Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What you see in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

pablo128 wrote: »
    I had a look at your previous posts and it seems you were living or staying in Dublin just a couple of years ago, and in fact recommending restaurants in the city.

Or am I missing a joke somewhere?

You were that offended?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

They need to move the junkies out of Dublin city centre, they have ruined O’ Connell Street and O’ Connell Bridge with such zomified people staggering around the place. I like a lot about Dublin, Grafton Street is much nicer than O’ Connell Street, because it’s less scummy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

meeeeh wrote: »
    Dublin doesn't work at the moment. Not enough of the city is pedestrianised, traffic management doesn't work, public transport is under strain and as an occasional visitors it seems to me there are more and more homeless everywhere. There is also no great planning how many fast food restaurants and similar tat should be in prominent locations. Dumping rubbish is another problem (in general in Ireland). It creates impression of filth and lack of pride in the place.

Dublin has great potential but a great attractive place it is not at the moment.

I have found that tourists are very underwhelmed by Dublin unless they are big drinkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I'm from the west of Ireland and for the life of me I cannot understand this Dublin bashing thing.

It's a capital european city, what do you expect? You will see all sorts in cities around the world.

Either some people here don't get out very much or they had an extremely sheltered upbringing...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I do love the smell of fresh grass along the Liffey Boardwalk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I have found that tourists are very underwhelmed by Dublin unless they are big drinkers.

I find the opposite. And I come across a lot of tourists in Dublin. I'm also involved in a large event in Dublin every year that involves athletes and their families coming from all over the world to Dublin, they're not drinkers and they love it. Of all the places in Ireland there's a lot more do to than drink in the capital.

I see most of your posts about the capital are fairly negative and bitchy. I don't believe you come across many tourists in Dublin and you're just getting digs in for the craic. :rolleyes:

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I find the opposite. And I come across a lot of tourists in Dublin. I'm also involved in a large event in Dublin every year that involves athletes and their families coming from all over the world to Dublin, they're not drinkers and they love it. Of all the places in Ireland there's a lot more do to than drink in the capital.

I see most of your posts about the capital are fairly negative and bitchy. I don't believe you come across many tourists in Dublin and you're just getting digs in for the craic. :rolleyes:

I am talking about tourists that I meet on the Wild Atlantic Way. They love Ireland but were very disappointed with Dublin. The first impression of the city centre must be quite brutal.

Obviously you have learned to blank out the zombies and scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Well I doubt that given Dublins immense popularity with foreign tourists, and not all of them drink

I really dont think Dublin justifies it's extortionate price of everything though, pretty nice city, especially if youve loads of money, but if youve loads of money why not just go to paris or london, so I dont get why dublin is so popular really

I am talking about tourists that I meet on the Wild Atlantic Way. They love Ireland but were very disappointed with Dublin. The first impression of the city centre must be quite brutal.

Obviously you have learned to blank out the zombies and scumbags.

I was involved in the development of the WAW and have done 90% of the WAW with my family (pre and post destinational marketing). The tourists I deal with kick-start in Dublin and hit the South West to travel North or hit North West to travel the South and the feedback has always been positive regarding Dublin and of course the WAW.

I'm talking about tourists experiences in Dublin. As a city break and as a gateway to the West via car hire or tour bus the feedback is mostly positive. And the stats agree, regardless or your anecdotes and "talks" you have with tourists. Dublin is still pulling the tourists and they are loving it.

Don't forget, a lot of tourists are brave and cultured, the do things in Ireland and in Dublin without a chip on their shoulder, they're willing to see amazing things that you don't know about like the Trinity library, theatrical plays, galleries, historical shows and other cultural gems, a lot of which are free unlike other parts of the island.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

If Dublin is such a miserable sh1tehole then why is there no room to fvcking move on the streets, roads and shops or or places to live.
    I wish everyone hated Dublin as much as they say they did and pissed off back to their own miserable towns so I can go about my day more freely.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭Pretzeluck

fatknacker wrote: »
    If Dublin is such a miserable sh1tehole then why is there no room to fvcking move on the streets, roads and shops or or places to live.
    I wish everyone hated Dublin as much as they say they did and pissed off back to their own miserable towns so I can go about my day more freely.

But that's the reason, there is no peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

To be fair... I'm not from Dublin but in my town we have a lot of call centres etc.. so I get to meet loads of Spanish, French, German, Italian etc etc, .. they love going to Dublin at weekends and make it their business to tell people "oh I was in Dublin all weekend" so it's not so bad.. I think what most people feel is not hate but total shame and embarrassment that the issue with junkies and 'scummers' is not being addressed and tackled, people saying 'you see it in all big cities across Europe' are totally wrong.. you do not see eg: what the op seen.. you just don't see it... I think it's an awful pity for anyone to witness such FILTH in one of the World's greatest cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,816 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

KevinCavan wrote: »
    They need to move the junkies out of Dublin city centre, they have ruined O’ Connell Street and O’ Connell Bridge with such zomified people staggering around the place. I like a lot about Dublin, Grafton Street is much nicer than O’ Connell Street, because it’s less scummy.

That'd be difficult.

Its an inconvenient truth for many folk that right behind our Capital's main street begins about 15 square kilometres of one of the most economically deprived, socially isolated, drug ravaged, crime riven areas in the land. From Gardiner Street to Sheriff Street, East Wall to Ballybough, North Strand to North Earl Street, the North Inner City is in a dreadful condition and lacking the basics of a community fabric.

Yes, the Community groups and social advocates will be quick to tell me there are some great people to be found there and I absolutely agree that there are, but I also have a good friend who is a senior garda rank based in Store Street and some of the stories he tells would make you go pale. There are only two localities in the Country requiring a full time armed Garda presence and D1 is one of them, and its more than merely Hutch/Kinahan.

Its easy to say empty O'Connell Street of all the scummers and junkies, but they live right next door. O'Connell Street will never achieve its development potential so long as the shadow of intimidation and petty crime hangs over it and i don't see any catalyst coming down the tracks that will change that reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭splashuum

Growing Muslim population.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭applehunter

A City without a soul.

and smackheads.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

A severe and even worsening housing crisis that should have 100,000s out protesting in the streets and demanding a general election.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Dublin is a great city gone to hell by political inaction.
    First thing needed is a visible police presence on foot around the streets to deal with the threat of scumbags

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Deathbytaxes

Was born and raised in Dublin and loved it , met my partner 8 years ago and moved to Laois and now when I visit I can’t wait to drive back to my small town. I don’t know if I was blind to it before or if it’s gotten worse but there is a lot of junkies about not that it’s a uniquely Dublin thing though.

I couldn’t imagine raising my kids in Crumlin and I love it there just prefer where I live now. I feel like the kids have gotten scummier than they where when I was one , not all of them just a select few.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Edgware wrote:
    Dublin is a great city gone to hell by political inaction. First thing needed is a visible police presence on foot around the streets to deal with the threat of scumbags

What should they do to 'deal with them'?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,127 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I'm from the west of Ireland and for the life of me I cannot understand this Dublin bashing thing.

It's a capital european city, what do you expect? You will see all sorts in cities around the world.

Either some people here don't get out very much or they had an extremely sheltered upbringing...

Yeah, but you're from the west of Ireland. I'm sure if I was sitting on a stone wall in Maams Cross then somewhere like Ballyraggett would apper to be almost cosmopolitan to me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    What should they do to 'deal with them'?

Depending on the crime Personally I would say

Arrest
    Charge
    Bring to court
    If guilty send them off to a prison ship somewhere near Rockall. Let them work hard Labour 18 hours a day
    Ship will need heavy security. Probably a job for the army (much better than sending them down to the med as a taxi service)
    Sentences need to be very long and harsh

That’s for starters.

Special treatment should be given to a certain culture that likes to terrorize and violently attack/murder pensioners in their homes.

That’s for starters.

How many politicians would support this?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    How many politicians would support this?

If we keep voting for stupid lazy greedy useless gobsh1tes we have to shoulder some of the blame unfortunalty

If we keep voting for stupid lazy greedy useless gobsh1tes we have to shoulder some of the blame unfortunalty

How many politicians would actually go on this ticket though?

The Dubliners that turn a blind eye to the problems in Dublin city centre only make things worse. If there is no agitation or protestations around the zombies, drug dealers and scumbags, then there will absolutely be no political will to fix it.

The Dubliners that turn a blind eye to the problems in Dublin city centre only make things worse. If there is no agitation or protestations around the zombies, drug dealers and scumbags, then there will absolutely be no political will to fix it.

Mob rule or vigilantism isn’t the answer. As pointed out earlier on in the thread Dublin needs more investment. Extra policing, housing, better public transport etc… is all needed. And believe me, there are people asking for it, you're (again) just now aware of that! But you have to remember, most of the rest of the country is dependent on Dublin cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭223vmax

Is there a needle exchange around Ushers Quay?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Cina wrote: »
    Ah it's the boards.ie weekly "Let's bash Dublin" thread.

Featuring such hits as

"place is full o' scummers!"
    "what a skip, seriously!"
    "can't f*ckin' go anywhere without a car there"
    "where's me Dublin Bus lads?"
    "worse than bleedin' Africa so it is!"

The bus doesn't even give change :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

223vmax wrote: »
    Is there a needle exchange around Ushers Quay?

Merchants Quay.. Nightmare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Depending on the crime Personally I would say

Arrest
    Charge
    Bring to court
    If guilty send them off to a prison ship somewhere near Rockall. Let them work hard Labour 18 hours a day
    Ship will need heavy security. Probably a job for the army (much better than sending them down to the med as a taxi service)
    Sentences need to be very long and harsh

That’s for starters.

Special treatment should be given to a certain culture that likes to terrorize and violently attack/murder pensioners in their homes.
    I sometimes feel sorry for politicians. Imagine going door to door and hearing this drivel and having to convince the person to vote for you even though you have no intention of making human rights watch lists.

Advertisement