Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

McDermotX wrote: »
    Core Grafx up on Amazon UK for Prime Members.

Not exactly cheap at 100 sterling and a long way till release, so not sure what the big hullabaloo is over Amazon exclusivity right now (Prime at that) as I don't think it'll be excess sales that limit availability, but rather production numbers in for certain regions.
    Still.....an option for those who want the Engine with a compatible modern output rather than going real.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Konami-Bethesda201985-Engine-CoreGrafx-Mini/dp/B07SLM7N9J/ref=sr_1_3?crid=EPFCB759XZN2&keywords=pc+engine+mini&qid=1563184238&s=gateway&sprefix=Pc+eng%2Caps%2C165&sr=8-3

There is only a Prime exclusive ordering period for Prime day, but I was able to order one without issue despite not being a Prime member.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Aye......Don't think there'd be too huge a rush on them.
    Even the vanilla PC Engine is available on Amazon Japan the last couple days. Though Prime members order a Prime Day Commemorative version whereas normal orders get the basic one - doubt that's the case in other regions and FWIW, it's probably a sticker or something.

This early, I'd wonder if Konami are still gauging interest before committing shipment numbers. Amazon advert might be an indicator for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

PlayStation Classic is up on Amazon for £16 as a lightning prime day deal. It looks like it'll have to be a Parcel Motel delivery though.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PlayStation-9980094-Sony-Classic-Console/dp/B071G84NHX

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Is the PlayStation classic worth getting? I haven't been keeping up with the news about it but can it be modded to run games at ntsc speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Is the PlayStation classic worth getting? I haven't been keeping up with the news about it but can it be modded to run games at ntsc speed?

I like to know that too, mine is still sitting in the GameStop bag from when they were 30 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,910 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Out of the box it's worthless thrash. Not sure if you can make things better modding it but the on board emulation is awful. You'd be buying it to mod it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,526 ✭✭✭Inviere

I'd go Pi4 at this stage if I were you, once the software is tuned for the Pi4 that is

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,910 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Actually really impressed with the tg16 mini line up. Some amazing games there and parity with Japanese release. We lose tokimeki but get salamander instead whish is a better deal. M2 emulation as well I think.

Speakin of m2. They announced they are working on a Aleste game. Hopefully this the the project the radiant silvergun producer has been trying to get off the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Actually really impressed with the tg16 mini line up. Some amazing games there and parity with Japanese release. We lose tokimeki but get salamander instead whish is a better deal. M2 emulation as well I think.

Speakin of m2. They announced they are working on a Aleste game. Hopefully this the the project the radiant silvergun producer has been trying to get off the ground.
    Them just shoving in 26 games with no English translation is probably the most new-Konami thing I've seen yet. "Oh, here's some games, just don't expect us to teach you Japanese for them." Like...how am I supposed to enjoy Snatcher if I can't read the text? And Rondo of Blood, you won't give us the option to play the version with an English dub and translation? I mean, I appreciate that these games are coming out here at all, but...you know...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭Doge

Not even boards is safe from these memes! ;)

485373.jpeg

• Advertisement

I really can't wait to see what happens

Streets of Rage 4 composers are announced and there's everything to be happy about:

https://metro.co.uk/2019/07/17/streets-rage-4-music-features-original-mega-drive-composers-10394644/

• Registered Users Posts: 34,581 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Streets of Rage 4 composers are announced and there's everything to be happy about:

https://metro.co.uk/2019/07/17/streets-rage-4-music-features-original-mega-drive-composers-10394644/

I saw that alright! My lack of interest in this game has suddenly done an about face turn.

At the very least we'll get a great soundtrack!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Bought a Playstation Classic out of GameStop about two weeks ago for 40 euro. 100% worth it imho. The emulation scene around it is well into it's groove by now, Autobleem and Bleemsync are the dominant methods of emulation.

Autobleem is ridiculously simple to install onto a USB (though the correct USB to get can be tricky - up to 32 GB is fine, after that, say 64 GB, you'll want to check compatibility guides), and once you download NTSC copies of games to get 60hz you are grand. That said, I've never been totally sure that even with Autobleem and the NTSC copies, you are getting the best possible emulation.

This video explains in detail the the framerate issues because of the open source emulator originally used but I don't know enough to say with Autobleem (which I used) corrects all this. I will say, from my experience, and using the NTSC copies, I didn't notice anything, appeared to be perfect operation, but that said Ridge Racer 4 is NTSC, comes in the original game lineup and there appears to be problems as mentioned in the video. The video is from last Christmas tho.

RetroArch is also available for the machine and lets you play pretty much anything up until the PSX itself (anything after, N64 for instance? you may get slowdown).

If anything else, for the USB PSX controllers, it's worth it.

It was down to about £20 on prime day also I think. only for prime users though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I'll leave this utter insanity here, a huge retro computer store and warehouse in Texas being explored Indiana Jones style

https://youtu.be/rvM82T3C2Ik

• Registered Users Posts: 7,526 ✭✭✭Inviere

I'll leave this utter insanity here, a huge retro computer store and warehouse in Texas being explored Indiana Jones style

https://youtu.be/rvM82T3C2Ik

19:49 - very very familiar looking thing, I think we had those in the school's computer room in the early 90's

Would they be the BBC Micros that schools got free from Quinnsworth?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Got a nice hand written note and an origami crane with my latest purchase from Japan. The free shipping and low prices are more than enough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Got a nice hand written note and an origami crane with my latest purchase from Japan. The free shipping and low prices are more than enough!

Last thing I got from Japan had a photo of the seller in a tiny envelope, I'm laughing again thinking about it (it was make up related)

Would they be the BBC Micros that schools got free from Quinnsworth?

Granny's Garden! The highlight of early primary school

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Granny's Garden! The highlight of early primary school

Wow, blast from the past yeah now I remember that.

Went to Courtown at the weekend now that I'm living in Gorey. Last time I was there was in 1994 and remember MK2 was in the arcades but hadn't made it to consoles, super street fighter 2 was doing the rounds, as was Samurai Shodown.

Went looking for the old arcades I remember from then. Found the place on the seafront where I played Aero fighters 2 and it's full of ticket machines. the giant arcade warehouse is gone, and where I played Samurai Shodown and MK2 is now a bookies. Found a cab of Time Crisis 4 and Outrun 2 SP but that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Page might interest some peeps, I thought it was really cool
    https://instagram.com/treytrimble?igshid=1nijsuz2fs0dv

This showed up today in one of the facebook collectors groups :D

486130.jpg

Oh my!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

As a CMod I'm going to let you decide if that's an appropriate picture to post here!

486165.jpg

• Advertisement

Doge wrote: »
    486165.jpg

This image is far more offensive tbh

Advertisement