Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

This image is far more offensive tbh

needs more jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭Inviere

In the hardcore Fire Emblem community, one game used to be spoken about in hushed tones, a game that’s inspired countless forum threads filled with false hope, empty promises, and abandoned dreams. Thracia 776, the untranslated Fire Emblem. Thracia 776, the “translation patch killer.” Every few years, someone new would raise their hands in tribute, promising to be the person who would deliver what others could not, who could wrangle Thracia 776’s mangled code into shape, and plug in English characters. They always failed.

An interesting piece here on the 20 year job to translate Fire Emblem: Thracia 776, which is now fully playable in English!

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/mb8mvv/the-near-impossible-20-year-journey-to-translate-fire-emblem-thracia-776

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I had to empty out some of my retro stuff from a walk-in wardrobe and move it to the attic for the impending arrival of our 2nd child.

Came across stuff I hadn't look through in years - a whopping 190 page manual for Civilization 2 for instance, I really miss those big manuals.

Pulled out my Gameboy Colour and GBA SP and started playing some Link's Awakening DX, for shame I never finished it at the time. Still a good game but swapping items is indeed a pain.

Is it still worth playing now or am I better off waiting for the Switch remake?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,850 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Inviere wrote: »
    An interesting piece here on the 20 year job to translate Fire Emblem: Thracia 776, which is now fully playable in English!

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/mb8mvv/the-near-impossible-20-year-journey-to-translate-fire-emblem-thracia-776

Some interesting fan translations have come out recently. Maijin Tensei finally got a translation release, the last megaten game to be fan translated on the SNES and leaving only a handful left on the Saturn and some obscure systems (with only Devil Summoner on the Saturn being worth your while. Check out the other game Rondo to see what I'd safely call the ugliest 3D graphics ever in a commercial game).

What is considered the first Japanese RPG ever was translated for the PC-88 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,517 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Still waiting for Segagaga :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

o1s1n wrote: »
    Still waiting for Segagaga :(

There's still no progress on that? Last time I was checking in on it was around 2012/13 and the community was all 'any day now, lads.........'

Is there something in particular patchers/translators are struggling with in the game (aside from I guess the scale and the sheer amount of localisation necessary)?

Master of the Universe

Could be a case of them becoming perfectionists maybe?

Someone posted this over on reddit 7 days ago:

'I asked the dude on Twitter in like late 2017 or early 2018 and they said they were still working on it, despite the last update being from like 2013.'

Won't hold my breath, hopefully my Dreamcast still works whenever/if it eventually comes out!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,850 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Rule 1 about fan translation: Never get excited about one being released. You could be waiting a decade or more.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Rule 1 about fan translation: Never get excited about one being released. You could be waiting a decade or more.

Prob quicker to learn Japanese at times :)

The fan translation community can be pretty toxic as well.

One of the fire emblem games was being worked on for years, 17 I think, by one guy. Someone else came along as they were sick of waiting and released a patch and a tonne of hatemail came his way for stealing the project.

Aeon Genesis also seems to have had a bad time with the SMT community. He released the translation of SMT... if and in the release noes said he is cancelling all SMT projects as the fanbase are dicks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

People definitely aren't good about waiting for things on the internet. It's like, there are enough other fan translations to keep you occupied for 10 years.

I see this all the time with indie developers as well. If games fail, or get released and then abandoned they'll be posting screeds for years about how they were robbed of their €20 early backer pledge. If you're not prepared to lose money why back the game. I've backed maybe 3 things and I didn't really enjoy any of them but hey, the developers tried their best, I realise the products probably weren't what the developer had wanted either in every case the games met the goal but weren't really adequately funded to finish them properly.

And in the case of fan translations people are doing them for free and doing some pretty insane coding, translation work and most of all, QA as well to figure out if the translation is good in a 30 - 120 hour RPG that might have multiple dialogue options and narrative paths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭airmax87

After selling my collection to a poster here about 3 years ago, I'm getting the itch again for collecting/playing retro stuff.
    Trinitrons seem to have dried up locally which is a shame

airmax87 wrote: »
    After selling my collection to a poster here about 3 years ago, I'm getting the itch again for collecting/playing retro stuff.

You should talk to Ciderman, he knows exactly what you mean...

Master of the Universe

airmax87 wrote: »
    Trinitrons seem to have dried up locally which is a shame

That'd definitely be my fear alright, and with the prices of stuff going up so much it'd be a hard to get it all back.

Keep your eye on adverts for that dude who hoovered up all those broadcast monitors a little while ago. Might be some deals to be had.

Any recommendations for a 4k TN monitor that will accept an interlaced signal? I'm after ordering a OSSC and need a monitor that'll accept passthrough for the ps2. Cheers lads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭airmax87

funnily enough last thing i sold from here was a twinstick to ciderman himself :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,954 ✭✭✭Doge

487013.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Ha, I've retired from the selling and immediately regretting it and then buying them again...
    I'm in full on hoarder mode now...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭Jack burton

o1s1n wrote: »
    That'd definitely be my fear alright, and with the prices of stuff going up so much it'd be a hard to get it all back.

Keep your eye on adverts for that dude who hoovered up all those broadcast monitors a little while ago. Might be some deals to be had.

He's posting up on CRT collective. I'm glad and disappointed I didn't go down for that lot. Would be a huge headache getting all those sorted out.....but its definitely a once in a lifetime haul

• Advertisement

He's posting up on CRT collective. I'm glad and disappointed I didn't go down for that lot. Would be a huge headache getting all those sorted out.....but its definitely a once in a lifetime haul

he wants 300e for a 2130QM ,
    "fully serviced" so I assume it wiped with a damp rag

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I'm glad when I foolishly sold my collection it was rather small. Luckily some games were easier and cheaper to get this time round like Zombies or Beavis & Butthead. Unfortunately, House of the Dead is 4 times what I paid for it and I'm not in a rush to pay it since I have an NTSC copy!

I think the only other games I haven't replaced are Sonic Jam, Street Fighter Alpha 2 and Virtua Cop.

Master of the Universe

Facebook CRT Collective? Damn, closed my Facebook profile an age ago. I really wish the whole thing would just be done at this stage and people would just use forums, it can be a real pain in the arse when you don't have an account, like trying to access content behind a pay wall.

he wants 300e for a 2130QM ,
    "fully serviced" so I assume it wiped with a damp rag

Honestly the way things have gone that's not bad at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Anyone played The Need for Speed on the Saturn/PS1? Tempted to get it on the Saturn.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Anyone played The Need for Speed on the Saturn/PS1? Tempted to get it on the Saturn.

Should let you know which is best.

Last few games on the PC engine mini announced. 5 new games including the two Spriggan games, Dragon Spirit, Galaga '88 and Splatterhouse.

It's really turning out to be a cracker of a mini console.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Last few games on the PC engine mini announced. 5 new games including the two Spriggan games, Dragon Spirit, Galaga '88 and Splatterhouse.

It's really turning out to be a cracker of a mini console.

Legend of Valkyrie, Salamander(UK/US only), Tokimeki Memorial and Tengai Makyo II: Manji Maru(JP only) were also added to the line up today.

Konami confirmed that M2 are handling the emulation.

Konami confirmed that M2 are handling the emulation.

PC Engine emulation is already pretty damned good (perfect in the sense of being able to play the games without bugs or glitches). It'll be interesting to see when this is inspected for hacking, what the emulation is based on and if M2's input can add to the scene overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Actually interested in this! Never even saw a pc engine/turbo Grafx in real life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭trout

Anyone heard of PowerUP in Manchester? It's running now until September.

I've the flights booked for myself and mini-me ... really looking forward to it

40 years of games ... I plan on spending two days walking around, pointing at various consoles and saying "yup, I have that ... and that, and two of those"

https://www.scienceandindustrymuseum.org.uk/whats-on/powerup

Advertisement