Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

P_1 wrote: »
    Good job putting words in my mouth pal. Were a republic in 2018 and some of the backward practices carried out in the name of culture have no place in it.

Segregation is not going to fix that though. We need to have traveler kids going to school with settled kids. The current generation is fooked but there might be hope for the next one

Again who’s the one keeping them out of school?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

So theres a perception that all travellers are out robbing the place blind.

Travellers are saying some are doing that because they cant get work.

Literary rates in the travelling community are way lower than the national average.

Why is that so and how can it be fixed?

They have access to same services, such as free education, as everybody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

RaichuMGS wrote: »
    Again who’s the one keeping them out of school?

Yes but how is divisive bolloxology going to fix this mess?

We need to get the high profile people in the travelling community asking these questions. If they come up with nonsense excuses call them out on them but pillory is not the answer.

We need to get the high profile people in the travelling community asking these questions. If they come up with nonsense excuses call them out on them but pillory is not the answer.

Yeah that’ll surely happen. They’re too busy calling anyone with a different opinion a racist.

What needs to happen is the same crowd who’d come down on your or I for not sending children to school need to divert resources to dealing with them. They can just do whatever they want and get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Then they'll just call out as being racist.
    What the government should do is link school attendance to welfare.
    Quite simply if your child is not going to school you're not getting your welfare cheque or children's allowance. Personally I'd target welfare as its paid on a weekly basis, and you can base it on the child's attendance the previous week.
    All children must complete school upto leaving cert. No exceptions.
    And before people start whining saying working people's children are not being targetted..its because working parent's children go to school. End of story.

• Advertisement

Yeah that’ll surely happen. They’re too busy calling anyone with a different opinion a racist.

What needs to happen is the same crowd who’d come down on your or I for not sending children to school need to divert resources to dealing with them. They can just do whatever they want and get away with it.

Hard to disagree with that. We have issues but Casey isn't the answer to that. Were better than him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭enricoh

Hard to disagree with that. We have issues but Casey isn't the answer to that. Were better than him

Can u name me one politician that has gone against the narrative and said Erica Fleming, Mrs cash and the houses in tipp are an insult to taxpayers? I can't think of one

enricoh wrote: »
    Can u name me one politician that has gone against the narrative and said Erica Fleming, Mrs cash and the houses in tipp are an insult to taxpayers? I can't think of one

Neither can I but the issue is that he only highlighted a problem without outlining a solution. That's about as useful as a fart in a spacesuit.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,037 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Neither can I but the issue is that he only highlighted a problem without outlining a solution. That's about as useful as a fart in a spacesuit.

Before you can solve a problem, you have to first admit there's one.

No one in government would dare acknowledge the optics of the sponger class

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Before you can solve a problem, you have to first admit there's one.

No one in government would dare acknowledge the optics of the sponger class

Would you just point out a problem in work without having at least one potential solution outlined? No you wouldn't. Why are we happy with politicians doing just that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Iwouldinmesack

Literary rates in the travelling community are way lower than the national average.

Studies have shown that another minority community in Ireland, the Deaf community, has way below average literacy levels with 80pc of the community having an English literacy level the same as an eight year old hearing child.

This is to do with them being taught in a language they can't hear rather than their native Irish Sign Language. This 'oversight' has had a huge knock on effect as this has lead to a lack of educational and employment opportunities in the community with many then living in poverty.

The Irish Sign Language Act 2017 aims to ensure Deaf people will be educated in Irish Sign Language but this will take time to implement. Deaf people want equal access to education, employment, healthcare and other such things hearing people take for granted.

The Oireachtas committee previously in 2016 released a report which stated the Deaf community were and are still 'extremely marginalized' due to oppression they faced because of different concepts that were introduced in the State such as normalisation, oralism (linguistic suppression of ISL, where their language was banned and Deaf people would be punished if caught signing) ,segregation and also because of the neglect, physical and sexual abuses that occured.

The government may have recently recognised them as a sociocultural group and their language as a native language of Ireland but real and meaningful changes still have yet to be introduced.

They don't get as many opportunities as travellers, just get on with things, do not blame and use stuff that has actually happened as a crutch and then use it as excuse to go on the rob, with the majority being law abiding citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Hillary Clinton made the mistake of thinking that she was better than Trump and had the moral high ground over him which would bring her over the line.
    Angela Merkel thinks that too and it will cost her ultimately down the line.
    The problem with world politics in 2018 is social media has eroded the middle ground because when anybody posts their view on social media, they tend to exaggerate their points to push them up in the pecking order. You see it here on Boards too.
    So political candidates can only survive by doing the same thing and that really does not suit the liberal left. Damn them computers. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Until Travellers put a value on education, there is absolutely nothing anyone can do. You can lead a horse to water and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Would you just point out a problem in work without having at least one potential solution outlined? No you wouldn't. Why are we happy with politicians doing just that?

Actually you would. It happens all the time.
    Someone points out an issue, and we all get together to work on identifying solutions to put into place. In fact in all the companies I have worked this is basic troubleshooting methodology .

What has happened here is people have called out the issues for ages and no one has bothered their ass to help and just accused them of being racist/bigots.
    Now for the first time someone going for election has called out what the issue is...and again he is accused of being racist or a bigot. In fact he's done no such thing and no one when asked has provided a concrete answer that what he has said is racist.
    Now this guy could be a complete muppet or ahole but he's done this country a favour. He's publicly called out what most people in this country believe and have experienced despite Regina's bull**** statements.
    In my hometown alone my parents new house was robbed and the travellers based there robbed 14 other houses in the same day in a robbery blitz.
    The guards could do nothing and they still walk around to this day scamming welfare and targeting houses to rob.

Blazer wrote: »
    Actually you would. It happens all the time.
    Someone points out an issue, and we all get together to work on identifying solutions to put into place. In fact in all the companies I have worked this is basic troubleshooting methodology .

What has happened here is people have called out the issues for ages and no one has bothered their ass to help and just accused them of being racist/bigots.
    Now for the first time someone going for election has called out what the issue is...and again he is accused of being racist or a bigot. In fact he's done no such thing and no one when asked has provided a concrete answer that what he has said is racist.
    Now this guy could be a complete muppet or ahole but he's done this country a favour. He's publicly called out what most people in this country believe and have experienced despite Regina's bull**** statements.
    In my hometown alone my parents new house was robbed and the travellers based there robbed 14 other houses in the same day in a robbery blitz.
    The guards could do nothing and they still walk around to this day scamming welfare and targeting houses to rob.

Then why arent our government and more importantly the incompetent high grade civil servants doing just that?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,548 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Anyone who suspects welfare fraud can report it anonymously.

https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/secure/ReportFraud.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

Perhaps we could give the Travellers their own nation.

They could have one of the 26 counties.

Then they could no longer complain about "discrimination".

Absolutely I would.

If its a mangers job to resolve the problem, I'd have no problem raising it.

That's really a strange post above....
    You ask a really common question but then answer it on behalf of who you asked...

Very strange

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Hillary Clinton made the mistake of thinking that she was better than Trump and had the moral high ground over him which would bring her over the line.
    Angela Merkel thinks that too and it will cost her ultimately down the line.
    The problem with world politics in 2018 is social media has eroded the middle ground because when anybody posts their view on social media, they tend to exaggerate their points to push them up in the pecking order. You see it here on Boards too.
    So political candidates can only survive by doing the same thing and that really does not suit the liberal left. Damn them computers. :)

The narrative does not really cover it though. The right/left political axis is not what's polarized in the last 5 years, it's the liberal side of the liberal/conservative axis that has gone off the deep end. It now behaves like a fundamentalist religion where anyone who challenges their sacred cows in any way will be accused of blasphemy (aka bigotry, and every -ism under the sun) . They will not stop until that person is forced to repent and is ostracized by all and sundry

People are sick of it, hence brexit, rise of trump, rise of anything that says ya boo sucks to this mindset. The outrage mob have cried wolf too often and now people are thinking that maybe wolves are just what's needed to shut this nonsense up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Are travellers doing anything to fix these problems ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

Exactly.

In Ireland, every child is required by law to remain in school until age 16 or until he or she completes three years of post-primary education, whichever comes later. So it's worth asking why Travellers can take their kids out of education at age 12 and seemingly never suffer any consequences.

Well it’s fairly simple. Everyone needs to stop being such racists and hire them poor oul travellers.
    The Irish Elite will be first in the queue .:eek:

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Absolutely I would.

If its a mangers job to resolve the problem, I'd have no problem raising it.

That's really a strange post above....
    You ask a really common question but then answer it on behalf of who you asked...

Very strange

That's lazy and dare I say it outdated thinking, if I come across a problem in work you bet yer ass I'm figuring out a solution before i bring it up

Dr Brown wrote: »
    Perhaps we could give the Travellers their own nation.

They could have one of the 26 counties.

Then they could no longer complain about "discrimination".
    Would it be taking the piss to give them the 6 .

That's lazy and dare I say it outdated thinking, if I come across a problem in work you bet yer ass I'm figuring out a solution before i bring it up

Great, good for you.

By the way is not lazy and outdated thinking.
    Its actually policy in many large companies that employees bring potential problems to managets attention.... It's neither outdated not progressive thinking, just common sense actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭listermint

So basically what all the Casey voters in here are telling me . Some are even spelling it out.

I just have to start a party giving out about travellers, giving out about social welfare recipients pretend to be economically conservative about public money and do it on the national airwaves and they will vote for me.

I don't need any actual policies just the ranty stuff.

Oh and call anyone that looks for facts or details a PC lovey.

Is that spot on ? Because that's basically what I got from this thread. Il be an. Absolute shoe in. Rage against the machine. Whatever the machine is

• Registered Users Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Fianna Fail and become Taisoeach.

Only one problem with that. Fianna Fail do not want him.

No wonder everyone in here has stopped talking about him.

They realise he is just like every other politician in the country.

He will say whatever he has to to get the votes.

He should have said Labour or, Fianna Gail or even Sinn Fein as seemingly a lot of tere supporters voted for him.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Not always practical to sit and analyze a problem before telling people about it. Especially if you are not an expert.
    Act fast, alert others, get the problem solved.

listermint wrote: »
    So basically what all the Casey voters in here are telling me . Some are even spelling it out.

I just have to start a party giving out about travellers, giving out about social welfare recipients pretend to be economically conservative about public money and do it on the national airwaves and they will vote for me.

I don't need any actual policies just the ranty stuff.

Oh and call anyone that looks for facts or details a PC lovey.

Is that spot on ? Because that's basically what I got from this thread. Il be an. Absolute shoe in. Rage against the machine. Whatever the machine is

What about the law that states all children must receive an education? If a parent is breaking this law what do you think should happen to them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭omega man

AMKC wrote: »
    Fianna Fail and become Taisoeach.

Only one problem with that. Fianna Fail do not want him.

No wonder every here has stopped talking about him.

They realise he is just like every other politician in the country.

He will say whatever he has to to get the votes.

He should have said Labour or, Fianna Gail or even Sinn Fein as seemingly a lot of tere supporters voted for him.

Being devils advocate maybe he sees FF as a party that could recover their numbers by taping into those who voted for him. A shift to the centre / centre right from their recent centre left swing could be conceivable?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement