Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

While he reads poetry to them and they attend one of his garden parties.
    A large group of travellers at a party, probably with free alcohol. Sure what could possibly go wrong??

They could beat the living sh1te out of him and strip his mansion of all its copper.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

RobertKK wrote: »
    I find it ironic that Michael D condemned Peter Casey, but we still wait for him to condemn his friend who runs death squads.

I find it challenging to keep track of the number of unrelated threads you've tried to crowbar with ludicrous talking point into.

How's it panning out for you, in terms of opinion polls and bookies odds?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

[/B]

They could beat the living sh1te out of him and strip his mansion of all its copper.

OK apart from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

alaimacerc wrote: »
    I find it challenging to keep track of the number of unrelated threads you've tried to crowbar with ludicrous talking point into.

How's it panning out for you, in terms of opinion polls and bookies odds?

It doesn't matter what opinion polls and bookie odds says, it doesn't change that our president lacks moral fortitude to condemn a friend who kills his own people.

There are enough people blind to, or simply don't care and it is a free ride for the president to get back to the Aras.
    It says more about people who don't care than it does of those who do care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

The timeline estimates do seem very vague, or to put the kindest spin on it, broad. But they're pretty consistently earlier than the previously popular "Famine Era" folk tales, and other such accounts.

...and consistently not based on ethnicity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,587 ✭✭✭Allinall

https://www.rte.ie/news/2016/1127/834767-flanagan-castro-higgins/

His 'great sadness' at the death of a dictator, then went to the funeral as if to show support for all the human rights abuses committed by Castro.
    It did not go unnoticed
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/president-higgins-rejects-criticism-of-fidel-castro-tribute-1.2883973

President Higgins doesn't tell the truth, he says he speaks up for universal human rights, yet up to very recently on president.ie he had a picture of himself and Daniel Ortega there for all to see as if it was something to be proud of.
    The picture has since been removed from https://president.ie/en/media-library/photos/michael-d.-higgins-through-the-years
    Because that is easier than actually condemning a man who has death squads, a man that Michael D Higgins had visit his home in Galway.
    Michael D Higgins lacks the moral fortitude to continue as president, he needs to condemn his friends who murder people, rather than giving them support in the knowledge most people are ignorant of the actions of Daniel Ortega and people like the Castros, Chavez when he died etc, people are fleeing these countries, but the president can count on people not caring about his support of human rights abusers elsewhere, because the Irish media is in his pocket, and want him re-elected, sure we have seen people from the media tweeting from the Aras during his time in office about being there for tea.
    Michael D will get re-elected without questioning of why he has not condemned his friend in Nicaragua who runs death squads.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/nicaragua-dropped-from-list-as-president-higgins-visits-central-american-countries-1.1567519

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/stop-letting-michael-d-off-lightly-here-are-the-questions-he-should-be-made-to-answer-37205387.html

I find it ironic that Michael D condemned Peter Casey, but we still wait for him to condemn his friend who runs death squads.

So it’s “assuming offense on behalf of others” then.

Who’s this “we” you speak of?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Higgins was in full on shocked and appalled outraged mode over this on his RTÉ interview earlier so I looked up Casey’s comments to see what the fuss is about.

He disagrees with them being recognized as a ethnic minority.

Says they avoid tax and that house prices drop when travelers move onto an area.

Says they camp on other ppl’s land.

Says the Tipperary situation with travelers demanding stables with their new houses is ridiculous.

Quote:

He cited an ongoing dispute in Tipperary where six new homes are lying empty in a €1.7m development because families living on an unauthorised site nearby are refusing to move in until they get stables for horses.

“I mean how ridiculous have we become as a society where they are turning down beautiful, four-bedroom houses because there’ll blackmailing the county council into giving them stables for their horses.

“I’m sorry, there’s something seriously wrong with society when we’re at that stage,” Mr Casey said.

Nothing overly controversial there so what’s the fuss ?

Well the fuss is that Casey is only really saying this because he knows (or his team rather knows) that there is not a lot of love towards Travelers in this country so that will curry favor with most voters in the country.

It's a lazy argument pure and simple, the same as going after the grooming of Higgins' dogs.

Everyone knows, apart from the blinkered and hypocritical in Pavee Point that Travelers are mostly a scourge on the community and give a bad name to the many decent Travelers out there. Everyone knows that turning down perfectly good houses because there's no stables for horses is a nonsense and taking the piss. Nobody needs, or should need, a multi millionaire to tell them that.

This lad could not give a toss if anti social Travelers moved next door to your house tomorrow as long as he tries to get his vote.

As 'president' of Ireland, he would have no power in the matter anyway.

wexie wrote: »
    But the way things are being done, up to and including of granting them minority status aren't exactly achieving stellar results are they? And when I say 'the way things are being done' I mean that to include but settled and traveler people.

I don't think anyone is arguing that "previous status quo plus ethnic group status" is any sort of "done deal". Certainly not any of the advocacy groups that favoured official status. It's pretty awful, frankly. But Casey's not articulating some sort of different approach. Just a rollback on that, and a rollback on social attitudes. Which were bad enough to start with, as this thread rather exemplifies. "I agree with Casey's lazy, slipshod stereotyping and scapegoating, and here's a few of my own!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

I’d love to see a revised opinion poll tomorrow - make for interesting viewing.

...and consistently not based on ethnicity.

Eh? This seems vacuously circular. What on earth do you mean by "based on ethnicity"? We're already covered what the actual definition of an "ethnic group" is, but by all means, entertain us with yours!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Whatever his motivations, it’s refreshing to see someone calling Travellers out on their bullshít.

That gravy train has been rolling for long enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Refresh

I don't believe in ethnic groups. He has my vote now

Allinall wrote: »
    So it’s “assuming offense on behalf of others” then.

Who’s this “we” you speak of?

The people of Nicaragua who protest take offense at the killing and shootings by Ortega's paramilitaries.
    An attack on a protest by opponents of Nicaraguan President Daniel Ortega left one person dead and at least five others wounded in the capital Managua, police said.

The deceased was identified as 16-year-old Max Romero, who died as a result of "crossfire," the police said in a statement on Sunday that attributed his death to the protesters, a version of events denied by the boy's aunt.

Months of turmoil in the Central American country have left more than 320 people dead, according to rights groups, but the unrest had declined in recent weeks before resurfacing at Sunday's march, which called for the release of political prisoners.

"I was shot and wounded by Daniel Ortega's paramilitaries," a 41-year-old protester who was wounded in the arm and who did not wish to reveal his name told AFP, as he was treated in a church in an eastern neighborhood of the city.

Fifteen-year-old Bryan Garcia, who was hit by a bullet, said: "It was the paramilitaries, they wounded me in the neck near the shoulder."

Among the wounded was journalist Winston Potosme of the 100% Noticias channel, who was hurt in the arm.

The march was convened by relatives of at least 500 protesters imprisoned for participating in anti-government demonstrations, which began on April 18.

Protesters took to the streets despite Ortega's threats they would be prosecuted if they demonstrated against him.

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/one-dead-anti-ortega-march-nicaragua-220952086.htmlBut Michael D wants to get back into office so he can visit his friend in Nicaragua. He is not fit for office if he continues to stay silent on his murderous friend.

It doesn't matter what opinion polls and bookie odds says, it doesn't change that our president lacks moral fortitude to condemn a friend who kills his own people.

There are enough people blind to, or simply don't care and it is a free ride for the president to get back to the Aras.
    It says more about people who don't care than it does of those who do care.

Presumably the democratic will of the people didn't and won't matter to you either, and we'll get another seven years of these ludicrous exercises in axe-grinding, wherever you can find house room for them.

The people of Nicaragua who protest take offense at the killing and shootings by Ortega's paramilitaries.

But Michael D wants to get back into office so he can visit his friend in Nicaragua. He is not fit for office if he continues to stay silent on his murderous friend.

I believe the term-of-art for hitting reply to someone's comment, essentially ignoring it, and then saying "that reminds me of another axe I have to grind!" is "soapboxing".

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Refresh

No

Presumably the democratic will of the people didn't and won't matter to you either, and we'll get another seven years of these ludicrous exercises in axe-grinding, wherever you can find house room for them.

I accept the democratic vote, it doesn't change my opinion.
    There is a saying that one can tell a lot about a person going on the company they keep.

I believe the term-of-art for hitting reply to someone's comment, essentially ignoring it, and then saying "that reminds me of another axe I have to grind!" is "soapboxing".

It was someone else who mentioned Michael D earlier and I replied that Michael D is no saint, or even appropriate as president.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Had no intention of voting, now however I will . Fair play to Casey for saying what alot of citizens think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Unlikely to be 7 years. Methinks that the ageing gnome will pass away in about 5 years' time and a nation will mourn, or not give a tuppenny damn, as the case may be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Humphrey BoaGart

Give him his own talkshow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Icsics

So refreshing to hear someone say it as it is! I'm voting for him now

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Jaysus this has sparked something.

People are volunteering to go out and canvass for him and everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

People are volunteering to go out and canvass for him and everything.

That's hilarious. Watch the media set loose their sh*t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Squatter wrote: »
    Unlikely to be 7 years. Methinks that the ageing gnome will pass away in about 5 years' time and a nation will mourn, or not give a tuppenny damn, as the case may be.

I know people voting for Muggeldy purely for the day off. if he moves on to the great Aras in the sky while in office

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

He’s the first and only one the throw aside the billsh1t political correctness and speak honestly.

He’s also 100% correct in what he said..

I hadn’t even contemplated voting for anyone else bar the incumbent but Casey now has my vote..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

OK apart from that.
    I know people voting for Muggeldy purely for the day off. if he moves on to the great Aras in the sky while in office

People are sick, but also cunning and clever. Can we clarify there will be a day off in such an occurrence??

Dan Boyle is apopleltic over on twitter.

Deffo getting my vote now

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Me Too Casey #1

• Advertisement

People are sick, but also cunning and clever. Can we clarify there will be a day off in such an occurrence??

Certainly public servants, on their rolls royce pensions

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement