Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Parliament Elections 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I agree with you, I'm mainly voting Independent if there is a decent Independent.

Independents are good for local elections but a disaster for National Elections.
    As Independent TD's tend to focus on their local area but that's not their job, their job is to look after national interest, but then they have no real power to do that! Catch 22

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

There's really only one in Dublin, but unfortunately I cannot remember his name.
    Ben Gilroy.....:pac:

Define "middle class" and "well off"?

It has a different meaning to most but to me its like this:

Middle Class: Can afford holidays, cars etc without getting loans but would have to stretch to send kids to private school. Not struggling but not swimming in cash.

Well Off: Money is not an an issue, kids going to private school, 3-4 holidays a year etc. No financial worries or struggles.

Independents are good for local elections but a disaster for National Elections.
    As Independent TD's tend to focus on their local area but that's not their job, their job is to look after national interest, but then they have no real power to do that! Catch 22
    Maybe but there is a good few Independents who are ministers at the moment, they done pretty well out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

There's really only one in Dublin, but unfortunately I cannot remember his name.
    Mark Mullan - that's who I was thinking of.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod Note

Another reminder of the chater:
    Keep your language civil, particularly when referring to other posters and people in the public eye. Using unsavoury language does not add to your argument. Examples would be referring to other people or groups as scumbags, crusties, sheeple, shills, trolls, traitors or saying that recently deceased people should “rot in hell” or similar. Repeated use of terms like that will result in a ban from the forum.

There's been several warnings about this in recent weeks, so we're now carding people. Be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

But as long as FG/FF are the majority parties in goverment, the small ones can have no influence.

Maybe, but the choice is there, it's just still that the bigger parties still end up close to or in control.

Saying there's no choice because you don't like who the majority vote for is being a bit disingenuous.

Maybe but there is a good few Independents who are ministers at the moment, they done pretty well out of it

"Done pretty well out of it""

For themselves or for the country. Only one I can see that is doing a decent job is Zappone

Maybe, but the choice is there, it's just still that the bigger parties still end up close to or in control.

Saying there's no choice because you don't like who the majority vote for is being a bit disingenuous.

I am saying there is no choice in terms who can run the country!

I am saying there is no choice in terms who can run the country!
    Varadkar will still be Taoiseach next time. Martin isn't up to the job and the others in FF aren't much improvement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Greens are unproven in terms of governing or developing practical policies in terms of industry, the economy and health for example. But, they're raisin d'etre, the environment, is the area in most need of attention in my view so I'm going support any reasonably capable green candidate where I can.

Weren't the Greens in government from 2007 til 2011?

I don't agree with the carbon tax at all, and it's overly targeting people less well off when they should be going after corporations.
    I agree completely with the carbon tax the way it has been done in Canada.

John Oliver did a good explainer of it last week: https://youtu.be/JDcro7dPqpA?t=936

The rebates going back to people will exceed the increased costs for 70% of households with the most money going to the poorest households.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭crossman47

"Done pretty well out of it""

For themselves or for the country. Only one I can see that is doing a decent job is Zappone

Well she has certainly succeeded in pushing her own agenda but whether thats good for the country is another issue.

Varadkar will still be Taoiseach next time. Martin isn't up to the job and the others in FF aren't much improvement.
    I mean, clearly the European Elections will have no impact on who the Taoiseach is. :confused:

It has a different meaning to most but to me its like this:

Middle Class: Can afford holidays, cars etc without getting loans but would have to stretch to send kids to private school. Not struggling but not swimming in cash.

Well Off: Money is not an an issue, kids going to private school, 3-4 holidays a year etc. No financial worries or struggles.

I'm well off and I have a car, but when possible I use public transport in Dublin. I actually wish we had a better PT network so I could use the car less or ditch it altogether. I get my shopping delivered and, already, if I need to move something big I rent one of those GoCar vans.

I mean, clearly the European Elections will have no impact on who the Taoiseach is. :confused:
    It was an off topic response to the other post.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I wouldn't be so certain; Leo has never had to lead FG into an election yet, his government is stuttering on key issues like housing and health, and his cabinet is full of - quite frankly - unlikeable characters.

If you've ever seen him in real life, he's also not good around people, seems like he'd rather not be there. I don't expect to see him perform well on the stump or in debates.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,017 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I think you find they vote FF and FG mainly.

To be honest there is not that much of choice in Ireland.

Plenty of choice on the left, very little on the right...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Well off people own cars? Jaysis, we have two we must be rolling in it.

I'll be voting Green, and only Green, in the Euros. Every single one of the other Dublin candidates do nothing for me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

She hasn't a notion of getting elected.
    Based on what?

• Advertisement

McGuinness, Ming and Carty will get 3 seats I think and the 4th is the one up for grabs.

Smith could get it I think or outside bet maybe Casey.
    Casey will not get the transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Well off people own cars? Jaysis, we have two we must be rolling in it.

I'll be voting Green, and only Green, in the Euros. Every single one of the other Dublin candidates do nothing for me at all.

I've found myself doing that in several European elections now: voting Green #1 and dropping the pen. I usually fill out the full ballot paper in locals and general elections.

I'm well off and I have a car, but when possible I use public transport in Dublin. I actually wish we had a better PT network so I could use the car less or ditch it altogether. I get my shopping delivered and, already, if I need to move something big I rent one of those GoCar vans.

But i didn't say "well off" didn't use PT, just said middle class uses it alot more when its a good option.

I will probably going FG in European and stop there.
    Ind, FG, Ind in local and stop there.

I would not take much head of polling, only 400 people were polled in that Irish Times poll. The electorate is closer to 1.5 million in MNW. Australian polling last week was totally wrong, it is clearly no longer reliable.

4th seat is up for grabs. I have a feeling Casey might nick it even though he was embarrassing last night.
    It won't be far off and is a useful reference for where seats will go. That FG have allowed Walsh to campaign so far east suggests they think she may be in for a second seat. Casey is completely untested in transfers and I think he's absolutely toxic.

Yurt! wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so certain; Leo has never had to lead FG into an election yet, his government is stuttering on key issues like housing and health, and his cabinet is full of - quite frankly - unlikeable characters.

If you've ever seen him in real life, he's also not good around people, seems like he'd rather not be there. I don't expect to see him perform well on the stump or in debates.

FG are stuttering on key issues that all governments in the past stuttered on. Nothing new there.

Met Leo a few times at running events, seems like a nice guy but does like to keep his distance, but that is just who he is.

is_that_so wrote: »
    It won't be far off and is a useful reference for where seats will go. That FG have allowed Walsh to campaign so far east suggests they think she may be in for a second seat. Casey is completely untested in transfers and I think he's absolutely toxic.
    Walsh wasn't even in the election debate. I've not seen or heard anyone state they will vote for her apart from Fine Gael politicians bigging her up. Even on here every single comment has been negative about her apart from yourself.

Walsh wasn't even in the election debate. I've not seen or heard anyone state they will vote for her apart from Fine Gael politicians bigging her up. Even on here every single comment has been negative about her apart from yourself.
    Yeah, that's because RTE said one from each party. Wasn't she on a TV3 debate at some point? I've no real opinion of her TBH except that she's got an unbeatable running mate who will probably bring her home.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Moghead

Yurt! wrote: »

I think you could say the same thing about FF being full of unlikeable characters at the moment too. Very few of them come accross well. No one else in the party who could lead them into government at the moment. I do think Martin is more personable than Leo though.

I was reading the questionnaire that The Journal sent out to the MEPs for Ireland South. Most of the ones who replied came accross relatively well, Clune didn't say much and the Identity Ireland lad seems like a complete head-the-ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I hope Walsh doesn't get elected
    Hate to see candidates parachuted in like that by parties
    Same with Durkan in Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭VG31

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    I hope Walsh doesn't get elected
    Hate to see candidates parachuted in like that by parties
    Same with Durkan in Dublin

Maybe he has been "parachuted in", but Durkan has a lot of political experience. Walsh has nothing.

Advertisement