Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After Hours Presidential Election Poll

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Mod note: Idbatterim, don't post in this thread again,

Buford T. Justice

I'm used to ya in the Farming forum and come here and find ya clearing up the high plains of cowboys.

smokingman wrote: »
    If Casey wins then we're truly living in Trumps Ireland...

Fantastically funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Any chance you could elaborate?

Sheeple was the old word...it was a bit classier too I think, Trump is the go to insult these days, usually uttered by people who haven't the foggiest what is happening in the States but believe they do because they consume bucketloads of media...like, well, sheep!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

ESMITH29 wrote: »
    Right so, I'm off on a half day today then and there's not a thing can be done about it, as I'm the boss up in this bitch now.
    declan2693 wrote: »
    Do you live in a fantasy world?
    CruelCoin wrote: »
    What world do you live on?

Was the sarcasm really that difficult to read? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

3 votes for MDH from myself, my wife and mother. Practically everyone I know has said they are voting the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    One statement about travellers and suddenly he's a No1 vote. Hilarious.

Brain dead dregs of society

• Registered Users Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Birds of a feather, flock......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Exit polls have been very reliable in the past here, even on contentious issues.

No reason to expect different here .

One thing to note was that there was no sign of desperation from the MDH campaign in the last few days, nor have odds moved today I think?

MDH won't be defenestrated from the early signs I'm seeing.

MDH is still safe. Real interest is in second place as even a Casey vote of region of 20% is not going to take it to a second count, given that other four would probably be on only slightly more than that combined.

Turnout is not much of a clue. Normally there is regional factor where the "native son" will clean up in their home patch. Only slight hint of that is higher than average turnout in Duffy's home patch up to tea time. None of others including MDH and Casey are bringing huge numbers out in Galway or Donegal.

No Dub and if earlier trend of higher turnout in middle class areas (although that is normally the case anyway) continues it could mean big vote for Higgins in the city. OR!!!! Intriguingly, the harassed middle delivering a message via Casey!

All looks bad for Shinners.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Has anyone noticed the news is so 'bored' with the presidential election-they're reporting on everything else?

It's like nobody's even interested. Hard for the electorate to be interested if the media aren't.

They cant talk about it today apart from reporting turnout etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Ya they didn't even bother with many polls in this election either, what gives?

Yeah, I've just found that even reporting on turnout was like 'meh'. So hence stupid stuff like 'Opera singing Donkey' on the RTE news...
    dudara wrote: »
    There’s a media moriatorum in place at the moment, they can’t talk about it. Not until the polls close I think.

If you’re referring to the overall election campaign, then I think it’s fair to say that it’s been a field of moderate to weak candidates at best. No wonder people aren’t interested.

Oh I know about the discussion of polling and so on, and who got what in terms of votes.
    But I was more commenting on the coverage of the election and all that.
    You'd usually see stuff like 'last minute campaigning' by candidates and all this.
    But nope. Nada.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

How many times have you voted, I thought you were a northern unionist?
    Wrong again as usual . Number 1 ; Casey .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

AnneFrank wrote: »

:D Someone didn't get Casey to come 2nd at 33/1 !!

Harriet the Opera Donkey is adorable!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Get back up to your attic you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Casey supporters or travellers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭smokingman

Any chance you could elaborate?

Let's see...a bored businessman with no knowledge of constitutional law riles up the hateful with stupid comments with the express purpose of becoming President...
    Now where have I heard that before?
    I think he probably said that just to get to 12% of the vote to get his money back from campaign expenses tbh without any real belief in it. Taxpayers money BTW. .

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭mammajamma

smokingman wrote: »
    Let's see...a bored businessman with no knowledge of constitutional law riles up the hateful with stupid comments with the express purpose of becoming President...
    Now where have I heard that before?
    I think he probably said that just to get to 12% of the vote to get his money back from campaign expenses tbh without any real belief in it. Taxpayers money BTW. .

The hateful.

What would a ruling body have to do to create such "hate" in people? Or did the hateful people just materialise out of nowhere, conveniently and without cause?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

This is deadly! All the right po-faced, sanctimonious, self-righteous, deluded cretins are losing their absolute sh1t!!

Love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

This is deadly! All the right po-faced, sanctimonious, self-righteous, deluded cretins are losing their absolute sh1t!!

Love it!

mammajamma wrote: »
    The hateful.

What would a ruling body have to do to create such "hate" in people? Or did the hateful people just materialise out of nowhere, conveniently and without cause?

He'll say it was the Jooos.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

The hateful.

I think there is a lot of hateful whining in Europe these days. And a lot of right wing opportunists that are only too happy to exploit that mood for their own (not anyone else's) gain.
    People are complaining how awful and sh*t everything is, but half of them are pissed off because they blame minorities that they don't have enough money for that latest and greatest iPhone or games console.
    Combine that with a very concerted right wing push on social media, pushed by trolls and hate groups by identifying convenient scapegoats to steer the mindless masses and we are right back in 1930.
    This all works by exploiting human greed, hate and stupidity. And now we see jowany people don't think further than that.
    Populists tell lies that people want to hear and give easy answers that don't work.
    And the people fall for this hateful drivel that shouldn't fool a five year old, because they think they will profit from it. Humans have learnt nothing over the last 100 years.

And the people fall for this hateful drivel that shouldn't fool a five year old, because they think they will profit from it.

This attitude isn't doing any favour at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭mammajamma

I think there is a lot of hateful whining in Europe these days. And a lot of right wing opportunists that are only too happy to exploit that mood for their own (not anyone else's) gain.
    People are complaining how awful and sh*t everything is, but half of them are pissed off because they blame minorities that they don't have enough money for that latest and greatest iPhone or games console.
    Combine that with a very concerted right wing push on social media, pushed by trolls and hate groups by identifying convenient scapegoats to steer the mindless masses and we are right back in 1930.
    This all works by exploiting human greed, hate and stupidity. And now we see jowany people don't think further than that.
    Populists tell lies that people want to hear and give easy answers that don't work.
    And the people fall for this hateful drivel that shouldn't fool a five year old, because they think they will profit from it. Humans have learnt nothing over the last 100 years.

I beg to differ. While there is always a manipulative element at work, this idea that the majority of people are pig-ignorant is nothing but unashamed condescension from a small group of people who live in a bubble (usually the internet).

People don't like globalisation. People like having a country. People don't like being told what they can and cant say and can and cant do, doubly so when it is contrary to common sense. People like to be around people like themselves, forget about idealism.

One of my personal zingers was the proclamation from varadkar that the population of Ireland is gong to increase by millions in some ridiculously short time span, as if it was some uncontrollable thing and not being directed at every level. People don't want that, and as the double whammy of increasing scarcity (job security, housing, hospital care etc) clashes against an unwanted population basically just moving in willy nilly....its not going to end well. It is surprisingly universal across the entire western world.

Where was the choice in any of this? No wonder people, everywhere, are getting more and more angry, the natural result of being forcefully pulled into a situation that is actively disliked and unwanted.

So when you say that people haven't learned anything in the last 100 years, you are correct for the wrong reasons. Suffocate the will of the people, and there will be an increasingly heavy price to pay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

I beg to differ. While there is always a manipulative element at work, this idea that the majority of people are pig-ignorant is nothing but unashamed condescension from a small group of people who live in a bubble (usually the internet).

People don't like globalisation. People like having a country. People don't like being told what they can and cant say and can and cant do, doubly so when it is contrary to common sense. People like to be around people like themselves, forget about idealism.

One of my personal zingers was the proclamation from varadkar that the population of Ireland is gong to increase by millions in some ridiculously short time span, as if it was some uncontrollable thing and not being directed at every level. People don't want that, and as the double whammy of increasing scarcity (job security, housing, hospital care etc) clashes against an unwanted population basically just moving in willy nilly....its not going to end well. It is surprisingly universal across the entire western world.

Where was the choice in any of this? No wonder people, everywhere, are getting more and more angry, the natural result of being forcefully pulled into a situation that is actively disliked and unwanted.

So when you say that people haven't learned anything in the last 100 years, you are correct for the wrong reasons. Suffocate the will of the people, and there will be an increasingly heavy price to pay.
    Excellent Post .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,459 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Tumbleweed over here.

Red C

MDH 58%
    PC 21%

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

elperello wrote: »
    Tumbleweed over here.

Red C

MDH 58%
    PC 21%

I'm frankly quite depressed he even got that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

elperello wrote: »
    Tumbleweed over here.

Red C

MDH 58%
    PC 21%

Interesting that that Poll is close to what Michael D has polled since the very start. PC increased his figures but only took from the also rans, not from Michael.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Where did the 70 million Irish people living outside the country that Casey spoke about originate from.

It's a bit rich to say we don't like globalisation when we have spread our own wings so wide.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

As someone who is on the Left of the political spectrum, I can hear and understand a lot of this; good post MJ. This sentiment should not be dismissed, if we really want to avoid a repeat of the 1930s.

We really need to have an honest debate to bring people together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,459 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It's only an exit poll so we will have to wait for the full results tomorrow.

Things are pretty dead here now there is a post mortem on the other thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement