Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After Hours Presidential Election Poll

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Hmm right. Not entirely sure you actually know what a generalisation is then to be honest.

Verbatim, it sounds out about as much of a generalisation as it could possibly be. They, being the aforementioned Travellers.
    When challenged on it he even says 'well, I'm just saying, the general conception...' before trailing off on some thing about Travellers moving into an area in caravans.

Does he account for Travellers who have since settled, but still identify or have grown up as Travellers? Or those who live in permanent structures on site?

Seems to me to be trying to paint a picture of a generalised, scaremongery idea of a Traveller.
    No I don't believe he's generalising at all. He's talking about the travellers who are not settled and who are transient. Why would settled travellers be camping on someone's land?

• Registered Users Posts: 67,496 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Lol.

The match must have been awful if you were on “here” instead of watching it :)

TbL

I can multi task, contrary to generalisations about the male gender! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,673 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

No I don't believe he's generalising at all. He's talking about the travellers who are not settled and who are transient.
    That's pretty much the definition of 'generalising' that you've given there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

He said travellers are basically people who camp on other people's lands.

When the fact is that 74% are in permanent housing.

Does that mean they cease to be travellers, seeing as they're not likely to be travelling very far with a static abode? :D

That's pretty much the definition of 'generalising' that you've given there.

Ah so he's generalising about travellers who occupy someone else's land then. Good one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

I'd personally pay out on some of the bets posted here to see him stick it to holier than thou lot in the media. I was a big supporter of Leo becoming Taoiseach but he's turned out to be the most disengenuous snake of the lot and probably my least favourite Taoiseach in my lifetime.

If anybody other than the creepy little incumbent finishes ahead of Casey I'll be amazed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

I'd personally pay out on some of the bets posted here to see him stick it to holier than thou lot in the media. I was a big supporter of Leo becoming Taoiseach but he's turned out to be the most disengenuous snake of the lot and probably my least favourite Taoiseach in my lifetime.

If anybody other than the creepy little incumbent finishes ahead of Casey I'll be amazed.

tbh I believed leo's working man gimmick
    he ****ed me and the rest of us

I want them all to burn and take mickey martin in with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,673 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Ah so he's generalising about travellers who occupy someone else's land then. Good one.

Eh no, he's generalising about ALL travellers based on what some travellers may have done in the past - occupy someone else's land.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mieletech

No 1 here for Peter along wit all family members..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

I think it's very refreshing that so many people are going out of their way to tell us with their first post, that they're voting Casey no.1, along with every man and his dog.

He's guaranteed to get 90%+ of the first vote at this stage. I don't know why the other candidates are even bothering.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

One statement about travellers and suddenly he's a No1 vote. Hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,259 ✭✭✭✭endacl

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Only of the people who think the president has power to do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

it's not what he said, it's more who he pissed off by saying it

it's not what he said, it's more who he pissed off by saying it

Even more hilarious.

I agree, for the most part, with what he said but I won't be voting for him based on a single statement knowing nothing more about him or his policies. Though as pointed out above, he can do feck all anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Even more hilarious.

I agree, for the most part, with what he said but I won't be voting for him based on a single statement knowing nothing more about him or his policies. Though as pointed out above, he can do feck all anyway.
    that's the point though, it's a safe protest vote, a bit of political disobedience without the fallout of brexit or trump. people are happy to use the ceremonial presidency as an opportunity to piss off the Montrose lovies and the professional hypocrites who would simply die at the thought of a halting site next door to them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

endacl wrote: »
    Only of the people who think the president has power to do anything.
    Nope. I’m giving Casey my No. 1 because not a single one of the other candidates has said anything that resonates with me at all.

I think most people understand that the role of President is largely ceremonial but the fact that Casey was polling at less than 2% before he actually stated some bone fide facts, only to be accused of being a racist by the out of touch media and several public figures, means that should he now poll well (hopefully over 20%) an very firm message will have been sent.

He’s made a valid point that chimes with huge swathes of the population and folk are happy to vote for him to send a message that they aren’t happy.

None of the others are saying anything worthwhile to persuade me to give them my vote.

that's the point though, it's a safe protest vote, a bit of political disobedience without the fallout of brexit or trump. people are happy to use the ceremonial presidency as an opportunity to piss off the Montrose lovies and the professional hypocrites who would simply die at the thought of a halting site next door to them

If that's the thought process, fair enough. I think you're giving far too much credit to said voters though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

The filthy fifty (from today's Independent):
    The suspects are considered members of a notorious Traveller burglary gang based in the Fettercairn area of Tallaght, Dublin........
    The Tallaght gang are suspected of mainly operating "during daylight hours" in afternoons and evenings when homeowners are at work. They are suspected of carrying out dozens of break-ins in recent months across the country.
    Also included in the 'Filthy 50' list are a number of different sets of brothers, most of whom are part of the Traveller community.
    This is not an anomaly, this is the norm in that community.
    Peter Casey just highlighted the fact. He spoke the truth.

The Irish media and spineless Irish politicians wants us to disregard the reality. Voting for Peter Casey gives us an opportunity to express our 'displeasure' with their distortion of the reality, which many of us have to endure in our communities.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

dav3 wrote: »
    I think it's very refreshing that so many people are going out of their way to tell us with their first post, that they're voting Casey no.1, along with every man and his dog.

He's guaranteed to get 90%+ of the first vote at this stage. I don't know why the other candidates are even bothering.

Only for Sinn Fein, that was the plan.

...means that should he now poll well (hopefully over 20%) an very firm message will have been sent.

Don't be so pessimistic. Look at the poll on here. What with boards.ie full of commie, pinko, leftist, liberal, sjws. The overall first preference vote for Casey should be almost 100%.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Kivaro wrote: »
    The filthy fifty (from today's Independent):

This is not an anomaly, this is the norm in that community.
    Peter Casey just highlighted the fact. He spoke the truth.

The Irish media and spineless Irish politicians wants us to disregard the reality. Voting for Peter Casey gives us an opportunity to express our 'displeasure' with their distortion of the reality, which many of us have to endure in our communities.

From the same article :
    Gardaí in Greystones, Co Wicklow, arrested a 14-year-old boy as he came out the window of a house wearing socks on his hands.
    Officers are confident of arresting his older teenage brother, who is also a juvenile, and are also investigating the role of the boys' young mother, who is suspected of acting as the getaway driver and facilitator of the crimes.

But yes, keep telling us how this 'culture' is something that deserves protection and needs to be cherished :rolleyes:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/mother-acts-as-driver-for-teen-sons-in-burglaries-37443779.html

Don't be so pessimistic. Look at the poll on here. What with boards.ie full of commie, pinko, leftist, liberal, sjws. The overall first preference vote for Casey should be almost 100%.

I'm getting the nice warm fuzzy feeling that certain elements of society are getting worried that Casey is going to perform really well on Friday.

How will they cope when the cold realisation dawns that their views are the ones that are out of step?

VOTE PETER CASEY NO. 1.

I'm getting the nice warm fuzzy feeling that certain elements of society are getting worried that Casey is going to perform really well on Friday.

How will they cope when the cold realisation dawns that their views are the ones that are out of step?

VOTE PETER CASEY NO. 1.

Even if he was voted in, what would it change? What is there to worry about?

Again, I agree with most of what he said. Will I both for him based on that single statement, no I won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭0cp71eyxkb94qf

This post has been deleted.

Again, I agree with most of what he said. Will I both for him based on that single statement, no I won't.

It would be some laugh.
    What a kick up the hole that would be for the sheltered elite in Government and Montrose.
    The people who "get up early in the morning to go to work" could laugh their way to their places of employment.

May I ask who you are voting for and why then?

Those of us voting for Casey (for the most part) are doing so as he's the only one, out of all the candidates, who has said anything worth receiving a vote for.

The role of president is indeed without power, but if these people want our very valuable votes they have to earn it by giving us a reason to vote for them. Casey has given me a reason to vote for him.

VOTE PETER CASEY NO. 1.

VOTE PETER CASEY NO. 1.

For someone showing such bravado, starting off with 'well if he at least gets 20%' is a bit lame.

Surely he's going to get 100% with every man, astroturfer, woman, child, astroturfer, cat, dog and astroturfer behind him.

You need to show a bit more optimism.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,565 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This Casey guy is saying what everyone knows.

Unusual but could give him a big boost!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Wasn't even going to vote but Peter Casey has my support. He still won't win but fcuk it.

• Advertisement

For someone showing such bravado, starting off with 'well if he at least gets 20%' is a bit lame.

Surely he's going to get 100% with every man, astroturfer, woman, child, astroturfer, cat, dog and astroturfer behind him.

You need to show a bit more optimism.

One man, one vote. You can't have astroturfers voting 3 times.
    You're still worried though and that's hilarious.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement