Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

From MSI (https://www.msi.com/blog/new-usb-standard-usb-3-2-gen-1-gen2-explained): Furthermore, the standard previously known as USB 3.1 Gen 2 will now be renamed to USB 3.2 Gen 2.
    Or IOW I'm pretty certain it will work fine. Basically the new one in USB 3.2 is USB 3.2 Gen2x2 which does 20Gbps /facepalm
    At least they try and get people to just put the numbers on them!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

minitrue wrote: »
    From MSI (https://www.msi.com/blog/new-usb-standard-usb-3-2-gen-1-gen2-explained): Furthermore, the standard previously known as USB 3.1 Gen 2 will now be renamed to USB 3.2 Gen 2.
    Or IOW I'm pretty certain it will work fine. Basically the new one in USB 3.2 is USB 3.2 Gen2x2 which does 20Gbps /facepalm
    At least they try and get people to just put the numbers on them!

Excellent, thanks , what a headache :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

While everyone was slurping up Sabrents SSDs I said feck it and got one.

mnOqHU1l.jpg

r3Jh0Ld.pngvu14ILZ.png
    R2NNiIS.pngf0Zl5qc.png

The PCIE3 version? Yeah, I'm on Haswell so pointless going for PCIE4 and it had sold out when I made up my mind. Booting back up I noticed my 950 Pro OS drive is listed in the bios as an ATA device while the Sabrent shows as NVMe as it should. The 950 is in an adapter as the onboard M.2 is stupidly curtailed to 2x lanes instead of 4x.

Probably should get another of the ECM25+drive and migrate my OS over. The Sabrent is intended as yet another games drive and media caching (ingest from SD cards). Only thing is it has an onboard blue LED that would be fierce annoying on a drive that's always active. Should be easy to sharpie over.

My PC at the moment has windows 10 , it was a free upgrade from my windows 7 years back which had a legit product key. Just wondering will my product key for windows 10 on my current pc work on my new pc build?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Pangea wrote: »
    My PC at the moment has windows 10 , it was a free upgrade from my windows 7 years back which had a legit product key. Just wondering will my product key for windows 10 on my current pc work on my new pc build?

It might, no harm in trying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Pangea wrote: »

it will if it is connected to your microsoft account..if not..it could be touch and go..but you would only have a watermark in the bottom right of your screen..i dont understand why people pay 100s for windows 10.Keys on ebay are 10 euros

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Low as €5 on adverts and there is a guy I've used a couple of times selling them for €7.

Can't stand that watermark.

If you ever change the motherboard though, you'll have to buy a new key - they are grey market volume licence keys.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Getting excited now, the final delivery from scan via DPD just arrived - NZXT H210, some Noctua fans and PSU extension cables. An Post tell me the RAM should be here tomorrow and I can finally start building this thing. :o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 53,977 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Im hoping someone can point in me in the right direction.

I'm on a lookout for a white single PCIe PSU cable that will connect to a Corsair RM850x

You know typically with a PSU comes a PCIe Dual cable but I want the single cable version of this

xE4E5R8.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Headshot wrote: »
    Im hoping someone can point in me in the right direction.

I'm on a lookout for a white single PCIe PSU cable that will connect to a Corsair RM850x

You know typically with a PSU comes a PCIe Dual cable but I want the single cable version of this

Best way to get the look you want is cablemod.com
    They create whatever cable you want, for exactly your PSU, in whatever sleeves you want, with the colours you want.

Expensive, and slow to deliver, but they look great and are much easier to install.
    As an example, I was building yesterday with that same PSU. I've only ordered PCIe cables and ATX 24pin cable from cable mod. So, I wasted a lot of time installing the CPU cables that came with the PSU. If you look at the sleeve, just before the connector there's this large bulge, wrapped in a plastic sheet. Not only is that ugly, but you can't twist it, so the whole bulge sticks out. No such bulge on the cablemod replacements, and they are so nice to place however you want.

Highly recommended!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭cromelex

You could try the cablemod store?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Pulled the trigger on those Dt 770 pro 250 Ohms. Hopefully the PC can power them to a decent volume level until I get a DAC/Amp.

Down another rabbit hole for those. Any recommendations?

BloodBath wrote: »
    Pulled the trigger on those Dt 770 pro 250 Ohms. Hopefully the PC can power them to a decent volume level until I get a DAC/Amp.

Fiio K3 or E10K should suffice or get a Sound Blaster G6.

Got my Sabrent nvme in te post today, it's so small, didn't actually open the box yet but it's no bigger than a pack of cards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭xtal191

BloodBath wrote: »

Are they on special somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

A bit of a sale on Amazon atm. Picked up the 250 Ohm model for £101. They are rarely much cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Any good Black friday deals? Im tempted by Dell 32 1440@165 for 360.
    Any good 1440@144 32 monitor recomendations? Around 400.

Get in! RAM and 15mm Noctua fan just arrived, they were the last parts I was waiting on so let the build commence tomorrow (if I can wait that long). Bloody hope everything works ok. :pac:

Actually, once I get past the build/BIOS update/driver installs etc what apps do folks recommend for system info or monitoring temps/fan speeds etc? I've seen mention of CPU-Z and AIDA64?

yoshiktk wrote: »
    Any good Black friday deals? Im tempted by Dell 32 1440@165 for 360.
    Any good 1440@144 32 monitor recomendations? Around 400.

Black Friday is next week. I know there's some deals about but you'd probably get better next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,623 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Got the Sennheiser HD599 for £99 on Amazon, almost half price but seem to get really savage reviews

Got the Sennheiser HD599 for £99 on Amazon, almost half price but seem to get really savage reviews

I mentioned them on here recently, by far the most comfortable headphones I’ve used. They’re brilliant.

Yea. The 500 series are very good. You'll enjoy them Squidgy.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I mentioned them on here recently, by far the most comfortable headphones I’ve used. They’re brilliant.

Shh I just bought AKG, cant buy another one.
    Kinda stupid question, how big are Your ears? Mine are on bigger side, hard to find decent headphones which would fit comfy.
    So many black fridays deals around that I thought that it is this Friday. Will have to fight the temptation, on pricespy Ive seen that Dell was few times at around 300£. Will try to get additional discount for essential worker, if wont work will wait till next Friday.

yoshiktk wrote: »
    Shh I just bought AKG, cant buy another one.
    Kinda stupid question, how big are Your ears? Mine are on bigger side, hard to find decent headphones which would fit comfy.
    So many black fridays deals around that I thought that it is this Friday. Will have to fight the temptation, on pricespy Ive seen that Dell was few times at around 300£. Will try to get additional discount for essential worker, if wont work will wait till next Friday.

:pac::pac:

Yeah maybe on the bigger side not sure, but I also wear glasses which causes proper discomfort wearing certain headphones after a while, not the HD 599s though. Actually I have an old set of Bose SoundTrue around-ear headphones (bog stand wired jobbies) which are crazy light and comfortable too.

Think I best stay away from Amazon, after spending enough lately. :D

I'm after buying a set of 'Like New' Arctis Pro Wireless for €160 just there with the extra 30% discount for Warehouse deal. They are €335 new. :eek:

:pac::pac:

Yeah maybe on the bigger side not sure, but I also wear glasses which causes proper discomfort wearing certain headphones after a while, not the HD 599s though. Actually I have an old set of Bose SoundTrue around-ear headphones (bog stand wired jobbies) which are crazy light and comfortable too.

Think I best stay away from Amazon, after spending enough lately. :D

As a fellow glasses user I find myself in similar situation.
    The Akg which I got recently are a bit better but still after couple of houra have to swap to in ear ones.
    Only thing saving me from spending €€€ is Amazon s#@$ search engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Actually, once I get past the build/BIOS update/driver installs etc what apps do folks recommend for system info or monitoring temps/fan speeds etc? I've seen mention of CPU-Z and AIDA64?

HWinfo64 is probably the better system monitor then GPU-z is good also. If you have a Ryzen CPU then install Ryzen Master just to see temps and other things related to the CPU but do not overclock with it as you can but I wouldn't recommend it. If you want to overclock do so in the bios.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,977 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

JoyPad wrote: »
    Best way to get the look you want is cablemod.com
    They create whatever cable you want, for exactly your PSU, in whatever sleeves you want, with the colours you want.

Expensive, and slow to deliver, but they look great and are much easier to install.
    As an example, I was building yesterday with that same PSU. I've only ordered PCIe cables and ATX 24pin cable from cable mod. So, I wasted a lot of time installing the CPU cables that came with the PSU. If you look at the sleeve, just before the connector there's this large bulge, wrapped in a plastic sheet. Not only is that ugly, but you can't twist it, so the whole bulge sticks out. No such bulge on the cablemod replacements, and they are so nice to place however you want.

Highly recommended!

So you have to have minimum of 69,90 euro to be able to check out? Is that right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Fiio K3 or E10K should suffice or get a Sound Blaster G6.

E10K was an absolute disaster for me.

USB port was rubbish so cables kept sliping out.
    When it would come out or unplug, would cause a bluescreen on PC.
    Random volume fluctuations.
    Drivers fiddly and a pain in the hole.

I went with a pair of AKG's paired with the E10k. Expensive all in, and actually one of the worst PC investments I made.

The AKG's developed what I learned was a FREQUENT problem with them with some cable coming lose. Fix is soldering. **** that. Couldn't get warranty honoured.

I'm going back to a logitech headset this Xmas. Tried the audiophile route, and even when it did all work, didn't really notice anything other then everything being LOUD.

Advertisement