Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

.G. wrote: »
    Most of the 2080ti's on adverts are up for 700 minimum. Its all well and good saying a 3070 costs whatever or a 3080 costs what it costs but you cant get any so no use. Not saying people will get the prices they ask for but I wouldn't be sticking it up for less just because the newer ones are similar for the money they cost. If someone wants that type of performance now they'll pay for it.

Doesn't effect me anyway my old cards go to my son when I upgrade so if I can get my hands on a 6900xt my 2080ti is going to him.

I love you daddy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Gentleman, quick question would Google Chromecast be the best way to hook up second monitor wirelessly? Have PC in living room connected by 5m usb/hdmi thru wall. To drag another HDMI cable I would need to move loads of stuff, two bookshelf filled to max, as I am lazy potato im looking for easiest option.
    Good idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

yoshiktk wrote: »
    Gentleman, quick question would Google Chromecast be the best way to hook up second monitor wirelessly? Have PC in living room connected by 5m usb/hdmi thru wall. To drag another HDMI cable I would need to move loads of stuff, two bookshelf filled to max, as I am lazy potato im looking for easiest option.
    Good idea?

I don't think chromecast work like that but I could be wrong. They are used to transfer a image or video file from phone to Tv/monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,040 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Cast will work on the chrome browser as well. IDK, it seems like limited use but it should work

• Advertisement

I would need only like open chrome on the second monitor.
    What's worst bought AOC without Vesa mount. Plan of using desk mount for both is no no.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Haven't even got my Dell monitor yet and it seems there's a new king of the 27" 1440p monitor market.

It's not in any shops here yet though and it's going to be around €100 more.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Any recomendations for a PCIE riser?
    My new case has a bracket for vertical mounting, but didn't inclide a riser. It has ridiculous airflow so I wanna go mad and nerd it out completely.

Any recomendations for a PCIE riser?
    My new case has a bracket for vertical mounting, but didn't inclide a riser. It has ridiculous airflow so I wanna go mad and nerd it out completely.

What's the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Im sure it was jayz2cents that said on a recent video that he got a riser cable for his GPU but the cable was only pcie 3x4 rated and basically caused problems being plugged into his x570 board,Something to do with pcie 4 lanes crossover.
    some discussion about it here
    https://www.overclock.net/threads/how-to-mount-video-card-horizontally-with-riser-cable-3080-aspirations-but-case-too-small.1773791/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    Im sure it was jayz2cents that said on a recent video that he got a riser cable for his GPU but the cable was only pcie 3x4 rated and basically caused problems being plugged into his x570 board,Something to do with pcie 4 lanes crossover.
    https://www.overclock.net/threads/how-to-mount-video-card-horizontally-with-riser-cable-3080-aspirations-but-case-too-small.1773791/

I was thinking that myself, as the speeds increase riser cables will become less and less effective unless there is a real effort to make top quality cables.

I was thinking that myself, as the speeds increase riser cables will become less and less effective unless there is a real effort to make top quality cables.

You could always set the PCIe slot to gen 3 in the BIOS and run with the riser cable if your set on using a vertical mounted GPU.
    Top tip, there's 0 difference between gen 3 and gen 4 currently.

SickBoy wrote: »
    What's the case?

GameMax F15.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

SickBoy wrote: »
    You could always set the PCIe slot to gen 3 in the BIOS and run with the riser cable if your set on using a vertical mounted GPU.
    Top tip, there's 0 difference between gen 3 and gen 4 currently.

That might change with the release of the 5k Ryzens, combined with resizable memory allocations on the gpu's. It should remove the cpu from limiting the bandwidth available.

Had to return a motherboard to CCl (arrived dead) and just for confirmation they've received it.

Now it's in quarantine?!? How long does that **** last?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Had to return a motherboard to CCl (arrived dead) and just for confirmation they've received it.

Now it's in quarantine?!? How long does that **** last?

surely they could just disinfect it

Hyzepher wrote: »
    surely they could just disinfect it

****ing bin it for all.incare, the thing is dead. But yeah spray it down with isopropyl alcohol and leave it for a minute and you're grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

GameMax F15.

I have built in that case before..great airflow and a real pleaser for the younger ones with all the RGBs options

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

GN talking about the possibility of designing a case.

I have built in that case before..great airflow and a real pleaser for the younger ones with all the RGBs options

I've built in the Kamikaze Pro and loved it. This seems like the big brother with a few improvements. Looking forward to finishing the build (whenever the **** that happens).

• Advertisement

Here's a weird one. CCL are saying they "couldn't replicate fault" and are sending the board back to me.

I tested it with 2 different PSUs, 2 different sets of ram, with and without a CPU installed. Tried using case power button and jumping the pins directly and nothing happened, zero life from the board.
    I believe them if they say its working but haven't a ****ing clue how they can get it to show life but I couldn't?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

you are probably getting a stealth refurbished one

Hyzepher wrote: »
    you are probably getting a stealth refurbished one

If it looka new and works I honestly don't care once they honour the warranty etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

If anyone is interested decent discount on X570 boards on amazon , I see MSI Tomahawk is down to £189

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Pangea wrote: »
    If anyone is interested decent discount on X570 boards on amazon , I see MSI Tomahawk is down to £189

That's close to MSRP & same price as it was in Germany.

Not complaining though; it's a great board & I'm loving mine.

Whole range of MSI is on sale. Havent checked yet how good they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

TBH I'm finding more and more the default cables with decent power supplies and cases are grand - usually all black and pretty discrete.
    I’m still rocking an old PSU trough multiple builds that has the red orange and black. It’s a horror haha.

I have to keep running the mobo cable across the motherboard itself. Think it’s so old that it’s just not for what cases are designed like these days.

Was toying with replacing it but the thought of opening the pc and doing stuff again haha.

Think I’m going to just leave off upgrades for another two years then do a fresh build

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    That's close to MSRP & same price as it was in Germany.

Not complaining though; it's a great board & I'm loving mine.

Yea. I have the Tomahawk too. Great board and that's a good price for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Any suggestions for good cases for the X570 MSI tomahawk?
    Would like to utilize the front usb ports the board offers.
    See below

USB 3.2 PORTS (FRONT)
    1(Gen 2, Type C), 4(Gen 1, Type A)

USB 2

Regarding this again , the Fractal design 7 says it supports on the front USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C with fast charging and speeds up to 10Gbps.

Now the X570 tomahawk has a 3.2 gen 2 type c header ,
    I am aware of the atrocious naming systems of the new usbs, but going by above the Fractal support wouldn't support the 3.2. gen 2 or are they the same thing?

• Advertisement

WTS Kidney, slightly used, can post.
    https://youtu.be/Qa0jZnrQrIA

Advertisement