Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2019 - General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

It looks really good there, but I'll reserve judgement til I see it on track, in daylight.

I was thinking the same but for some reason I have a feeling it will look even nicer on track.

For me at least, the big reveal sometimes doesn't wow me with it sitting there empty on carpet in low lighting. Then stick a driver in and have it flying around a circuit and looks much nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,302 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Hard to tell from the lighting there, nice looking car though, hopefully it goes a bit better than the last one!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

AMKC wrote: »
    As for being very wide they were this or wider before the 2014 rules came in.

Just look up any of the cars from 2011 the wings went way out and lots of them got broke during the races as the drivers got to close trying to base or get by in a tight corner.

The front wing width limit before 2014 was 1800mm, just like last year. It went down to 1650mm in 2014, then back up; For 2019, it is now 2000mm - they're 20 cm wider than 2011 and last year. They looked the "same" back then because they aligned with the outside wall of the front tire - as the overall maximum width of the cars was also 1800mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,302 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Honourable mention here for Kvyats helmet design, nice and simple.

DzIMZzVX4AAvGSO.jpg

DzIMan9WoAAK_8F.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

The TR looks very similar to las year and the new liveries on Haas and Williams Look great. Similar with kvyat’s helmet I like a few block colours. The more intricate the liveries become the harder it is to tell them apart on the track.

Looking good so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Williams-Neue-Lackierung-2019-fotoshowBig-9db223ae-1423480.jpg

Beautiful shade of blue on the Williams.

Is it something to do with the sponsors or just a colour Williams chose. Old British racing blue maybe? Looks good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I must be only one here who doesn't like the Williams. The blue and white looks like really bad overspray.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Blue was the French racing colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

You're not the only one. I did look at it and didn't get any tingling or goosebumps. So yeah, maybe until it's out on track it may look better.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

It looks like it should be sponsored by Colgate or Aquafresh

• Advertisement

Has the season ever run into December before?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Not since the South African Grand Prix in 1963 - it was the 28th of December!

More than once, the last time it happened 'though was 1963; And in 1962, the final race of the season was held in South Africa on December 29th...

Just saw that the Chinese GP is going to be F1's 1000th Grand Prix...way to waste an opportunity there; The race is in April, they could have designed the calendar so that the 3rd race of the season happened on one of the "Crown Jewels" tracks - Silverstone being the obvious choice, as it was the track that hosted the very first championship race in 1950.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,724 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Cool_CM wrote: »
    It looks like it should be sponsored by Colgate or Aquafresh

Colgate Williams Plax ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,724 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

That lighting is doing the Williams no favours at all. It will look better on the track and hopefully have a few more elements to it

elperello wrote: »
    Blue was the French racing colour.
    British racing colour is traditionally green isn’t it? Like Jaguar

OSI wrote: »
    They were planning to schedule Silverstone for it but decided against it for weather reasons supposedly.

The April weather in Silverstone ain't going to be any sh1ttier nor better than in July, just like here :D:D:D

As a matter of fact, the British Grand Prix was held in April in 2000, and the weather was actually quite better than some of the deluge-submerged races that were held in July. Moreover, if Silverstone has "weather concerns" in April, Monaco and Monza certainly don't...but we get Beijing as the 1000 GP. Meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

recyclebin wrote: »
    I must be only one here who doesn't like the Williams. The blue and white looks like really bad overspray.

You’re not alone, I don’t like it either

"We have the 1,000th grand prix next year and we wanted to do it at Silverstone. I had good conversations with John Grant [BRDC - Silverstone's owners - chairman] but the consensus was that the weather is sub-optimal in April for a grand prix there."

Yeah, I see...rubbish; He clearly doesn't even know/remember a race was held there in April before; England ain't Alaska. I smell MONEY, and I wonder why :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    As a matter of fact, the British Grand Prix was held in April in 2000, and the weather was actually quite better than some of the deluge-submerged races that were held in July.

The weather was OK for the race itself, but rain in the days and weeks before hand made the organisation of the event a bit of a disaster - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/sport/motorsport/723248.stm

Anjobe wrote: »
    The weather was OK for the race itself, but rain in the days and weeks before hand made the organisation of the event a bit of a disaster - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/sport/motorsport/723248.stm

This has happened in July as well - the race in 2008 was held in quite frankly appaling conditions and so was in 1998; it risked cancellation in 2012 and the 2018 MotoGP race (in August) was actually cancelled due to the rain. It simply seems to have sh1tty weather, regardless of the time of the year :P

But then again, if not Silverstone, make it happen in Monza or Monaco, not bloody Beijing. Actually, could've been worse - I could totally see them trying to get the 1000th GP in Baku...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Jordan 199 wrote: »

Looking forward to that. Any idea what time its at?

Can't wait to see the Renault livery. Have to say I thought the Toro Rosso and Williams launches were both a bit boring. The Toro Rosso car just looks like last years car but with a simpler front wing and a lower back one and while the Williams does look a bit different in its new colour its a bit square looking in parts.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    Looking forward to that. Any idea what time its at?

Can't wait to see the Renault livery. Have to say I thought the Toro Rosso and Williams launches were both a bit boring. The Toro Rosso car just looks like last years car but with a simpler front wing and a lower back one and while the Williams does look a bit different in its new colour its a bit square looking in parts.

Hold on - I thought the Williams was last year's car painted in the new livery?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,257 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Hold on - I thought the Williams was last year's car painted in the new livery?

Yeah apparently Williams are very behind in assembling their 2019 car and there are doubts if they will make the first Barcelona test!

Just saw that the Chinese GP is going to be F1's 1000th Grand Prix...way to waste an opportunity there; The race is in April, they could have designed the calendar so that the 3rd race of the season happened on one of the "Crown Jewels" tracks - Silverstone being the obvious choice, as it was the track that hosted the very first championship race in 1950.

I’m going to Silverstone this year and I don’t fancy it in April. Ta very much. If we’re going to have any decent weather for camping and sitting around watching racing, it’s more likely to happen in July than April.

But I agree it could have been a better race than China.

The new Renault is very similar to last year but it’s a good looking car.

I wonder how similar it will be to the Haas on track. Hope it isn’t hard to tell them apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,257 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

DzJfsWRWsAILhup?format=jpg&name=large

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

I’m going to Silverstone this year and I don’t fancy it in April. Ta very much. If we’re going to have any decent weather for camping and sitting around watching racing, it’s more likely to happen in July than April.

But I agree it could have been a better race than China.

I was planning Silverstone this year and still might but it's working out cheaper to camp at Spa or Hockenheim.
    I'd love to do Silverstone though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I think I post this every year, but my lord I miss the old Renault livery.

2081142516635.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement