Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After Hours Presidential Election Poll

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

LiamoSail wrote: »
    troyzer wrote: »
    Yeah, when are people going to understand that the president has no power and couldn't do anything you just said?

What's the point in voting for anyone so if that's the attitude? People are aware of how limited the power the President has is, however still believe in voting for a candidate who's views align closest with their own. For many, that means a candidate who opposes welfare frauds

Yes but the implication was that the days were numbered for welfare recipients.

They're not.

There are lots of reason to vote for a candidate, thinking they'll implement policy is not one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,652 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    And Casey (if he moves here permanently) will be right there in it.

Do you think he is part of the elite?

I think Michael D is much more a scion of the elite than Casey.
    A professional paid politician for 45 years, with multiple state pensions,on numerous boards, with a daughter a senator.
    Funny how you forgot to mention how he declined to draw down his multiple state pensions. And what are these numerous boards that he is on?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

They're not.

There are lots of reason to vote for a candidate, thinking they'll implement policy is not one of them.

But it shows policy makers there is a will to tackle welfare amongst some of the country at least.

It shows it is a topic people feel strongly about which means it will hopefully be something that is debated at the next election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

PC 1

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Funny how you forgot to mention how he declined to draw down his multiple state pensions. And what are these numerous boards that he is on?

And the fact that he has been voted in to pretty much every office he ever held. It's not like he got a job 45 years ago and has sat on his hands since then.

He has been judged and found acceptable time and time again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Dr Brown wrote: »
    If Casey wins they will probably blame the Russians.

It’s Money D who loves citizen killing dictators, not Casey

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Laneyh

Casey; number 1.

He speaks a lot of stuff most people are afraid to say for fear of being attacked by the PC brigade.

MDH is too old. If a teacher asked for another seven years work at the age of the 77, they would be told where to go and the same could be said about any other public sector role.

Freeman doesn't fully get the role. A lot of good work with Mental health but she can probably do most of that as a senator.

Ni Riada, thinks 47k net is the basic wage. Enough said.

Gallagher, second attempt, nothing different.

Duffy, not my cup of tea.

Peter said if elected he will leave after 5 years. He will be in receipt of a pension for however long he lives after that. He also said he would give money to the county councils - so I don't think he gets the role either.

The longest we'll be paying Michael D's pension for would be 20 years or so.
    We'd potentially save money in the long run

Let's see what happens I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

wonder will we get any exit polls?

Don't think it is legal to publish an exit poll until after stations close.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭circadian

I just checked into this thread for the first time since his morning and you're repeating the same line over and over. Does it not get boring?

circadian wrote: »
    I just checked into this thread for the first time since his morning and you're repeating the same line over and over. Does it not get boring?

No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

circadian wrote: »

Ah sur the PC brigade have been spouting the same lines over and over so it's all the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Love the repeated use of 'Money D'. which I laugh at every time I see it.

It's the homer for sanitation commissioner tactic. No argument? Try and make fun of your opponent. Doesn't matter if it makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭circadian

I'm waiting for the Money D album produced by Dr Dre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Love the repeated use of 'Money D'. which I laugh at every time I see it.

Crooked Miggledy ?

Drain the swamp !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

fergus1001 wrote: »
    Crooked Miggledy ?

Drain the swamp !
    Good , but Money D nails it so much better .

• Registered Users Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Crooked Miggledy ?

Drain the swamp !
    Surely it would be "little michael d"

• Registered Users Posts: 32,292 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Crooked Miggledy ?

Drain the swamp !
    So you are basically using Trump language? Is that someone whose beliefs you want to invoke?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,652 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

naughtb4 wrote: »

They're not.

But it shows policy makers there is a will to tackle welfare amongst some of the country at least.

It shows it is a topic people feel strongly about which means it will hopefully be something that is debated at the next election.
    Or else it shows policy makers that a proportion of the electorate will fall easily enough for Trump style divide-and-conquer tactics that point fingers at people and issues that have nothing to do with the election in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Gave PC my number 1 vote.

Agree with sentiment re Higgins.

Nothing fundamentally against his character but for me he is too old and at 77 I don't think I am being ageist in saying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

Crooked Miggledy ?

Drain the swamp !

Low Energy Miggeldy.

He can't go to the debates because he needs to go to bed and get tucked in tight.

Poor guy. He gets tired easily.

Miggeldy Moocher.

Ten grand for his dogs to get groomed.

Never ever worked a private sector job. Spent all of your money on flowers and airplanes.

Money D Higgins.

Sleepy Miggeldy.

Tired Miggeldy.

Miggeldy Castro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Low Energy Miggeldy.

He can't go to the debates because he needs to go to bed and get tucked in tight.

Poor guy. He gets tired easily.

Miggeldy Moocher.

Ten grand for his dogs to get groomed.

Never ever worked a private sector job. Spent all of your money on flowers and airplanes.

Money D Higgins.

Sleepy Miggeldy.

Tired Miggeldy.

Miggeldy Castro.

Ya but who's tucking him in

• Registered Users Posts: 19,190 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Lads, for anyone wanting to do a protest vote, there will be local council elections next year. Do it there.

If you vote in Jimmy the local racist/gobshite/sex-offender then at least the whole country won't be stuck with him making a show of us for 7 years

Ya but who's tucking him in

He has special advisor on tucking in, via unvouched expenses

Lads, for anyone wanting to do a protest vote, there will be local council elections next year. Do it there.

If you vote in Jimmy the local racist/gobshite/sex-offender then at least the whole country won't be stuck with him making a show of us for 7 years

Makes no sense.

Makes no sense.

I'll try to explain it for you. I'll type it slowly in case you are a slow reader ;)

President has feck all political power but is a figurehead. So it is an important position in terms of diplomatic relations and perception of the country. If a politician's concern is local and in local politics, he won't care so much about who is President.

If the parties were that interested in that position then they would all run candidates. They don't because they don't care. SF didn't even brand their candidate this time around.

So if you want to "use" your vote as a protest to send a message to the "political classes" then it is better to do it at a level that won't embarrass the country but would have an actual impact on the political parties. Start with the council elections next year

I'll try to explain it for you. I'll type it slowly in case you are a slow reader ;)

President has feck all political power but is a figurehead. So it is an important position in terms of diplomatic relations and perception of the country. If a politician's concern is local and in local politics, he won't care so much about who is President.

If the parties were that interested in that position then they would all run candidates. They don't because they don't care. SF didn't even brand their candidate this time around.

So if you want to "use" your vote as a protest to send a message to the "political classes" then it is better to do it at a level that won't embarrass the country but would have an actual impact on the political parties. Start with the council elections next year

But non of the candidates are racist, gobsh*tes or sex offenders as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

I too am very surprised at this thread, that people are choosing the President based on politics? I gave #1 for Higgins based on him being better suited to the role. I will be voting for politics in the next election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Peter Casey will make Ireland great again.

But non of the candidates are racist, gobsh*tes or sex offenders as far as I know.

I know.

I heard that a lot of people were hoping for the trifecta but their ideal candidate never ran

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Peter Casey will make Ireland great again.

I'm surprised at the voters Casey appears to have garnered.

Although as a postal voter I cast mine a few days again, not saying how I voted but I can't stand the horrible little hobbit man in the Aras atm.

Dropped my daughter to vote just now and the polling station in Portmarnock was brisk.

I was surprised, and happy to see a Muslim family going in to vote (hopefully Casey).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement