Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Inviere wrote: »
    ^^ I was expecting to read that the laptop had dropped down onto one of the Candy's, smashing through the screen, into the bottom of the cab, smashing the psu, causing an electrical short, sparking a small fire that had to be put out with a fire blanket. That'd would've been more in line with an o1s1n destruction-story :o

And that it took the footman and the lady who cleans the brass about the house a few minutes to bring the blaze under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Being doing a bit of retro pc gaming recently, which involved building a bunch of retro PC's :) Kinda started a few months ago when I was donated an old K6 Compaq PC and has led to a few custom builds and a heap of PCI cards !!

Spending a lot of time on this one, its a Pentium 120 with 64MB running DOS 6.2. Also added a Voodoo 3DFX accelerator and a Soundblaster AWE64. Boots off a CF card so pretty fast (the hard disk isn't used much).
    Obviously is perfect for DOS gaming, have lots of point 'n click stuff on it and all the classic FPS's and have 3dFX patches installed where available.

Dark Forces is fecking awesome :D

Stripping the power supply to paint it and cutting the harness down to the exact size was probably overkill but looks nice :)
    48243787391_5aff76b5a2_c.jpg

Next one is a Win98 setup, the K6 was a bit slow so using an AMD 754 motherboard with 1.8Ghz Sempron with 512MB which runs along nicely !! (Win98 has problems with cpus faster than 2GHz). Using a Geforce 4 and SB Live card which are about the best performance wise supported by Win98.
    Surprising about of recent patches available for Win98 including USB mass storage support which helps a lot !! Not modded the power supply on this one yet but probably will..

48243787876_651984e8ca_c.jpg

Those open frame motherboard supports are a bit pricey but soooooo handy..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Being doing a bit of retro pc gaming recently, which involved building a bunch of retro PC's :) Kinda started a few months ago when I was donated an old K6 Compaq PC and has led to a few custom builds and a heap of PCI cards !!

Spending a lot of time on this one, its a Pentium 120 with 64MB running DOS 6.2. Also added a Voodoo 3DFX accelerator and a Soundblaster AWE64. Boots off a CF card so pretty fast (the hard disk isn't used much).
    Obviously is perfect for DOS gaming, have lots of point 'n click stuff on it and all the classic FPS's and have 3dFX patches installed where available.

Dark Forces is fecking awesome :D

Stripping the power supply to paint it and cutting the harness down to the exact size was probably overkill but looks nice :)
    48243787391_5aff76b5a2_c.jpg

Next one is a Win98 setup, the K6 was a bit slow so using an AMD 754 motherboard with 1.8Ghz Sempron with 512MB which runs along nicely !! (Win98 has problems with cpus faster than 2GHz). Using a Geforce 4 and SB Live card which are about the best performance wise supported by Win98.
    Surprising about of recent patches available for Win98 including USB mass storage support which helps a lot !! Not modded the power supply on this one yet but probably will..

48243787876_651984e8ca_c.jpg

Those open frame motherboard supports are a bit pricey but soooooo handy..
    there was a( totally illegal obv) " ultimate 98" image out there which has all the patches and some extra QoL stuff installed..same with Xp too ( XP Black edition I think) ..handy for retro PC rigs .

I'm using a stock Win98 SE install with unofficial SP3 patches - must look for that image, Win98 is a bit tedious with adding drivers and stuff. Slipstreaming stuff into XP is so much handier !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Looks great, would be interested in doing something similar.
    Perspex clear case would be cool.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So, in short, you are building PC Hotrods now....

Way to carve a niche for yourself Bandit!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Those are really cool looking.

Went through some retro pc gaming recently myself.

I started downloading the fan mods for the old school FPS games. Some of them a really amazing. Finished quake 2 a few weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 7,526 ✭✭✭Inviere

Super Mario 64 has been decompiled somehow - https://gbatemp.net/threads/super-mario-64-has-been-decompiled.542918/

Expect source ports to everything and anything before long!

Nintendo lawyers are going to be busy......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Had to collect a parcel from the post office. A PSP game and an NTSC PS1 game, even being packed well, would have absolutely fit through the door...

10 days shipping from Japan, not bad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Had to collect a parcel from the post office. A PSP game and an NTSC PS1 game, even being packed well, would have absolutely fit through the door...

10 days shipping from Japan, not bad!

Whenever I get over to Japan it'll probably bankrupt me :p

Is there much interest in common neo geo mvs games, the likes of puzzle bobble etc?

Hammering out a deal and I'd rather not leave stuff behind if others would want it. The thing is, obviously, I'm not gonna go outta my way to lose money. But I'll pick up stuff at cost.

Example:puzzle bobble at 20 quid, would anyone be arsed, higher/lower?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭Jack burton

beejee wrote: »
    Is there much interest in common neo geo mvs games, the likes of puzzle bobble etc?

Hammering out a deal and I'd rather not leave stuff behind if others would want it. The thing is, obviously, I'm not gonna go outta my way to lose money. But I'll pick up stuff at cost.

I'd say depends on the game. Puzzle bobble wouldn't menmy taste but I love the Metal Slugs and a lot of the common ones.

Can't beat a good multislot neo geo cab!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Id probably be interested in a few, i dont have any MVS games

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,907 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That's a very good price for puzzle bobble and there will always be a taker. Lots of repros out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,581 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Yeah it depends if it's a boot or not, most seem to be so if it's an original it'll go for a few quid more.

No bootylicious stuff here. Depending on deal I might just get everything. Already got a few messages for multislots and stuff, let's see how it goes :)

Take it all, you’ll always get rid of mvs carts even boots of common will go on adverts if not here..

• Registered Users Posts: 34,581 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

No bootylicious stuff here.

I will now forever associate MVS boots with Beyonce.

'If you like it you should have put a Toshiba 8901EAI on it..'

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

Puzzle bubble is so under priced what a game!
    I got 15 Carts one day off a lad in Clare. threw em all in for Free or a 10e each, just coz it was my birthday. 4 cabs 15 Carts and 8 MVS 1 slots. 600e delivered. result

• Advertisement

kevin2me wrote: »
    I got 15 Carts one day off a lad in Clare. threw em all in for Free or a 10e each, just coz it was my birthday. 4 cabs 15 Carts and 8 MVS 1 slots. 600e delivered. result

Those were the good ol days your talking about now kev lol first Astro was 450€ from Ronnie, whats he selling them for now?

Those were the good ol days your talking about now kev lol first Astro was 450€ from Ronnie, whats he selling them for now?

450e cabs from ronnie 😀 sweet, ronnie YOUVE CHANGED mate 😀

We are just old Mozie! PS new room u have is unreal. fab unique setup. Enjoy bud

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Who was this lad? I'd like to know.

Who was this lad? I'd like to know.

Really nice lad you was a distributor for cabs around the area or Ireland. His name was Kevin, he was retired And His wife wanted the shed cleared out. Sound lad.

My only regret was I didnt take a gorgeous Jukebox of him. it was big but classy looking. It been a favourite piece to have now, but it's long gone to a good home I'd hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Really nice lad you was a distributor for cabs around the area or Ireland. His name was Kevin, he was retired And His wife wanted the shed cleared out. Sound lad.

My only regret was I didnt take a gorgeous Jukebox of him. it was big but classy looking. It been a favourite piece to have now, but it's long gone to a good home I'd hope.
    So it would be too late for me to ask if he has anything to spare then?

So it would be too late for me to ask if he has anything to spare then?

About 7 years too late mate, that was his going out of business Sale 😀 Got 4 good cabs off him.

Operation Wolf (sold)
    Virtua Striker (sold)
    Mace which (recently got turned into a sweet MK cab by a boardie)

My first of 6 naomi cabs since. might move one on and this one lately got parted out and is a project cab I might move on soon too.

Fun times

Colombus Circle are doing their own run of Ultracore for Mega Drive, available on Play-Asia. Price seems to be 5980 yen (€49) excluding shipping.
    The Box-art is subjectively nicer than what was available on Strictly Limited Games, but the game is region locked to JAP consoles so you'll need some way of bypassing that restriction if you're considering picking up this version.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,526 ✭✭✭Inviere

but the game is region locked

What on earth are they doing that for? The only reason I can think of is that running in 50Hz breaks it.

Inviere wrote: »
    What on earth are they doing that for? The only reason I can think of is that running in 50Hz breaks it.
    I have no idea, even the cart they're using has the notch taken out from the side for region compatibility, making it even stranger.
    It'll be interesting to see a comparison of the different versions once they're all shipped out at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Corholio wrote: »
    Konami's 'big' announcement was.......

A Turbografx Mini!

Also a PC Engine mini and PC Engine Core Grafx mini.

https://twitter.com/RetroDomination/status/1138606135311601664?ref_src=twcamp%5Ecopy%7Ctwsrc%5Eandroid%7Ctwgr%5Ecopy%7Ctwcon%5E7090%7Ctwterm%5E3

Core Grafx up on Amazon UK for Prime Members.

Not exactly cheap at 100 sterling and a long way till release, so not sure what the big hullabaloo is over Amazon exclusivity right now (Prime at that) as I don't think it'll be excess sales that limit availability, but rather production numbers in for certain regions.
    Still.....an option for those who want the Engine with a compatible modern output rather than going real.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Konami-Bethesda201985-Engine-CoreGrafx-Mini/dp/B07SLM7N9J/ref=sr_1_3?crid=EPFCB759XZN2&keywords=pc+engine+mini&qid=1563184238&s=gateway&sprefix=Pc+eng%2Caps%2C165&sr=8-3

Advertisement