Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

what happens when someone comes along who will take it seriously?

He spoke the truth and didn't back down

Went from 2 to 23%

That's how fragile their system is

That is what I meant in the last sentence of my post.

He is winding them all up now. Said he was going to join FF, to which an immediate tweet went out saying something like "ah we're all right"

I hope they are sitting in dark smoke filled (vape filled now I suppose) rooms trying to sort the will of the people out.

But I'd say they are looking to their communications gurus to give them a steer as to how the keep the status quo.

Well they certainly have the media on message anyway. I am very disappointed at our meeja who point blank refuse to acknowledge that people are totally fed up and need an outlet for EQUALITY!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,328 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

This is what my local Fianna Fáil when asked should travellers be granted minority status.

They are as much Irish as I am. – Kevin O’Keeffe.

So the view would be shared by some within the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

That is what I meant in the last sentence of my post.

He is winding them all up now. Said he was going to join FF, to which an immediate tweet went out saying something like "ah we're all right"

I hope they are sitting in dark smoke filled (vape filled now I suppose) rooms trying to sort the will of the people out.

But I'd say they are looking to their communications gurus to give them a steer as to how the keep the status quo.

Well they certainly have the media on message anyway. I am very disappointed at our meeja who point blank refuse to acknowledge that people are totally fed up and need an outlet for EQUALITY!

The media are paid off cowards in this country

Which newspaper reveals all the corruption in this country?

tretorn wrote: »
    A friend just sent me this...

The travellers are complaining RTE doesnt show enough of their culture.
    RTE has agreed to put Crimeline on seven days of the week.

uh weren’t you bitching a ton ShoesDayChild a few hours ago for disrespecting “an ethnic minority”?

Pot..
    kettle..

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Chewchewtrain

Is there any way of having a civil public debate on the impacts the travelling community has on the individual constituencies? And whether some of the breaks they get are rights?

The fact that Casey's polling jumped from 2 to 21% (while being the same feeble opportunist, IMO) shows that a lot of people are eager to confront the issue on a national scale. In a way that local communities cannot...

I am liberal minded, I believe they are an ethnic minority, I think Casey was dead wrong there. I don't want persecution of a minority. But I believe many are taking the biscuit, and have been for generations.

• Advertisement

What about a documentary about the intellectually disabled people they held as slaves in slum conditions in sites in the UK?

That's the culture we need to see

If it's the one I think you are referring to, it does not have an online presence, only a UK one.

What corruption?
    Seriously, if you think Ireland is corrupt, you need to travel!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

[QUOTE=Chewchewtrain;108477377

I am liberal minded, I believe they are an ethnic minority, I think Casey was dead wrong there. I don't want persecution of a minority. But I believe many are taking the biscuit, and have been for generations.[/QUOTE]

I consider my self liberal,
    I have gone to school with the settled travellers, some were in halting sites all their life, and they blended in well,
    we sat together in class, they did well, but just like the settled community there are a few that don't care
    Also their places are spick and span, it is a few that give the lot a bad name,
    I don't believe they should be seen as a special group of people, we are all equal, education is free,
    This country is one of the best in the world to have been born in, we should all consider ourselves fortunate to belong here.

bubblypop wrote: »
    What corruption?
    Indeed, Ireland would be in the second bottom fifth of the league table.

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote: »
    What corruption?

I think some people would just like to see more free speaking in the media.
    Without people getting sacked or calls for them to be sacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭irishproduce

I'd be worried that if someone (maybe Casey) set up a grouping to start a party - after the backfire of a ballsup the media made trying to hang him out on his original comments - that the media won't make the mistake again and would screen out the group. They wouldn't get the airtime. It would be smothered trying to be born.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I don't know if a new party is a runner. In general, Irish people aren't right-wing and usually don't kick up much of a fuss. I'd much prefer if the mainstream political parties, the policymakers and the authorities took heed of the message they've been sent. If the will to stop indulging travellers and scroungers was there, something would be done. Sadly, I don't see it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,816 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Casey is a troll

His Fianna Fail comments have actually proved that.

I don't know if a new party is a runner. In general, Irish people aren't right-wing and usually don't kick up much of a fuss. I'd much prefer if the mainstream political parties, the policymakers and the authorities took heed of the message they've been sent. If the will to stop indulging travellers and scroungers was there, something would be done. Sadly, I don't see it happening.

It is up to those who want things to change (now that a message has been sent out loud and clear), to effect change.

Only way to do it is quiz everyone seeking your vote and see what they say, and if it is reflected in whatever party's policies.

They are all totally indistinguishable at the moment. You could be voting for any one of them and their policies are all the same really. No one prepared to get out of their gilded box.

But they may have to.

I'd be worried that if someone (maybe Casey) set up a grouping to start a party - after the backfire of a ballsup the media made trying to hang him out on his original comments - that the media won't make the mistake again and would screen out the group. They wouldn't get the airtime. It would be smothered trying to be born.

That's exactly what would happen

A thin vaneer of democracy is what we have now

But when given the chance uninhibited by the bent media we speak

Casey is a troll

It is great though to see the sacred cows being trolled. I think it is great craic, and is sending a message out.

Gas the way FF backed off from his offer. They should have invited him right in and increased their poll ratings by 23% overnight. But no...... can't be speaking for the ordinary contributing man/woman who is rightly fed up.

Can't be rocking the consensus boat at all at all.

I often get the impression that the people who post here often complain about scroungers are often from Dublin/Commuter belt but Casey got a weak vote here.
    Whilst in rural areas he got a stronger vote and in my experience and out of the people I know who voted for Casey was mainly due to criminality in rural areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,816 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

It is great though to see the sacred cows being trolled. I think it is great craic, and is sending a message out.

Gas the way FF backed off from his offer. They should have invited him right in and increased their poll ratings by 23% overnight. But no...... can't be speaking for the ordinary contributing man/woman who is rightly fed up.

Can't be rocking the consensus boat at all at all.

To be honest , it couldn't happen to a nicer party.

Michael Martin going around as if the crash and his part in it didn't happen.

Our kids will be paying for their doings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Imagine he said anything like his comments in front of any of the councils. We'd have never had the benefit of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

markodaly wrote: »
    I hope your not a teacher because your math is terribly off.

Horse racing in Ireland is a €2 Billion industry, employs 28,000 people both directly and indirectly.

https://edition.cnn.com/2017/09/19/sport/horse-racing-ireland-brian-kavanagh/index.html

A €61 million to support such an industry is to anyone is a good investment. But then again the likes of Brid Smith with their old school Marxism and class warfare dont give a **** about all this, they just view the industry through the eyes of class.

If this is what you envisage of what left-wing is, then no wonder the exit poll had them at 1%.

Ahh Bríd…..she usually gets a good crowd at her old-school mass meetings...…...

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/79/31/2d/79312d1da89abc5152eebff97463e8d5.jpg

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Those connected with the Stardust tragedy basically telling Casey to get lost. They accused him of trying to exploit their campaign.

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2018/1028/1007202-politics/

• Site Banned Posts: 1 nPc1452032156

get over it casey voters you lost, fair n square
    we had to accept trump stealing the presidency and now you have to accept your loss

we had to accept trump stealing the presidency and now you have to accept your loss

Who’s “we” exactly? I don’t think too many Irish folk could give a piss if a baboon from Dublin zoo took the US office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

I have to give him his due. He made a statement, sincerely meant it and didn't back down when the politically correct scalded him for it. His comment/s obviously resonated with almost 1/4 of those who did vote. I would be of the opinion that he won't pursue politics. It will be interesting to see does someone else tap into the well of disenchantment his vote represents come the general election. I wish him well for the future.

He has my admiration for having an honestly held opinion and for standing by it. I wish our politicians had some backbone.

You signed up a new username to post that!

Anyway, the president can't change anything, so it's a moot point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Dr Brown wrote: »
    Higgins has over 90 rooms in his gaff you think he could house a few travellers and some syrian refugees there.
    He can even put them on expenses and he still doesn’t do it !

what happens when someone comes along who will take it seriously?

He spoke the truth and didn't back down

Went from 2 to 23%

That's how fragile their system is
    Anything that is built on not facing the TRUTH is on dodgy ground .

We have been down this road with the Catholic Church and how did that turn out .

The Politically correct crowd are doing exactly the same thing today .

The TRUTH cannot be spoken or even thought about if they had their way .

The TRUTH is spoken by the victors, who also decide what that TRUTH is.

• Advertisement

Casey is a troll

The FF-ers are so easy to troll . He just couldn’t help himself .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement