Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Be careful or you might go down the audio rabbit hole like what happened to me a few years ago. So many sets of headphones. :D

Same here. I've lost count of the amount of headphones I've gotten over the years - all in search of something I could wear for long periods without getting uncomfortable (wearing glasses doesn't help) - HyperX CloudX, ATH-M50X etc. These days my go to for wireless are the Bose QC35 but for comfort nothing comes close to Seinnheiser HD 599, amazing they are. For a mic I use the Samson G-Track Pro which is stupidly overkill for my needs, have the ModMic but it's too fiddly imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,016 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I just bought new pads for my G930 headset. I don't even use it that often these days, but there's nothing wrong with it aside from the leather pads were snowing black dandruff everywhere. Might get back into them now that they aren't muffed up.
    BloodBath wrote: »
    Mic and Dac can be got down the line so I don't mind that. Just want a good set of cans for now.

What's the max ohms that can be powered by the PC connections?

Headphones are definitely the hardest thing to decide on. A lot of the info is subjective with hard to test scientifically variables and a lot of complex science going on behind the scenes.

Any good audiophile sites that test these things?

the rear jacks are TRS standard. x

https://www.headphonesty.com/2019/04/headphone-jacks-plugs-explained/

You'll find here a compare between the AC1200 and AC1220 which are common atm on boards:

https://www.igorslab.de/en/realtek-alc1200-demystifies-what-different-the-beginner-soundchip-is-really-different-from-the-larger-alc1220/

tldr about 100-120 dB output; ALC1220 can power up to 600 Ω headphones.

BloodBath wrote: »
    Mic and Dac can be got down the line so I don't mind that. Just want a good set of cans for now.

What's the max ohms that can be powered by the PC connections?

Headphones are definitely the hardest thing to decide on. A lot of the info is subjective with hard to test scientifically variables and a lot of complex science going on behind the scenes.

Any good audiophile sites that test these things?

Most new motherboards have decent audio on them these days but i wouldn't go any higher than 250ohms.

Some good YouTube channels that talk about gaming performance would be Wheezy Tech, DMS, Badseed Tech and Joshua Velour. Worth a watch as they know what they're talking about when it comes to good audio.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Same here. I've lost count of the amount of headphones I've gotten over the years - all in search of something I could wear for long periods without getting uncomfortable (wearing glasses doesn't help) - HyperX CloudX, ATH-M50X etc. These days my go to for wireless are the Bose QC35 but for comfort nothing comes close to Seinnheiser HD 599, amazing they are. For a mic I use the Samson G-Track Pro which is stupidly overkill for my needs, have the ModMic but it's too fiddly imo.

I kept four pairs of high end cans but have sold the rest. I'm happy with them now and won't buy any more unless maybe if i win the lotto.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Thanks for all the info.

It's crazy how much a lot of us spend on other parts for best framerates and graphics then scrimp on the sound.

It makes a big difference but I'm still scrimping on it. It's a slippery slope though.

I'm just glad I haven't heard just how good real high end sets are. Those DT770's are going to sound amazing compared to the crap I'm using atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,623 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

It's worth grabbing something like the Fiio E10K DAC for the sake of 60/70 quid to get the best experience if you're gonna go with the DT770s to be honest.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

JoyPad wrote: »
    Yeah, same here, and more than once. The local AnPost delivery is a joke. I constantly receive mail for other people, and some times my mail arrives at other people's house. Including parcels.

Just got An Post knocking on the door with a delivery for the misses! Then I get a text from them saying my missing Amazon order that I refunded will be arriving within 3 days (which usually means tomorrow). Presumably Amazon will cancel the refund once they see the delivery confirmation (fine by me).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Any suggestions for good cases for the X570 MSI tomahawk?
    Would like to utilize the front usb ports the board offers.
    See below

USB 3.2 PORTS (FRONT)
    1(Gen 2, Type C), 4(Gen 1, Type A)

USB 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Pangea wrote: »
    Any suggestions for good cases for the X570 MSI tomahawk?
    Would like to utilize the front usb ports the board offers.
    See below

USB 3.2 PORTS (FRONT)
    1(Gen 2, Type C), 4(Gen 1, Type A)

USB 2

Fractal Design Define 7

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

In no order:
    NZXT H510
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
    Be Quiet 500DX
    Fractal Define 7 / 7 Compact
    Phanteks P500A

• Advertisement

I'd definitely try and prioritize good airflow whatever one you choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,977 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

How much would you get for a EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 these days? (bought in October 2019)

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Headshot wrote: »
    How much would you get for a EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 these days? (bought in October 2019)

I personally won't pay more than €450 for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I personally won't pay more than €450 for it.

€450-500 would be fair I think, it's a higher end model with transferable warranty.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    €450-500 would be fair I think, it's a higher end model with transferable warranty.

A brand new 3070 with better ray tracing and better 1080p performance costs less than 500.
    Sellers need to be realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,345 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 82,016 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Yeah I looked through all the things you can tweak on RAM and decided I just don't have the Masters or PhD for this.

Overheal wrote: »
    Yeah I looked through all the things you can tweak on RAM and decided I just don't have the Masters or PhD for this.

There's a program called D Ram Calculator for Ryzen where you tell it what type of ram you have (samsung B die, SK Hynix, samsung M die, etc), what it's rated for etc and based on your inputs, it gives you a few difference options for different speeds and timings.

It sounds hard to do, but it's not.

I was able to use this process to get a kit of 3000mhz samsung b die at CL 16 to run at 3200mhx CL 14 with minimal tweaking.

People on Intel platforms will put the effort into getting a stable cpu OC, with Ryzen the effort is far better spent tuning the memory freq.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

What are people's thoughts here on so-called "Gaming" Chairs?

I currently have a Herman Miller Aeron which is my chair for working from home & gaming in. I found that the default reclining position of the Aeron was giving me neck pain given it doesn't have a headrest (my posture could be a lot better too), so I switched to a more upright position which is fine for work but when gaming & relaxing it's nice to recline a bit but you need head support for that which the Aeron doesn't have.

I have a 3rd party headrest for the Aeron, but I'm wondering if a chair with a higher back would be better for reclining which has me considering something else. Lumbar support would be a must and most of those gaming chairs only have pillows - The Aeron on the other hand has amazing lumbar support - I can sit in it 12+ hours in the day and never get any back pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

z0oT wrote: »
    What are people's thoughts here on so-called "Gaming" Chairs?

I currently have a Herman Miller Aeron which is my chair for working from home & gaming in. I found that the default reclining position of the Aeron was giving me neck pain given it doesn't have a headrest (my posture could be a lot better too), so I switched to a more upright position which is fine for work but when gaming & relaxing it's nice to recline a bit but you need head support for that which the Aeron doesn't have.

I have a 3rd party headrest for the Aeron, but I'm wondering if a chair with a higher back would be better for reclining which has me considering something else. Lumbar support would be a must and most of those gaming chairs only have pillows - The Aeron on the other hand has amazing lumbar support - I can sit in it 12+ hours in the day and never get any back pain.

Avoid like plaque. The mentioned Herman Miller chairs are far beyond superior than so called gaming chairs.
    You just pay extra for "gaming" look. Some of them can be good but still would always go for HM or similar equivalent chair.

• Advertisement

Getting a Herman Miller is great and all but not everyone has crazy amounts of money to spend on a chair. There are plenty of good 'gaming' chairs. Noble and Secret Labs to name but two.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,345 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

this one has adjustable lumbar support

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Getting a Herman Miller is great and all but not everyone has crazy amounts of money to spend on a chair. There are plenty of good 'gaming' chairs. Noble and Secret Labs to name but two.

200e office surplus isn't bank breaking.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I'm using an Autonomous Ergo Chair 2. It cost me around €330. The support is good and I have the stiffness set quite high, I find the headrest to be in a good place.

Only complaint I have is the clicking when pushing all the way back but that could be due to how stiff I have it set.

ED E wrote: »
    200e office surplus isn't bank breaking.

But people still persist that 'gaming' chairs are rubbish when that's not always the case. As Trump would say 'Fake News'.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

It's not really a gaming chair per se I'm considering, rather just a chair with a higher back to better allow reclining and relaxing.

As great as the Aeron is, this is one thing it doesn't have. The jury is still out on whether the headrest I have for it will do the trick for me or not.

As for the chairs in question, the Noblechair Hero was one that came up in my search.

i've been window shopping for new gear like CPU, mobo, GPU and just cannot get over the poor stock levels across the board

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

Headshot wrote: »

€600 plus I would think? Can't really get anything that powerful new for cheaper, certainly not EVGA. TBH I could see you getting near €700 without some serious change to the supply of 3000 series.

Er, on the other hand if you'll take €450, yes please. :)

Mucashinto wrote: »
    €600 plus I would think? Can't really get anything that powerful new for cheaper, certainly not EVGA. TBH I could see you getting near €700 without some serious change to the supply of 3000 series.

Er, on the other hand if you'll take €450, yes please. :)

Ya I didn't think of the stock levels of the 3000 which are dreadful, it should help me get some more out of my card

700 would be quite nice alright

You guys will probably see it on adverts soon lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Most of the 2080ti's on adverts are up for 700 minimum. Its all well and good saying a 3070 costs whatever or a 3080 costs what it costs but you cant get any so no use. Not saying people will get the prices they ask for but I wouldn't be sticking it up for less just because the newer ones are similar for the money they cost. If someone wants that type of performance now they'll pay for it.

Doesn't effect me anyway my old cards go to my son when I upgrade so if I can get my hands on a 6900xt my 2080ti is going to him.

Advertisement