Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2019 - General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Burkie1203 wrote: »

I can’t wait for Netflix to cover this saga. Will be classic TV for sure. It’s like Fyre festival all over again. Pure bluff.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,572 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Lol I would say he does not even have 3.5 million never mind 35 million.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,183 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The sponsor drama this weekend was more entertaining than the actual cars. God help Magnussen when he had to face Steiner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Killinator

This should put a smile on anyone's face:

Lewis: they told me I need to drive slow
    Frank: seriously?!

:):):)

• Advertisement

Killinator wrote: »

Loved this guess they did not trust one of their own drivers to bring Sir Frank out. Loved the interaction between Claire and her father.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭g1983d

Killinator wrote: »

Saw that at the weekend and thought it was great, wouldn't be a Lewis fan but thought he did a great job there and showed his true personality.
    To be fair to Lewis I think he is generally guarded with his personality because he has to be.

I also saw Nico Rosbergs podcast with Claire Williams at the weekend which give a good insight into her and Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Loved this guess they did not trust one of their own drivers to bring Sir Frank out. Loved the interaction between Claire and her father.

"Practically new convertible Mercedes Benz for sale, factory owned, always kept garaged, only about 12km on the clock all driven on smooth, brand new tarmac. Call Toto +44 7......." :D:D:D

That car was "cooked to perfection" after these two laps...you just don't tell an F1 driver to go "slow" :P

IIRC it was Mercedes' initiative, so it makes sense it was Hamilton doing it - or maybe Bottas, but I have heard over the week end that Lewis explicitly wanted to do this for Sir Frank.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Frank is in better shape than I thought.
    Didn't think he would be up to that as he has stopped travelling to gp.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

Gintonious wrote: »

Don't think Haas is allowed to change their name, see the not force India saga

Harika wrote: »

I think that might be a different case because the team went into receivership, could be wrong though.

They cant change constructor name.

Force India went from "Sahara Force India F1 Team" to "Racing Point Force India F1 Team"

They just had to stay as Force India - Mercedes as constructor.

Like after crashgate in 09 when Renault lost ING from their full name.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

pjohnson wrote: »
    They cant change constructor name.

Force India went from "Sahara Force India F1 Team" to "Racing Point Force India F1 Team"

They just had to stay as Force India - Mercedes as constructor.

Like after crashgate in 09 when Renault lost ING from their full name.

We had BMW sauber with ferrari engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

There's something fishy with the new owner, it's a company called the BDG group. Storey is trying to pull a fast one

https://www.thebdggroup.com/

Iirc that was to do with them wanting to keep to 2009 BMW Sauber prize money they kept the name for 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Gintonious wrote: »
    I think that might be a different case because the team went into receivership, could be wrong though.

You're right. Effectively force India went bust and the new team took over after Hungary. The new team was only allowed to join due to the grace of the other teams and it started with no points (because it was brand new)

That's a lot of hassle to just drop rich energy from the name. But F1might create an exception to breath ygr association with rich energy.

I wonder if they will change away from the Black and gold rich energy livery. I don't think it's difficult too difficult to change livery.

Autosport not holding back really, they never actually mention Rich by name in this at all.

skipper_G wrote: »
    There's something fishy with the new owner, it's a company called the BDG group. Storey is trying to pull a fast one

https://www.thebdggroup.com/
    Fncking hell, he is really taking the piss with his tangled web of bullcrap.
    A couple of weeks in jail might soften his cough.
    He is some clown. The only thing that would make sense to me now was if William Storey doesn't in fact exist, he would shave the beard and disappear the Storey identity. That would be pretty interesting.
    He is so deep in the sh1t, I don't know what he is doing. Nobody could be this crazy....spending investors money to trash your own brand and that of partners and get into all manner of legal problems along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭flazio

We have Aston Martin Red Bull Racing right now, with Honda engines. Alfa Romeo with Ferrari engines.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

mickdw wrote: »
    He is some clown. The only thing that would make sense to me now was if William Storey doesn't in fact exist, he would shave the beard and disappear the Storey identity. That would be pretty interesting.
    He is so deep in the sh1t, I don't know what he is doing. Nobody could be this crazy....spending investors money to trash your own brand and that of partners and get into all manner of legal problems along the way.

Definitely - could be a Fyre Festival-style documentary on the way for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

I literally have no idea what is going on with this anymore.
    Can anyone give a few line summary?

seamusk84 wrote: »

I literally have no idea what is going on with this anymore.
    Can anyone give a few line summary?
    I dont think anyone knows but where are you up to on the goings on of Rich Energy?

Lads get your rich energy merchandise and cans while you can. This stuff is going to go down in F1 folklore

Lads get your rich energy merchandise and cans while you can. This stuff is going to go down in F1 folklore

We bought a crate for Silverstone. Only drank a few because it's rank (and a weekend of beer at all hours of the day can loosen the bowels enough without adding energy drinks into the mix).

We were hoping the HAAS merch would be going cheap but it wasn't.

The black and gold livery is nice. I wonder whether they will Change the livery.

Return to ground effect cars under 2021 rules. Getting rid of all the aero shyte which cost millions to develop and have absolutely no real world application. Can only be a good thing. Especially if it allows cars to follow more closely.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/new-f1-car-design-rules-2021/4496319/amp/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

Return to ground effect cars under 2021 rules. Getting rid of all the aero shyte which cost millions to develop and have absolutely no real world application. Can only be a good thing. Especially if it allows cars to follow more closely.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/new-f1-car-design-rules-2021/4496319/amp/

The ground effect cars will cost millions to develop and have absolutely no real world application too.

It is a step in the right direction for overtaking though.

Such a shame they won't deal with the bigger issue of the engines though. They're what are so expensive and complicated that they're making it impossible for non-manufacturers to compete, they're what are creating such heavy cars that the regulations were forced to allow such massive levels of downforce (or ground effect) so they don't end up looking as slow as GP2 cars, and that weight also leads to increased tyre loads that forced Pirelli to go conservative, and the drivers to drive conservative.

quokula wrote: »
    The ground effect cars will cost millions to develop and have absolutely no real world application too.

It is a step in the right direction for overtaking though.

Such a shame they won't deal with the bigger issue of the engines though. They're what are so expensive and complicated that they're making it impossible for non-manufacturers to compete, they're what are creating such heavy cars that the regulations were forced to allow such massive levels of downforce (or ground effect) so they don't end up looking as slow as GP2 cars, and that weight also leads to increased tyre loads that forced Pirelli to go conservative, and the drivers to drive conservative.

Exactly these PU’s are the biggest mistake to bring into F1 they have brought us nothing beneficial to the sport. Leave electric power to Formula E it has no place in F1 along with the crazy cost it is keeping other companies out of joining just look at Porsche having built a 2021 PU and when it was decided to keep the existing PU design they said no way. Such an opportunity wasted to get Porsche into F1.

Exactly these PU’s are the biggest mistake to bring into F1 they have brought us nothing beneficial to the sport. Leave electric power to Formula E it has no place in F1 along with the crazy cost it is keeping other companies out of joining just look at Porsche having built a 2021 PU and when it was decided to keep the existing PU design they said no way. Such an opportunity wasted to get Porsche into F1.

Without the power units three would be no manufactures in F1. It would be completely irrelevant to Mercedes etc as nd they would most likely have just gone to focus on FE or similar. F1 has to be the pinnacle of future technology or else it's just another racing formula.

It isn't the premier motorsport formula my privilege, it's there on merit. If it ceases to be the cutting edge, it will cease to be the premier motor sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

Without the power units three would be no manufactures in F1. It would be completely irrelevant to Mercedes etc as nd they would most likely have just gone to focus on FE or similar. F1 has to be the pinnacle of future technology or else it's just another racing formula.

It isn't the premier motorsport formula my privilege, it's there on merit. If it ceases to be the cutting edge, it will cease to be the premier motor sport.

There were more manufacturers in F1 prior to these power units, and the likes of Porsche and VW were turned off by them.

It's true that Mercedes threatened to quit if they didn't introduce these power units, but that would have been pretty beneficial to the sport in hindsight.

Edit: Also my definition of cutting edge is "most fit for purpose" - these power units are heavier and slower than what came before and only exist because the word "hybrid" was of marketing benefit, and because Mercedes invested a ton of money in getting a head start and used political will to force it through. The laptimes are only faster because of the huge amount of extra downforce they put on the cars to compensate for the subpar engines, which in turn has destroyed racing. The headline power numbers get quoted a lot for publicity, and they are powerful, but that ignores that they only have that power some of the time and are underpowered while they harvest, and none of it makes up for the enormous extra weight that they carry through corners, which reduces cornering speed and puts more load on the tyres and discourages drivers from pushing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement