Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment Stage 4 (2018 Campaign)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Hearns2017

Anyone know if there's a particular dress code for the medical?? Also do we know on the day if we have passed or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭bottar1

Hearns2017 wrote: »
    Anyone know if there's a particular dress code for the medical?? Also do we know on the day if we have passed or not?

No dress code. I wore pretty casual clothing.

Yes, you will know if you passed or failed, or were deferred, (for example given time to get laser eye surgery, etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Uweir32

Does anyone know if an email from a GP saying your injured be enough to have the PCT deferred ?
    I have tried to get a sick line from my private doctor but they don’t provide them and I know my own GP was so useless during the last phase and wouldn’t tough my GP form for insurance reasons - they’re the least helpful GPs ever apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 14 EL11

Uweir32 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if an email from a GP saying your injured be enough to have the PCT deferred ?
    I have tried to get a sick line from my private doctor but they don’t provide them and I know my own GP was so useless during the last phase and wouldn’t tough my GP form for insurance reasons - they’re the least helpful GPs ever apparently

Just ring them and explain mate. They'll defer it for you no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 SHIELDSRED

Gadaves wrote: »
    Just a quick question about deferring the pct I got an email today getting called for Friday the 15th, just wondering is it much hassle to push it back a week or will they only accept a doctor's note?

I think if u defer it will be up to them to call you back. Could be 3 months.. and yeah you need a doctor's cert in order to defer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭FIVE.0

SHIELDSRED wrote: »
    I think if u defer it will be up to them to call you back. Could be 3 months.. and yeah you need a doctor's cert in order to defer.

Yea I’m pretty sure you need another cert to say you are ok after your illness to participate in the PCT. If your sick I can’t see why your GP wouldn’t give you a cert?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 mright123

Got a call from HQ this afternoon offering me a cancellation spot for the PCT. I jumped at it so I've got my date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭CZ 453

mright123 wrote: »
    Got a call from HQ this afternoon offering me a cancellation spot for the PCT. I jumped at it so I've got my date.

Good stuff. Are you high in the 2018 OOM?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Mmk123

Where is the medical at, Dublin?

CZ 453 wrote: »
    Good stuff. Are you high in the 2018 OOM?

I'm glad to get it now as I have all of the interviews done so it's just the PCT and Medical for me and I'm done. My OOM is around 420. Where about's are you in the campaign?

• Advertisement

I'm glad to get it now as I have all of the interviews done so it's just the PCT and Medical for me and I'm done. My OOM is around 420. Where about's are you in the campaign?

700. So good to know where they are at. Best of luck with both.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 G1raff3

CZ 453 wrote:

I'm around the 50 mark and still waiting on pct, all local interviews done. Its somewhat random

Cheers, hope you get word soon.

Can someone please answer this for me. See during the Fitness test, is there much recovery time for candidates between assessments. So for example, after you complete the Shuttle running do they give candidates much time to recover before going straight into the push ups and sit ups? I am aware that there is a 2-hour break between Stage 1 and Stage 2 of the fitness test. Just want to know so I can try and be conservative with my stamina during it.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

Can someone please answer this for me. See during the Fitness test, is there much recovery time for candidates between assessments. So for example, after you complete the Shuttle running do they give candidates much time to recover before going straight into the push ups and sit ups? I am aware that there is a 2-hour break between Stage 1 and Stage 2 of the fitness test. Just want to know so I can try and be conservative with my stamina during it.

10 or so minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭FIVE.0

10-15 minutes rest between bleep test and push-ups/sit ups.
    No rest between obstacle and push/pull - just straight up onto the machine, it’s tight going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭RabbitHeart18

FIVE.0 wrote: »
    10-15 minutes rest between bleep test and push-ups/sit ups.
    No rest between obstacle and push/pull - just straight up onto the machine, it’s tight going.

I wouldn't bank on the 10-15 after beep test either, I was in the last group and we were nearly straight in to do it. You have at least 2 hours between stage 1 and 2 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Carles Puyol

I wouldn't bank on the 10-15 after beep test either, I was in the last group and we were nearly straight in to do it. You have at least 2 hours between stage 1 and 2 though.

I'm assuming we're grouped by age & gender? So we're all finishing at the same time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭RabbitHeart18

I'm assuming we're grouped by age & gender? So we're all finishing at the same time?

Oh no that would be too organised! Just random groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 userunkown

No it's not. Everyone just mixed in and people finishing at different times and stages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 EL11

So I've my PCT the 12th. Feeling pretty confident but just a couple of questions for those who've done it already...

1) How big a role did adrenaline/nerves play for ye on the day? Seem to remember one of the instructors on the open day saying it will actually help and you'll find some things easier than you thought you would.

And 2) I know we check in at 9, but what time do the tests actually start? Just wondering with regard to eating that morning etc.

Thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭paddyCPW

EL11 wrote: »
    So I've my PCT the 12th. Feeling pretty confident but just a couple of questions for those who've done it already...

1) How big a role did adrenaline/nerves play for ye on the day? Seem to remember one of the instructors on the open day saying it will actually help and you'll find some things easier than you thought you would.

And 2) I know we check in at 9, but what time do the tests actually start? Just wondering with regard to eating that morning etc.

Thanks guys!

Adrenaline does kick in and definitely helped me! For the bleep my advice would be don’t give up, it’s all mental. PCT will start closer to 10am and depending on the group your in, it may be slightly after 10

See for the fitness test, are they relatively strict in terms of form for the press-ups section? So for example, I am male and when I go to do the press ups section, is my upper body/ chest allowed to touch or rest on the ground? Or is this something that they warn you or penalize you over this?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

See for the fitness test, are they relatively strict in terms of form for the press-ups section? So for example, I am male and when I go to do the press ups section, is my upper body/ chest allowed to touch or rest on the ground? Or is this something that they warn you or penalize you over this?

That's an instant fail. You can rest in the arms fully extended position.

Edit: Don't need to go lower than arms at a 90 degree angle/fist between you and the ground.

If my arms were bent 90 degrees my belly would touch the floor. Surely 90 degrees wouldn't apply there?

Elliot192 wrote: »
    That's an instant fail. You can rest in the arms fully extended position.

Edit: Don't need to go lower than arms at a 90 degree angle/fist between you and the ground.

Cheers for the reply man, I wasn't sure at all. My P.T insisted that I had to have my hips, chest, and chin touch the floor at each rep so I took it at that, but I saw on the Fitness video that the man was doing it differently to me.
    Just to clarify though if I wanted to even change my hand grip during the push-up section and lay on my chest for barely a second, I'd be failed for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,562 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Yes you will be, you can change your stance without laying down, just scooch your hand as you come up.

I don't think I've ever heard of someone hips touching the ground in a push up, I'd advise against doing that on the day as they may interpret that as you resting or giving up. They want you in a straight line from heel to head, if you're touching your hips down you're not straight,you're doing the worm..not push ups.

If your hips are touching you may be doing one of these;

HIPSAG.gif?itok=N2Y4AMD8
    WRISTSNOTSTACKED.gif?itok=7UMKjXSo

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

If my arms were bent 90 degrees my belly would touch the floor. Surely 90 degrees wouldn't apply there?

Engage your core!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 andrewkiely

PCT on the 29th, anyone else that day ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 G1raff3

PCT on the 29th, anyone else that day ??

Yea i'll be there too, just got the mail a couple hours ago. Best of luck!

Advertisement