Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What you see in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Dublin is full of scummers, an inconvenient truth but there you have it.

As is Ireland, Europe and the rest of the world......

• Registered Users Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

People getting mad defensive here. I know it hurts when one of us culchies insult the Fair City, it must hurt even more when they kinda have a point.

Dublin is a great place in general, but the level of clear social deprivation you see clearly in your face, especially around the city centre, is on another level entirely to anywhere else in the country. I know there's all sorts of reasons for this - the presence of drug treatment centres in the city centre being one of the key ones - but it never fails to shock me, at least a little bit, even though it's not new to me either at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Thestones

I live in south Dublin, very rarely go in to the city centre and if I do I stay in the grafton street/Stephens green area, it feels a lot safer than the north side of city centre, temple bar and heuston area has been dodgy for years. Living in the burbs I don't tend to see any druggies unless of course you go down dun Laoghaire, there is a few down that way too!!

Thestones wrote: »
    I live in south Dublin, very rarely go in to the city centre and if I do I stay in the grafton street/Stephens green area, it feels a lot safer than the north side of city centre, temple bar and heuston area has been dodgy for years. Living in the burbs I don't tend to see any druggies unless of course you go down dun Laoghaire, there is a few down that way too!!

Would anybody defend O'Connell St? An absolute kip with an air of menace about it in the evenings. The dark paving doesn't help, with appalling lighting as a result. Disastrous effort at 'regeneration' tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Thestones

Would anybody defend O'Connell St? An absolute kip with an air of menace about it in the evenings. The dark paving doesn't help, with appalling lighting as a result. Disastrous effort at 'regeneration' tbh.

Your right, I wouldn't go near O'Connell at night, I would avoid that whole part of the city during the day too to be honest, unless there is some specific reason to be there I don't. Last Christmas which was last time I was over that side we were waiting for a bus to go home on the quays, myself, husband and two kids, some scumbag Eastern European approaches asking for money, husband says no, guy gets quite intimidating, luckily my h takes no sh*t, they had some words and eventually the guy walked off. Anyway my point is it was first time in s long time we'd been over here that side and some scumbag tries his luck, probably thought a family was an easy target.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

AllForIt wrote: »
    Oh don't be so ridiculous. They weren't getting on the luas, they were loitering around there. For gods sake.

God forbid. Look I don't know man if you reckon a deal was going down then yeah guards should be on top of that but people need a place to stand and chat and you not liking the look of them isn't a genuine grievance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Dublin city center seems to be a haven for sub human scum. The amount of drug zombies and just general scum bags hanging around the center is unreal. And ive lived in two much much bigger cities abroad with 4/5 times the population. And they didn't seem to have this disproportionate ratio. Weird!

The river absolutely stinks as well.

Apart from that its lovely though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Dublin city center seems to be a haven for sub human scum. The amount of drug zombies and just general scum bags hanging around the center is unreal. And ive lived in two much much bigger cities abroad with 4/5 times the population. And they didn't seem to have this disproportionate ratio. Weird!

The river absolutely stinks as well.

Apart from that its lovely though.

Smaller cities tend to have people congratulate in one area.

The river stinks because it is a tidal river. Blame seaweed!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,511 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I think it’s finally dawned on people that Dublin needs to start investing in itself and stop being some sort of ATM for the rest of the country.

There has to be some sort of tax retention. It’s estimated that 10 billion Euro is siphoned out of the Capital to support other counties who’s towns and villages are dying because people refuse to live in them.

All this whilst (as people point out on this thread) Dublin suffers from social deprivation, a drug problem, a lack of policing, bad lighting etc…

Time for the city to start looking after it’s own problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

lawred2 wrote: »
    Why would he need to store it his arse?

All his pockets got holes in them?

I was watching an old SkyOne Road Wars from season 1 last night and a junkie had 2 cops sitting on him, mashing his face into the tarmac and he still managed to sneak his hand around the back to shove a bag up his hole. Like a hummingbird, only the camera caught it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

A seagull viciously attack a German tourist.

I'm hoping... nay PRAYING for a seagull cull *polishes shotgun hopefully*

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Culchies go home. Dublin for the Dubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I think it’s finally dawned on people that Dublin needs to start investing in itself and stop being some sort of ATM for the rest of the country.

There has to be some sort of tax retention. It’s estimated that 10 billion Euro is siphoned out of the Capital to support other counties who’s towns and villages are dying because people refuse to live in them.

All this whilst (as people point out on this thread) Dublin suffers from social deprivation, a drug problem, a lack of policing, bad lighting etc…

Time for the city to start looking after it’s own problems.

I'll help pay to build a wall around Dublin.
    A really big one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

Dublin is full of scummers, an inconvenient truth but there you have it.

We call them culchies up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,125 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

some scumbag Eastern European approaches asking for money, husband says no, guy gets quite intimidating, luckily my h takes no sh*t, they had some words and eventually the guy walked off. Anyway my point is it was first time in s long time we'd been over here that side and some scumbag tries his luck, probably thought a family was an easy target.

Very same ting happened me a few months back.

Except it happened in Nenagh Co Tipp, pop of around 10-15K.!
    Oh, and he wasn't eastern European he was a locally produced scumbag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

Your right, I wouldn't go near O'Connell at night, I would avoid that whole part of the city during the day too to be honest, unless there is some specific reason to be there I don't. Last Christmas which was last time I was over that side we were waiting for a bus to go home on the quays, myself, husband and two kids, some scumbag Eastern European approaches asking for money, husband says no, guy gets quite intimidating, luckily my h takes no sh*t, they had some words and eventually the guy walked off. Anyway my point is it was first time in s long time we'd been over here that side and some scumbag tries his luck, probably thought a family was an easy target.

That happens on the south side.

Kivaro wrote: »
    A really big one.

That’s all very well and good, but if your wall was to stop the flow of money out of the capital to support the rest of the counties rural Ireland will fall to rack and ruin.

They just can’t survive without the capitals cash flow.

That’s all very well and good, but if your wall was to stop the flow of money out of the capital to support the rest of the counties rural Ireland will fall to rack and ruin.

They just can’t survive without the capitals cash flow.

I think they have some new fangled thing called electronic banking nowadays so your wall mightn't prevent the money going down the country. Anyway those cute hoors could always throw the money over the wall!

I think they have some new fangled thing called electronic banking nowadays so your wall mightn't prevent the money going down the country. Anyway those cute hoors could always throw the money over the wall!

It’s not my wall, I wouldn’t like to see a wall, it contravenes the spirit of the city. Dublin has always welcomed people.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Arghus wrote: »
    People getting mad defensive here...

I don't think it's surprising given the opening post. It may have raised issues to be concerned about but it was so badly phrased and constructed that it came across as an attack on Dublin -maybe it was- and then invited more people to contribute stories of "awful sights" seen in Dublin. Naturally, the thread descended pretty quickly into the usual name-calling and mud-slinging and here we are.

• Advertisement

It’s not my wall, I wouldn’t like to see a wall, it contravenes the spirit of the city. Dublin has always welcomed people.

I don't think the OP sees it as very welcoming!

I don't think the OP sees it as very welcoming!

The very first thing he says is that he doesn't go to Dublin that often. He clearly hasn't a clue about the city and is very quick to make judgements.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

A really big one.

Probably just best to move it due East across the water. To its natural home.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Probably just best to move it due East across the water. To its natural home.

:pac:

Dexit means Dexit!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I've been in Dublin twice in the space of a few months now having not been there in about 2 years before that.
    I was genuinely shocked at the amount of homeless on Grafton Street at night time in doorways.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

A really big one.

Make Meath pay for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭223vmax

The very first thing he says is that he doesn't go to Dublin that often. He clearly hasn't a clue about the city and is very quick to make judgements.

Totally wrong. I'm from Manchester. Unless you meant clearly doesn't have a clue about Dublin. All the gear heads in Manc have now turned to spice and are walking zombies about the place. Druggies hanging around on streets in cities wasn't the point. But, all the Dubs suddenly wake up defending the place. It wasn't an attack on Dublin as such - even though in my opinion it is a sh!te hole. My point was as someone who doesn't go to Dublin often to be greeted with that sight wasn't the best. If you walk from Heuston to Templebar a couple of times I reckon you wouldn't have to wait long to see some horrendous sights. Now in Manc and Liverpool (which is also a sh!te hole) you wouldn't walk out of a major train station to be faced with the stuff you do in Dublin. The last time I was in Dublin prior to this visit, there was a gang of lads clutching clear plastic bags (I think just released from prison) with a few bit and pieces in, shouting a bawling clearly high as kites. Generally being very antiscoial and intimidating...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

223vmax wrote: »
    a gang of lads clutching clear plastic bags (I think just released from prison) with a few bit and pieces in, shouting a bawling clearly high as kites. Generally being very antiscoial and intimidating...

That's not just Dublin to be fair. You just need to look at any welfare office that's in close proximity to a prison. You see some saints and scholars there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

God almighty, I could probably say I saw the spire last time I was in Dublin and ye'd chime in "so, I saw a lamppost in Athlone, what's your point? I bet ye didn't even see it, and anyways you wouldn't have seen it from Harolds Cross so...shut up ya culchie"

• Advertisement

223vmax wrote: »
    Totally wrong. I'm from Manchester. Unless you meant clearly doesn't have a clue about Dublin. All the gear heads in Manc have now turned to spice and are walking zombies about the place. Druggies hanging around on streets in cities wasn't the point. But, all the Dubs suddenly wake up defending the place. It wasn't an attack on Dublin as such - even though in my opinion it is a sh!te hole. My point was as someone who doesn't go to Dublin often to be greeted with that sight wasn't the best. If you walk from Heuston to Templebar a couple of times I reckon you wouldn't have to wait long to see some horrendous sights. Now in Manc and Liverpool (which is also a sh!te hole) you wouldn't walk out of a major train station to be faced with the stuff you do in Dublin. The last time I was in Dublin prior to this visit, there was a gang of lads clutching clear plastic bags (I think just released from prison) with a few bit and pieces in, shouting a bawling clearly high as kites. Generally being very antiscoial and intimidating...

I meant you clearly don’t have a clue about Dublin. Great anecdotes though. ;)

Advertisement