Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Icsics

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    We don't have free education in this country

We do for travellers!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,010 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Icsics wrote: »

We do for travellers!

Only partially true, is the problem more so, the cost of living for the average person is slowly increasing but wage inflation is relatively low, stagnant in some cases?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

I actually think it was quite strategic

Say something negative about travellers to rile people up
    Feign a dramatic "I might leave" to keep the news headlines spotlight
    Come back in to keep the headlines on you
    Stand by yoyr traveller comments and find other easily attackable targets

Ah the buffoon master strategist position! He doesn't have a clue what he's saying, but he has a cunning plan!:rolleyes:

I think that he is exactly what you get. He made a relatively off-the-cuff statement which was very non-political. As he isn't a politician, this is a bit more understandable. Politicians aren't supposed to talk about difficult things, and they certainly aren't meant to talk about difficult things in a way you might do in the pub.

Casey was surprised, and a bit appalled I think, by the backlash he received, and given his low polling figures of 1-2% was genuinely considering pulling out I think. There isn't a strategic bone in his body, he wouldn't have entered this race in the first place if he had, and he doesn't have a hope of being accepted into the embrace of Fianna Fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,022 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Ah the buffoon master strategist position! He doesn't have a clue what he's saying, but he has a cunning plan!:rolleyes:

I think that he is exactly what you get. He made a relatively off-the-cuff statement which was very non-political. As he isn't a politician, this is a bit more understandable. Politicians aren't supposed to talk about difficult things, and they certainly aren't meant to talk about difficult things in a way you might do in the pub.

Casey was surprised, and a bit appalled I think, by the backlash he received, and given his low polling figures of 1-2% was genuinely considering pulling out I think. There isn't a strategic bone in his body, he wouldn't have entered this race in the first place if he had, and he doesn't have a hope of being accepted into the embrace of Fianna Fail.

No

It wasnt an off the cuff statement. He admitted it was pre planned.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zeebre12

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Very low school attendance and school completion rates
    Pathetic 3rd level participation.
    Despite free education at 1st & 2nd level

Thats because they know they'd be getting more on the dole. Why work 40+ hours a week when you can let the state pay for everything. It's the whole culture thing. Why work when you can have a cushy life with handouts. This is what their parents are telling them. If they were a working person they couldn't afford to be driving around in big 182 vans, lavish wedding etc. Travellers are better off than most working people. What incentive is there for them to better themselves in education? They thing is once you work you pay for everything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,988 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Casey just stated on Radio1 he'll set up a political party if FF reject him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

What’s going on in Tuam.

Casey got 11,000votes there and you can see how large this vote is when Michael D got 18,000 votes. Something is happening in that town that’s aggravating non travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭omega man

zeebre12 wrote: »
    Thats because they know they'd be getting more on the dole. Why work 40+ hours a week when you can let the state pay for everything. It's the whole culture thing. Why work when you can have a cushy life with handouts. This is what their pa
    rents are telling them. If they were a working person they couldn't afford to be driving around in big 182 vans, lavish wedding etc. Travellers are better off than most working people. What incentive is there for them to better themselves in education? They thing is once you work you pay for everything

And a seven year old would know you can’t buy expensive top of the range cars while living officially on the dole, where are the travellers getting the money to buy these cars and the money to pay for lavish weddings.

Maybe Pavee Point could explain this.

realistically, would this actually happen?

• Advertisement

realistically, would this actually happen?

It’s already happening or so we are told, seemingly lots of travellers are working, isn’t this why people are wrong to listen to Peter Casey, shure there’s no problem with travellers and the three hundred thousand voters who beg to disagree are “ a basket of deplorables.”

If there are only about forty thousand travellers and they for the most part don’t cause problems how come over three hundred thousand people through the ballot box publicly said there is a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

omega man wrote: »

It’s not a bad article until he likens the Casey vote to trump populism that needs to be lanced like a boil.
    I wonder if a new party could be created fast enough to tap in to the potential that Casey has exposed. Or will this inject new life into renua?

Leo might be thinking that a quicker election might be the best way to smother this baby in the cot.

tretorn wrote: »
    It’s already happening or so we are told, seemingly lots of travellers are working, isn’t this why people are wrong to listen to Peter Casey, shure there’s no problem with travellers and the three hundred thousand voters who beg to disagree are “ a basket of deplorables.”

If there are only about forty thousand travellers and they for the most part don’t cause problems how come over three hundred thousand people through the ballot box publicly said there is a problem.

of course theres problems with travelers, and unfortunately there probably always will be. i do think the reaction to casey is far more complicated than just travelers, i do believe we have just experienced our first true trump moment, and we will more than likely experience more of them going forward

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I don't think urban voters and commentators understand how frustrated rural voters are

Crime
    Jobs almost exclusively going to Dublin regiob
    Broadband

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

We do. If you think ancillary charges are expensive- try paying the full cost!

I don't think urban voters and commentators understand how frustrated rural voters are

Crime
    Broadband

Maybe rural people not working the land need to stop living in one off rural housing. Cheaper to build- more expensive to service

Try_harder wrote: »
    We do. If you think ancillary charges are expensive- try paying the full cost!

we dont, as you ll find most, if not all citizens pay some form of taxation, and most people would pay for other educational costs directly, theres no such thing as free education in ireland

Those in the South part of Dublin where the influential have managed to block halting sites definitely dont understand.

The five wannabee Presidential candidates probably have had no experience of travellers, if they lived near a halting site they would be familiar with the difficulties some of this community cause and they definitely then wouldnt go on TV and say they would welcome a halting site.

Imagine if you were living in a rural community afraid to leave your house unoccupied and then you listen to these dishonest people who have no idea of how you live tell porkies on TV. You have no where to go for help, the Gardai are totally ineffective and its not their fault, the travellers like Cash who are caught have forty convictions and in spite of this they still steal. They have no intention of ever working, they would double up laughing at the idea of doing unskilled work for ten euros an hour, they could stel hundreds of euros worth of a working persons property in that time period. Upskilling means a committment to education and hard work and the majority of travellers wouldnt last a week in third level, they cant get there anyway because they have left school at sixteen with poor education and are parents by seventeen.

we dont, as you ll find most, if not all citizens pay some form of taxation, and most people would pay for other educational costs directly, theres no such thing as free education in ireland

Well imagine paying for it on top of taxation!

Well imagine paying for it on top of taxation!

i dont have to imagine, i have, by multiple of thousands

• Advertisement

i dont have to imagine, i have, by multiple of thousands

The full cost of education I mean!

The full cost of education I mean!

but we do all pay for our education, both directly and indirectly, some paying more in taxation though

but we do all pay for our education, both directly and indirectly, some paying more in taxation though

I dont have any children and have no issue contributing to child education through my taxes. I get zero return.

I dont have any children and have no issue contributing to child education through my taxes. I get zero return.

you do of course, ive no children either, both of us get great returns by making sure people, not just children, become educated

It is not coincidental that the areas where Casey enjoyed the highest levels of support around the country were in rural areas where there has been a recurring problem with crime.

This presidential election has inadvertently exposed a decades-old problem that requires urgent and prolonged consideration so that bridges can be built on mutual respect and understanding.

I stopped reading Willianms piece when I got to this bit.

The rural property owners dont need bridges built to understand why travellers are ruining their lives.

They need more special operating teams to be set up to deal with the scourge of gangs using the M50 to get to houses to ransack and then get back to Dublin as fast as possible. This may mean having armed Gardai patrolling the M50 visibly and also surveillance put on members of the travelling community. The judges need to give out proper sentences, ie thirty years with no parole for aggravated burglary and even longer sentences if occupants of houses are assaulted in their own homes. This will send a message to younger travellers, what they see now is their parents thieving right lft and centre and living off a life of crime with no consequences.

There also needs to be a section set up within the Criminal Assets Bureau to examine how travellers can afford to have luxury cars and other trappings of wealth. If they are buying houses and land with cash when they have no visible means of income then these properties should be seized until an explanation is given. I cant give my children money without declaring the gift to Revenue so why should travellers be able to buy property for their children with no . one questioning this.

Its long past time for action to be taken but up to this the general public had no way of making their anger known. The election gave three hundred thousand people an opportunity to speak and now the powers that be know something has to be done. Patronising these very angry people with"they know not what they do' nonsense will ignite the tiny flame.

John Connors knows what this vote could mean for travellers and thats why he is throwing a tantrum on Facebook. If the gutless politicans take action now the worst of the travellers can be dealt with, if we do nothing we will be in the same position in twenty years time but some of the young travellers are now out of control so things will be a lot worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Really feel for Gardai trying to go into halting sites to arrest these criminals.

They need to be given all the support they need and the public needs to start respecting them more.

The majority of Gardai are decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Crime
    Broadband

Crime
    Broadband

Maybe rural people not working the land need to stop living in one off rural housing. Cheaper to build- more expensive to service
    Service what? There are no services! Where are people going to live? They provide for themselves and their families by building a house. Ideally that should be in small villages and towns, but you cannot buy sites like that to build on

you do of course, ive no children either, both of us get great returns by making sure people, not just children, become educated

Thats my point. If you look at things just individually, as seems to be the fashion on boards of late you do not see that

Crime
    Broadband
    Service what? There are no services! Where are people going to live? They provide for themselves and their families by building a house. Ideally that should be in small villages and towns, but you cannot buy sites like that to build on

Water, sewage, electricity, broadband etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

Why are 98% of travellers not working- refusing to work - too lazy to work ??. why is this allowed happen ...
    Why should the rest of the population go to work and pay for it ??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement