Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Any folks here using dual monitors with monitor arms? I'm getting a second 27" monitor and looking for any recommendations for a decent arm setup? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I ordered these. Looks good, has some cable management, and the only cheaper ones that allowed vertical and horizontal alignment.

They do need near a foot of clearance behind the desk if there's a wall and you want the monitors at max distance though.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0861284GB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0119RCQWW/

This is the one I have. 22" on the left, 27" on the right in my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Two Ergotron LXs here.

Thanks for those suggestions folks, the gas powered ones need too much space behind the desk unfortunately and the Ergotron is too pricey, so went with the VonHaus in the end. Ordered the AOC 27G2U from ccl so hopefully they'll fit together. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I'm not sure I like where that cartoon is suggesting he's putting those cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

I'm not sure I like where that cartoon is suggesting he's putting those cables.
    What "plug" into what "hole" you suggest ?
    And is it before they finish assembling computer or after ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

I'm wiping an old Windows Vista laptop for family, just wondering if there is any value to retaining the product key? Is it possible to use it and then upgrade for free to Windows 10? I doubt it, but might be worth a shot?

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Gumbi wrote: »
    I'm wiping an old Windows Vista laptop for family, just wondering if there is any value to retaining the product key? Is it possible to use it and then upgrade for free to Windows 10? I doubt it, but might be worth a shot?

AFAIK you can only upgrade for free to win 10 from windows 7 or windows 8.1

EDIT : ok i did a bit of research and it is possible..but it depends..here is a site that can run you thru it
    https://www.windowscentral.com/how-upgrade-windows-vista-windows-10#upgrade_vista_windows10

• Advertisement

Soooo...., got some my early Xmas bits:
    PCIe-to-m.2 adapter
    970 EvoPlus 1TB
    heatsink

Upgraded UEFI on my SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 from v2301 to v2901

Cloned C drive from 860Evo 1TB

Speed outcome satisfactory (mind its PCIe Gen2 ) , but temp...its like mirror reflection vs 860Evo...will have to reduce house heating :D.
    Not sure if will help, might have to shop for better heatsink
    What you think?

534459.JPG

534461.JPG

Somethings not right there. You shouldnt be able to get that above ambient at 2.0 speeds.

Get rid of the heatsink, its probably garbage. Or maybe you forgot to take off the film before you applied it? The only people who should need an SSD heatsink are those running them full tilt all day at 4.0 4x speeds.

ED E wrote: »
    Somethings not right there. You shouldnt be able to get that above ambient at 2.0 speeds.

Get rid of the heatsink, its probably garbage. Or maybe you forgot to take off the film before you applied it? The only people who should need an SSD heatsink are those running them full tilt all day at 4.0 4x speeds.
    ALL films are off, even Samsung label that voids warranty :D
    It has dropped down to 60 now, guess high temp was due to test load.
    Still bit steep... was running Halo of it for last hour or so, if that would effect.

You recon "bad" heatsink could have less disapation than no heatsink.
    Not saying airflow is perfect, but never had overheating issues and SATA show cool

My SSDs are at 37-8*C. If I write them at full tilt they rise by 1*C.

60 is bonkers, nevermind 70.

Current, say ~15 min off the game.
    Box temp on glass thermometer inside ~39 - small office room, closed doors.
    Will try to shutdown, allow to cool and start with heatsink removed.

534467.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    AFAIK you can only upgrade for free to win 10 from windows 7 or windows 8.1

EDIT : ok i did a bit of research and it is possible..but it depends..here is a site that can run you thru it
    https://www.windowscentral.com/how-upgrade-windows-vista-windows-10#upgrade_vista_windows10

Interesting! Thanks, I'll have a look.

Here it goes...
    As i was "good boy" i got two sets and instead of ripping off heatsink i just installed second kit without heatsink next to each other...
    Room temp~27
    Box temp ~35 in 30min time (with only browser, SamMag and AI running)
    At the start, heatsink keep NVMe temp by ~5 degree lower than one without, but in 5 min time they equal, in next 5 as temp rise, drive with heatsink show better levels by miserable 1-4 degree(kind of nearly wasted £5 :D)
    I see there are other people on net having same high tepm reported with 970EvoPlus

Conclusion:
    even its sh!ty, heatsink does have 1-5 degree positive effect
    might see if can improve airflow and/or drop room temp
    534472.JPG534473.JPG

After running bench on drive without heatsink. From SamMag.
    Amazing 52GB written data after one run !!!! WTF !!! Can it be real?

534477.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

GPUs are like gold dust this week, any mid range card I searched either says out of stock or end of life/ discontinued. Bad time to be building, will there be a restock before Christmas does anyone think or what's going on?

No chance, they have stopped making some of the last gen mid range cards completely.

For mid range and lower cards the second hand market is the way to go until we get next gen mid range. Could be waiting 2-3+ months for good stock on those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

BloodBath wrote: »
    No chance, they have stopped making some of the last gen mid range cards completely.

For mid range and lower cards the second hand market is the way to go until we get next gen mid range. Could be waiting 2-3+ months for good stock on those.

Where's the best place to buy second hand cards? and is it advisable?, I would guess you have no comeback if your aren't happy with it.

Speed outcome satisfactory (mind its PCIe Gen2 ) , but temp...its like mirror reflection vs 860Evo...will have to reduce house heating :D.
    Not sure if will help, might have to shop for better heatsink
    What you think?

534459.JPG

How did you manage to show the drive name at the bottom or did you just add it yourself? It's blank for me. :confused:

534498.png

Andrew76 wrote: »
    How did you manage to show the drive name at the bottom or did you just add it yourself? It's blank for me. :confused:

534498.png
    Click and type, its comment field

Pangea wrote: »
    Where's the best place to buy second hand cards? and is it advisable?, I would guess you have no comeback if your aren't happy with it.

Adverts tends to be ok if not overpriced but no harm making lower offers. Not sure if I'd recommended ebay. Had a bad experience buying a card from there but in fairness it was resolved and I got the card I ordered in the end.

It should be fine as long as you stick with a decent brand/quality unit. These things are designed to run 24/7 for years if needed.

If you're buying something like a 5700//2060/2070 level card it's no more than 12-18 months old anyway. Fairly young a gpu.

The higher demand on second hand parts is probably gonna push those prices up as well. Just had a look there now and there's virtually nothing available there either and what is there is priced like new.

Update1
    Chatted with Samsung... waste of time, no direct answer, just links with suggestion to contact "other" support team, WTF.
    Any way, temps settle down a bit when in normal use, but if do test transfer (~100GB) it goes crazy. Temps checks with DH Sentinel.
    Fired mail inquiry to Sams support - not expecting much, but they might confirm its "expected" working status.

Don't see how i can improve airflow in this box - there is 80mm wide direct path from front 200mm fan to the back of the case, no obstructions apart one GPU power ribbon cable(will adjust that on next power off)

Will update once(if) get reply from Samsung...

534580.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Was looking at coolers for my 5600x which is due in a few weeks. Was gonna get a decent tower for 50-60 quid and then saw that CCL had an MSI AIO for £99 which has €20 cash back rebate + assassin's creed Valhalla for free with purchase. Was gonna buy AC this week so two birds one stone.

After the rebate and taking away the price of AC from the AIO cost, it works out at spending €31 for the AIO.

I'm happy with that!

MSI too so will sync with my motherboard and fan RGB perfectly using the MSI software.

Looking forward to this build :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Just looking at the mindfactory sales figures, they are pretty much sold out of everything. Nearly 2k AMD 5k cards sold last week. Its obvious that a fecking crypto boom is incoming and it seems like we are getting a repeat of 2018 for the gpu market for the next while.

They must be hitting the second hand market as well. Very few of those gpu's around. They can feck right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,698 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Just looking at the mindfactory sales figures, they are pretty much sold out of everything. Nearly 2k AMD 5k cards sold last week. Its obvious that a fecking crypto boom is incoming and it seems like we are getting a repeat of 2018 for the gpu market for the next while.

Why do you think it's crypto?

IMO it's just people treating themselves to space heaters that can also play games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Why do you think it's crypto?

IMO it's just people treating themselves to space heaters that can also play games.

Hey the 57xx cards were not bad money when they dropped a little in price.

But yeah, retailers getting emptied of stock like that in Germany is not normal.

Advertisement