Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2019 - General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

tigerboon wrote: »
    Four wheels outside the white lines should be have a time penalty. How to apply it is the problem. Quite reasonable considering the consequences in the old days. If there's to be a toll on the car, it cannot affect other competitors. Power loss penalty is probably the answer to both.

the penalty loop is probably the best for these type things

sand traps were great to penalise any severe run offs but now there would have to be a safety car and that would ruin things too

• Registered Users Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

the penalty loop is probably the best for these type things

sand traps were great to penalise any severe run offs but now there would have to be a safety car and that would ruin things too

People would complain that it robs us of real battles for position. Hamilton chasing bottas, bottas runs wide in a particular corner twice, bottas gets a loop penalty, Hamilton sails through.

I think a lot of people who t be happy until we get back to a past that never existed. The time where villenuve and arnoux fraught for the lead on the last lap of every race.

We'll have to see what the new rules throw up in 2021.

People would complain that it robs us of real battles for position. Hamilton chasing bottas, bottas runs wide in a particular corner twice, bottas gets a loop penalty, Hamilton sails through.

I think a lot of people who t be happy until we get back to a past that never existed. The time where villenuve and arnoux fraught for the lead on the last lap of every race.

We'll have to see what the new rules throw up in 2021.

I agree but what difference would it make if a penalty was going to be added to the next pit stop or to the time after the race.

I wouldn't use it when someone runs wide , just give the advantage back. I would use it for middle of the road seriousness where a time penalty would normally be used

I would also have 2 loops . One that cost you half a second and one a few seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Creating loops will only create a cost to tracks unless there was a loop/road already there. Perhaps hitting a sensor off the racing line is a penalty (similar to the attack mode sensors in Fe). Most tracks have areas where you don't want to have to venture off-line due to marbles and dirt.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,257 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The new sausage kerbs in Austria that were killing noses all through the practices were good. Or more of the abrasive paint used at Paul Ricard to make shíte outta the tyres if the car goes onto them.

Use those kerbs/abrassive surface to disinsentivise going off track and punish them. Given most drivers have to try conserving tyres for about 1/4 of the race degrading the tyres enough would basically force them to pit anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

pjohnson wrote: »
    The new sausage kerbs in Austria that were killing noses all through the practices were good. Or more of the abrasive paint used at Paul Ricard to make shíte outta the tyres if the car goes onto them.

Use those kerbs/abrassive surface to disinsentivise going off track and punish them. Given most drivers have to try conserving tyres for about 1/4 of the race degrading the tyres enough would basically force them to pit anyway.

I agree about the kerbs in Austria but not so sure about the abrasive paint. Did that paint even work?. I do not remember to many of them being affected by it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    I agree about the kerbs in Austria but not so sure about the abrasive paint. Did that paint even work?. I do not remember to many of them being affected by it.

I think Perez complained at the start. I'd make it more abrasive/grippy. It would still be safe to put in the run off area as it would slow the car aswell as bólloxing the tyre, tyre degredation would be a killer.

astrofluff wrote: »
    Creating loops will only create a cost to tracks unless there was a loop/road already there. Perhaps hitting a sensor off the racing line is a penalty (similar to the attack mode sensors in Fe). Most tracks have areas where you don't want to have to venture off-line due to marbles and dirt.

most tracks are designed to be changed to suit lots of diferent configurations. it shouldnt add any costs at all to most tracks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Rossi IRL wrote: »

I liked the fact that ferrari wasn't involved. It's the worst team for talking freely to the media and the whole charm of the show way the fact that it wasnt polished and manicured by the PR people.

I know it's not a popular opinion but I see ferrari as the vestigial organ in f1. It must be the worst value for money team on the grid over the last decade and still it thrives because it's able to coast on reputation and VETO any rule changes that don't suit it.

I fear the only way it would agree to take part in season 2 is if it gets to stage manage its inputs -and maybe the overall content and contributions by other teams.

F1 should cut the cord to ferrari and give them an ultimatum. Behave like a normal team or go fly a kite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,724 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Mercedes to be running a white one-off livery this weekend:

Mercedes-Formel-1-GP-Deutschland-Hockenheim-24-Mai-2019-articleGalleryOverlay-de30babf-1613615.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,867 ✭✭✭✭flazio

https://twitter.com/MercedesAMGF1/status/1153574687781380098?s=09
    I believe it's to celebrate their 125th anniversary.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I thought it was to prop up Williams in constructors

Only a half job it appears.
    Dissapointing
    https://twitter.com/F1/status/1154412241933996032?s=19

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

About as dull as their usual livery :o

About as dull as their usual livery :o

The normal livery is... grand. Only grand but not bad. And they will never change it while they're on such a great run of success o er the last few years.

But the 125 year livery is nice be only on the front of the car is stupid. It might be nice on the full car though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

The normal livery is... grand. Only grand but not bad. And they will never change it while they're on such a great run of success o er the last few years.

But the 125 year livery is nice be only on the front of the car is stupid. It might be nice on the full car though.

I think it's shocking :( for me the lack of colour and variation is atrocious. Grey and light blue is about as plain as it gets. Not sporty enough for me. Give me the Ferrari or Red Bull any day.

Yeah they'll definitely never change it, no sign of any real change for the last several years.

thats probably down to sponsers and legal requirments and other boring behind the scenes stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭g1983d

thats probably down to sponsers and legal requirments and other boring behind the scenes stuff

Silver arrows, silver car.
    They've tried to brighten it up with the green/teal but not enough, this team were is nice though

The teaser shot of the white was nice but full car shot, mix if both, meh

I think it's shocking :( for me the lack of colour and variation is atrocious. Grey and light blue is about as plain as it gets. Not sporty enough for me. Give me the Ferrari or Red Bull any day.

Yeah they'll definitely never change it, no sign of any real change for the last several years.

I suppose for Mercedes the livery has to be classic rather than high energy and modern.

• Advertisement

Crash a Red Bull and a Mercedes Benz into each other and you'd come out with a 90s/00s Sauber.
    https://images.app.goo.gl/vTg21e8hznsggbfM9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

flazio wrote: »
    Crash a Red Bull and a Mercedes Benz into each other and you'd come out with a 90s/00s Sauber.
    https://images.app.goo.gl/vTg21e8hznsggbfM9

The best looking Sauber's were the 93-95 cars

Didnt Red Bull sponsor Arrows first in F1? Bernoldi was Red Bull backed iirc.

Red Bull first appeared in 1995 sponsoring Sauber.

They were a minor sponsor for Arrows due to Bernoldi yes, however the main livery on their car from 00 to their demise in 02 was the mobile phone company Orange, again another great livery

The best looking Sauber's were the 93-95 cars

The 1995 C14 looks great:

304160.jpg

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Red Bull first appeared in 1995 sponsoring Sauber.

Jaysus I genuinely didnt know the company itself was that old!

Red Bull was formed in 1987

Sauber must be the longest running team without much success. Usually the private teams like Williams and mclaren have either won championships or gone bust.

• Advertisement

Sauber must be the longest running team without much success. Usually the private teams like Williams and mclaren have either won championships or gone bust.

As a complete independent they were 93-05 & 10-18. No point including the BMW ownership of 06-09. They were equal to Minardi 85-05 in being there as an independent constructor for 20 years each

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement