Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Casey said what many people think. Vote no 1 for Casey.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Hopefully not, I'll have nobody to vote for then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

I'd vote for him now if anything.

Ethnic group me hole. G'wan outta that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Icsics wrote: »
    So refreshing to hear someone say it as it is! I'm voting for him now

you surely mean "say what i believe/what suits my agenda"
    because a lot of what he said certainly wasn't "saying as it is"

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,246 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I agree with what he said on this one subject - but I wouldn't vote for him based on my agreement on one subject. That is a poor reason to vote for anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Dan Boyle is apopleltic over on twitter.

Deffo getting my vote now

Free speech if you agree with what I say:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Icsics wrote: »
    So refreshing to hear someone say it as it is! I'm voting for him now

This quote and the other identical ones all through this thread highlight one of democracy's biggest flaws.

That is that despite life being complex, voters can be swayed by something as simplistic as a simple pandering to their fears and prejudices.

Don't get me wrong, all my interactions with travellers have been negative and as someone from Connemara, I know all too well what gangs of them get up to. When there are large funerals in the village, we make sure that there's someone in every house because we know that they'll be doing house calls while everyone else is in the church. My opinion on travellers is pretty similar to the majority here.

Where I differ is that there is more to being president than simply disliking tinkers. People should also be very wary of someone who panders to that nonsense. All of the cúnty leaders throughout history love to get their base riled up by bítching about an "other". Whether it's an imagined outside enemy or an internal minority or some criminal gang, it's exactly the same con. Appeal to fear and watch them see you as their saviour.

Do you really think this guy is going to change anything regarding travellers? You may as well be voting for someone because they said "Fúck" on tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

wexie wrote: »
    What traditions would that be?

That are worth keeping that is? And by that I mean that don't negatively impact their own health and wellbeing, still somewhat fit in a modern society and aren't contrary to any laws or morals?

I've asked this question before and I think literally the only thing anyone could come up with was 'they sing'.

(oh and yes I know about tinsmithing, I think it's fascinating and certainly needs to be kept as a skill, but it seems even travelers don't seem to keen on that)

But why does that come into it?
    Us accepting or disliking a tradition has little to do with its validity as one. Don't reckon too many of us would be keen on a certain Jewish tradition either but we leave them to it...

That said, I feel certain traditions have obviously seen better days and are well at odds with modern society.

I wouldn't claim to be overly privy to many of them, but evidently there was enough data collected of shared tradition, ritual and shared beliefs amongst Travellers from all over the place that were considered before any definitive statements on ethnicity were put down.

What I'm getting from this thread though, is that it seems that most people are simply unwilling to accept that ethnicity isn't based solely on genetics.

That and 'The enemy of my enemy is my friend' vibes for some guy who said the thing they like to hear. :pac:
    But that does and has existed throughout the country. There are and have been varying dialects of the Irish language and traditions throughout the country and on our Islands.

I think the difference is it having being sustained for generations, though evolving, across a wide area of the country by a specific select group, and only passed down orally.

Also, Shelta has very little resemblance to Irish both in how it sounds and syntactically.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Squatter wrote: »
    Unlikely to be 7 years. Methinks that the ageing gnome will pass away in about 5 years' time and a nation will mourn, or not give a tuppenny damn, as the case may be.

FFS, he's not a Gnome. :rolleyes:

He's a Koala Bear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭MFPM

His comments were accurate, but it won't put a dent on the Higgins juggernaut.

They weren't accurate and if you spent a nano second thinking about it you'd realise that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Is this all it takes to sway certain members of our voting population? You'd swear from this thread that all you need to do is say "I don't like tinkers" and away you go. Who cares about what you think about the economy or the world, just say "Tinkers are bad" and the gullible will swallow it up.

I knew the yanks and the brits were gullible but I thought we were a bit smarter than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Are these dragon den people really the best we can get to run for the presidency?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭EarlyStorms

Great strategy from Casey he should've done this sooner if wanted to make more of an impact.

I've spoken to a lot of people in work about his comments and everybody has said he's spot on. Its funny seeing the media outrage over it all but its very out of line with the public's thoughts. I'm not a person who likes to generalise but unfortunately the majority of my run ins with members of the travelling community have been negative. My earliest memory of an interaction with a traveller was when I was chased in my estate by one who was brandishing a secateurs! I quickly learnt they were people to be wary of.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ArrBee

This quote and the other identical ones all through this thread highlight one of democracy's biggest flaws.

That is that despite life being complex, voters can be swayed by something as simplistic as a simple pandering to their fears and prejudices.

Don't get me wrong, all my interactions with travellers have been negative and as someone from Connemara, I know all too well what gangs of them get up to. When there are large funerals in the village, we make sure that there's someone in every house because we know that they'll be doing house calls while everyone else is in the church. My opinion on travellers is pretty similar to the majority here.

Where I differ is that there is more to being president than simply disliking tinkers. People should also be very wary of someone who panders to that nonsense. All of the cúnty leaders throughout history love to get their base riled up by bítching about an "other". Whether it's an imagined outside enemy or an internal minority or some criminal gang, it's exactly the same con. Appeal to fear and watch them see you as their saviour.

Do you really think this guy is going to change anything regarding travellers? You may as well be voting for someone because they said "Fúck" on tv.

I think ppl are applauding him for putting out there as a discussion point more so than expecting him to win and subsequently "fix" anything.

It's relief that I see being expressed in this thread, that it can be talked about beyond the confines of AH as it would appear the sentiment here is shared elsewhere.

I would also add that those saying they will now vote for this casey fella are doing so as a protest to send some message on how they feel about the topic.
    I mean, it's the presidency, doesn't really matter anyway right?

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

Peter Casey our own Donald Trump.
    He speaks the truth,is not PC and rattles the establishment!Good onya Peter!

Vote PC!

downwesht wrote: »
    He speaks the truth,is not PC and rattles the esablishment!Good onya Peter!

Vote PC!

Yep and he's registering within the margin of error in the polls....go PC indeed! He, you and the others in the 1-2% are welcome to each other, the rest of society will get on fine without you

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

He's basically right about everything except Traveler ethnic status - according to a 2011 Royal College of Surgeons study, it would appear that they branched genetically from the rest of us about 1,000 years back, and are as distinct from the general population here as are the Icelanders from the Norwegians.

And I don't know why/how there's such noise about the poor ickle Travelers whenever something like this crops up, I mean the vast majority of people would cross the road to avoid them. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

MFPM wrote: »
    They weren't accurate and if you spent a nano second thinking about it you'd realise that.

What precisely was inaccurate ? I'd love to see your thoughts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

If he apologises or rows back any bit at all in the debate tonight, he's not worth voting for.

He needs to double down on what he said. He should have a go at that Cash one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Yep and he's registering within the margin of error in the polls....go PC indeed! He, you and the others in the 1-2% are welcome to each other, the rest of society will get on fine without you

2%, -/+3%. So on the face of it, as low as -1%.

The one percent here are certainly being very negative, all right.

(I'll get me coat.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

downwesht wrote: »
    He speaks the truth,is not PC and rattles the esablishment!Good onya Peter!

Vote PC!

he tells you what you want to hear, rather then "speaks the truth"
    some of what he said is accurate, a hell of a lot of it isn't however and is opinion. he's entitled to his opinion, but as he said himself he won't be expressing such opinions should he become president.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

alaimacerc wrote: »
    2%, -/+3%. So on the face of it, as low as -1%.

The one percent here are certainly being very negative, all right.

(I'll get me coat.)

It's been nicked by one of the ethnic minority you love so much.

Great strategy from Casey he should've done this sooner if wanted to make more of an impact.

I've spoken to a lot of people in work about his comments and everybody has said he's spot on. Its funny seeing the media outrage over it all but its very out of line with the public's thoughts. I'm not a person who likes to generalise but unfortunately the majority of my run ins with members of the travelling community have been negative. My earliest memory of an interaction with a traveller was when I was chased in my estate by one who was brandishing a secateurs! I quickly learnt they were people to be wary of.

I've had the opposite experience, the people I work with think he's a clown looking for cheap publicity - are you suggesting my colleagues are 'out of line with the public's thoughts'?
    I'm not a person who likes to generalise

Yet you're endorsing someone who has done just that - imagine if I said based on this post that you seem to be a bit thick - it would be a bit of a generalisation wouldn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I genuinely feel that all the support Casey is getting is because he said something that many are afraid to say. Because you get labeled as "right wing loon", "racist", "victim blamer".

There is some crazy stats about members of the traveller ethnic group and crime. They account for like .8% of the population yet account for 20% of prison population.

They also cling on their "culture" as an excuse to live in squalor yet driving around in expensive cars. Expecting the government to cover to cost of housing them & their pony's.

They also have no interest to education as they don't seem to value it. When they can make money via crime, cash work & tax avoidance.

This isn't all members of said ethnic group, but fairly sizable minority, or even a small majority.

he tells you what you want to hear, rather then "speaks the truth"
    some of what he said is accurate, a hell of a lot of it isn't however and is opinion. he's entitled to his opinion, but as he said himself he won't be expressing such opinions should he become president.

And he said that when exactly ?

I've had the opposite experience, the people I work with think he's a clown looking for cheap publicity - are you suggesting my colleagues are 'out of line with the public's thoughts'?

Yet you're endorsing someone who has done just that - imagine if I said based on this post that you seem to be a bit thick - it would be a bit of a generalisation wouldn't it?

Either that or you "work" in Pavee Point, yes.

What precisely was inaccurate ? I'd love to see your thoughts.

Well for a start he seems to have taken no note of the fact that many many travellers are now settled and living in houses (this has been state policy for several decades), others live in formal transient/permanent halting sites. Perhaps his absence from the country means he's ignorant of actual facts.

Either that or you "work" in Pavee Point, yes.

Wrong!

Well for a start he seems to have taken no note of the fact that many many travellers are now settled and living in houses (this has been state policy for several decades), others live in formal transient/permanent halting sites. Perhaps his absence from the country means he's ignorant of actual facts.

So, nothing other than your opinion. No actual tangible proof.

As I suspected.

• Advertisement

Wrong!

Apologies. No one in the Traveller "movement" would ever sully themselves to work.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement