Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas bonus for welfare recipients not only restored but increased

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

yeah but sales of Chinese made grey tracksuit bottoms and the share price of UK owned JD Sports will sky rocket, it's all about the economy.

the wealth created from such activities trickles down, so thats covered

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

No but apparently you'll get a free house so it'll be grand.
    In so far as a house that you pay rent on with free money is free, yes you will.

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Am i reading that wrong, or does that seem the exact opposite of what it should be?

It means that you need be unemployed for 15 months before you get the bonus. I think same goes for fuel allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Am i reading that wrong, or does that seem the exact opposite of what it should be?

Spot on...

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    the wealth created from such activities trickles down, so thats covered
    trickle down economics works great, if we vastly reduces income tax for everyone, everyone would have more money to spend in the local shops and we'd all be doing great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

maybe theres a lot more complicated issues at play here, maybe issues such as 'asset price inflation' is having more of an effect on the cost of living than other factors?

It's just that there are no breaks at all for workers. We have paye, prsi, usc, pension levy etc.. no medical card. If my children are sick one of us have to take a day off, if it's the child over 6 that's €50, plus meds. Also creche for after school 5 days a week.

So come Christmas, everything still has to be paid and we get no reward / bonus for working our arses off all year.
    And we are not the only ones.
    It's very unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,925 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Imagine getting a bonus for doing nothing. Carers and disabled excluded of course. You could not make this up, but roll up, roll up, here's a taxpayer funded grant to you for not working although you are able to.

I hear there will be a fiver rise for SW recipients also. Well those working should ALSO benefit by at least that amount with taxation changes. Hmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

so we should lobby for an increase in pay, particularly for low wage earners?

I'm in total agreement with this.
    It needs to be a living wage .... and more.

There is also the philosophical issue, which I believe will eventually tear this world apart, of the unequal distribution of wealth. I'm not talking about the Marxist notion of wealth distribution, but more of the "practical" aspect of distributing wealth. Otherwise, we are going to have a planetary sheettstorm in a teacup very soon ........ and it ain't goin' to be pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Top laughs! Lads in budget 18, a worker on 30,000 received a w1.50 weekly usc reduction. The welfare warriors an extra fiver a week and I expect the same this budget. Well, you have an option, renua... or vote for more of the same!

I like all of their pillars except their pro life stance and anti euthanasia stance....it's up to people what they do with their lives, not politicians, so they ain't getting my vote any time soon.

No but apparently you'll get a free house so it'll be grand.

Excellent. Must look further into this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

yeah but sales of Chinese made grey tracksuit bottoms and the share price of UK owned JD Sports will sky rocket, it's all about the economy.

It's not all about the economy, not by a long shot.

The number of 'dole bashing' threads you see here reflects a loss of respect and confidence in the social contract. Or put another way - people don't like having the pi$$ taken out of them.

If we continue down this road we'll end up with an even more divided society.

trickle down economics works great, if we vastly reduces income tax for everyone, everyone would have more money to spend in the local shops and we'd all be doing great.

trickle down works so well that the real debt burden, i.e. private debt, is on the rise globally, so in order to keep 'the economy' happy, its extremely important that everyone keeps the recovering going and increases their fair share of private debt, i.e. please keep taking out debt, as the wealth created from this process trickles down, you ll also be respected more in society by doing so, people will love you
    Samsgirl wrote: »
    It's just that there are no breaks at all for workers. We have paye, prsi, usc, pension levy etc.. no medical card. If my children are sick one of us have to take a day off, if it's the child over 6 that's €50, plus meds. Also creche for after school 5 days a week.

So come Christmas, everything still has to be paid and we get no reward / bonus for working our arses off all year.
    And we are not the only ones.
    It's very unfair.

maybe these issues are far more complicated than welfare recipients?

Ronaldinho wrote: »
    It's not all about the economy, not by a long shot.

The number of 'dole bashing' threads you see here reflects a loss of respect and confidence in the social contract. Or put another way - people don't like having the pi$$ taken out of them.

If we continue down this road we'll end up with an even more divided society.

the social contract? you mean the balance of rights with responsibilities? I'm afraid we gave up on that quite some time ago. Only the rights are now sacrosanct, the responsibilities? meh.

trickle down works so well that the real debt burden, i.e. private debt, is on the rise globally, so in order to keep 'the economy' happy, its extremely important that everyone keeps the recovering going and increases their fair share of private debt, i.e. please keep taking out debt, as the wealth created from this process trickles down, you ll also be respected more in society by doing so, people will love you

maybe these issues are far more complicated than welfare recipients?

Maybe so but it has to start somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

xmas bonus, free medical, rent allowance, fuel allowance

is it any wonder some people are reluctant to come off the dole

you're the one who brought trickle down economics up. Reduce the tax burden on workers and then you'll really see it kick in. there'll be no money for dole bonuses though but hey.

Kivaro wrote: »
    I'm in total agreement with this.
    It needs to be a living wage .... and more.

There is also the philosophical issue, which I believe will eventually tear this world apart, of the unequal distribution of wealth. I'm not talking about the Marxist notion of wealth distribution, but more of the "practical" aspect of distributing wealth. Otherwise, we are going to have a planetary sheettstorm in a teacup very soon ........ and it ain't goin' to be pretty.

bang on;)

theres now sufficient evidence that the majority of wealth is in fact trickling up through the complex workings of our economic and financial systems, Marxist economist michael hudson believing this is largely due to do workings of the fire sectors(finance, insurance and real estate)

you're the one who brought trickle down economics up. Reduce the tax burden on workers and then you'll really see it kick in. there'll be no money for dole bonuses though but hey.

is trickle down actually a reality, or is this just another economic myth?

is trickle down actually a reality, or is this just another economic myth?
    you brought it up as a justification for the bonus

fryup wrote: »
    xmas bonus, free medical, rent allowance, fuel allowance

is it any wonder some people are reluctant to come off the dole

so we should remove these benefits, further increasing insecurity into society? this would hardly lead to more complex social issues such as criminality etc?

• Advertisement

so we should remove these benefits, further increasing insecurity into society? this would hardly lead to more complex social issues such as criminality etc?

If they were working they wouldn't have time for criminality.

are you saying people on the dole will turn to crime if the bonus is not paid?

you brought it up as a justification for the bonus

not necessarily, trickle down theory is another one of those economic myths, theres now sufficient evidence to support, majority of wealth is in fact trickling up, and what is truly trickling down is the most common form of money on the planet, i.e. debt, particularly private debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    The company I work for is not on the exchange. Totally private .

Sorry, i was on about my own bonus.

so workers dont engage in criminal behavior?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Well some of the top bankers managed both .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,645 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

screamer wrote: »
    From 85 to 100 percent. Ah fair play regina, sure why give Job Dodgers any incentive to get out of bed in the morning and do an honest days work for an honest days pay..... Talk about an own goal

The very most of Social welfare goes on pensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Well some of the top bankers managed both .

We can't mention the bankers, because that's different™

so workers dont engage in criminal behavior?

Lol, you know what I mean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

Bonus is paid to (private sector) workers as incentive to work hard throughout the year. Maybe if they had to show what they did all year (how many job applications did they submit, how many hours of community service did they volunteer for...are they good law abiding citizens who respect their neighbours....blah blah...) but nope they won't ever do this because it would mean civil servants have even more work to do than they already do....and it ain't gonna happen. So I think yes, just give it to the old, the disabled, the people who genuinely cannot work / genuinely have recently lost work and who want to work. If you've been on the dole for over 5 years with no record of ever applying for work for no other reason than being bone idle then sorry but you don't get it. Less of the one size fits all, private work forces don't offer bonuses this way, ever.

Advertisement