Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What you see in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    The best thing about Dublin is that it's not Cork

Truth. The sooner the wall is built the better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭Pretzeluck

Cina wrote: »
    Ah it's the boards.ie weekly "Let's bash Dublin" thread.

Featuring such hits as

"place is full o' scummers!"
    "what a skip, seriously!"
    "can't f*ckin' go anywhere without a car there"
    "where's me Dublin Bus lads?"
    "worse than bleedin' Africa so it is!"

I know you're being sarcastic but it's the truth

• Registered Users Posts: 8,127 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Who even travels to Dublin anymore?
    Apart from an odd concert or match there's no need and shur a proper city like London or Paris is just a short flight from Shannon or Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Apart from an odd concert or match there's no need and shur a proper city like London or Paris is just a short flight from Shannon or Cork.

Parisians and Londoners visit the most popular tourist destination in Ireland.

Dublin. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

223vmax wrote: »
    Totally wrong. I'm from Manchester. Unless you meant clearly doesn't have a clue about Dublin. All the gear heads in Manc have now turned to spice and are walking zombies about the place. Druggies hanging around on streets in cities wasn't the point. But, all the Dubs suddenly wake up defending the place. It wasn't an attack on Dublin as such - even though in my opinion it is a sh!te hole. My point was as someone who doesn't go to Dublin often to be greeted with that sight wasn't the best. If you walk from Heuston to Templebar a couple of times I reckon you wouldn't have to wait long to see some horrendous sights. Now in Manc and Liverpool (which is also a sh!te hole) you wouldn't walk out of a major train station to be faced with the stuff you do in Dublin. The last time I was in Dublin prior to this visit, there was a gang of lads clutching clear plastic bags (I think just released from prison) with a few bit and pieces in, shouting a bawling clearly high as kites. Generally being very antiscoial and intimidating...

1) they probably weren't just out of prison. They're just like that normally
    2) they're generally entertaining.
    3) the bolded bit. Really?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

This is it exactly. They are sprawling huge proper cities that make wee Dublin look like a backwater. Bless em they think its some sort of magical metropolis.

:pac:

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Parisians and Londoners visit the most popular tourist destination in Ireland.

Dublin. ;)

Yeah but the Yanks, the ones who spend and TIP, they prefer to visit the countryside. The dubs can keep the hen parties from Newcastle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

lawred2 wrote: »
    Why would he need to store it his arse?

All his pockets got holes in them?

Sure his arse has a hole in it too i'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Yeah but the Yanks, the ones who spend and TIP, they prefer to visit the countryside. The dubs can keep the hen parties from Newcastle!

That'll be Carrick on Shannon and Kilkenny.

The Americans love Dublin, if you visited places of cultural interest and you’d know this. The galleries and museums and cultural hubs of Dublin are are constantly filled with educated Americans and Europeans. I’m not saying they don’t like the rest of the country, of course they do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    What I saw today in Dublin was lots of lovely kids all dressed in the uniform , all neat and tidy going to school. I saw mums and dads and nanas and grandads holding their hands and making sure they hats on . I saw a gentleman hold the gate for the kids and keep them safe . And I saw the lollipop lady all dressed in a santa hat with a huge smile for all the kids
    I think the OP meant what did you see recently and not in 1976.

Know The Code!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

In some ways Dublin really punches above its weight and ranks with other, much bigger European cities though.

I just googled "most overated" and "most disappointing" cities in Europe, Dublin made both lists! :pac:

To be fair I think it's ranked friendliest capital as well and I'd not argue with that based on my experience, it's rough and expensive but I've had people strike up great friendly chats with me when I'm having a pint, help me when I'm lost etc. Again, not different than other Irish cities in that regard but different from a lot of capitals.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Know The Code!!

I have no idea why my post is drawing such attention and sarcasm . It is exactly what I saw yesterday while bringing my grandchild to school . ? Its what I love about Dublin subarbs and the people around me . But maybe others are not so lucky then ?

The Americans love Dublin, if you visited places of cultural interest and you’d know this. The galleries and museums and cultural hubs of Dublin are are constantly filled with educated Americans and Europeans. I’m not saying they don’t like the rest of the country, of course they do.

'galleries and Museums' ?
    Lets be honest you would see anything of interest that is to be seen in Dublin in one day, two days max.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,149 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The tourists are fascinated by things that we don't even notice though. They'd squeeze 4 or 5 days out of Dublin no problem, more if they like drinking.

It's a dump but any of my foreign friends who come for a visit can't get enough of Dublin, especially the Americans. I'll never understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Remember the one legged guy who used to sell tickets (and something else if the question was asked) outside the SFX? Ah you'd miss him.

Lets be honest you would see anything of interest that is to be seen in Dublin in one day, two days max.

Let's be honest, you speak for yourself and lack imagination.

Other people want catch the coastline, Howth, the galleries, museums, check out the islands and the beaches, the wildlife sanctuaries, paddle on the river, maybe kitesurf, some sea kayaking, climb Killiney hill, maybe hit the Dublin mountains, check out a few restaurants, maybe see a concert or comedy show, visit some pubs etc...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

1. Croke Park
    2. Glasnevin,
    3. Guinness Storehouse,
    4. Dublin Mountains,
    5. Dublin Csastle,
    6. Trinity College,
    7. Temple Bar,
    8. Phoenix Park,
    9. St. Stephen's Green
    10. Dublin Zoo
    11. National Botanic Gardens,

You wouldnt get around many of them in 2 days

1. Croke Park
    2. Glasnevin,
    3. Guinness Storehouse,
    4. Dublin Mountains,
    5. Dublin Csastle,
    6. Trinity College,
    7. Temple Bar,
    8. Phoenix Park,
    9. St. Stephen's Green
    10. Dublin Zoo
    11. National Botanic Gardens,

You wouldnt get around many of them in 2 days

You're kidding me. Bar you were going to climb the Dublin mountains you'd do it no sweat. And if all you can offer by way of attractions is Temple Bar then forget it.

You're kidding me. Bar you were going to climb the Dublin mountains you'd do it no sweat. And if all you can offer by way of attractions is Temple Bar then forget it.

So you missed the other 9 then ?

• Advertisement

Other people want catch the coastline, Howth, the galleries, museums, check out the islands and the beaches, the wildlife sanctuaries, paddle on the river, maybe kitesurf, some sea kayaking, climb Killiney hill, maybe hit the Dublin mountains, check out a few restaurants, maybe see a concert or comedy show, visit some pubs etc...

Well you have a fair imagination if you think 'catch the coastline' or 'paddle on the river' would attract very many. Bottom line is Dublin consists of a few streets surrounded by mundane looking suburbs with no proper transport system .

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    So you missed the other 9 then ?

Oh sorry, the Zoo and wait for it...Glasnevin!:D

Oh sorry, the Zoo and wait for it...Glasnevin!:D

Ah suit yourself sure .

Well you have a fair imagination if you think 'catch the coastline' or 'paddle on the river' would attract very many.

But you see they do attract hundreds and thousands of tourists! You're just completely unaware of them.

There’s a thriving tourist industry in Dublin with coastal bus and cycle tours as well as the packed DART trains in the summer that go to the coast! There’s a number of tourist kayak excursions on offer in the city with coastal sea kayaking and river paddles on the Liffey.
    Bottom line is Dublin consists of a few streets surrounded by mundane looking suburbs with no proper transport system .

If you seriously think this is all there is to Dublin you’re head is stuck in the sand and you have a lot to learn about your capital and your country.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭AllForIt

cian68 wrote: »
    God forbid. Look I don't know man if you reckon a deal was going down then yeah guards should be on top of that but people need a place to stand and chat and you not liking the look of them isn't a genuine grievance.

That argument you use is not an uncommon one used to portray anyone who complains about unsocial street behavior by the underclasses as aloof and unkind. Exact same argument made about travelers who loiter round the town all day in gangs and the skangers and drunks that hang around the boardwalk which they ruin for everyone else and make it feel unsafe. The only types I would't complain about are the homeless beggars being their specifically because of the high throughput of pedestrians which would maximize how much money they might make but not the drug addicts who maximize the thieving opportunities they might have and maximize the number of ppl who they annoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Dublin doesn't work at the moment. Not enough of the city is pedestrianised, traffic management doesn't work, public transport is under strain and as an occasional visitors it seems to me there are more and more homeless everywhere. There is also no great planning how many fast food restaurants and similar tat should be in prominent locations. Dumping rubbish is another problem (in general in Ireland). It creates impression of filth and lack of pride in the place.

Dublin has great potential but a great attractive place it is not at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

Cork City is full of beggars and refugees sleeping in shop doorways along Patrick Street in the evenings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭Pretzeluck

Ok, how is this better than same in Italy or Spain where the weather actually allows you to enjoy it. It is a kip compared to Mediterranean

Pretzeluck wrote: »
    Ok, how is this better than same in Italy or Spain where the weather actually allows you to enjoy it. It is a kip compared to Mediterranean

I never said it was better or worse! The weather is pretty good in Dublin, particularly in the summer. Doesn't stop people carrying out all sorts of outdoor activities all year round. Some parts of the Med are far too hot for a lot of activities in mid summer. However, cities are all different, they're the cultural hubs of countries and that's why people flock to them. Including Dublin.... to experience something different, if they were all the same it would be boring. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Pretzeluck wrote: »

I don't know about Spain but Italy can be a bit messy too. They are lucky with the weather and the history (I heard once that half of world UNESCO monuments are in Italy) but parts are very run down and dirty. I think cities a bit more north are better examples of good planning and maintenance. Vienna would be great example except it's full of Austrians. :D

Advertisement