Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭B8ZZ

Has anyone here have a new build with an X570 and 5800X?

Did you need to flash the BIOS to get compatibility with the CPU?

Just built my PC there, and it powers up, from what I see all is good, but no display on screen

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

B8ZZ wrote: »
    Has anyone here have a new build with an X570 and 5800X?

Did you need to flash the BIOS to get compatibility with the CPU?

Just built my PC there, and it powers up, from what I see all is good, but no display on screen

Yes it needs a bios update.

Yes it needs a bios update.

Thanks for replying, to clarify, I can do this by just plugging a USB into the motherboard, and connect the HDMI to the motherboard aswell, and on bootup I should be brought to the BIOS?

Thanks for replying, to clarify, I can do this by just plugging a USB into the motherboard, and connect the HDMI to the motherboard aswell, and on bootup I should be brought to the BIOS?

HDMI has to be connected to a graphics card not the motherboard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Finally managed to get a creative G6 b stock. Had to stay up late to get one after being tipped that you can often grab them around 3am.

Still some there atm.

https://en.creative.com/p/b-stock/sound-blasterx-g6-b-stock#buy

• Registered Users Posts: 21,633 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Got collared for duty and vat on a set of GMK keycaps by UPS, wonder is it worth my time challenging them on it and saying they should be classed as computer parts? Or do accessories not fall under the duty exemption?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Got collared for duty and vat on a set of GMK keycaps by UPS, wonder is it worth my time challenging them on it and saying they should be classed as computer parts? Or do accessories not fall under the duty exemption?

I mean, are keycaps electronics?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

I mean, are keycaps electronics?

Is sand memory or CPU?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

You wont be able to boot with the cpu plugged in if the BIOS doesn't support it yet. Bit of a discussion on this in the ryzen thread. What board do you have? Does it have QFLASH?

• Advertisement

Sorted it, had to flash and then it allowed me to get in.

Have a separate issue now though, I’ve everything setup and going, Windows installed on my NVMe, the issue now is my secondary Toshiba X300 HDD, when it’s not connected into the motherboard, the boot time to get to Windows is mere seconds, but when the HDD is in it doesn’t get past the Motherboard brand screen, sitting there for ages to the point that I’m unsure if it gets to Windows.

Anyone have any ideas to sort this? In the BIOS it shows the HDD on the Sata port but that’s really it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Check in the BIOS for the boot order,make sure the NVMe is set as first priority while the HDD is connected

EoinHef wrote: »
    Check in the BIOS for the boot order,make sure the NVMe is set as first priority while the HDD is connected

That’s the thing, I’m certain it is, Boot Option #1 is the SSD while the HDD is #2, I save and reset and same issue, just sitting at the Motherboard splash screen

That’s the thing, I’m certain it is, Boot Option #1 is the SSD while the HDD is #2, I save and reset and same issue, just sitting at the Motherboard splash screen

My old PC would boot fine but a HDD but would cause the PC to slow down a lot. So I moved to all SSD's on that system about 6 or 7 years ago.

I haven't touched a HDD since then.

Would you not get rid of the spinning rust and move to SSD's. They are faster and aren't that expensive anymore.

What motherboard have ye got?

Have you noticed anything called hot plugging in the bios?

Would involve plugging the drive into the sata port when the PC is powered on

What motherboard have ye got?

Have you noticed anything called hot plugging in the bios?

Would involve plugging the drive into the sata port when the PC is powered on

Aorus X570 Pro

I was thinking that, be booted to windows and plug in then

If thats the Asus X570 Prime Pro it does support hot plugging,you can enable and disable it per sata port.

Might be worth giving a go. Obviously just be careful as the PC is powered.

Then I'd go to disk management and see if the drive shows

If thats the Asus X570 Prime Pro it does support hot plugging,you can enable and disable it per sata port.

Might be worth giving a go. Obviously just be careful as the PC is powered.

Then I'd go to disk management and see if the drive shows

Looks like it may be a faulty drive, I swapped in my initial 4tb hdd from my old pc and it works perfect no issues at all booting and Disk Management shows it fine, guess I’ll be looking to bring the faulty one back in

Finally got my Creative soundblaster G6. Paired with Beyer Dynamic DT 770 Pro 250ohm.

All I can say is wow. It's a totally different beast now. Had to tune it to my taste but it's super tuneable now with the g6. Volume can go at least 4 times higher than it could before without distortion. 50% volume is super loud but it doesn't distort if I go higher. For music they are amazing. Clarity is amazing, bass is great. Also tried out the scout mode for some fps gaming in warzone.

That game has notorious bad audio but the scout mode definitely made things a lot better. I can actually hear and pinpoint people a lot easier than before.

Overall I'm super impressed. Anyone with a decent set of cans should consider it if they don't already have a dac/amp. A bargain at €79 delivered from the b stock. Product was perfect as new.

Got the 770's for €80 Amazon Warehouse and the G6 for €80 B stock. I doubt you can get a better sound experience for less money.

Thanks to KillerShamrock and Squidgy Black for recommending this combo. It's sweet. Still have to grab a mod mic to complete it now.

Another Beyerdynamic user here. Absolutely love their signature sound. Beats even Sennheiser imo.

• Advertisement

Wasn't mad about how they sound at default with a flat EQ. A bit too bright and lacking bass a bit. Easily fixed with the G6 software. I looked at the frequency response graph for this model and adjusted the EQ by a few DB's up or down to compensate for where it went off track on the graph and to my taste. Put SBX settings bass at 50 and Crystaliser at 30 and they just sound great now. That's the music settings at least.

Easy to change between profiles for whatever content you want then. Tuning actually works with this combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,039 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

A work colleague is looking to get a new PC

Can get over the shortages on GPUs at the moment and the prices of some of them are ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Im helping a mate with a build for light racing, its lunacy. We're looking at getting a temporary GPU 2nd hand on fleabay for 6-9 mo then get something real.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

BTW Max Burns website, hosted on Linode in London but is it running like a dogggg for anyone else?

Anyone tried the new mesh shaders bench in 3dmark?

Massive performance uplift with little effect on image quality using mesh shaders.

Must check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭mp3guy

In a bit of a situation here, anyone have any thermal paste they could spare? Carrigaline area. Don't know where I can get any locally in any shops, not looking to trek into Cork City.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Does anyone know what courier Elara use? Their dispatch gave no tracking number or anything and I'd love to know when to expect it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

errlloyd wrote: »
    Does anyone know what courier Elara use? Their dispatch gave no tracking number or anything and I'd love to know when to expect it!
    They have life chat, ask there and they might tell by order number
    544107.PNG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

It arrived! And I can confirm it was a brand of delivery van that I had never seen before.

Advertisement