Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

The NZXT are great cases in fairness, just a shame they have shíte airflow. Had an s340 for years that I did a couple rebuilds in and it was solid and a breeze to build in. Almost thought about doing a H210i build but decided against it.

Yeah even tearing it down i was struck by the quality again the same way I was when I first built it. Really nice case,a 320W 3080 was the final straw though,just need more airflow.

If I dont get the temps improvement I want I may look at replacing the tempered glass side panel in the CM H500,get one with a fan mount.

Best GPU temps I've ever had by a mile were with a Coolermaster HAF 912. A fan mount on the side panel is a good send for temps on a GPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

OSI wrote: »
    Most of the lower end cards now are just discards that didn’t make the cut for the model above, so it’s less about stretching capacity as utilising chips that would otherwise be for the skip.

What lower end cards? Nvidia's 3060ti is mid range, they don't appear to be making a low end part right now(GA106 chip).

AMD is literally making the 6800/6900 and thats it. The Navi and Polaris parts are gone, there is zero stock coming in globally. I see people saying that global foundries could go back to making older chips, but they are quite literally flat out with their 14nm nodes. I suspect some of that is simply the interposers for the Zen3 parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

EoinHef wrote: »
    Yeah even tearing it down i was struck by the quality again the same way I was when I first built it. Really nice case,a 320W 3080 was the final straw though,just need more airflow.

If I dont get the temps improvement I want I may look at replacing the tempered glass side panel in the CM H500,get one with a fan mount.

Best GPU temps I've ever had by a mile were with a Coolermaster HAF 912. A fan mount on the side panel is a good send for temps on a GPU.

I swapped out the glass front panel for the mesh on my H500 yesterday. My CPU temps dropped 10 degrees in gaming! I'm on a big air cooler so the airflow really helps.

Luck100 wrote: »
    I swapped out the glass front panel for the mesh on my H500 yesterday. My CPU temps dropped 10 degrees in gaming! I'm on a big air cooler so the airflow really helps.

Nice,mine came with the mesh attached and the glass panel in the case as an extra,defo be keeping the mesh. I actually only became interested in the case after they got rid of the glass panel.

Think it was on gamers nexus I saw them re review with the mesh I liked what I saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

I am having no luck this week when it comes to pc stuff,my sons 1080ti decided to die yesterday and today My cooler master V1000 psu decided to give up the ghost
    I checked warranty and its 6 weeks outside the warranty period on the PSU
    Buying a high end PSU in this climate of bull****tery is something i am not looking forward too.
    rant over!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    I am having no luck this week when it comes to pc stuff,my sons 1080ti decided to die yesterday and today My cooler master V1000 psu decided to give up the ghost
    I checked warranty and its 6 weeks outside the warranty period on the PSU
    Buying a high end PSU in this climate of bull****tery is something i am not looking forward too.
    rant over!

Really good chance that you don't need anywhere near 1000 watts, a 1080ti system would be around 600 max. There is stock, its not as bad as the graphics cards. Your f'd there.

Really good chance that you don't need anywhere near 1000 watts, a 1080ti system would be around 600 max. There is stock, its not as bad as the graphics cards. Your f'd there.

The psu was in my rig which has a 2080ti and a 5950x and a crap load of SSDs installed..whilst i agree with you that 1000w is overkill i bought that specific psu for the quality of its components and japanese capacitors more so than wattage...but now its after dying i thought i would get more than 4 yrs out of it

I was just looking at a 850w platinum seasonic psu with a 10yr guarantee over at caseking...finger is itching to pull the trigger..must not let the mrs see the credit card statement later haha

• Registered Users Posts: 21,610 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

The psu was in my rig which has a 2080ti and a 5950x and a crap load of SSDs installed..whilst i agree with you that 1000w is overkill i bought that specific psu for the quality of its components and japanese capacitors more so than wattage...but now its after dying i thought i would get more than 4 yrs out of it

I was just looking at a 850w platinum seasonic psu with a 10yr guarantee over at caseking...finger is itching to pull the trigger..must not let the mrs see the credit card statement later haha

Cooler master PSUs come with a 5 year warranty, worth trying your luck with customer service and getting a replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

Had a rattling noise from my PC that was driving me insane for a couple of weeks. Sounded a bit like a fan (I already had to up the minimum speed on my CPU fan as I found at a certain low speed it was actually noisier - kind of like it was having mini bursts of speed to maintain the RPM) but stopping each of those made no difference so checked eeeeeeverything. Table legs, glass panel, cables, mobo, rear panel...Lifting it up and putting it down again would stop it for while but it would always come back.

It turned out to be having 'Eco Mode' off on a 650w EVGA Supernova PSU. Sounded like 'tck tck tck tck tck tck' constantly. I'm sure I had it on before so must have hit it when replacing the GPU. Googling now to see if it's a known issue but it seems to usually work the other way and people are switching it off to avoid the noise (something to do with fan curves?).

Maybe it's always had this noise under load but I didn't notice it with all the other fans going and moving from 1070 to 3070 affected it but I was ready to throw the thing out the window. You should hear the silence now, it's beautiful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Things must be bad, CEX have no GPU’s, I was eyeing up a RTX2080ti as a upgrade from a 1080.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭Homelander

I will be moving around a lot the next while so I was thinking it would make sense to sell my PC as I won't get to use my desktop that much and it'll just sit there. I'm torn.

It's a 2700x with RTX3070, 16GB, 1TB NVME, the usual. Sell it while prices are good or put it 'in storage'....I have a 1660Ti laptop that would probably do me fine for gaming needs over the next 12 odd months.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Well I'll tell you this for nothing, you'll have no problem selling the GPU in it, if not the whole rig

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭JoyPad

It will sell like hot cakes, or whatever is hot these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

JoyPad wrote: »
    It will sell like hot cakes, or whatever is hot these days.

I'm surprised you don't have an offer yet here in this thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

I was going to ask how many PMs they had so far asking to buy the 3070 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭Homelander

Well I would definitely only sell it as a full unit otherwise it would kinda defeat the purpose...but you know what Adverts is like these days, you could have "no swaps or splitting" in massive neon capital letters

"how much for just the fan from the cpu cooler"

"would ya sell the 3070 for 400"

"swap your 2700x for my ryzen 1200 and 40 cash"

"offer 700 for full pc, do you ever be passing by dingle"

"swap for a bmx bike"

etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭jonski

Homelander wrote: »
    Well I would definitely only sell it as a full unit otherwise it would kinda defeat the purpose...but you know what Adverts is like these days, you could have "no swaps or splitting" in massive neon capital letters

how much for just the massive RGB neon capital letters ?

Is that really a big deal though?

Just say no. I don't really get the hate for adverts,ye there's silly people on it but I just say no to the silly questions.

I've nearly always sold the things I want to within a day or two and mostly got what I wanted for them.

The only minor inconvenience being having to say no to silly offers

EoinHef wrote: »
    Is that really a big deal though?

Just say no. I don't really get the hate for adverts,ye there's silly people on it but I just say no to the silly questions.

I've nearly always sold the things I want to within a day or two and mostly got what I wanted for them.

The only minor inconvenience being having to say no to silly offers

Some people are lucky with no hassle sales..other are tormented by dribbling idiots wanting to swap their voodoo 3 graphics card and 50 euros for your 3070 and wont take no for an answer:p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Just explain you have to buy a good one as the last died outside of warranty, so 10yr warranty is REQUIRED.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Something let out the magic smoke in my home server last night. Not grounding but tripping the breaker, two inline 13As intact. Hoping t'fúck its just the SFX PSU.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

You still using that ITX time bomb mobo? Hopefully wasn't that.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Mmm.

That board was reworked, the flaw tends to present as just no boot. Something here is dead short I'd say. Isolating the PSU is tricky so going to order in the hope that it's that.

Not sure where would be expedient, Amazon is ok ish for me, others have had it be massively slow. Scan will probably be hit for COD.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

He wanted €700 each for the 5700XTs. That is mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭SickBoy

He wanted €700 each for the 5700XTs. That is mental.

They're selling the entire rig, not just 6 GPUs.
    Granted, the spec of the rig isn't that impressive but t does contain a 1600w PSU.
    More like 650 each?
    Still silly money of course but it's not aimed at a gamer really. .

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

SickBoy wrote: »
    They're selling the entire rig, not just 6 GPUs.
    Granted, the spec of the rig isn't that impressive but t does contain a 1600w PSU.
    More like 650 each?
    Still silly money of course but it's not aimed at a gamer really. .

If you look at the offers he said to a fella he'd sell one for €700

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Aodhan5000 wrote: »
    If you look at the offers he said to a fella he'd sell one for €700

I get that but I don't think he wants to do that. Ideally he sells the entire rig.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

Anyone here have posture related problems from too much sitting incorrectly?

I gave the last 15+ years sitting 8 hours a day at a PC with bad posture and it's only late last year it finally caught up on me - back pain, and lately bad burning neck pain.

It got to the stage that I was dreading sitting at the desk. My job is desk based and there's not much choice for me to be sitting 8 hours a day - it hit my productivity big time at work. Plus, my gaming desktop ended up remaining powered off for weeks on end.

Thankfully though over the last few weeks, I've mastered good upright sitting posture along with getting back to my fitness regiment and it's pretty much fixed everything for me. I can enjoy a bit of gaming in the evening once more after a productive day at work.

I wish I realized the importance of good sitting posture years back.

• Advertisement

z0oT wrote: »
    Anyone here have posture related problems from too much sitting incorrectly?

I gave the last 15+ years sitting 8 hours a day at a PC with bad posture and it's only late last year it finally caught up on me - back pain, and lately bad burning neck pain.

It got to the stage that I was dreading sitting at the desk. My job is desk based and there's not much choice for me to be sitting 8 hours a day - it hit my productivity big time at work. Plus, my gaming desktop ended up remaining powered off for weeks on end.

Thankfully though over the last few weeks, I've mastered good upright sitting posture along with getting back to my fitness regiment and it's pretty much fixed everything for me. I can enjoy a bit of gaming in the evening once more after a productive day at work.

I wish I realized the importance of good sitting posture years back.

I'm not at that stage yet, but good chair & exercise are a must for us desk potatoes.

Advertisement