Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Icsics wrote: »
    My eyes are bleeding trying to read Cash's post, she can't even spell travellers!

That's the gubbermints fault

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Omackeral wrote: »
    Or... more to the point, try it in this country, with many other groups and see how it sounds.

That's not more to the point at all; it's merely the exact same point, construed more narrowly, for rather opaque reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

That's fair enough. Castro and Chavez were cnúts.

And why is this not being held against Higgins?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Discussing it on Today FM now

Same story.

Didn't challenge any of his points yet demanded an apology for Travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

alaimacerc wrote: »
    That's not more to the point at all; it's merely the exact same point, construed more narrowly, for rather opaque reasons.

Ugh. The point is this, take Chinese/Pakistani/Arab/Eastern European/Sub Saharan/Irish-speaking/any group of people from any culture that calls this land home and ask the general public their perception of them and then weigh it up against their perception of Travellers and see which comes back more positive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

The theory being that if enough people hold a prejudice, it must not be a prejudice, but something that's entirely the fault of the group the prejudice is against?

As a mental exercise, try that line of argument for various different groups, in various different countries, at various different times, and see how it sounds.

Ideally not out loud, mind you.

Thats right, the band is marching out of step with Johnny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

Ugh. The point is this, take Chinese/Pakistani/Arab/Eastern European/Sub Saharan/Irish-speaking/any group of people from any culture that calls this land home and ask the general public their perception of them and then weigh it up against their perception of Travellers and see which comes back more positive.

the Chinese are a great bunch of lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The independent presidential candidate, Peter Casey, is to visit a controversial housing project outside Thurles tomorrow where members of the Travelling community are in dispute with Tipperary County Council.

According to his campaign diary, Mr Casey will travel to Thurles at lunchtime after a canvass in Cork, and then visit the six houses at Cabragh Bridge. 

A number of Traveller families have refused to move into the newly-built homes at the €1.7 million development.

I long for the day when someone has an opinion that isn't pc (or accepted pc) and isn't called Donald Trump

It's so lazy and boring

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Obviously this is a publicity stunt by Peter Casey, but it's a pretty effective one, to be honest when I woke up this morning I had zero interest in the presidential race and I'd never heard of Peter Casey either....then I turned on the radio.

So long as he doesn't retract his statements then he has my number 1.

So your theory is, we should perhaps ecognise those other minorities as ethnic groups, and guard against prejudice against those... But because the Travellers have more prejudice against them, they're less deserving of protection against prejudice?

That's some catch, that Catch-22.

The independent presidential candidate, Peter Casey, is to visit a controversial housing project outside Thurles tomorrow where members of the Travelling community are in dispute with Tipperary County Council.

According to his campaign diary, Mr Casey will travel to Thurles at lunchtime after a canvass in Cork, and then visit the six houses at Cabragh Bridge. 

A number of Traveller families have refused to move into the newly-built homes at the €1.7 million development.

doesn't he have some commercial involvement in this project.
    more brown envelops i suppose ....

Obviously this is a publicity stunt by Peter Casey, but it's a pretty effective one, to be honest when I woke up this morning I had zero interest in the presidential race and I'd never heard of Peter Casey either....then I turned on the radio.

So long as he doesn't retract his statements then he has my number 1.

Pretty much how I feel about it. Wasn't sure I was going to vote before but I'll give it to PC .

His social housing comments add to it as well

naughtb4 wrote: »
    I long for the day when someone has an opinion that isn't pc (or accepted pc) and isn't called Donald Trump

It's so lazy and boring

I long for the day when someone posting about supposed "political correctness" has the self-awareness to at least not then use the phrase "lazy and boring".

I long for the day when someone posting about supposed "political correctness" has the self-awareness to at least not then use the phrase "lazy and boring".

Why it's a cliche, It's the attack of those who have no valid critiscm.

It's being used to tar anyone who hold a non pc view by those who are Twitter outraged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Pretty much how I feel about it. Wasn't sure I was going to vote before but I'll give it to PC .

His social housing comments add to it as well

I'd say a lot of people felt the way we did.

Also it's interesting to hear politicians speak the truth from time to time, it's so rare we hear it and the outcry is usually hilarious aswell.

But sadly it vindicates politicans telling lies. People often say they don't want anymore lies or spins (yet these are clearly the best way to get elected) but instead they want the truth (Peter Casey told the truth this morning and look at the outcry).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,284 ✭✭✭Homer

Well that's obviously our collective prejudice at play...

No, absolutely not. Its their collective inability to follow the laws of the land. Duh!

I'd say a lot of people felt the way we did.

Also it's interesting to hear politicians speak the truth from time to time, it's so rare we hear it and the outcry is usually hilarious aswell.

But sadly it vindicates politicans telling lies. People often say they don't want anymore lies or spins (yet these are clearly the best way to get elected) but instead they want the truth (Peter Casey told the truth this morning and look at the outcry).

Yes, even if an opinion is uncomfortable sometimes its needs to be heard (and of course challenged) and not just shouted down

The current approach has got us our current wishy washy one for everyone in the audience vanilla politicians

• Registered Users Posts: 30,429 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Interesting comment he made and surprised he made it. It's a view that I've come across a good bit.
    Even on social media he's getting a lot better reaction than I'd expect apart from the odd comment saying he's racist or horrible, I even saw a comment saying he should loose everything. He's got a fairly good reaction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭0cp71eyxkb94qf

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭ArrBee

It's true that the presidency doesn't really matter but you do need someone who won't put their foot in it abroad and that's about it.

Regarding speaking out about travellers, I haven't had an issue doing so in the real world. Back home, when the travellers are about, we matter-of-factly discuss securing our homes and belongings and keep an eye out on the roads for them. I would imagine that this is the case all over the country side.

I do agree that the dublin media and the right-on types do get outraged at the idea that traveller behaviour could be responsible for how they are viewed by the rest of us but that's hardly being silenced. The consensus around Ireland seems to be that having travellers about is bad news and and this consensus is from actual experience and bad interactions.

I just think that voting for someone because of their views on one topic is silly, particularly when it's a leader playing the us-and-them game.

I agree with what you are saying, but would add that there are additional motivators which can be valid when choosing who to vote for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Tonights debate should be good, and lets hope he holds his ground, this house and stable thing is a bridge too far, expecting every thing for free, is a big issue,
    Usually when we who pay for our homes ourselves, have to leave the garage out, until we can get a few bob together to build one a few yrs down the line, these want it all, and they want it now,
    I would not trespass on others property without their permission, never mind camping on it
    He is right

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

Dear God people are actually comparing him to Trump. ****ing morons.

Listening to Matt Cooper too

• Registered Users Posts: 19,280 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Interesting comment he made and surprised he made it. It's a view that I've come across a good bit.
    Even on social media he's getting a lot better reaction than I'd expect apart from the odd comment saying he's racist or horrible, I even saw a comment saying he should loose everything. He's got a fairly good reaction.

The lad is dead right and fair play to him for saying it as it is.

He will get my vote as a result.

The situation in Thurles is a complete joke, 1.5 million invested in houses for travelers and these people want stables as well!!

What I would do is give those houses those who deserve them and tell the travelers to go take a running jump at themselves.

At long last we have someone who is not afraid to put their head over the parapet and say it as it is.

Well done President Casey.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,429 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The lad is dead right and fair play to him for saying it as it is.

He will get my vote as a result.

The situation in Thurles is a complete joke, 1.5 million invested in houses for travelers and these people want stables as well!!

What I would do is give those houses those who deserve them and tell the travelers to go take a running jump at themselves.

At long last we have someone who is not afraid to put their head over the parapet and say it as it is.

Well done President Casey.

Oh, Yes I agree with you.
    I was just expecting more of a bleeding heart brigade to be active on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Then he knew what he was speaking, these homes have solar panels, a lot of us don't have this, he saw for himself

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭ArrBee

https://leftoutside.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/john-thomson-fast-show-jazz-image-1-996834484.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

If only some politicians took a leaf from his book and grew a backbone also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭0cp71eyxkb94qf

This post has been deleted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement