Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment Stage 4 (2018 Campaign)

Options
1363738394042»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Uweir32

Gerty123 wrote: »
    I had an operation on my back about 18months ago. Do you know if this will come up during my medical on Wednesday. Thanks.[/quote

Hi, I attended the medical in June. I was 6 months post major back surgery. It came up in my medical. The doctor said that I had to be a year lost operation to pass me. My medical was deferred to January and I have to bring an updated medical report from my consultant. I'd say it will come up but if you have no pain and are fit to do the physical training in Templemore, you should pass.

I wonder do you have to be 6 months past all surgery? I had my gallbladder removed in July. Although that was only keyhole so maybe not as serious

• Registered Users Posts: 15 xXxshoshxXx

Shaneoohh wrote: »
    Just hope it’s not April or later

Was reading on another thread that it’s been April the past 3 years . Hate the waiting around. Just purchased career service stage 1 and determined to get a good OOM this time

• Registered Users Posts: 15 xXxshoshxXx

Shaneoohh wrote: »
    Just hope it’s not April or later

Was reading on another thread that it’s been April the past 3 years . Hate the waiting around. Just purchased career service stage 1 and determined to get a good OOM this time

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Shaneoohh

Does anyone know the exact eye test they do, is it a straight fail if you are colour blind or does it depend on the severity of colour blindness.

Has anyone ever appealed for PCT?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Jahcork

Sorry to hear about that you failed the fitness test, maybe reapply again I heard there is a recruitment in May 2020?

Jahcork wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about that you failed the fitness test, maybe reapply again I heard there is a recruitment in May 2020?

Yeah think I will

• Registered Users Posts: 31 deniseecath

Hi all, I'm part of the 2018 campaign and was OOM 91. I didn't pass my first fitness in April 2019 due to the push-pull machine, but I passed it with flying colours in July 2019. Then had my medical in the first week of August and flew through that. I've had my local meeting with the superintendent done for months.
    But every time I email HRM to ask about my file, I'm told time and time again that I'm still undergoing vetting, or that my file is "out undergoing the vetting process". I have never lived abroad, never been in any form of trouble with authorities, never even had a three-month erasmus to the EU with university. None of my relations listed in Form B live abroad either; everyone is within a 50-mile radius of where I currently live.
    It's all just a bit frustrating when I read of people from the 2019 campaign who have lived in another country and/or have relatives in another country whose vetting has flown by in only a fraction of the time mine seems to be taking.
    I'm currently in retail for my twelfth year and itching to finally start a career with the gardaí after failing my first campaign. It's been a long road to get to the fitness I want and I feel like I'm stagnating as the weeks roll on. I've been emailing HRM every two weeks to ask about my file and to ask if there's any issue with it - I just keep getting the generic 'your file is out for vetting' and that 'every file is vetted on an individual basis with no set completion time'.
    Does anyone have any advice or in similar circumstances?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 lg.cardonha

Hi all, I'm part of the 2018 campaign and was OOM 91. I didn't pass my first fitness in April 2019 due to the push-pull machine, but I passed it with flying colours in July 2019. Then had my medical in the first week of August and flew through that. I've had my local meeting with the superintendent done for months.
    But every time I email HRM to ask about my file, I'm told time and time again that I'm still undergoing vetting, or that my file is "out undergoing the vetting process". I have never lived abroad, never been in any form of trouble with authorities, never even had a three-month erasmus to the EU with university. None of my relations listed in Form B live abroad either; everyone is within a 50-mile radius of where I currently live.
    It's all just a bit frustrating when I read of people from the 2019 campaign who have lived in another country and/or have relatives in another country whose vetting has flown by in only a fraction of the time mine seems to be taking.
    I'm currently in retail for my twelfth year and itching to finally start a career with the gardaí after failing my first campaign. It's been a long road to get to the fitness I want and I feel like I'm stagnating as the weeks roll on. I've been emailing HRM every two weeks to ask about my file and to ask if there's any issue with it - I just keep getting the generic 'your file is out for vetting' and that 'every file is vetted on an individual basis with no set completion time'.

Maybe politics is the answer for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Harveli18

I am in the exact same situation as you. I'm from the 2018 campaign oom 170 ish. I failed the fitness test in February but passed it in may and everything has been completed since June. Like yourself I don't have any family abroad nor have I ever lived abroad. I keep getting the exact same reply as you when I email them. I've asked whether there is a problem and i just get them same response about my file undergoing vetting and that they will be in contact in due course. I am getting so frustrated as I thought that I would have received an offer ages ago!! I feel your pain!!

• Advertisement

I think I must have annoyed HRM enough.

I emailed on the 9th of January and was told my file was still undergoing vetting. So I emailed again today just to see and was met with a reply "We acknowledge your email and will be in touch in due course." Suffice to say, that didn't answer my initial query, so I replied asking them if my file was still undergoing vetting. That was at 15.10 today and by 15.58 HRM emailed me and offered me induction at Templemore on the 20th of January.

I accepted and rang my boss to explain my short notice right away. But I'm lucky enough in my current employment that they understand; they knew this was coming down the pipeline at some stage.

So for anyone still waiting, I literally just kept emailing HRM every two-ish weeks until they got fed up with me!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Elephant04

I think I musty have annoyed HRM enough.

I emailed on the 9th of January and was told my file was still undergoing vetting. So I emailed again today just to see and was met with a reply "We acknowledge your email and will be in touch in due course." Suffice to say, that didn't answer my initial query, so I replied asking them if my file was still undergoing vetting. That was at 15.10 today and by 15.58 HRM emailed me and offered me induction at Templemore on the 20th of January.

I accepted and rang my boss to explain my short notice right away. But I'm lucky enough in my current employment that they understand; they knew this was coming down the pipeline at some stage.

So for anyone still waiting, I literally just kept emailing HRM every two-ish weeks until they got fed up with me!

That's brilliant! Congratulations!
    I've completed pct (failed on push and pull machine at first too :)) and medical around the same time like you and also kept calling them nearly every two weeks to see about vetting...got the offer for 20th too

• Registered Users Posts: 36 lg.cardonha

I think I must have annoyed HRM enough.

what was your oom?

what was your oom?

OOM 91 in the 2018 campaign.
    But I was told word-for-word from HRM that the OOM is only used in the first three stages. From then on it's irrelevant unless it comes down to extraordinary circumstances such as choosing between two candidates for one space.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AD07

Anyone know how to appeal PCT?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,472 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

AD07 wrote: »
    Anyone know how to appeal PCT?

There aren't really any grounds to appeal it unless the PCT was carried out differently in your case in comparison to others there.

If it's on health grounds etc. You sign the sheet beforehand to say you're fit and able, that wouldn't be entertained.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AD07

Witcher wrote: »
    There aren't really any grounds to appeal it unless the PCT was carried out differently in your case in comparison to others there.

If it's on health grounds etc. You sign the sheet beforehand to say you're fit and able, that wouldn't be entertained.

What about only getting 6 weeks notice to do the test when told it would be 12 weeks or have you any idea would that be a valid reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,472 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

What about only getting 6 weeks notice to do the test when told it would be 12 weeks or have you any idea would that be a valid reason?

Hmm could be...if others got 12 and you got 6 then you may have some grounds there.

I'd contact HRM on it and ask how to appeal, would be worth a go anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭ClaireMcGrath

I'm not sure whether that would suffice or not. I originally applied in the 2017 - I ended up failing the PCT first time (beep test and push/pull). I must have fallen through the paperwork cracks because by the time they had called me to do the PCT retest it had been more than 12 months since I'd completed a medical (seven-ish months after the PCT itstelf) and I was given around two weeks notice of it. I was told that I could not change this date as it was my PCT retest.

I also told them that I had suffered a fall in work that had me certed out for 3 weeks (slipped on a wet floor). I explained this to the college and explained that it had been more than 12 months since I'd had my medical with the chief medical officer in Dublin. They told me it was still fine.

I went ahead and did the retest and ended up failing the beep test by about 2 or 3 runs of my level. One of the instructors pulled me aside and told me to appeal given the fact that they'd forgotten about me for so long and I technically didn't have a medical done within the 12 months, and I'd verbally told them that I'd doubted my own capability to do it given I'd been certed out of work etc.

The instructor stressed that you have grounds for an appeal if you feel you have been treated unfairly - or if you were ill that day (ie. get a letter from you GP afterwards that states you have flu/virus/vomiting bug etc that may have affected your performance on that day).

I wrote the letter when I got home detailing how I felt I had grounds for appeal as I had been essentially forgotten about for more than 6 months which made keeping up my training extremely hard. Along with my medical being out of date, my lack of notice for the PCT retest and the language used in the email made me feel that I had no choice but to show up even though my medical was not in date. Coupled with my fall in work I was surprised that I was not asked to see my own GP for a clearance form when I had clearly stated this before showing up at the college.

Long story short, I got an email back a week later from HRM telling me that they were 'reviewing' the appeal process and at the moment my appeal didn't meet the grounds required for appeal.

.... if all that didn't meet grounds for appeal, I'm not sure what will. But go ahead, write your email and send a printed letter too. Just maybe go with that you feel you were treated unfairly as the lack of notice made it difficult to attend the PCT and the language of the email/response you received put you under duress as you felt you would be excluded from the campaign if you did not do it and that you feel very strongly that if you were given a date further away you would have had more time to personally prepare for the PCT.

Just be aware that the notice time for appeal PCTs can be as little as a week or up to 12 weeks, hope that's helpful :)

Advertisement