Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

xtal191 wrote: »

Honestly I'm pretty lost when it comes to dac/amps. I don't really want to spend too much either. ( The headphones were only £70 )

That would be a significant step up from the fiio E10K I assume?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Jimson wrote: »
    Anyone know where i can get 2*8gb DDR3 for a good price.
    What is "good" for you? DDR3 dropped price on amazon . At time(2013~2014) i paid ~200.
    You need to check compatibility with your system.
    Second hand on adverts, CeX or similar should be available.

Would a new single stick of 8GB and current 4GB run in dual channel if the speeds are the same.
    i think NO, it has to be matching pair
    Here you go:
    https://www.compuram.de/blog/en/single-dual-and-multi-channel-memory-modes/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

Anyone know where i can get 2*8gb DDR3 for a good price.

Currently have 2*4GB. Motherboard only has two slots.

Would a new single stick of 8GB and current 4GB run in dual channel if the speeds are the same.

Just getting the last legs out of my 1150 xeon 4 core 8 thread and GTX 970 so dont want to spend much on it.

RAM isn't expensive anymore. £59 for 16GB Corsair Vengence Pro, new.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Those latest bargains are great, 2tb ssd for £149,not sure why anyone would stuck a mechanical one into a pc these days (outside of NAS or an external backup)! Must offload a few of my internal ~500gb ones from when they were more expensive, cable management nightmare when you have 4/5 tucked in the back.

Seems the days of high RAM, SSDs prices are gone, now it's the CPU and GPU's bankrupting us :)

G502 for £30 is decent too, great mouse if you can like that black/white colour scheme.

It's still 1/3 the price for a 2TB HDD. For simple storage where speed is not important they still make sense. They aren't that sluggish either even for games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Yeah I still rock 3tb of HDD,there's a few games on there,mostly ones that have short load times or i don't play often and then a ton of pictures,few movies and load of other bits.

For faster storage then i use m.2 and a sata ssd,mostly for OS and games. Some college stuff i want to access quickly.

Saves a bit on cost having a mix,I do look forward to the day when SSDs are so cheap it makes sense to have everything stored on them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

*laughs in SSD*

Managed to snag a 4TB 860 QVO for £320 a while back. Downloaded all the things.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

M.2 drives are a relatively new concept to me, not needing to plug in any cables is fantastic and the only kind of drive I'd use from now on.

Also, I see Steam's Autumn Sale started today and goes on until Dec 1st, some tastey discounts to be had. Not complaining or anything but isn't it Winter now? :D

Serephucus wrote: »
    *laughs in SSD*

Managed to snag a 4TB 860 QVO for £320 a while back. Downloaded all the things.

Nice to have in fairness.

£320 is a fair chunk of change though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,839 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

EoinHef wrote: »
    Nice to have in fairness.

£320 is a fair chunk of change though!!

Think of all the time he's saving though.

• Advertisement

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Think of all the time he's saving though.

I reckon I've saved a solid 20 minutes over the past year. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Andrew76 wrote: »
    M.2 drives are a relatively new concept to me, not needing to plug in any cables is fantastic and the only kind of drive I'd use from now on.

Also, I see Steam's Autumn Sale started today and goes on until Dec 1st, some tastey discounts to be had. Not complaining or anything but isn't it Winter now? :D

Winter begins at the solstice, 21st / 22nd December.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

My gaming desktop has 5TB of SSDs.

Aorus PCIe 4.0 1TB M.2 for the OS
    Corsair MP510 2TB M.2 for Games
    Crucial 2TB MX550 SATA SSD for everything else

It's a bit like a rite of passage to eliminate all the mechanical drives, the silence is amazing.

M.2 drives then are great for compact builds, not having SATA cables or SATA power to route simplifies things immensely..

z0oT wrote: »
    It's a bit like a rite of passage to eliminate all the mechanical drives, the silence is amazing.

It's one of those "Yup, this is the future" things.
    Also the silence is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,320 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Serephucus wrote: »
    It's one of those "Yup, this is the future" things.
    Also the silence is great.

Silence is nice, but I remember in old days the clicking noise coming from Hdd could help You identify virus infection. That rampart disk spin up in desktop indicating that something is going wrong. Nothing like this now. They should do like some electric car makers do, add option to emulate engine. Hmm thats an app idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Shlippery wrote: »

G502 for £30 is decent too, great mouse if you can like that black/white colour scheme.......

Knowing nothing about mouses, is this wireless version at £60 worth getting for my gamer son ( he says he needs a new mouse).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-G502-Wireless-Programmable-Next-Generation/dp/B07QKC4WWD?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=579GVZ70H6HC8CR02S7R&pf_rd_p=fa58c7e2-b202-4081-b6c5-89fee8951ce7

or are there better ones in the price range.

Thanks.

Knowing nothing about mouses, is this wireless version at £60 worth getting for my gamer son ( he says he needs a new mouse).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-G502-Wireless-Programmable-Next-Generation/dp/B07QKC4WWD?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=579GVZ70H6HC8CR02S7R&pf_rd_p=fa58c7e2-b202-4081-b6c5-89fee8951ce7

Thanks.

It's a heavy mouse but at that price it's a steal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Thanks.

I really like the G502, but not great for gaming.
    As a principle, look at this list. Each line can be clicked for a full review. The Viper is cheap, but wired. As wireless mice go, the price is steep. My son has a G Pro Wireless (~90 stg) and loves it. The top mouse on the list costs about 100 stg.

• Advertisement

z0oT wrote: »
    My gaming desktop has 5TB of SSDs.

Aorus PCIe 4.0 1TB M.2 for the OS
    Corsair MP510 2TB M.2 for Games
    Crucial 2TB MX550 SATA SSD for everything else

M.2 drives then are great for compact builds, not having SATA cables or SATA power to route simplifies things immensely..

A 1tb m.2 just for the OS? The OS must think its home is very roomy:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

sticking it here first rather than on adverts (because someone would take it simply because it's free rather than having a use for it). not that i expect anyone to take it.

if anyone feels they have too much room on their desk, i have one of these in perfect working order, free to a good home. i am not putting it in the post, it weighs as much as a small moon but has great image quality.

https://www.cnet.com/products/compaq-p1220-crt-monitor-22-series/

534244.jpg

collection in D9 if anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

..and that can of "fuel" comes as part of the deal to allow this hardware to run...
    :D

Might be worth posting that in the A&R forum too if you haven't already.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

aha, will do. took me a couple of seconds to cop A&R!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Would love that meself. Was looking for a CRT a while back on adverts n' found nothing but gunk. Unfortunately too far and heavy to get it, especially with the situation.

Curious if anyone on here has ordered a monitor from ccl? I think they ship by DPD like scan which is great but does it come packaged inside a second plain box or just the original monitor box itself?

How many of ye have the Creative Soundblaster G6?

Tempted by the half price offer but reading a lot of people have issues with them. Usually with the software. The mic amp/adc is supposed to be bad as well. It's fairly poorly constructed and light as well compared to some of the ones on Amazon.

What is b stock anyway?

Still can't decide what dac/amp to get. The g6 even at €79 would be the upper end of my budget for 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Curious if anyone on here has ordered a monitor from ccl? I think they ship by DPD like scan which is great but does it come packaged inside a second plain box or just the original monitor box itself?

I got 3 cases delivered by ccl last week..all were in the original boxes..no outer boxes..last time i bought a monitor was from scan and it was just original box taped up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭xtal191

BloodBath wrote: »
    How many of ye have the Creative Soundblaster G6?

Tempted by the half price offer but reading a lot of people have issues with them. Usually with the software. The mic amp/adc is supposed to be bad as well. It's fairly poorly constructed and light as well compared to some of the ones on Amazon.

What is b stock anyway?

Still can't decide what dac/amp to get. The g6 even at €79 would be the upper end of my budget for 1.

I have a b stock one a few months now, its great and haven't had any problems with it at all. Although I've only ever used headphones with it, no mic and I never installed the software just plug and play.

I doubt you'll get better for less than €79

Advertisement