Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Anything that annoys that yoke can’t be too bad haha

She had to buy a craven for god's sake, where is your empathy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

goat2 wrote: »
    Who is Margaret Cash,

Staged a photo op with her 7 kids in a Garda station so she could skip to the front of the queue for a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Which bit was the 'truth'?

The bit about travellers.

But as your previous post said, you've never experienced any negative encounters with travellers. Which is fine, fair play. But don't suggest that just because you haven't experienced it personally, that he wasn't reflecting the truth for the vast majority of people in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,114 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Omackeral wrote: »
    That's literally what a typical PC poster on here claimed before. Seriously, check this out.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105353373&postcount=30

Yeah that was some statement. :D

I have wondered how come that poster isn't crawling all over this story as per usual.
    Margaret Cash feels violated

Well she would know all about violations.
    Especially the violation of other people's property.

The absolute worse thing that Casey could now do is to listen to some media yokes telling him to apologise and to water down his comments.

He has to stand by his comments and if anything go on the offensive.

Of course some muppets think he is already offensive when it is themselves that are an offense to common sense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

...but is this a matter of black/white or right/wrong? There are troublemakers in all areas of society - no one group is all the same.

What are the anti-traveller posters suggesting should change?

They should be treated the same as everyone else when it comes to:

Law and order
    Animal rights
    Taxation
    Criminality
    Missing education
    Domestic violence
    Women's rights

Etc etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    In your opinion. You seem to be in a minority here and elsewhere that commentary is allowed including Radio.

Yeah she is "here", but "here" is a self-selecting "rant about Travellers" thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

Buy that man an abundance of pints!

Omackeral wrote: »
    She had to buy a craven for god's sake, where is your empathy?

Won't somebody please think of the cravens ??

Some f**king weapon that one is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Nothing he said was in any way a reasonable debate - just throwaway, dismissive comments.

While I'd have to agree with you it's not particularly well phrased or inviting of debate (If that is how he actually said it).....that doesn't make it any less true though does it?
    • Many of them do occupy someone else's land and then are very hard to remove or leave lots of rubbish and/or damage.
    • The majority of them aren't exactly tax compliant.
    • And they are indeed not from anywhere else, from what I understand the only thing the DNA analysis came up with is that they have a habit of intermingling a little bit closer than most of us.

So do you take issue with what he said? Or how he said it?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

...but is this a matter of black/white or right/wrong? There are troublemakers in all areas of society - no one group is all the same.

That doesn't address the question. Why do the vast majority of people you meet online and in real life have overwhelmingly negative perceptions of Travellers? It's a standalone question. Doesn't need quantifying from other subsections of society or whataboutery attached.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

Exactly, no one group is all the same, so why should any group, and I mean any group not just travellers have labelled ethnicities placed on them, We're taught not to label, not to judge, not to tar everyone with the same brush. Then conflictingly we are taught to have pride in who we are, where we come from, what our heritage and traditions are, so travellers are proud to be travellers, I get that. But when it comes at the expense of imposing on others, then I draw a line at that. I don't consider myself anti traveller because I am not. Nor am I here to put them on a pedestal or make them exempt from scrutiny, I think that's all anyone asks, freedom to express the truth of the matter, and the truth is, it is not just a tiny minority who steal, terrorise and do what they like, and that should change if they want to live alongside people peacefully, don't you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

sightband wrote: »
    https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/presidential-election-2018/listen-presidential-candidate-peter-casey-believes-travellers-should-not-be-recognised-as-an-ethnic-minority-37428508.html

Pretty bold statement...not a bad strategy though, unlikely many travellers vote, if any. The vast majority of voters despise them but can’t say as much.

“His comments were last night described by Pavee Point as “ill-informed and grossly insulting and offensive”.

And David Joyce, a member of the Travelling community and the Irish Human Rights and Equality Commission, told the Irish Independent: “He should withdraw from the campaign. He’s shown he’s not fit to represent all the people of Ireland.
    “This man is a racist. He is scapegoating my community.”

What does scapegoating my community mean in relation to his opinion that they should not be recognised as an ethnic minority? In fact what does “scapegoating my community” even mean?

I'd actually agree 100% with Mr joyce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Discussion on Joe Duffy about travellers harassing some poor oul lad........ Radio Gold!

Joe is both outraged for the general public and travellers, as only he can be.

The voice of the people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Im not "antitraveller"
    Im anti fraud, theft and other criminality, intimidation, antisocial behaviour, tresspassing, domestic violence, aversion to education, entitlement, interfamilial violence, animal abuse, pollution and waste dumping.

Travellers unfortunately tick a lot of those boxes. If a distintive sub group of the population shared these charachteristics, i'd be anti that group. So they can start there.
    Hope that clears things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

dulux99 wrote: »
    And such is life these days. You can only be presedential material if you pander to the party line and speak in riddles and half truths. The man spoken the truth and apparently because of this he's not presedential material. Typical.

Step one in the Trump/Peterson strategy: redefine "truth" to mean "aligns with own prejudices". All else follows at pace.

AnneFrank wrote: »

Shocker that.

Yet everything he said is incorrect and nakedly self serving.

Care to comment ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

There was nothing discriminatory in his comments, trying to pull a racist card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

alaimacerc wrote:
    Yeah she is "here", but "here" is a self-selecting "rant about Travellers" thread.

Actually the commentary on several other sites including Radio seems to be totally at odds with her, not just here.

AnneFrank wrote:

There a shock. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Step one in the Trump/Peterson strategy: redefine "truth" to mean "aligns with own prejudices". All else follows at pace.

So what he said was not reflective of most people's experience? Is that what you're saying?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Im not "antitraveller"
    Im anti fraud, theft and other criminality, intimidation, antisocial behaviour, tresspassing, domestic violence, aversion to education, entitlement, interfamilial violence, animal abuse, pollution and waste dumping.

Travellers unfortunately tick a lot of those boxes. If a distintive sub group of the population shared these charachteristics, i'd be anti that group. So they can start there.
    Hope that clears things up.

+1. This post sums it up perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

AnneFrank wrote: »

Yawwwn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

The establishment response to Casey's comments has vindicated them more than silence ever would.

I particularly liked this doublethink from the Director of the Irish Council for Civil Liberties (ICCL) Liam Herrick, who in the Irish Times said political freedom of speech was extremely important during an election campaign.

“However, comments that stereotype or demean a whole ethnic group can never be acceptable...we welcome the strong condemnation of Peter Casey’s comments by other candidates".

Just think about that for a second: the unelected head of our taxpayer funded civil liberties quango believes certain fact-based comments "can never be acceptable" and applauds their condemnation by the rest of the establishment.

For the record: I'm certainly not defending all travellers - anyone breaking the law should be dealt with in accordance with the law.
    I'm just disturbed by the mob mentality tone here, that feels like it's heading down the pitchforks route.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I doubt he'll lose much, if any, of his existing support (such as it is). Judging by his general conduct throughout the campaign so far, he's guaranteed the pig-ignorant shit vote anyway. Such people might be over-represented on AH, but they represent only a tiny proportion of the electorate.

Michael D, on the other hand, encapsulates the inherent decency of the majority of Irish people.

https://twitter.com/MichaelDHiggins/status/1052465865289912320

Yep, thats why he supports Palestinian terrorism and murdering tyrant Che Guvara.

For the record: I'm certainly not defending all travellers - anyone breaking the law should be dealt with in accordance with the law. I'm just disturbed by the mob mentality tone here, that feels like it's heading down the pitchforks route.

Could be worse, could be heading down the slashhook route.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I'd a little traveller kid call to the door collecting money for school books in his local school.

Says I, "And much would you be needing for said school books?"
    Kid: O'h about three fiddy boss

It was then I realised it was a scam and that good for nothing Loch Ness Monster up to his old tricks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Especially the ones that want to do as Casey did, to wit to go on a lengthy prejudicial rant about them as a distinct group. Kinda proving the point about the wisdom of the designation.

Travellers can't have their cake and eat it. If they want to be recognised as a distinct ethnic group they have to expect they'll get called out on the negative aspects of their group's culture as well as praised for its positives.

For example, I'm reading in my local paper today about a Castlebar court hearing last week relating to a vicious fight at the Ballyhaunis funeral of a traveller in 2016, resulting in one traveller losing a finger and getting a skull fracture, and another having a slashed face and broken eye socket.

Or a couple of years ago, there was a riot between travellers at a confirmation service in Ballinrobe, with the Archbishop of Tuam having to bring everyone else (including, obviously, many terrified children) onto the altar for safety.

It's almost like a 21st century version of the 19th century practice of faction fighting.

Of course, not all travellers do this kind of thing. But it does happen regularly, and I've never heard of any settled people doing the like of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Shocker that.

Yet everything he said is incorrect and nakedly self serving.

Care to comment ?

Ah yes, because you said so, are you the stuttering Peter Casey in disguise ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Ireland and the world in general is too PC. He has a view and he's high profile enough now that sharing it has caused a wave and that's sad. He should be entitled to air his view, he should be and is challenged on his view but by no means should he step out of the race because his view is deemed wrong by those who think they speak for us all. As we can see here and elsewhere today, he is view has plenty of support and we should absolutely be given the chance at the ballot box to either support his view or reject it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement