Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What you see in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,758 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

splashuum wrote: »
    Growing Muslim population.

When's the last time you got mugged by a Muslim?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,511 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

When's the last time you got mugged by a Muslim?

De Muslims are taking over, did you not see it on Facebook?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭MarkHenderson

If we keep voting for stupid lazy greedy useless gobsh1tes we have to shoulder some of the blame unfortunalty

This. You get the government you deserve. FFG will never change the status quo.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

This. You get the government you deserve. FFG will never change the status quo.

do we really?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,758 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

John_Rambo wrote: »
    De Muslims are taking over, did you not see it on Facebook?

How dare dey take over ar cuntry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭gargargar

Never mind the muslims, Dublin was a great city until all the culchies ruined it by moving here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,125 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

But you have to remember, most of the rest of the country is dependent on Dublin cash.

Are you for real?
    Do you think that the exchequer is there for Dublin only! Or maybe have one government for Dublin and another one for the rest of the country.

gargargar wrote: »
    Never mind the muslims, Dublin was a great city until all the culchies ruined it by moving here.

Ah yes, and don't forget bang bang and forty coats and all the oul relics of oul decency, and shur there were great days in the rat infested tenements and we all living up on top of one another, god be with the days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Merchants Quay.. Nightmare

Yep it provides a needle exchange , drop in service , limited food services , a primary health care service with access to a doctor , dental services , nurses both mental and general health , generic and drug counselling and support access stabilisation ,detox etc. for amongst the most vulnerable in society.
    Nightmare indeed.

They're always looking for volunteers maybe offer your services.

Are you for real?

I am.
    Do you think that the exchequer is there for Dublin only

I don’t. The rest of the country wouldn’t survive without Dublin money. (We've been through this)
    Or maybe have one government for Dublin and another one for the rest of the country.

That’s a silly suggestion, however, I’d like a voted mayor that would have more power and fight for the city and help it to invest in itself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Mob rule or vigilantism isn’t the answer. As pointed out earlier on in the thread Dublin needs more investment. Extra policing, housing, better public transport etc… is all needed. And believe me, there are people asking for it, you're (again) just now aware of that! But you have to remember, most of the rest of the country is dependent on Dublin cash.

So given you are the most defensive here, what have you done to raise awareness of the problem or try and create political will to fix it?

PS thanks for the cash

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Yeah, but you're from the west of Ireland. I'm sure if I was sitting on a stone wall in Maams Cross then somewhere like Ballyraggett would apper to be almost cosmopolitan to me!

Where I grew up is a small village sandwiched between Charlestown and Ballahagdereen.

I would consider neither to be cosmopolitan.

Gotta go now, tis market day tis always a big day out for the parish, best not get on the wrong side of the local parish priest and his walking stick though, hup ya boya and maybe dancing at the crossroads later.

Etc Etc. :rolleyes:

So given you are the most defensive here, what have you done to raise awareness of the problem or try and create political will to fix it?

PS thanks for the cash

I’ve volunteered in youth programs in the inner city. I was secretary of one of the largest inner city youth groups that’s responsible for taking kids off streets and teaching them valuable life skills and responsibilities. As part of that group we constantly lobbied councillors and politicians to improve the inner city, particularly the North East inner city where I was involved. We were successful in acquiring land and assets to improve the lives of more than one community through grand aid and fundraising, the knock on effect was three permanent and two part time jobs along with life changing experiences that would never be afforded to kids in the area.

I’ve volunteered in youth programs in the inner city. I was secretary of one of the largest inner city youth groups that’s responsible for taking kids off streets and teaching them valuable life skills and responsibilities. As part of that group we constantly lobbied councillors and politicians to improve the inner city, particularly the North East inner city where I was involved. We were successful in acquiring land and assets to improve the lives of more than one community through grand aid and fundraising, the knock on effect was three permanent and two part time jobs along with life changing experiences that would never be afforded to kids in the area.

Congratulations.
    Getting back to what the thread is about. The OP said that she was shocked at what she saw in Dublin on a recent trip. She has a valid point in that Dubliners seem to have accepted that it's OK that the city is now a dangerous kip. Liverpool faced the same problem years ago and allowed the place turn into a manky dive.

Congratulations.
    Getting back to what the thread is about.

There’s not need to be a smarty pants. I was asked a genuine question regarding my involvement in the city and I answered it.
    The OP said that she was shocked at what she saw in Dublin on a recent trip. She has a valid point in that Dubliners seem to have accepted that it's OK that the city is now a dangerous kip. Liverpool faced the same problem years ago and allowed the place turn into a manky dive.

Again! (and again) I think the city needs big investment to combat the social problems it has.

By the way, Dublin isn’t dangerous at all. You’re just reading that it is on internet forums and on Facebook. Dublin is an overall safe city with a rating of 72.7, it is ranked 41th out of 113 on the ranking of the safest and most dangerous cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

gargargar wrote: »
    I sure miss those 15 to a room incest rampant tenements. It's no wonder the brain dead slum dwellers believe that old Dublin in the rare oul times ****e spouted by Duffy and others who were quick to move to the leafy suburbs at first opportunity

• Registered Users Posts: 12,149 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I'm from the west of Ireland and for the life of me I cannot understand this Dublin bashing thing.

It's a capital european city, what do you expect? You will see all sorts in cities around the world.

Either some people here don't get out very much or they had an extremely sheltered upbringing...

Or they travel all over Europe and can't help but notice that Dublins problems are much more in your face than any other capital. Drugs, homeless, litter etc it's there but less visible in other places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

While walking the dog this morning, I came across two people walking a goat through Clondalkin village near the vets. Like a real thicko Dub, I had to ask what it was. I thought a shaved sheep for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

While walking the dog this morning, I came across two people walking a goat through Clondalkin village near the vets. Like a real thicko Dub, I had to ask what it was. I thought a shaved sheep for some reason.

The dub is the thicko and you can't tell a sheep from a goat and you think they shave in December?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

MadYaker wrote: »
    Or they travel all over Europe and can't help but notice that Dublins problems are much more in your face than any other capital. Drugs, homeless, litter etc it's there but less visible in other places.

I've been to a lot of european cities. Dublin is far from the worst.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

The dub is the thicko and you can't tell a sheep from a goat and you think they shave in December?

To be fair, it's not that easy to tell the difference.

https://act.heifer.org/sheep-or-goat/

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Read the post again...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

saw a man standing literally upright against a wall on the north circular road during the afternoon having a ****.

He didn't look like a drunk or homeless person and seemed oblivious to the people walking past

Walked by the **** later that evening coming home from work, human **** is so smelly and large when not confined to a toilet bowl under water

Are you sure it was clondalkin and not goatstown?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Anybody else noticed the smattering of dog s**t on the footpaths in Dublin that's now almost become normal? Phibsboro and Drumcondra are just covered in it, they put signs up warning about the dangers to children's health and fines etc but like a lot of laws in Ireland, it doesn't seem to be a deterrent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Carlingford Locked

By the way, Dublin isn’t dangerous at all. You’re just reading that it is on internet forums and on Facebook. Dublin is an overall safe city with a rating of 72.7, it is ranked 41th out of 113 on the ranking of the safest and most dangerous cities.

Dubliner here. I've never felt in danger in any city really, maybe Caracas. But the level of begging and heroin addict behaviour here is unrivaled in any city I've ever been to. I've not been to Seattle or San Fran though which people say are really bad. I've seen your posts and you seem to think Dublin is some kind of paradise. It's a nice place to live if you have your sh*t together alright, so I've a good life here. On the other hand, I cannot for the life of me understand why you'd want to visit Dublin as a tourist. Manhattan priced hotels, terrible weather, some of the most expensive food and booze in Europe, and the most pedestrian and cycle unfriendly city I can think of.

Edinburgh for e.g. is a beautiful city and offers all that Dublin does at a more affordable price. I lived there for a bit and now that I think of it they have heroin addicts there that look the exact same as ours, they're just not as prominent. Either way I'd recommend it 100 times over Dublin to a visitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think tourists visit here for irish culture , music , theatre etc and we speak english .
    Is dublin any more expensive than london or paris.I doubt it.
    there seems to be a post on here every 2 months .
    I came from a small town i went to dublin, OMG , i came to dublin ,
    i saw some junkies .
    You could go to new york or boston or any large city and see the same thing.
    I understand dublin might be a culture shock if you live in a small rural town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

riclad wrote: »
    I think tourists visit here for irish culture , music , theatre etc and we speak english .
    Is dublin any more expensive than london or paris.I doubt it.
    there seems to be a post on here every 2 months .
    I came from a small town i went to dublin, OMG , i came to dublin ,
    i saw some junkies .
    You could go to new york or boston or any large city and see the same thing.
    I understand dublin might be a culture shock if you live in a small rural town.

I don't even come from a town, I come from a field and I've been living in Dublin over ten years now. I adapted pretty well to urban life, but it does seem that while every major city has junkies, Dublin's seem to be in your face a lot more. If they're not roaring at each other across the road or arguing out loud on the bus, they're hitting people up for change.

Dubliner here. I've never felt in danger in any city really, maybe Caracas. But the level of begging and heroin addict behaviour here is unrivaled in any city I've ever been to. I've not been to Seattle or San Fran though which people say are really bad. I've seen your posts and you seem to think Dublin is some kind of paradise. It's a nice place to live if you have your sh*t together alright, so I've a good life here. On the other hand, I cannot for the life of me understand why you'd want to visit Dublin as a tourist. Manhattan priced hotels, terrible weather, some of the most expensive food and booze in Europe, and the most pedestrian and cycle unfriendly city I can think of.

Edinburgh for e.g. is a beautiful city and offers all that Dublin does at a more affordable price. I lived there for a bit and now that I think of it they have heroin addicts there that look the exact same as ours, they're just not as prominent. Either way I'd recommend it 100 times over Dublin to a visitor.

Yeah, again (and again, and again), just because you can’t see or are unaware of what’s worth visiting in Dublin doesn’t mean other people can’t see or are unaware of what’s worth visiting in Dublin! Maybe you don’t like the particular cultural experiences, the history, the architecture, the parks, the people and coastline that Dublin has to offer!

But other people do.

Just a few corrections

Dublin has the cheapest eateries in Ireland. You just don’t know them.
    Dublin had good weather, not terrible weather.
    In Dublin city centre, the pedestrian is king, it’s very pedestrian friendly.
    I don’t think Dublin is paradise, I just know it better than you.
    And Finally, recommending other cities over Dublin to people that want to see Collins Barracks, Trinity, do the GPO tour etc… is just stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭raxy

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    What I saw today in Dublin was lots of lovely kids all dressed in the uniform , all neat and tidy going to school. I saw mums and dads and nanas and grandads holding their hands and making sure they hats on . I saw a gentleman hold the gate for the kids and keep them safe . And I saw the lollipop lady all dressed in a santa hat with a huge smile for all the kids

The lollipop lady was only wearing a hat & a smile? Did you report her? The kids must be scarred after that!

Advertisement