Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What you see in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

VeryTerry wrote: »
    He's clearly having a laugh at the unwillingness of country folk to engage in any use of contraceptives.

That's cause the bogger accent is 100% affective

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Another one on the way, going for a baker's dozen folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭223vmax

More of a weekly "I'm gonna make some **** up and pretend it really happened" thread.

I was in Athlone the other week and I saw an aliens having a pint with Elvis, John Lennon and Michael Jaclson. And I thought WTF!

Liar.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Standman wrote: »
    Another one on the way, going for a baker's dozen folks!

You're OHs hoop must be like a blood orange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭VeryTerry

Something like a third of the heroin using population live in Dublin

A quarter of the population live in Dublin though. So it's not that damning a statistic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

A great place to live! Great people and great characters but unfortunately
    in every society there will always be a few who let the show down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

The level of open hard drug use in Dublin city centre is not something you see in Cork, Limerick or Galway, can't really speak to the regional towns. Something like a third of the heroin using population live in Dublin, and the clinics being in the city centre means the people in tbe worst throes gather there.

I've seen people shooting up or selling heroin in Cork, but it's been in put of the way alleys and empty lots, I've seen people mangled on heroin too, but it's still (so far) relatively remarkable. Never seen someone selling or taking drugs on Patrick Street despite being there almost daily, have several times seen it O Connell St despite being there, at most, a couple of times a year.

Ye're all determined to deny it's any kind of unusual thing if someone from outside Dublin points it out, grand, off with ye.

You said it yourself. They congregate near the methadone clinic. In the middle of the city centre. Lo and behold, surprise surprise, culchies and tourists get to see them in all their glory. (Or in the case of the OP, up their glory hole.) Then we have idiot posters claiming that Dublin is full of scum. And Dubs are expected to take it on the chin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

223vmax wrote: »
    Must admit I don't go to Dublin often. However on a recent trip there last week I couldn't believe what I saw. Walking from Temple Bar back to Heuston station I came upon a group of 6 or 7 druggies. One of them was sat on his heels with his tracksuit bottoms round his thighs. His hand reached around and he was routing himself out for a baggie of drugs.... Totally honorific! I was only glad I didn't have my young family with me. This got me thinking - others in Dublin on a regular basis must see some awful sights. What have you seen that made you think WTF!!!

These threads have been done before. The people living in Dublin are immune to this now but I agree, Dublin city centre and quays are a complete kip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

A quarter of the population live in Dublin though. So it's not that damning a statistic.

I'm not saying it's a damning statistic, or a reflection on the rest of the population of Dublin, it's just a statistic. More people who use heroin live in a place = you see more heroin use and related antisocial behaviour when you're in that place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭VeryTerry

I'm not saying it's a damning statistic, or a reflection on the rest of the population of Dublin, it's just a statistic. More people who use heroin live in a place = you see more heroin use and related antisocial behaviour when you're in that place.

Its not much more than anywhere else though. I'd love to know the statistics based on population of all the cities.

• Advertisement

pablo128 wrote: »
    You said it yourself. They congregate near the methadone clinic. In the middle of the city centre. Lo and behold, surprise surprise, culchies and tourists get to see them in all their glory. (Or in the case of the OP, up their glory hole.) Then we have idiot posters claiming that Dublin is full of scum. And Dubs are expected to take it on the chin?

No no, kick off about it and start insulting the whole rest of the country and pointing out how it's not as bad as Baltimore so shut up, or whatever ye want to do, and improve people's impression of Dubs.

Personally I'd just take the joke, but then I'm one of those thin skinned Corkonians who can't hear a bad word about their home town, so what'd I know ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

AllForIt wrote: »
    Yeah, was in Dublin for the first time in a long while last month and the moment I exited Heuston station I went straight to the luas only to see 4 junkies standing by the ticket kiosk having a chat. I was so pissed off that the moment I seen them I said forget the Luas and walked into the city instead. What a terrible impression of Dublin this gives when the moment you set foot in Dublin the first thing you see is junkies. I don't know what it is about the Heuston/Luas area but junkies are always hanging around there. There must be radical lefties working in the council who maybe feel the race of junkies have a right to meander around wherever they feel like, for equality sake.

I am from Dublin and agree that the city centre has become an absolute embarrassment over the past decade where the walking dead roam free. The number of drug deals I see on a daily basis (I work in town) in or around O'Connell Street has increased, the guards don't care, they are happy to stand at the GPO and play on their phones.

Can I ask were you afraid they were going to attack you at the Luas stop or something? I often take the Luas and if they are hanging around looking for change just tell them a simple no and ignore them. They will get the message.

Its not much more than anywhere else though. I'd love to know the statistics based on population of all the cities.

Cork's catching up pretty quickly from what I see, don't know any stats though. Though a lot of them seem to be going straight to the crack :(

No no, kick off about it and start insulting the whole rest of the country and pointing out how it's not as bad as Baltimore so shut up, or whatever ye want to do, and improve people's impression of Dubs.

Personally I'd just take the joke, but then I'm one of those thin skinned Corkonians who can't hear a bad word about their home town, so what'd I know ;)
    You know, most Dubs probably would take the joke but for the fact boggers are so precious about their own parish. Nothing wrong with a taste of their own medicine in my book.

You know, most Dubs probably would take the joke but for the fact boggers are so precious about their own parish. Nothing wrong with a taste of their own medicine in my book.

Not on the evidence of this thread tbf.

Determined for an argument so you are, show us on the doll where the culchie hurt you pet?

Not on the evidence of this thread tbf.

Determined for an argument so you are, show us on the doll where the culchie hurt you pet?

I have spent the last 3 decades holidaying in a rural part of Ireland. My parents have a holiday home there. I take everyone as they come. I also know what culchies are like from spending time with them. Half of my very large extended family live down the country. Now you can try to be as condescending as you like, but in my opinion, you are clearly one of 'them'.

In fact, I think you may be 'triggered'. :D

I have spent the last 3 decades holidaying in a rural part of Ireland. My parents have a holiday home there. I take everyone as they come. I also know what culchies are like from spending time with them. Half of my very large extended family live down the country. Now you can try to be as condescending as you like, but in my opinion, you are clearly one of 'them'.

In fact, I think you may be 'triggered'.:D

Are you talking about the thing that happens to petty criminals and innocent bystanders in Dublin? :pac:

I am a culchie by birth, adopted Corkonian now, though I know that's same diff for most Dubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Must admit I don't go to Dublin often. However on a recent trip there last week I couldn't believe what I saw. Walking from Temple Bar back to Heuston station I came upon a group of 6 or 7 druggies. One of them was sat on his heels with his tracksuit bottoms round his thighs. His hand reached around and he was routing himself out for a baggie of drugs.... Totally honorific! I was only glad I didn't have my young family with me. This got me thinking - others in Dublin on a regular basis must see some awful sights. What have you seen that made you think WTF!!!

Why post this sort of crap? Unfortunately there are drug addicts in every large city. If you're genuinely concerned about it then I'm sure you could have found a better way to present your post.
    Also, I'm sure you saw some nice things in Dublin but mentioning those wouldn't fit in with your narrative.

mikhail wrote: »
    Oh Jesus, the culchies are up for de Christmas shopping.
    Ush1 wrote: »
    I think it means something in culchie, ghastly people.
    GBX wrote: »
    Feckin culchies coming inside the M50 and being judgemental. Shower of b******
    Well, if you call people "culchies" then they're not going to say nice things about Dublin or Dubliners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Dublin has an equal proportion of scummers as anywhere else in Ireland, it's just that they louder and well there's just a larger population. Being from rural Ireland I see castle Catholic culchies in the upper bracket of society doing more social damage, on a much larger scale than junkies or drunks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

:D:D

• Advertisement

Vita nova wrote: »
    Why post this sort of crap? Unfortunately there are drug addicts in every large city. If you're genuinely concerned about it then I'm sure you could have found a better way to present your post.
    Also, I'm sure you saw some nice things in Dublin but mentioning those wouldn't fit in with your narrative.

I'm not concerned, I was just amazed at what another human could do in broad daylight with ordinary people walking past him. That got me thinking what other alarming things people had seen other misfortunates doing that shocked them. Its not just a Dublin thing, I travel to most of the larger cities in Ireland and I have never seen anything like it anywhere else. Sure I've seen lads doing deals and jacking up in other places but to see a lad sqatted down rooting his own arse out for a baggie was bad....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,903 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Well, if you call people "culchies" then they're not going to say nice things about Dublin or Dubliners.

Is that not the national term of endearment used to the describe said people ? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,511 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

"culchies" then they're not going to say nice things about Dublin or Dubliners.

Cul an tí, Culchie, I don't use it myself because of oversensitivity and Political Correctiveness overloading. But why do you find it so insulting?

I'm not concerned, I was just amazed at what another human could do in broad daylight with ordinary people walking past him. That got me thinking what other alarming things people had seen other misfortunates doing that shocked them. Its not just a Dublin thing, I travel to most of the larger cities in Ireland and I have never seen anything like it anywhere else. Sure I've seen lads doing deals and jacking up in other places but to see a lad sqatted down rooting his own arse out for a baggie was bad....

If you want to get a thread going with people sharing their stories of things they see in Dublin, you have to start it like "as a tax paying hardworking law abiding citizen I'm appalled at what I see the subhuman scum up to in town, this city is in big trouble, should we set all the junkies on fire and be done with it???"

They'd all chime in then, but you had to go the controversial route...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    What I saw today in Dublin was lots of lovely kids all dressed in the uniform , all neat and tidy going to school. I saw mums and dads and nanas and grandads holding their hands and making sure they hats on . I saw a gentleman hold the gate for the kids and keep them safe . And I saw the lollipop lady all dressed in a santa hat with a huge smile for all the kids

A lot of talk about kids there.

the subhuman scum up to in town, this city is in big trouble, should we set all the junkies on fire and be done with it???"

That's wrong. They're somone's son's & daughters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Dubs can be pretty precious about their own postcode too in fairness, it's a city made up of villages, but I get what you're saying, also as a culchie I can say that we hate the boggers too.

That's wrong. They're somone's son's & daughters.

I know, not language I'd use myself at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

GBX wrote: »
    Is that not the national term of endearment used to the describe said people ? :pac:

Personally I prefer dirty, turf-eating, Massey-driving, sheep-shagging country folk but that's just me :pac:

• Advertisement

Culchie is grand, surely? I'd take "bogger" in the spirit it's intended though.

Advertisement