Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did anyone see this UFO last Friday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Aliens are quite plausible given some of the ideas out there.
    We may be living in a simulation is a genuine scientific theory.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/are-we-living-in-a-computer-simulation/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

vicwatson wrote: »
    Oh jesus some conspiracy theorists have made it across the void to AH

not even remotely, I stated in my post that I don't think it's likely it was aliens, just curious as to what makes you sure it wasn't.

But I see you don't have much of an answer for me?
    Occams razor really.

The likelihood of it being something like meteors, high end military testing etc is far far far far far higher then it being Aliens.

Look at the unimaginable distances involved to the closest star systems... why would they be arsed buzzing around our skies showing little hints of their existence ?
    If they could fly all that distance their tech. is vastly superior to ours and wouldn't be caught out by our ATC.

That is very true, and I'd be quite happy with an explanation of high end military testing, although you'd have to wonder why they would be doing that here rather than any number of sparsely populated areas that would be available.

If you want to stick with Occam's Razor though, the assumption there aren't any aliens out there would be equally wrong. Odds of that would be astronomically* (hurhur) small. (You're right though that the odds of them actually visiting here would be pretty remote).

*unless you're a creationist, in which case there's little point continuing this debate :D

Occams razor really.

The likelihood of it being something like meteors, high end military testing etc is far far far far far higher then it being Aliens.

Look at the unimaginable distances involved to the closest star systems... why would they be arsed buzzing around our skies showing little hints of their existence ?
    If they could fly all that distance their tech. is vastly superior to ours and wouldn't be caught out by our ATC.

Everything we know is not all there is to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

If it was high end military testing whose military and why were they in Irish airspace? (I think we can rule out the Irish military unless they have developed some top secret new technology.):rolleyes:

Yeah very unlikely, but the whole point is compared to it being Aliens - it's far more likely.

Yeah very unlikely, but the whole point is compared to it being Aliens - it's far more likely.

I think was can safely assume that if it was military it wasn't Irish.

That'd be less likely than aliens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Pilot asks Ballygireen about military testing. Like they would know! She directs civilian flights.

You really think that is something that is part of, say, Russian protocol - "tell Shannon in advance when we send stealthcraft into their area"?

Some people here don't understand Occam's razor, or if they do simply don't like it.

Pilot's language was very strange -
    Another pilot said the speed of the UFO was “astronomical, it was like Mach 2”, or twice the speed of sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,991 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

but seriously, I wonder could it have been next gen military testing, I mean let's be honest, It wasn't f*cking aliens!!!

Em.... we don't even have this generation military gear, so if it was, it wasn't us

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

i seen a ufo a few years ago, i remember posting about it on boards to see if any one else had seen it, flew out over the sea by the james larken road in dublin it was far away like but it was insanely fast done the distance i usually seen planes doing along there in a few seconds and flew around at crazy arch's and then shot out over the sea. No one ever believes me i was just putting out the bin at first i thought it was a star it was bright redy orange but solid didnt any have any kind of glinting like you would see on a fire work even a fire for example, it was just this orb of redy orange. i was just gob smacked didnt even think of getting my camera. I seen similar videos of it online from the Dublin area.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Driving one night a few years ago, I saw something unidentifiable in the sky that seemed to shoot upwards, and my wife asked, what I was looking at and then she said she saw it too after I told her. It was like two lights in the sky over a tree line, that shot off at speed, and we couldnt explain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

maccored wrote: »
    Occams razor is a likelyhood - ie the solution with the least amount of assumptions MAY prove to be correct. Its not an absolute

Occam's Razor is an absolute- it fully cuts out the negligibly likely in favor of the more probable. That's why it's called a Razor and not Occam's Highlighter Pen.

• Advertisement

Occam's Razor is an absolute- it fully cuts out the negligibly likely in favor of the more probable. That's why it's called a Razor and not Occam's Highlighter Pen.

We don't know the probability of aliens buzzing the skies.
    Could be perfectly normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Life might (and probably does) exist elsewhere in the universe but that doesn't mean we aren't the most technically advanced race.

kneemos wrote: »
    We don't know the probability of aliens buzzing the skies.
    Could be perfectly normal.

Sure, but that doesn't change what Occam's Razor is.

Life might (and probably does) exist elsewhere in the universe but that doesn't mean we aren't the most technically advanced race.

I think it's vanishingly unlikely that we've been visited, but if there is other intelligent life in existence right now, we are even less likely to be the most advanced.

Our planet showed up in the last 4 billion years of the universe's 14 billion year lifetime, and we showed up only in the last 1 million years.

A species with even so much as a few centuries of lead time on us would be massively more advanced than us. Hell, we might not even have been the first intelligent species that showed up on this planet- 4 billion years is plenty of time to make a species like us and wipe the slate clean again a bunch of times.

Sure, but that doesn't change what Occam's Razor is.

Who wants to change it??

Aliens could be the most likely explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,676 ✭✭✭buried

Very cool. Love hearing about this sort of stuff when its from reliable sources like numerous air pilots. Whatever it was, these people definitely saw somethng they can't explain. Could be anything. Could be the fourth dimension breaking through some sort of time or energy slip. Very cool listening to the recordings

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Who wants to change it??

Aliens could be the most likely explanation.

I was replying to someone who said Occam's Razor is "not an absolute". It is an absolute, that's the point of it. You don't have to agree with applying it in any given situation, but it is what it is.

I was replying to someone who said Occam's Razor is "not an absolute". It is an absolute, that's the point of it. You don't have to agree with applying it in any given situation, but it is what it is.

It's not an absolute. Ridiculous.

The most likely solution is the most likely,nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

It was the Healy-Raes returning to their home planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

David Icke will like this

• Advertisement

It's not an absolute. Ridiculous.

Ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

"do you want a cup of tea?" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

It originated from solving problems (e.g. mathematical problems)

The idea is that the answer with the least amount of assumptions in working out an answer should be selected.

It does not mean that the selected answer is definitively correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭simonw

Granard is in Longford , that in itself is the explanation.

They turned around when they couldn't find signs of intelligent life

wexie wrote: »
    I think was can safely assume that if it was military it wasn't Irish.

That'd be less likely than aliens.

:D:D

I'd actually put it as slightly more likely - even its more likely that it was an independent Leitrim that send their new prototype X-255 Mach 2 rocket for a test spin .... oops I've said too much ....

simonw wrote: »
    Granard is in Longford , that in itself is the explanation.

They turned around when they couldn't find signs of intelligent life

https://youtu.be/RvXphcIaksk

buried wrote: »
    Very cool. Love hearing about this sort of stuff when its from reliable sources like numerous air pilots. Whatever it was, these people definitely saw somethng they can't explain. Could be anything. Could be the fourth dimension breaking through some sort of time or energy slip. Very cool listening to the recordings

Have you been reading Cixin Liu?
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭adocholiday

You saw it in Longford? In that case you're mistaken on it being aliens. I heard from a friend of a friend that 'one of the lads' was on a run with a load of unsold fireworks in his van that evening and hasn't been heard from since he left. All it would have taken was a poorly flicked cigarette butt and he would have gone full Pat Mustard in the phone box.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

wexie wrote: »
    not even remotely, I stated in my post that I don't think it's likely it was aliens, just curious as to what makes you sure it wasn't.

But I see you don't have much of an answer for me?

What do you think it was?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,676 ✭✭✭buried

Have you been reading Cixin Liu?
    :)

Ha! Too Sci-Fi hardcore for me Hec! Nice theory on 'the fourth dimension' in 'From Hell' by Alan Moore though, which I am currently fireside reading :)

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Advertisement