in one.

BMW = Good
    Nissan = Bad

I was shocked to see you post saying BMW is better :P

BMW = Good
    Nissan = Bad

I was shocked to see you post saying BMW is better :P

Ok so I guess I should have said the below in order not to offend non BMW owners...... I must try exclude BMW and i3 from all my comments , would that make people feel much better ? or perhaps not post at all. ;)

Touchscreens in car = Sh1t

Non touch screens = a lot better :pac:

Ok so I guess I should have said the below in order not to offend non BMW owners...... I must try exclude BMW and i3 from all my comments , would that make people feel much better ? or perhaps not post at all. ;)

Touchscreens in car = Sh1t

Non touch screens = a lot better :pac:

All you had to include is VW is best :D

• Advertisement

All you had to include is VW is best :D

Ah yeah that might work, because I don't own a VW I won't offend anyone either way ! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Idrive system in my F10 is better than my leaf imo too

Yeah I just don't get touch screens in cars, I guess it's just convenient for the manufacturers.

I'm sure if BMW thought it good enough they would have had touch screen a long time ago.

Reaching out and touching some screen with small icons is just a daft idea , the Idrive is at your finger tips without having to reach out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭jusmeig

Anyone know when u can get one here?

jusmeig wrote: »
    Anyone know when u can get one here?

I wouldn't expect it any time soon unless you were lucky enough to order one very early. Only 5000 for Europe for 2019.

https://www.drivingelectric.com/nissan/leaf/802/nissan-leaf-e-hits-3000-pre-orders-month

"A total of 5,000 examples of the Leaf e+ – featuring a 62kWh battery and 239-mile range – were earmarked for Europe, with 3,000 of those accounted for just over a month after the car’s launch at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas in January.

To be honest at 5 - 6 K more than the 40 Kwh if I were you I'd wait for the model 3 or at least by then you just might be able to pick up a 2nd hand Kona or Leaf 62 for less.

Model 3 will be an amazing car and standard Rear Wheel Drive which makes an absolute massive difference , Leaf 40 is a complete joke spinning wheels in damp and wet roads is an absolute pile of horse crap when trying to pull out fast from a junction and roundabouts and in general it would actually stop me buying it altogether, better tyres will help but they have too much torque , they need RWD. The i3 is much more grip and is very hard to get the wheels to spin, to say RWD makes a massive difference is an understatement.

https://www.drivingelectric.com/tesla/model-3/688/all-wheel-drive-tesla-model-3-will-have-338-mile-range-start-around-ps52k

"Late last year Tesla confirmed European pricing for the all-wheel-drive models of its Model 3 saloon, with the Long Range version coming in at €58,000 and the Performance variant at around €70,000."

- 10 K Grant + VRT relief. Base spec about 35-36 K Euro's after grant and VRT relief.

4.8 Seconds 0-60 Mph in basic spec will be amazing and it will cost almost as much as a Kona which is a cheap car with expensive battery.

It will cost as much as the Leaf 62 which is also a cheap car with expensive battery.

Tesla Model 3 really is a game changer and it will force manufacturers to finally reduce the cost of their cars.

I'll be due to change in November 2020 and I hope the Model 3 is available then because it's definitely going to be on my list if I intend to change, at some point I got to stop spending money on cars lol.

Model 3 will also have proper super charging capability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

@MADlad

I respected your posts and loved the i3 your version until...I read more and more how great it is on back roads and Leaf is a joke.
    That kind of attitude,honestly,is not healthy.For you and for BMW owners.

I have a leaf,getting maybe another one,I love driving style at peace and decent,on normal roads and motorways, love dashboard with touch screens but they are not crap if i3 doesn't have it...please,a bit of respect.

I'll have a cup of coffee with you while waiting to resolve any issues when REx goes in extended unplanned repair mode...and out of production from BMW themselves.

Until then,respect and enjoy it...

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭icom

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Great ré range but disappointing the cost is going up.

A good ice car can be bought for 30k new and even more choice 2nd hand. Even for the likes of me driving 500km a week which is 30eu diesel that's 1500 a year which gets me 10 years of driving before I break even with leaf plus without allowing for any elec costs.

Vw id range should tip the economics firmly towards EV by selling cars <30k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

These 35k model 3s are going to be available in the same showrooms as the unicorns. I can't believe some people are still "buying it".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

redlead wrote: »
    These 35k model 3s are going to be available in the same showrooms as the unicorns. I can't believe some people are still "buying it".

Unicorns?

Advertisement