Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Mandalorian [** Spoilers **] [Disney+] (US Pace)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Penn wrote: »
    Ben Shapiro will forever be responsible for one of my favourite videos on YouTube. Not intentionally of course

I'll see your Aquaman and raise you a Wet Assed Pussy...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Amy Schumer maybe

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

pixelburp wrote: »
    I'd rather see Bill Burr return than cast another ex sports fighter TBH. I know comedy is a tricky needle threaded in the franchise, but Burrs style meshed quite nicely all told. That little scene with his ex commander really worked for me too, showed he had enough range to carry off something more dramatic or tragic. Plus the idea of a mouthy Bostonite in the SW universe is just funny :D

I would rather see a skill fighter than an actor. :)

That scene with Mayfield and this old CO is one of the highlights of the whole show. I’ve never seen Burr act or in stand up and only know him from F is For Family (which I has assumed was just a version of himself) so based on the previous episode I though he just did “loud mouth” characters but he bloody food in those few minutes.

I don’t think he should get a larger role though - turning up once a season is plenty.

I keep expecting Hondo to show his face in the show.

silverharp wrote: »
    Amy Schumer maybe

Didn’t she cause upset by having a threesome with Artoo and Threepio?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Tony EH wrote: »
    I said SHE was hired as fill a check box. Which she was. Fuck all to do with "projection" or whatever pseudo psychological nonsense you want to try and employ.

She was given a part because she's an MMA fighter and her sole contribution to the show was to beat up a few people each episode she appeared in.

I don't find it "tough" at all ;) . But I'm not going to ignore the obvious.

I don't need to employ anything special to dissect your posts – you’ve made it is crystal clear again and again that you have some sort of underlying problem with strong women being portrayed in the media.
    Her "character" was really only a tick box effort anyway, so the show could have some female knock the crap out of blokes each week, because that's somehow "equality" or something.
    She was a tick box of "Strong Female Character" which in today's Hollywood terms means only its bluntest extrapolation.
    I said SHE was hired as fill a check box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

pixelburp wrote: »
    I'd rather see Bill Burr return than cast another ex sports fighter TBH. I know comedy is a tricky needle threaded in the franchise, but Burrs style meshed quite nicely all told. That little scene with his ex commander really worked for me too, showed he had enough range to carry off something more dramatic or tragic. Plus the idea of a mouthy Bostonite in the SW universe is just funny :D

Against all my expectations, Burr actually put in a decent shift in the two episodes he appeared in. The latter being the best effort, of course.

I wouldn't mind him seeing more of him either.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I don't need to employ anything special to dissect your posts – you’ve made it is crystal clear again and again that you have some sort of underlying problem with strong women being portrayed in the media.

I don't what the problem is with you and you're not "dissecting" anything at all.

Yes, I've been very clear and very straight forward. Gina Carano was hired because she's an ex MMA fighter to fulfil the "Strong Female Character" trope in the current way that Hollywood understands it. I.E. a female character that gets to knock the crap out of people. In other words, the most simplistic rendition of that phrase that one can imagine.

She certainly wasn't hired because of her stellar acting skills, nor was Cara Dune a character that was written with any kind of depth or nuance.

She's basically just a muscle bound brute sidekick cliche in female form.

It has nothing to do with an "underlying problem with strong women being portrayed in the media" or any other junk you have floating around in your own head.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,156 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Has the show a history of just vanishing characters out of it anyway?

I rewatched Series 2 over the last week, and in the final episode last night I noticed that when they went and got the 2 female Mandalorians to help them, the guy that was part of that trio just vanished? No mention of him or we didn't see him die, did we?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Thing is there isn't any pressing need to replace her. The hole that Carano is leaving ain't that wide and Cara Dune isn't a character on which much of anything hinged that much.

Indeed. Her arc can be considered as finished regardless of whether all this nonsense transpired or not. A former shock trooper with no purpose since the Rebellion that now has a purpose as a New Republic marshal on Nevarro. Done. She would only have been popping up here and there every few seasons while working on the Rangers series.

Relikk wrote: »
    Indeed. Her arc can be considered as finished regardless of whether all this nonsense transpired or not. A former shock trooper with no purpose since the Rebellion that now has a purpose as a New Republic marshal on Nevarro. Done. She would only have been popping up here and there every few seasons while working on the Rangers series.

Exactly. What she amounts to is somebody that helped Ding Dong out on a few side quests. Her entire impact on the show is summed up in your single sentence.

Now that Baby Yoda has been "delivered", they could go their separate ways. It's not like they were joined at the hip or had forged an inseparable bond or anything, and to all intents and purposes she was only ever going to be a bit part player that offered the Mando something to do in between his main objective.

The real loss, as far as Carano is concerned anyway, is the possibility that she was going to get her own show or what would have amounted to that. Obviously, that's not something she gives that much of a crap about. Whining about being an "oppressed" Republican was more important to her it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Biafranlivemat

Because of what Disney did to Gina Carano.
    I cancelled Disney+ on Friday.

I'm not the only one, hurt Disney in the pocket.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Why? They didn't fire her, they haven't spoken trash about her, they just haven't and hadn't pencilled her in for anything. A decision I imagine they took awhile ago, not after that latest tweet.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Has the show a history of just vanishing characters out of it anyway?

I rewatched Series 2 over the last week, and in the final episode last night I noticed that when they went and got the 2 female Mandalorians to help them, the guy that was part of that trio just vanished? No mention of him or we didn't see him die, did we?

He hasn’t vanished or been written out.

He is a minor character that wasn’t needed for the episode. Maybe he will return and maybe he won’t.

By this “logic” every TV show needs to account for every character that has appeared in it?

CramCycle wrote: »
    Why? They didn't fire her, they haven't spoken trash about her, they just haven't and hadn't pencilled her in for anything. A decision I imagine they took awhile ago, not after that latest tweet.

Of course it was because of the tweets.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

And Disney were entitled to behave as they did. We can't have it both ways; social media both being ones every inner belief, made PUBLIC, then cry fowl when employers decide those beliefs don't gel. Dressing this up as a Culture Wars issue blurs the simple reality people need to learn. Social media is YOU. Don't post anything you wouldn't want your employer reading, it's not rocket science :pac:

Dear lord, I meant not that one tweet. This idea that it was a corporate decision based on one tweet which was in fact possibly one of her least controversial tweets. She was gone ages ago. No song and dance though, they just didn't call her back or were not going to call her back. She wasn't fired, she simply wasn't given another gig. Decision was made long before a few people on twitter copped a news article that simply ran with a truthful, non inflammatory one line response to a question. It also didn't hurt that while she was a kick ass fighter, her acting was skilfully written around, as in she had to do very little. This really is a non issue that only benefits her by people kicking up a storm over it. The movie she is about to make will be a straight to video travesty, just like that guy from Hercules.

Dear lord, I meant not that one tweet. This idea that it was a corporate decision based on one tweet which was in fact possibly one of her least controversial tweets. She was gone ages ago. No song and dance though, they just didn't call her back or were not going to call her back. She wasn't fired, she simply wasn't given another gig. Decision was made long before a few people on twitter copped a news article that simply ran with a truthful, non inflammatory one line response to a question. It also didn't hurt that while she was a kick ass fighter, her acting was skilfully written around, as in she had to do very little. This really is a non issue that only benefits her by people kicking up a storm over it. The movie she is about to make will be a straight to video travesty, just like that guy from Hercules.

I’ve said a few times that wasn’t “fired” and they probably decided long ago not to use her again - Lucasfilm had simply not been asked or had avoided the question up until now.

Because of what Disney did to Gina Carano.
    I cancelled Disney+ on Friday.

I'm not the only one, hurt Disney in the pocket.

Ah yes, just like conservative media took down the NFL and French fries.

Disney are surely quaking in their boots.

I don't what the problem is with you and you're not "dissecting" anything at all.

Yes, I've been very clear and very straight forward. Gina Carano was hired because she's an ex MMA fighter to fulfil the "Strong Female Character" trope in the current way that Hollywood understands it. I.E. a female character that gets to knock the crap out of people. In other words, the most simplistic rendition of that phrase that one can imagine.

She certainly wasn't hired because of her stellar acting skills, nor was Cara Dune a character that was written with any kind of depth or nuance.

She's basically just a muscle bound brute sidekick cliche in female form.

It has nothing to do with an "underlying problem with strong women being portrayed in the media" or any other junk you have floating around in your own head.

She was hired to play the 'Strong character trope' which has existed practically since the first movies and TV shows - usually with big guys who are as limited actors as she is.

If you have no problem with strong women being portrayed in the media then why have you posted over and over regarding her gender when it has nothing to do with the character in this show? I'm confident you could have put a man in the role and barely had to change a line in any episode she appeared.

Why did them casting a woman in a this type of role anger or scare you so much?

Don't be so stupid.

• Advertisement

Don't be so stupid.

You seem to be a very angry person.

Which means you seems to have not understood some of the lessons that the Star Wars story teaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,386 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I can't see Baby Yoda not being in season 3 for the simple reason the merch sales must be in the tens if not hundreds of millions there is no way they don't use Baby Yoda in season 3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

I can't see Baby Yoda not being in season 3 for the simple reason the merch sales must be in the tens if not hundreds of millions there is no way they don't use Baby Yoda in season 3

Therein lies the problem with The Mandalorian as the title character has been completely overshadowed by Grogu, and if they had plans to write him out of a season I'm sure that's thrown out of the window now. The internet and social media being what it is, will be full of questions and toxic criticism about where Grogu is and why he's not in it. They're not going to risk that, and the potential monetary gains you mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭Homelander

I really am not getting the logic here.

Unless I am reading it wrong, his issue with that the character exists solely as a weak cliche, with no depth, no nuance, no charisma, no great acting skills behind the character.

A role and character that just exists because it ticks a box, and it would be equally the same if the character was Karl Dune and he was a meat-head of limited acting ability, little charisma, no real screen presence and no script behind him.

I mean, most of those "strong man" cliches work for exactly those reasons, because there is some degree of talent, limited as it can often be, charisma, or script behind them, sometimes a combination of all those factors.

A great example is Dave Bautista as Drax in Guardians of the Galaxy. He is that "strong man" cliche, but he's got an incredible script behind him that gel exceptionally well with his acting ability/methods to bring the character to life.

Don't get me wrong, I actually kinda like Gina Carano, but let's not pretend the character is anything other than a wafer thin, poorly acted inclusion that's based on "we need an ass-kicking character" without having bothered to give the role any depth.

Possibly I have it all wrong and the thought of a woman in a strong role "scares and angers" him.

Relikk wrote: »
    Therein lies the problem with The Mandalorian as the title character has been completely overshadowed by Grogu, and if they had plans to write him out of a season I'm sure that's thrown out of the window now. The internet and social media being what it is, will be full of questions and toxic criticism about where Grogu is and why he's not in it. They're not going to risk that, and the potential monetary gains you mentioned.

I hope not, it wouldn't make any sense, maybe a throwaway mention or even a one off special to see what happened with him and Luke but unless there is a scripted reason for it, I presume he won't be back. I hope they are smart enough to realise that if they bring him back ham fisted it would do more damage than a small amount of internet whingers whining.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I hope not, it wouldn't make any sense, maybe a throwaway mention or even a one off special to see what happened with him and Luke but unless there is a scripted reason for it, I presume he won't be back. I hope they are smart enough to realise that if they bring him back ham fisted it would do more damage than a small amount of internet whingers whining.

This show's scripts aren't its strongest aspect, with a fondness for Fetch Quests in its plotting, or convenient Nick of Time saves in the final acts. The latter I find more tedious as it's a lazy way to get your heroes out of a spot of bother - the finale being the biggest example of that. To that end, I reckon that's how we'll see Grogu return; Mando looks outgunned an in trouble, only to be saved by Grogu's inevitable cameo.

Homelander wrote: »
    I really am not getting the logic here.

Unless I am reading it wrong, his issue with that the character exists solely as a weak cliche, with no depth, no nuance, no charisma, no great acting skills behind the character.

A role and character that just exists because it ticks a box, and it would be equally the same if the character was Karl Dune and he was a meat-head of limited acting ability, little charisma, no real screen presence and no script behind him.

I mean, most of those "strong man" cliches work for exactly those reasons, because there is some degree of talent, limited as it can often be, charisma, or script behind them, sometimes a combination of all those factors.

A great example is Dave Bautista as Drax in Guardians of the Galaxy. He is that "strong man" cliche, but he's got an incredible script behind him that gel exceptionally well with his acting ability/methods to bring the character to life.

Don't get me wrong, I actually kinda like Gina Carano, but let's not pretend the character is anything other than a wafer thin, poorly acted inclusion that's based on "we need an ass-kicking character" without having bothered to give the role any depth.

Possibly I have it all wrong and the thought of a woman in a strong role "scares and angers" him.

I'd have no problem if they were just attacking a poorly acted basic 'strong character' - I'd actually fully agree.

Your analysis however ignores when the other poster also went down this usual toxic tinfoil hat nonsense that seems to appear online practically every time a character that isn't a white male isn't beloved:
    the show could have some female knock the crap out of blokes each week, because that's somehow "equality" or something.

I don't know how anyone can read that and not see an underlying issue there, especially when the poster has been given multiple opportunities to explain it and keeps ignoring it and pivoting to the argument you're making.

The only two explanations I can think of is that they either know what they said was wrong and won't put their hands up or they don't see an issue with dragging gender into a discussion for no reason and using it to beat some 'equality' conspiracy theory.

This might be the case but I don't think this argument is nearly as strong as it was pre-Mandalorian.

Remember this is the same company that forfeited hundreds of millions of dollars in sales from this show by not having Baby Yoda merchandise in the stores the day after the 1st episode it was in aired. It was months before any official merchandise hit the stores - all because they didn't want to spoil the reveal.

I'd guess that is a much much larger potential hit to profits than the likely relatively small incremental additional sales that would be driven solely from Baby Yoda appearing season 3.

Advertisement