Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

HWinfo64 is probably the better system monitor then GPU-z is good also. If you have a Ryzen CPU then install Ryzen Master just to see temps and other things related to the CPU but do not overclock with it as you can but I wouldn't recommend it. If you want to overclock do so in the bios.

+1 for HWInfo64,it shows absolutely everything. You can also hide stuff if it shows too much

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

TheDoc wrote: »
    E10K was an absolute disaster for me.

USB port was rubbish so cables kept sliping out.
    When it would come out or unplug, would cause a bluescreen on PC.
    Random volume fluctuations.
    Drivers fiddly and a pain in the hole.

I went with a pair of AKG's paired with the E10k. Expensive all in, and actually one of the worst PC investments I made.

The AKG's developed what I learned was a FREQUENT problem with them with some cable coming lose. Fix is soldering. **** that. Couldn't get warranty honoured.

I'm going back to a logitech headset this Xmas. Tried the audiophile route, and even when it did all work, didn't really notice anything other then everything being LOUD.

Like my audiophile friend at work says : "Anything below 500€ mark is rubbish"
    I've some basic AKG, even without proper DAC/Amp the sound compared to the gaming headsets I used is quite big.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

yoshiktk wrote: »
    Like my audiophile friend at work says : "Anything below 500€ mark is rubbish"
    I've some basic AKG, even without proper DAC/Amp the sound compared to the gaming headsets I used is quite big.

All these things are incredibly subjective. Not everyone can hear wide frequency ranges.

Stupid DT770 250's are out of stock. Waiting on 2 things now both expected to ship on the 23rd though but I don't trust Dell on that 1 at all.

They have pushed back the expected date 3 times already. If another cheap GL 850 deal comes up I'm just going to order that instead.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

HWinfo64 is probably the better system monitor then GPU-z is good also. If you have a Ryzen CPU then install Ryzen Master just to see temps and other things related to the CPU but do not overclock with it as you can but I wouldn't recommend it. If you want to overclock do so in the bios.

Cheers. Yeah was lucky enough to get a 5600X so will get that Ryzen software. Won't be overclocking right away but would like to dable in it at some point when I'm comfortable enough with that side of things.

BloodBath wrote: »
    All these things are incredibly subjective. Not everyone can hear wide frequency ranges.

Stupid DT770 250's are out of stock. Waiting on 2 things now both expected to ship on the 23rd though but I don't trust Dell on that 1 at all.

They have pushed back the expected date 3 times already. If another cheap GL 850 deal comes up I'm just going to order that instead.

Totally agree with the subjective thing. My mates think i'm crazy that i have so many headphones and audio gear. They all sound the same is what i'm constantly told but i like the hobby and it keeps me out of trouble. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Got my B550 Gaming Plus back last night, tested it and it's grand. Dunno what magic they did to it but it's working now. Did the bios flash thing to test it. Connected 24pin ATX and 8 pin CPU, popped a usb drive in the back, hit the button and it all powered on, light flashed for a few mins while the bios was flashed and then it went idle. Pretty cool feature.

And then I spent 3 minutes today claiming a€30 rebate form MSI on the purchase. Just had to put in the SN, my invoice and a picture of the SN on the product and then input my bank details and in 2 weeks MSI will out €30 into my bank account.
    Handy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Anyone else looking at this? :)

Gamers Nexus vs. JayzTwoCents Overclocking on RTX 3090s.

EVGA stream:

GN Stream:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,890 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Is Steve wiping up with Jay like during the tech support challenge?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Anyone any use for a G540 and 4GB of DDR3 (2x2)?

And a probably broken, defo Euro plug Logitech Formula Force EX?

Dublin 5.

Passive SFX PSUs - is the Nightjar still the only game in town? This is for an Ivy Bridge i5 machine so £150 makes it worth about £149 more than the entire system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Why not just go semi-passive? If it's a HTPC it'll pull feck-all power anyway. 600W Corsair SFX unit is £117 on Scan, and its fan is never going to spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

ED E wrote: »
    While everyone was slurping up Sabrents SSDs I said feck it and got one.

mnOqHU1l.jpg

r3Jh0Ld.pngvu14ILZ.png
    R2NNiIS.pngf0Zl5qc.png

The PCIE3 version? Yeah, I'm on Haswell so pointless going for PCIE4 and it had sold out when I made up my mind. Booting back up I noticed my 950 Pro OS drive is listed in the bios as an ATA device while the Sabrent shows as NVMe as it should. The 950 is in an adapter as the onboard M.2 is stupidly curtailed to 2x lanes instead of 4x.

Probably should get another of the ECM25+drive and migrate my OS over. The Sabrent is intended as yet another games drive and media caching (ingest from SD cards). Only thing is it has an onboard blue LED that would be fierce annoying on a drive that's always active. Should be easy to sharpie over.
    And how would it compare to Samsung 970 EVO plus 1TB?
    Current price hammered down on AMZ
    Would it still outperform/same/worse taking price into consideration?
    Just thinking to give myself Xmas present....

:D to late. Took a punt and ordered two kits of Samsung+PCIe adapter. Will see how it goes....

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭cromelex

Finally finished my build this weekend!

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/cromelex/saved/WDrsLk

In the end decided to keep the 3080 I managed to get my hands on, so now rocking a Zen3 + Ampere.

Eyhm1Hsl.jpg

dmwnFsil.jpg

No real case as I'm using a Ikea Besta as my "case". This is a 4k 60+fps build, shall be hooked up to the TV.

More Pics and video:
    https://imgur.com/a/VBLLKpi

Snazzy!

I asked over in Android but wondering iof anyone is any good with Android tablets? Is it possible to force a newer version on Android onto an old tablet? In this case a Teclast X70 R.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

cromelex wrote: »
    Finally finished my build this weekend

More Pics and video:
    https://imgur.com/a/VBLLKpi

Damn this is cool as ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

I asked over in Android but wondering iof anyone is any good with Android tablets? Is it possible to force a newer version on Android onto an old tablet? In this case a Teclast X70 R.

Xda can hsve an answer, but besides puting custom rom I dont think its possible, could be wrong thou.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

yoshiktk wrote: »
    Xda can hsve an answer, but besides puting custom rom I dont think its possible, could be wrong thou.

Yep custom ROM is the only way as the manufacturers stop supporting them 1 to 2 years after the release date.

Back in the day I used to install every custom ROM but can't be bothered any more as some do be buggy messes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,324 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 81,890 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Is the LG 27GL850 the go to monitor these days. I have a dell S2417DG and wonder if it’s worth the upgrade seeing the GL850 is on sale

The GL850 is on sale on Amazon.de atm for €350, about €365 delivered. Good price but I was worried by the amount of people complaining about bad IPS glow / back light bleed with a lot of pictures showing it.

https://www.amazon.de/LG-27GL850-B-UltraGear-Monitor-schwarz/dp/B07T7K2V7L

I ordered one of these, it's reasonably better but costs a fair bit more and it's not in stock.

https://www.dell.com/en-ie/shop/dell-27-gaming-monitor-s2721dgfa/apd/210-axrq/monitors-monitor-accessories

Better again would be the MSI MAG274QRF-QD but again no shops with stock of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Nibs05

The GL850 is on sale on Amazon.de atm for €350, about €365 delivered. Good price but I was worried by the amount of people complaining about bad IPS glow / back light bleed with a lot of pictures showing it.

https://www.amazon.de/LG-27GL850-B-UltraGear-Monitor-schwarz/dp/B07T7K2V7L

I ordered one of these, it's reasonably better but costs a fair bit more and it's not in stock.

https://www.dell.com/en-ie/shop/dell-27-gaming-monitor-s2721dgfa/apd/210-axrq/monitors-monitor-accessories

Better again would be the MSI MAG274QRF-QD but again no shops with stock of it.

I guess the Dell uses the panel as LG, I’ll check reviews on both.

If you want something soon grab a GL 850, you might be waiting until the new year for either of the other 2.

Anybody order from the Amazon warehouse? What was your experience with it?

Was the item as good as new? Damaged or faulty?

Decided to take a chance on it. The headphones I ordered were on a 30% discount. Can return it within 30 days if there's a problem.

Cancelled the previous order. It's not in stock yet anyway.

DT770 250 Ohm's for only £69.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0006NL5SM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Was the item as good as new? Damaged or faulty?

A few times yep, no issues, might be a scratch on the item itself, usually too small to see.
    I got a mechancial keyboard a few years ago, half price, seemingly had scratches on the back which was why it was sent back. Who looks at the back of a keyboard? Its still going strong.
    The only snag is that if something expensive fails that you only have a 1 year warranty verus some companies that give you 2-3.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Just recieved a Steelseries Apex Pro TKL. It is new without the sticky clingy coverings to peel off. Very happy with it.

• Advertisement

errlloyd wrote: »
    Just recieved a Steelseries Apex Pro TKL. It is new without the sticky clingy coverings to peel off. Very happy with it.

That's the keyboard i use. So so good.

The Arctis Pro Wireless i got the other day on Amazon Warehouse deal for €150 arrived. Brand new even though described as Used Like New. Result !

Advertisement