Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2019 - General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Harika

pjohnson wrote: »
    Is anyone allowed make them or was it not a mod that made them?

Anyone, just too busy with new job to start one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Great qualifying by the McLaren!

Was hoping Dani could go higher but he did well. Hopefully we get some entertainment from the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

HighLine wrote: »
    Think this could be the first time I remember there not being a race thread on here... says it all really about the current interest in F1.

Formula E is where its at! Way more exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

DanDan6592 wrote: »

SO8VK6U.jpg

• Advertisement

When the cars arent stuck at a corner like Galway/Dublin traffic

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

This year I've been trying Formula 2 and find it great craic. Just can't quite get onboard with Formula E.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

This year I've been trying Formula 2 and find it great craic. Just can't quite get onboard with Formula E.

FE has two small issues for me

Tracks are too narrow in part
    They always have some stupid chicane

But 8 or 9 different winners tells it's own story too about how competitive it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

The discussion here of the Hamilton rejoining says it all. Big debate over something so minor. I know the vettel context adds interest, but we really should have many more interesting talking points

Unsurprisingly McLaren announce Alonso is no longer part of their testing team. No suprise as he was replaced by Sirotkin yesterday anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,701 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

pjohnson wrote:
    Unsurprisingly McLaren announce Alonso is no longer part of their testing team. No suprise as he was replaced by Sirotkin yesterday anyway.
    I think he is being lined up for a full time move to Indycar. Much better for him, rules in place to ensure everybody has a chance and not just one car manufacturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Inviere

vectra wrote: »
    What nonsense is this??
    What has it got to do with "gaining an advantage"?
    The issue I see is Hamilton forced another driver off the track !
    IE
    Rejoined in a dangerous manner.

Kimi done the same thing to Grosjean later on, I presume you’ll be screaming for justice for Grosjean?

DanDan6592 wrote: »

The racing is better, definitely. The tracks though, dear god the tracks :( I still can’t really get into FE at the moment because the battery tech isn’t there yet, ie, needing to race on uninspiring artificial street tracks which may as well be the same track for every race. When FE cars are belting around Silverstone, Spa, Shanghai, etc, at full pace on a single charge, then colour me sold. The whole “bringing the racing to the people” pitch is nothing but pure PR...the cars are still very limited, albeit improving nicely.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Very superficial but nonetheless important to me - I kinda hate the sound and looks of the Formula E cars too :o

Very superficial but nonetheless important to me - I kinda hate the sound and looks of the Formula E cars too :o

I actually like the look of them, and the sound doesn’t really bother me. I just can’t accept the tracks, they’re beyond crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,681 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

What sound?
    Inviere wrote: »
    I actually like the look of them, and the sound doesn’t really bother me. I just can’t accept the tracks, they’re beyond crap.

Yes I agree the tracks are still crap. That should be Formula E's next goal to get better tracks.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Agreed, it was frustrating seeing all of those Mickey Mouse chicanes in yesterday's ePrix that forced the drivers into single file.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

McLaren are bulding their own wind tunnel. Was very surprised to read that they have been using Toyotas in Cologne for the last tens years. It will be up and running in 2 years.

recyclebin wrote: »
    McLaren are bulding their own wind tunnel. Was very surprised to read that they have been using Toyotas in Cologne for the last tens years. It will be up and running in 2 years.

You have to hand it to them, they’ve gone from being alongside Williams to fighting just behind Red Bull. Quite impressive really, in such a short time. Williams are just shambolic at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,623 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

I'm very impressed with how well Norris has adapted to F1, has it all really, speed and racecraft, good with the media, handles the pressure well. That was a tough situation to manage the problem and still bring the car home in the points.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Fair enough, I think they decent enough though to be honest!

I like the idea of having mainly street circuits though the problem is that they don't leave alot of room for overtaking, so the sooner they go to proper circuits the better maybe.

I see Hamilton won again today...Shocker!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

it needs a fair bit to sort the sport out.

I think some of the changes need to be along the lines of ,

Qualifying : only the opening race of the season and the race after the summer break should have full qualifying for all Cars.
    every other race one to ten from the previous race can go for pole . 11 to last its your starting place next race.
    It would mean teams like Williams wouldn't be wasting time on qual . It means if team link Racing point or Toro get top ten they get to defend that the next day ..or go for better. Your then rewarding Race pace and points finishes more .

Race Distance : Need to be shorted , but fuel capacity needs to remain the same So at least they can push for longer.

The Rubber problem : Too many bloody choices and the tires never work as advertised . Not seen any driver put on the red tires and go on a charge with 10 laps to go . That's what they are suppose to there for but never work. Reduce it to just 2 types. Red or Yellow each race. you can use which every . All Red you would be fast but wear more . Mix it up if you like one red set , one yellow set . Stupid rule having to use all the types specified .

Engine Modes : if the mode cannot do 50% of the race minimum you can't have it all.

Driver engineer : Really should only be telling driver if they see issues with the car . Shouldn't be telling them the tires are hot or cold or all the other rubbish . Actually let the driver race.

I am sure everyone has stuff they want added or changed . That's always the same things in my head. Anything but the bring back refueling ...that would be a disaster .

I am sure my post is out of order , bit of rant going on after watching the race . Loads of potential between teams but nothing panned out. bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbaaaaaaaaaaaah

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

At a bare minimum, they should allow any of the cars get points for fastest lap!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭chicorytip

antodeco wrote:
    At a bare minimum, they should allow any of the cars get points for fastest lap!

It's a complete gimmick. Why award an extra point to Vettel for finishing a distant fifth? If the championship was tightly contested that could possibly be a title winning point at the end of the season. It's all very cynical and unsporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Harika

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Is indycar the new lmp that does everything right?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Harika wrote: »
    Is indycar the new lmp that does everything right?

Its sounding like it, LMP looks very promising for the future as well with the new rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Joeface wrote: »
    it needs a fair bit to sort the sport out.

I think some of the changes need to be along the lines of ,

Qualifying : only the opening race of the season and the race after the summer break should have full qualifying for all Cars.
    every other race one to ten from the previous race can go for pole . 11 to last its your starting place next race.
    It would mean teams like Williams wouldn't be wasting time on qual . It means if team link Racing point or Toro get top ten they get to defend that the next day ..or go for better. Your then rewarding Race pace and points finishes more .

So a bad finish or a DNF fuks a drivers prospects for at least one more race, no thanks.

Also reducing the running of backmarkers will limit their exposure and make getting sponsorship money even harder.

Qualy is the one area where F1 has more or less got it right, it doesn't need to be messed around with.

The one thing I think they could take from the likes of Indy is to move the start/finish for qualy to before the last corner so cars can go straight to the pits after a fast lap, it would reduce the amount of slow cars getting in the way of fast laps and allow quicker turnarounds for second/third attempts.
    Race Distance : Need to be shorted , but fuel capacity needs to remain the same So at least they can push for longer.

Nope, the races just need to have enough action in them than 90mns doesn't seem like a lifetime. It's the processional nature of F1 not the length of the races that needs fixing.

The cars fuel capacity is not really an issue any more like it was in 2014-15 but fuel will always be a factor as teams will never put more than just enough in as the extra weight is such a performance killer. At most races the cars do not start with full tanks now.
    The Rubber problem : Too many bloody choices and the tires never work as advertised . Not seen any driver put on the red tires and go on a charge with 10 laps to go . That's what they are suppose to there for but never work. Reduce it to just 2 types. Red or Yellow each race. you can use which every . All Red you would be fast but wear more . Mix it up if you like one red set , one yellow set . Stupid rule having to use all the types specified .

The current tyres are awful, how to fix it is probably more difficult. The perfect tyres would be ones which degrade in a slow curve through use and then become useless at a certain wear % but aren't so sensitive to temperature and conditioning so far less attention needs to be given to looking after the things.

The window for these yokes to be at their best is so small that the teams spend most of the weekend (and god knows how much money in research) chasing it.

Has anybody ever given a toss which driver is best at keeping the Pirelli's in their temp window? I doubt it but it is a massive part of a F1 race weekend now.

I might be wrong but switching from the current doughnuts to low profile tyres might help as the tyres structure would be more stable and not be a secondary suspension for the cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Every car to have same size fuel tank and all to be full at start of race. Change the rule so you don't have to run two different compounds during a race.

Stop changing aero and engine rules. The midfield will catch up quicker then and the rate of development from faster cars will tail off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

There was a time when F1 was interesting and spectacular. So it can be done. Unfortunately it is hard to undo "progress".

I might be a minority of one, but I much preferred the old style qualification. A surprise was always on the cards right up to the last few minutes.

Multiple tyre suppliers would transform the sport. Today, Pirelli are told to create tyres which cannot last the race. This is done to add "excitement". I once drove from Carlow to Dublin at 3 am with a slow puncture in one tyre. I too managed the tyre and is was as exciting as a modern F1 race!. When we had multiple suppliers they tried to make tyres suitable for the racetrack.

Reduce the aerodynamic aids to the cars. This might be impossible now but it is the main reason we cannot get close corner to corner racing. We could get rid of DRS for good.

Look regularly at MotoGP and there is no comparison between it and F1 now. Overtaking at almost every braking point and race right to the chequered flag is a regular occurrence.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement