Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did anyone see this UFO last Friday

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

vicwatson wrote: »
    What do you think it was?

Don't know, if indeed there were changes in direction (as witnesses go I'd place pilots at the higher end of the reliability scale) it rules out pretty much any natural phenomena. So most likely some form of military craft.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

That fella David Moore from Astronomy Ireland was on Newstalk a few minutes ago saying it was just a meteor they saw.What gives him the right to totally denounce at least 3 experienced pilots as to what they saw.They have seen everything in the sky that there is to be seen.What kind of a meteor fly’s alongside a plane and then suddenly shoots straight UPWARDS.

I remember reading a story a few years ago about a lot of pilots who see strange stuff in the sky but never want to go on record because their jobs could be on the line especially if their bosses think they’re going a bit crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

buried wrote: »
    Very cool. Love hearing about this sort of stuff when its from reliable sources like numerous air pilots. Whatever it was, these people definitely saw somethng they can't explain. Could be anything. Could be the fourth dimension breaking through some sort of time or energy slip. Very cool listening to the recordings

I love this kind of stuff too. It's very exciting. I have never seen any UFOs and don't know what to think about aliens possibly existing, but my children and husband have seen unidentified flying objects, in some cases quite clearly. I usually don't have my glasses on when outside so it's all a Monet painting to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

buried wrote: »
    Ha! Too Sci-Fi hardcore for me Hec! Nice theory on 'the fourth dimension' in 'From Hell' by Alan Moore though, which I am currently fireside reading :)

Thanks for the recommendation ..

I posted this video before of a pilot giving an interview of his UFO sighting over Guernsey.Well worth a watch.

https://youtu.be/Uw_DNHEvwck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Strange there isn't a better description other than 'two bright lights', assuming it came alongside their plane.
    Was there not a mention of hue/colour/shape, or was it simple non-flashing white lights, in uniform pattern.

But interesting mention of bank right and climb at speed (Mach2 is 1534.54 mph in old money)

Wasn't there mention of red light aound Shannon area last month?
    https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video...k--Ireland.mp4

Saw a red light(s) behaving strangely (non-linear and extreme flash), but over on the East coast, few miles offshore about 2mths ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,640 ✭✭✭✭josip

I remember reading a story a few years ago about a lot of pilots who see strange stuff in the sky but never want to go on record because their jobs could be on the line especially if their bosses think they’re going a bit crazy.

Presumably from the same country that voted for Brexit (Virgin and BA pilots).
    They may not all be as sane as you'd like them to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

That fella David Moore from Astronomy Ireland was on Newstalk a few minutes ago saying it was just a meteor they saw.What gives him the right to totally denounce at least 3 experienced pilots as to what they saw.They have seen everything in the sky that there is to be seen.What kind of a meteor fly’s alongside a plane and then suddenly shoots straight UPWARDS.

Apparently vthere was a meteor shower on the night.
    The Astronomy bloke reackoned the meteors could have been coming directly towards the pilots or we're a long way off so direction wouldn't have been clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I think it's vanishingly unlikely that we've been visited, but if there is other intelligent life in existence right now, we are even less likely to be the most advanced.

Our planet showed up in the last 4 billion years of the universe's 14 billion year lifetime, and we showed up only in the last 1 million years.

A species with even so much as a few centuries of lead time on us would be massively more advanced than us. Hell, we might not even have been the first intelligent species that showed up on this planet- 4 billion years is plenty of time to make a species like us and wipe the slate clean again a bunch of times.

I find this sort of stuff fascinating, but don't want to think about the possibility of a close encounter anytime soon. The odds are not good that an advanced alien civilisation would want to help us on any level. Think it was Hawkings who said something like we would be like the native Indians and the Aliens would be like the westerners, but with super advanced weapons to just annihilate us.

I cant comprehend how we could be the most advanced civilisation in the universe. I cant comprehend how scientists think that the only conditions that can lead to advanced civilisations are that of what we have on earth. I presume that's a theory cause with infinite systems surely there is the potential for alternative methods of life being created . . (like the way the a moon of Jupiter may harness an eco system below the ice!).

Its actually crazy how little we factually know about even our own solar system. Future generations will look back on us and laugh heartily at our pathetic understanding of things like we mock flat earthers and the very idea that people thought earth was flat. .

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭oholly121

And I for one welcome our new alien overloads

• Advertisement

Strange there isn't a better description other than 'two bright lights', assuming it came alongside their plane.
    Was there not a mention of hue/colour/shape, or was it simple non-flashing white lights, in uniform pattern.

But interesting mention of bank right and climb at speed (Mach2 is 1534.54 mph in old money)

Wasn't there mention of red light aound Shannon area last month?
    https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video...k--Ireland.mp4

Saw a red light(s) behaving strangely (non-linear and extreme flash), but over on the East coast, few miles offshore about 2mths ago.

Better still,this sighting last Friday came the same week that the Harvard Scientists said that the Oumuamua object that passed through out Solar System could be an Alien craft. Coincidence or what.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

kneemos wrote: »
    Apparently vthere was a meteor shower on the night.
    The Astronomy bloke reackoned the meteors could have been coming directly towards the pilots or we're a long way off so direction wouldn't have been clear.

Taurid Meteor Shower

http://www.crystalwind.ca/eureka-amazing/cosmic-stargate-portal/cosmic-events-journal/taurid-meteor-shower#

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Drumpot wrote: »
    I find this sort of stuff fascinating, but don't want to think about the possibility of a close encounter anytime soon. The odds are not good that an advanced alien civilisation would want to help us on any level. Think it was Hawkings who said something like we would be like the native Indians and the Aliens would be like the westerners, but with super advanced weapons to just annihilate us.

I cant comprehend how we could be the most advanced civilisation in the universe. I cant comprehend how scientists think that the only conditions that can lead to advanced civilisations are that of what we have on earth. I presume that's a theory cause with infinite systems surely there is the potential for alternative methods of life being created . . (like the way the a moon of Jupiter may harness an eco system below the ice!).

Its actually crazy how little we factually know about even our own solar system. Future generations will look back on us and laugh heartily at our pathetic understanding of things like we mock flat earthers and the very idea that people thought earth was flat. .

Scientists don't think that. They are open to the possibility that life on non-Earth like planets can exist and evolve but they just don't know what that would look like as the only example we have currently of life in the Universe is Earth based lifeforms.

Only ignorant people from future generations will think that and laugh at us. Our current model of the workings of the Universe fits our findings and analysis. Sure there are stuff we don't yet know but it's very different from people spouting that the Earth is flat while ignoring all evidence against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Terrlock

I find it hard to believe that a meteor could stop mid air and then reverse.....It would be more likely it's a military drone. Not sure why they'd be testing something like that over here. Maybe it was surveying someone on the plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Terrlock wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe that a meteor could stop mid air and then reverse.....It would be more likely it's a military drone. Not sure why they'd be testing something like that over here. Maybe it was surveying someone on the plane.

Didn't see any reports of stopping or reversing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Ray Darcy talking about it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

ThunderCat wrote: »
    Scientists don't think that. They are open to the possibility that life on non-Earth like planets can exist and evolve but they just don't know what that would look like as the only example we have currently of life in the Universe is Earth based lifeforms.

Only ignorant people from future generations will think that and laugh at us. Our current model of the workings of the Universe fits our findings and analysis. Sure there are stuff we don't yet know but it's very different from people spouting that the Earth is flat while ignoring all evidence against it.

One of the common things said of science is that “it always corrects itself” which is a bit of an oxymoron when you think of it. It’s the best method we have of explaining our understanding of our environment but it’s missing a lot of the pieces.

But my point wasn’t to insult what we know, just put it into context. We really know f**k all about our universe and most of what we think we know is informed theory.

I was also thinking that it’s funny (not from a “look at those f**king idiots believing a flat earth”) reflecting on how our understanding of our world/universe changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Terrlock

kneemos wrote: »
    Didn't see any reports of stopping or reversing.

I was just referring to the original post.

then catch it stopping, reversing direction and flying off faster than a concorde.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Santa Claus test driving some new reindeer perhaps
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Better still,this sighting last Friday came the same week that the Harvard Scientists said that the Oumuamua object that passed through out Solar System could be an Alien craft. Coincidence or what.

Largely irrelevant, and highly speculative (compared to any earth based documented cases).

Actual recorded events such as this one, or perhaps the best known and best investigated (outside roswell) is the 'rendlesham forest' case are much more relevant.

From memory that also involved red lights/orbs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

Oh ****. The First Order have found Luke hiding on the Skelligs. Damn you Discover Ireland! Damn you to hell!!!!

And in all seriousness a quick look at the stats on the number of galaxies in the universe and the number of stars per galaxy and number of planets etc makes it almost a mathematical certainly that we are not the only intelligent life in the universe. We are talking about numbers akin to all the grains of sand on all the beaches in the world. The numbers are just so vast it has to be no matter how low a probability you apply to it. However it is that very vastness of numbers in the universe that makes it so unlikely that we will ever encounter an alien. Light arriving to us from some of the stars left millions of years ago and they are the ones we can see with the naked eye. We don't have the technology to travel at light speed and if some alien race did develop it the max they could go is light speed. Even if they live in our local region of the universe a spectral analysis of the light they are getting from the earth around now probably shows them gas from dinosaur farts. Further away and someone looking at us just sees a solar system that still hasn't formed. The likelyhood of us making contact with aliens is akin to a bacteria cureently on a grain of sand in Kerry making contact in the next 5 minutes with a fellow bacteria currently on a grain of sand in Sydney. It might be possible in some far out astrophysical theory paper about bending space and time but not with the current intelligence or technology of the two bacteria. If somehow some alien race beat all the odds and by technoligical and evolutionary means way beyond our comprehension made it here they wouldn't decide to check out the ring of Kerry.

It was a spy plane. Someone was somewhere they shouldn't have been, probably on a training mission in a scenario real enough that they needed to hide but still knew they wouldn't be shot at if the trainee failed & they were discovered. And it was probably someone who claims to be one of our allies or partners. There was nothing more sinister because once again no one is going to send a spy plane on a real mission over Kerry when hundreds of tourists post thousands photos of the place on Instagram every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Drumpot wrote: »
    One of the common things said of science is that “it always corrects itself” which is a bit of an oxymoron when you think of it. It’s the best method we have of explaining our understanding of our environment but it’s missing a lot of the pieces.

But my point wasn’t to insult what we know, just put it into context. We really know f**k all about our universe and most of what we think we know is informed theory.

I was also thinking that it’s funny (not from a “look at those f**king idiots believing a flat earth”) reflecting on how our understanding of our world/universe changes.

We know a fair amount about the universe in fact.

And scientists don’t believe what you claim they believe.

Nor did educated people believe in a flat earth in the Middle Ages.

(As for the ufo sighting - the video was a balloon.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Terrlock wrote: »

Surveying the Healy Rae’s. Looking for intelligent life in kilgarvan.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Possibly an alien spacecraft ? - based on pure conjecture, really like saying there could "possibly be an intelligent race in the alpha centauri star system".

It's based on nothing.

https://twitter.com/AntonioParis/status/1059790821531246593

Here’s the thing.
    I’ll put my hands up and say I nor I guess anyone else can’t prove it was an alien spacecraft.

I’ll opem the floor for you or anyone to prove 100% it wasn’t ??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

_Brian wrote: »
    Here’s the thing.
    I’ll put my hands up and say I nor I guess anyone else can’t prove it was an alien spacecraft.

I’ll opem the floor for you or anyone to prove 100% it wasn’t ??

Prove 100% it wasn't a 500 meter long dildo banana.

Also:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell%27s_teapot

This lousy logic and not any kind of argument for aliens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

touts wrote: »
    Oh ****. The First Order have found Luke hiding on the Skelligs. Damn you Discover Ireland! Damn you to hell!!!!

And in all seriousness a quick look at the stats on the number of galaxies in the universe and the number of stars per galaxy and number of planets etc makes it almost a mathematical certainly that we are not the only intelligent life in the universe. We are talking about numbers akin to all the grains of sand on all the beaches in the world. The numbers are just so vast it has to be no matter how low a probability you apply to it. However it is that very vastness of numbers in the universe that makes it so unlikely that we will ever encounter an alien. Light arriving to us from some of the stars left millions of years ago and they are the ones we can see with the naked eye. We don't have the technology to travel at light speed and if some alien race did develop it the max they could go is light speed. Even if they live in our local region of the universe a spectral analysis of the light they are getting from the earth around now probably shows them gas from dinosaur farts. Further away and someone looking at us just sees a solar system that still hasn't formed. The likelyhood of us making contact with aliens is akin to a bacteria cureently on a grain of sand in Kerry making contact in the next 5 minutes with a fellow bacteria currently on a grain of sand in Sydney. It might be possible in some far out astrophysical theory paper about bending space and time but not with the current intelligence or technology of the two bacteria. If somehow some alien race beat all the odds and by technoligical and evolutionary means way beyond our comprehension made it here they wouldn't decide to check out the ring of Kerry.

It was a spy plane. Someone was somewhere they shouldn't have been, probably on a training mission in a scenario real enough that they needed to hide but still knew they wouldn't be shot at if the trainee failed & they were discovered. And it was probably someone who claims to be one of our allies or partners. There was nothing more sinister because once again no one is going to send a spy plane on a real mission over Kerry when hundreds of tourists post thousands photos of the place on Instagram every day.

Someone should tell NASA to stop wasting there time and money, this chap has the whole universe and alien mindset figured out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I saw something similar last Thursday at 5pm. I was waiting on my daughter and watched this bright coloured object fly in a NW direction from Letterkenny. I was at the Mountain Top area and so had a clear view of it as it came from letterkenny and as it flew towards Muckish mountain direction. It was flying too fast to be a drone and it wasn't high enough to be a plane as it was flying below rain cloud level. Size wise, it wasn't very big but much bigger than the average drone. I watched it till it disappeared from my sight. I have no idea what it was but I do know it wasn't a plane/aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Longford , Roscommon , surely Leitrim next or Cavan , yeah definitely Cavan.

Why would aliens bother flying over those kips?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Id love to think it was sean gallagher leaving our atmosphere but too much to ask i suppose.

So...aliens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

wexie wrote: »
    Anal probing dude, anal probing and cattle mutilation

I don't know, there's some tough competition there already.

Advertisement