Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas bonus for welfare recipients not only restored but increased

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Try_harder wrote: »
    Almost all of the money goes straight back into the economy so its a double win

How about we cut out the middle men and I put my own money into the economy directly without it passing through the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,646 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Renua aren't an option,just the PDs rebranded.

Remember them, the party that kept people like Liam Lawlor,Ray Burke,Bertie Ahern in power.

That oversaw an orgy of corruption in the economy and an economic collapse.

They offer nothing but the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,971 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Hitman3000 wrote:
    Someone like what? Do you know the circumstances of everyone who is long term unemployed. FFS it's only one extra weeks payment at the most expensive time of the year. If you are unhappy quit your job next year you'll just about qualify.

I often looked at the figures and if I wanted to be a waster I'd be down around €100 per week after all expenses are taken out of my paycheck that I wouldn't have if I didn't work.
    Social welfare weekly payments for a husband, wife and one child is around €360 per week I believe. You get your rent paid for you which would be close to €200 per week in my case.
    My car fuel and meal expenses average out at €120 per week.
    I'm not a low earner, there are a lot of people out there earning a lot less than me.
    We are more entitled to a Christmas bonus than some guy that has been sitting on his backside for 12 months or more.
    I'd nearly be tempted to go on the 'jobseekers'
    I could see every sport event like every world cup match when it's on, the Olympics, the Rugby world cup and everything else too. Watch movies during the day, quiz shows and I might even start watching the soaps!
    I'd never be struggling to find time to cut the lawn and keep the garden and house in good shape.
    I could get involved and help out with my son's sports teams as I'd have so much time on my hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Reason #1 why we can't have decent public services. In Spain, housing, health care, public transport, sustainable energy investment, waste collection and recycling, cleaning/maintenance of public spaces etc. is top class, very modern and super dependable. This is in spite of having similar taxation to Ireland and half the youth being unemployed. Also corruption in Spain would make Charles Haughey blush, yet all these things get done properly, they even have high speed rail across the country and fares on public transport in the Cities rarely exceed €2. Spain's secret: they don't pay dole to someone who's gone a year or more without a job. What dole they do pay is minimal and just survivable. In Ireland the #1 priority is providing dole heads with a middle class lifestyle, it needs to change.

At a minimum the Christmas bonus should only be for one year and only for short term claimants. The additional allowances also need to stop. I see 'communion allowance' is scrapped, thankfully. Rent allowance also needs to be banned entirely, build social homes instead.

sick to death of dole threads on here I’m happy the old people and disabled people & vulnerable will be getting it

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

sick to death of dole threads on here I’m happy the old people and disabled people & vulnerable will be getting it

Try being sick to death of working all the hours God sends and getting screwed for it instead.

Try bring sick to death of working all the hours God sends and getting screwed for it instead.

Go on the dole then

Go on the dole then

Ah would that I could but I have these pesky things called self respect and a work ethic. Rules me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Ah would that I could but I have these pesky things called self respect and a work ethic. Rules me out.

Well then the only thing to do in that case is to keep whinging on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,792 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Try being sick to death of working all the hours God sends and getting screwed for it instead.
    +1
    Go on the dole then
    Some of us have personal responsibility enshrined in us from parents that worked too.

Or just personal pride. I was on the dole for approx 10 months in 2009 and it nearly killed me with depression.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

cgcsb wrote: »
    In Ireland the #1 priority is providing dole heads with a middle class lifestyle, it needs to change.

And that's the main issue.
    The professional dole recipients not only want the financial "entitlements" from the welfare system, they also want/demand "social" housing too. They get more money than a lot of working people, and with the billions being spent on social housing, they will also get state-of-the-art brand new houses/apartments with new appliances/furniture/flooring etc.
    They are becoming more middle class than the working middle class themselves with zero contribution.

It just ain't right. Vive la révolution!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

ELM327 wrote: »
    +1

Some of us have personal responsibility enshrined in us from parents that worked too.

Or just personal pride. I was on the dole for approx 10 months in 2009 and it nearly killed me with depression.

you should live with mental health issues indefinitely

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I do.
    I have severe social anxiety, ASD (Asperger's), ODD, issues with emotional regulation but to name a few.
    And the odd bout of depression thrown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I do.
    I have severe social anxiety, ASD (Asperger's), ODD, issues with emotional regulation but to name a few.
    And the odd bout of depression thrown in.

Well fair play to you for being able to hold down a job with all that happening. That's a serious achievement and you're doing really well, you should be proud.

But, not everyone is able to cope as well as you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Kivaro wrote: »
    And that's the main issue.
    The professional dole recipients not only want the financial "entitlements" from the welfare system, they also want/demand "social" housing too. They get more money than a lot of working people, and with the billions being spent on social housing, they will also get state-of-the-art brand new houses/apartments with new appliances/furniture/flooring etc.
    They are becoming more middle class than the working middle class themselves with zero contribution.

It just ain't right. Vive la révolution!

you need to check on that not true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Wanderer78 wrote: »

Easy. If youve ever worked in a customer facing role, it comes with the job.

TallGlass wrote: »
    Easy. If youve ever worked in a customer facing role, it comes with the job.

Students!

On my death certificate on cause of death it will be "Students" and everyone will get it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Graces7 wrote: »
    you need to check on that not true

It is. You get a grant for fitting out your apartment or house from the council. Friend of mine got it 3k I think it was. I know this cause I was with him when he got the stuff and I installed most of it and put down the floor!

ELM327 wrote:

Hope you had the medical card to deal with that depression. Just another bonus of the Irish social welfare system!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Why the insane obsession with buying off the parasites though? To FU*K with hiking jsa or jsb! As if that lot in most cases, would vote fg! I will laugh when the worker on 30,000k gets another e1.50 a week back in usc cut while the wasters get e5 plus another e200 off well deserved bonus = roughly e9 a week! a multiple of roughly six that the worker gets ! W!T!F if this happens this budget, any debate over fg being a pro worker or enterprise party are redundant and should be considered trolling!

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    Hope you had the medical card to deal with that depression. Just another bonus of the Irish social welfare system!
    No, you don't get a medical card unless you are on the non contribution based JSA. I was on JSB based on my PRSI stamps and on it for less than one year so didnt get any benefit like medical card, rent allowance, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

If anyone mentions drivers using their fog lights in no fog on here they’ll be told it’s done to death and the thread is killed off but dole bashing threads keep coming without conflict.

Well fair play to you for being able to hold down a job with all that happening. That's a serious achievement and you're doing really well, you should be proud.

But, not everyone is able to cope as well as you are.
    Bull sh1t.

I'm nothing special (and as someone who also has narcissistic personality disorder that's not easy to say :p)
    The only difference is me not being willing to live a life of handouts. If I can do it there's no excuse for any neurotypical person.

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    If anyone mentions drivers using their fog lights in no fog on here they’ll be told it’s done to death and the thread is killed off but dole bashing threads keep coming without conflict.
    If you've an issue with dole bashing threads, get a job, simples.
    We have full employment now, no excuse for not having a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,986 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

screamer wrote:
    From 85 to 100 percent. Ah fair play regina, sure why give Job Dodgers any incentive to get out of bed in the morning and do an honest days work for an honest days pay..... Talk about an own goal

Thread title is wrong. The full Christmas bonus has been restored. It has NOT been increased

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I think the best thing about the Dole Bashing threads is that most people doing it are in work whilst on boards

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I have a job and I'm fed up with dole bashing threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Im self employedthank you.

I wasn't attacking you just to be clear.

I was just making a point as regards illness on the dole. I think they go into a different scheme with at least the same money if not more if they are 'sick'.
    So basically off down to the doctor with a medical card, cert to say they are unfit to work and bobs your uncle.

And yes you have to be out more than twelve months to get on the VIP treatment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

Samsgirl wrote: »
    That's not the issue. It's the fact that we get nothing for free. We have to pay for everything out of our earned money. I get paid €648 a fortnight. Out of that I pay for fuel to drive to/from work. After school costs for two children and my share of the mortgage. Also tax and insurance etc for the car.

I work 38 hrs a week, including every second Saturday. On the Dole I would get €400 a fortnight but wouldn't have any of those costs and more associated with it.

So it's not that I'm being paid minimum wage (public sector worker). It's that I get no handouts and have to fund everything myself. That's the issue.

You (most likely) will receive an increment/rise next year though and the year after, opportunity for promotion, professional development etc. Your kids see mammy and daddy going to work, instills work ethic .A far higher chance to significantly improve your situation, when the mortgage is payed down you own the asset.

On the dole you get the €400 a fortnight and associated freebies, but that's it. That's your life.

Having been on it for an extended period, mostly BTEA while returning to college it is no picnic and having completed my degree and on the dole proper now while desperately job searching, it is an absolutely head melting and soul destroying existence. Anyone who could see this as a realic lifestyle choice must already have some serious issues far beyond laziness to be honest.

Advertisement