Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Mandalorian [** Spoilers **] [Disney+] (US Pace)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Carano isn’t an actor but she is a talented performer and Cara Dune is a very likeable character.

Star Wars will just have to get another character in the role.

I believe it was the likes of the Covid conspiracy and anti-mask thing that was the reason she won’t be coming back. Lucasfilm simply didn’t need to make an
    announcement because she is only a recurring character and why stir up it up.

100% agree about Twitter. It has made I’m even never want to meet Hamill.

The anti-mask/anti-vax stuff isn't exclusive to her amongst actors/actresses in Disney properties though and I haven't seen Paltrow or Letitia Wright get fired yet so it can't have been about that alone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,061 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

titan18 wrote: »
    The anti-mask/anti-vax stuff isn't exclusive to her amongst actors/actresses in Disney properties though and I haven't seen Paltrow or Letitia Wright get fired yet so it can't have been about that alone.

What should Paltrow be fired from? She's barely acting these days anyway, seems more focused on her vaginal eggs at Goop. Every now and again she has cameo'ed on a MCU film, hardly big stakes. As to Wright, that feels like a wait-n-see given Black Panther 2 is still early in gestation.

And as Need a Username pointed out, a lot of this isn't "firing" given the actors aren't actually employees :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,386 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

ON the face of this one instagram post, it seems harsh. Yes, it is unwise to compare anything to the holocaust, but the statement on its own is just about political hatred. And it can be read from either direct - Tumper Republicans hating everyone and everything that isn't exactly like them (or what they claim to be) or Democrats hating any trumper on sight.

But, imo, this is clearly a final straw scenario with Disney waiting for something to fire her over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

AMKC wrote: »
    I liked her in the show but she seemed a bit thick. She got one chance before and did not learn from it so it is her own fault. A pity but they will just put a new I character in there instead of her and say she got killed defending the town or on a ship or something else. Problem solved.

The character won’t be “killed off” off screen.

The next time Mando goes to Navarro, Karga will tell him Cara re-enlisted in the New Republic army, or some such.

They’ll have a new marshal or Mando will cross paths elsewhere with the character that Favereau and Filoni need to fill the role.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭titan18

pixelburp wrote: »
    What should Paltrow be fired from? She's barely acting these days anyway, seems more focused on her vaginal eggs at Goop. Every now and again she has cameo'ed on a MCU film, hardly big stakes. As to Wright, that feels like a wait-n-see given Black Panther 2 is still early in gestation.

And as Need a Username pointed out, a lot of this isn't "firing" given the actors aren't actually employees :pac:

Tbf, Paltrow had a bigger role in MCU films than Carano did in The Mandalorian. With no RDJ around anymore, I'm assuming Iron Man is gone so she should drop out anyway but as we've seen in Endgame, it wouldn't shock me if Disney tried to make her an Iron Woman

• Advertisement

Platrow is a supporting actor in the MCU and is not probably no longer a part of the franchise now that Stark is gone.

Like Corano, if they have decided to not use her again then they simply don’t. No need to make an announcement.

Letitia Wright is someone I was going to ask about here. I knew she said something but has it been ongoing? Or just a for a brief time?

ON the face of this one instagram post, it seems harsh. Yes, it is unwise to compare anything to the holocaust, but the statement on its own is just about political hatred. And it can be read from either direct - Tumper Republicans hating everyone and everything that isn't exactly like them (or what they claim to be) or Democrats hating any trumper on sight.

But, imo, this is clearly a final straw scenario with Disney waiting for something to fire her over.

People need to take note the Lucasfilm statement never specified what comments were “abhorrent” or when they parted ways with Corano.

Also, it was a press release or anything like that.

It seems that a news media outlet reached out and asked a question about the “fire Corano” and lucasfilm answered that she was not currently working there and there was no plans for her to do so.

Clearly this is not a response to a recent “trend”. I think they had decided long ago to not rehire her.

When Mando comments that Fennic Shand is supposed to be dead she shows him her cybernetics. I assumed this meant that she survived because she is a cyborg and Fett was able to make repairs.

That seems only logical as where would Fett get the resources required to do it from scratch.

Wookiepedia claims however that Fett made her a cyborg.

Does anyone know was Fennic a cyborg all along?

Also, Fetts armour looked new-ish in the final two episode. I had thought that in the first episode it was heavily damaged from the Sarlacc.

Was it just dirty?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

When Mando comments that Fennic Shand is supposed to be dead she shows him her cybernetics. I assumed this meant that she survived because she is a cyborg and Fett was able to make repairs.

That seems only logical as where would Fett get the resources required to do it from scratch.

Wookiepedia claims however that Fett made her a cyborg.

Does anyone know was Fennic a cyborg all along?
    I got the impression from the way it was phrased that Fett had saved her and made her into a cyborg. I imagine he didn't do this in a few minutes but rather kept her on life support / stasis and then went somewhere with more expertise to do a proper job and replace her stomach/abdominal area. I didn't overthink it though. Suppose the only odd thing was that he found her at all,

• Registered Users Posts: 32,330 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Relikk wrote: »
    No loss if it's true, IMO. By far the weakest actor in the show and the more screen time she got the more evident it became.
    I think it's a stretch to even call her an actor...absolutely useless, no loss at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Disney played the situation like a well tuned fiddle I think.

They weren't under pressure to make a decision as season 2 was done by the time Carano started her provocative behaviour on social media. They bided their time until she dug a hole so deep that people wouldn't care or defend her if she was fired.

It's the opposite of what they did with Gunn really; fired too quick and people rushed out to defend him, eventually forcing a climbdown.

There won't be any such climbdown here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Also, Fetts armour looked new-ish in the final two episode. I had thought that in the first episode it was heavily damaged from the Sarlacc.

Was it just dirty?

No more than a repaint, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Agreed, she was saying stuff for months. I am pretty sure there were people in Disney and her own management, who were telling her to cut out the social media stuff.

I am sure Disney learned from when they fired James Gunn from Guardians 3, after Trump supporters called for his firing and then rehired him, as there was a fan outcry from everyone else. I doubt they would fire anyone for just one tweet (in Gunns case it was one, years before he even worked for Disney) these days. She most likely was warned multiples times by multiple people, but kept at it and now is out of a job.

Also, hearing rumor's she was to be announced as the star the rangers of new republic show back in November, but they chose not too, due to her social media ramblings.

She also has been dropped by her talent agency, so they were almost definitely warning her to cut it out as well.

So this seems to be a case of someone who was most likely given several chances to stop her social media nonsense, but just couldn't stop themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

She still has 4 fights left on her Strikeforce contract (now UFC). Would love to see her fight again. Cardio heavy training camp needed though!

CramCycle wrote: »
    I got the impression from the way it was phrased that Fett had saved her and made her into a cyborg. I imagine he didn't do this in a few minutes but rather kept her on life support / stasis and then went somewhere with more expertise to do a proper job and replace her stomach/abdominal area. I didn't overthink it though. Suppose the only odd thing was that he found her at all,

Overthinking Star Wars is the reason for threads like this ;)

If she was already a cyborg and he repaired the damage that is okay.

If he kept her alive to get her to a facility or doctor then okay.

However if he made her a cyborg himself then I don’t like that. It should be something in-universe that is a big deal and not just a thing anyone can do.

I hope the Fett series flashes back to his escape from the sarlacc and his hunt for the armour. He could clearly leave Tatooine any do I’m guessing he flew he hasn’t been there the whole time.

Maybe he was following Mando when he found Fennic but I prefer random chance while hunting the armour.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,061 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Tbf, Paltrow had a bigger role in MCU films than Carano did in The Mandalorian. With no RDJ around anymore, I'm assuming Iron Man is gone so she should drop out anyway but as we've seen in Endgame, it wouldn't shock me if Disney tried to make her an Iron Woman

Just to "well actually", but well, actually, Pepper Potts had worn the Iron Man armour before as "Rescue" in the comics fadó, so EndGame wasn't trying to steer her towards taking over the IM mantle. A lot of fans had been waiting for her to don her own, blu armour. Riri Williams is where you need to direct your angst ;)

And don't agree with Paltrow's relative prominence: Carano was basically one of Mando's "crew" and an occasional frontrunner, while Paltrow popped up for cameos, mostly to remind audiences she was still with Tony. Her absence from Spider-Man: Far From Home, a film basically about the legacy of Iron Man, was very pointed so TBH - I reckon Disney has already passed. But like I said, Paltrow doesn't seem to be pursuing a Hollywood career anymore so it's all conjecture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

This is whole cancel culture is funny business. Disney get up to some shady sh*te. They cosy up to the CCP and turn a blind eye to concentration camps but at least they fired Gina Carano who made some Tweets that upset the usual cohort of people who are always looking to be upset by something or another. The people falling over themselves to defend or justify the hypocrisy of Disney is astonishing. They don't hate her for what she said, they hate that she doesn't have the same political views as "them".

James Gunn was fired by Disney after he made jokes about rape, pedophilia, in tweets that also included topics spanning from 9/11, AIDS to the Holocaust? Disney re-hired Gunn but fired Carano? It's the fact Carano had refused to apologize or bow to the outrage mob on the internet time and time again. The mob who are now saying Gunn was "willing" to apologize for tweets "a long time ago", after he cowered and essentially groveled to the mob, it was only then he was forgiven after the public apology and was graciously accepted by the mob. The timing or the context don't matter when you aren't in line with mob rule.

I never really got into the Cara Dune or Carano as an actor but the hypocrisy is just outstanding. Cancel culture is a cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

The Nal wrote: »
    She still has 4 fights left on her Strikeforce contract (now UFC). Would love to see her fight again. Cardio heavy training camp needed though!

Would love to see it myself but the game has evolved so much she would be beaten handy by alot of the top fighters.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

ASOT wrote: »
    Would love to see it myself but the game has evolved so much she would be beaten handy by alot of the top fighters.

She looks way too big for 145 now so she would have to drop a lot of weight. Even if she did make the weight, Amanda Nunes would smash her I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,856 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

pixelburp wrote: »
    She hasn't been "cancelled", she's an actor with a minor role in a TV show, who won't reappear anymore; she got fired for having a (somewhat understandable given the current pandemic) troublesome public image - not exactly a new concept in Hollywood either. Comparing with concentration camps is pretty hyperbolic and lacks a little perspective if you're side-invoking Godwin's Law TBH :)

you mean like this :D

https://twitter.com/PedroPascal1/status/1009572721548595201

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

silverharp wrote: »

There's a difference between comparing conservatives having their twitter priveliges taken away and holding immigrants in concentration camps.

Given that Pascal is Chilean himself, it's probably a cause he feels quite strongly about.

silverharp wrote: »
    you mean like this :D

At least there's a thematic link, insofar as a state imprisoning whole peoples behind bars can be related. Pascal's own background no doubt informing his views. There's at least a conversation that can happen. So-called "cancel culture" amounts to huffing outrage over the apparent shock realisation that ... gosh. If you publicise your every opinion in a public place, there's a good chance your employer might not hire you anymore. No more than any other workplace that discovers one of its own is a liability.

I swear, it's like some still haven't caught up with the idea that Facebook & Twitter are YOU, for the whole world to see. Whether its a love of cat memes, or spreading conspiracies about stolen elections or CoVid. And no more than a workplace might ping you if you (say) broke their clothing guidelines, advertising your fairly shítty opinions means it's simply inviting your employer to take action. Especially when that country's still reeling from an attack on its capital caused by said conspiracies.

I do get it: there's no doubt that any industry that has courted Roman Polanski for as long as it has, doesn't get to define what's moral in this world. While there's a desire to whatabout every single case, James Gunn being mentioned as some silver bullet to hypocrisy. As said, there was a context behind Gunn's remarks, and - most importantly - the man seemed genuinely apologetic for his conduct. That goes a long way. Carano, so far, has showed none of this.

Besides, I hadn't realised the woman is inherited wealth. That just makes her lack of talent jar even more - let someone with actual abiliity, and rent to pay get the limelight.

This is whole cancel culture is funny business. Disney get up to some shady sh*te. They cosy up to the CCP and turn a blind eye to concentration camps but at least they fired Gina Carano who made some Tweets that upset the usual cohort of people who are always looking to be upset by something or another. The people falling over themselves to defend or justify the hypocrisy of Disney is astonishing. They don't hate her for what she said, they hate that she doesn't have the same political views as "them".

James Gunn was fired by Disney after he made jokes about rape, pedophilia, in tweets that also included topics spanning from 9/11, AIDS to the Holocaust? Disney re-hired Gunn but fired Carano? It's the fact Carano had refused to apologize or bow to the outrage mob on the internet time and time again. The mob who are now saying Gunn was "willing" to apologize for tweets "a long time ago", after he cowered and essentially groveled to the mob, it was only then he was forgiven after the public apology and was graciously accepted by the mob. The timing or the context don't matter when you aren't in line with mob rule.

I never really got into the Cara Dune or Carano as an actor but the hypocrisy is just outstanding. Cancel culture is a cancer.

I’m a “mob”?

Okay. Cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Well, anyway..... Moving on from the reasons of her departure.

Remember the next season of Mando is coming after this Book of Fett finishes so probably, what, early 2023? And if they concentrate on Mando's relationship with the other Madalorians/Katee Shackoff then that's a nice way to basically have a soft reboot.

I'm assuming that Baby Yoda storyline is now done. unless Disney want to pursue a detective show where Luke and Baby Yoda pursue crime and getting into adventures, each one crazier than the last...

I'm assuming they will pretty much move on and barely reference previous seasons where they don't have to. I think the biggest fallout was that she was in talks to have her own spin-off though? Space-cops type thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,386 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Would feel odd to have 2 seasons centred on Baby Yoda, then have Luke come to mentor him personally, and then never mention him again (as he has never been mentioned in the sequel trilogy).

Have to think we will get more information on Grogu at some point, in some way. I don't think it will be within Mandolorian, but have to think we will get a comic or book or something cannon about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,856 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Gbear wrote: »
    There's a difference between comparing conservatives having their twitter priveliges taken away and holding immigrants in concentration camps.

Given that Pascal is Chilean himself, it's probably a cause he feels quite strongly about.

:D

https://twitter.com/ScottAdamsSays/status/1359872455926452229

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Remember the next season of Mando is coming after this Book of Fett finishes so probably, what, early 2023? And if they concentrate on Mando's relationship with the other Madalorians/Katee Shackoff then that's a nice way to basically have a soft reboot.

I'm assuming that Baby Yoda storyline is now done. unless Disney want to pursue a detective show where Luke and Baby Yoda pursue crime and getting into adventures, each one crazier than the last...

I'm assuming they will pretty much move on and barely reference previous seasons where they don't have to. I think the biggest fallout was that she was in talks to have her own spin-off though? Space-cops type thing.

Detective Grugu ?

I’m in :)

Is the spin off you refer to with Cara? That was a rumour and a far fetched one.

No way Corano was going to be the lead. Part of a regular ensemble yes. A lead no.

There is going to be no reboot. The Mandalorian’s story will simply continue - just without the Child. And I’m assuming that the reconstruction of Mandolore is that story.

They were setting that up by reveal to Mando the truth about the culture and with him now being the holder of the Darksaber.

And why on Earth do you think the Child will never be mentioned again? That thought makes no sense.

Would feel odd to have 2 seasons centred on Baby Yoda, then have Luke come to mentor him personally, and then never mention him again (as he has never been mentioned in the sequel trilogy).

Have to think we will get more information on Grogu at some point, in some way. I don't think it will be within Mandolorian, but have to think we will get a comic or book or something cannon about it.

Yes it is an odd thought.

There is going to be no reboot and no “erasing” the Child.

Mando will be shown to miss the kid and there will be talk of him - he just isn’t the main story of the show next season.

I’ll miss him but the way it turned out made sense. Multiple seasons of the two wandering the Galaxy and never crossing paths with Luke would have been dumb and it would just have been to keep the Child for merchandising.

The Child leaving the story shows that Favereau and Filoni are putting sort and character first.

Was the Child a puppet all the time or was there CG at times too?

• Advertisement

I'll believe Grogu's departure when I don't see it; it's not like the puppet wasn't precision-engineered to generate memes and "awwww"s. Disney does love their cute n' cuddly mascots, it's practically baked into their DNA. That's a hard habit to shift and I'd predict his return - probably for another "saved at the last minute" finale.

What I'd like is to see a little more meat put on the bones of the increasingly prominent "restore Mandalor" arc; I'll be honest, I don't like it and it bores me - mostly because it's a very abstract, unknowable goal at the moment. Just folks with buckets on their head standing around talking about returning to Mandalor, restoring the crown etc. etc. As hoary as it is to quote, some "show don't tell" would play well here, that we might see exactly what it is Starbuck & co' are fighting for. As a viewer, I just can't care about something I haven't seen, or felt.
    Was the Child a puppet all the time or was there CG at times too?

AFAIK, it was both; tehre were a few scenes it looked like a CGI creation moving about, but most of the time it seemed to be a physical puppet.

Advertisement