Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Mandalorian [** Spoilers **] [Disney+] (US Pace)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I have a default low opinion of actors by and large, outside of their on-set cute stories or recipes perhaps I wouldnt put any value in what they say, maybe go down that route? :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 60,300 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

silverharp wrote: »
    I have a default low opinion of actors by and large, outside of their on-set cute stories or recipes perhaps I wouldnt put any value in what they say, maybe go down that route? :pac:

In America now there are tens of millions who put value in what she and other like her say this is down to years an years of the likes of Trump, Shapiro & Fox News spouting nonsense and not being called on it because you they just a bit out there.

The right wing is getting a hold around the world and it needs to be called out on its bull****.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Im trusting Bill is a better judge of character than some randomer who doesnt know her so Ill take a punt and say she isnt a deeply unpleasant person.
    One of the starting points of this was that she reacted to being bullied on line for not adding pronouns to her bio, so she added in something like Beep Bopp, this got one lot of crazies after here. When the Disney Commissars talked to her about this they ended up agreeing with her position and didnt take any offense.

Disney should learn that Twitter mobs dont buy Disney products , services or use their theme parks.

She explained the Beep bop thing away but lets be honest you can just ignore the twitter mob with ease, instead she done what she continued to do after and provoked it. Its trolling pure and simple. She knew it was a sh1tty thing to do for a cheap laugh and she went ahead and done it anyway. I've had people have digs at me on twitter over nonsense, funnily enough, so long as you aren't a twat and haven't acted the twat, it dies down as quickly as it starts. So taking Burrs commentary about sit her down and explain it before sacking her. She was sat down by Pedro, explained it and then she said, f*ck it, I'll double down and claim I am being bullied. If she had literally done nothing, or just said I appreciate why people do it but I don't want too, that would have been the end of it. same with most of her posts that get used to point out her controversial angle, its stuff she knows will rile up certain people who haven't the sense to ignore such assh*ts until they disappear, and it will rally a smaller but more loyal base of fans. Biggest issue with her now is she is rich enough to bankroll having to listen to her.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Sure we shouldn't, but we don't live in the world, especially when thanks to Twitter every brainfart is broadcast to a global audience, echo chambers ensuring they get validated. Sports people and actors carry a certain kind of import, especially the former that become the latter. It sucks but there you go, but then does social media *shrug*

Also Remember, America is a country that politicised the wearing of masks full stop. That's an important piece of context here. We take them for granted as a public health issue in Ireland, but Carano is part of a noisy clique that decided protecting each other was a (liberal) conspiracy. This was never just about PC going too far, she indulged in a dangerous game of obfuscation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭flazio

pixelburp wrote: »

She became more trouble than it was worth but TBH, she should have been quietly written out of the series. No fuss, no public "she won't be back", plausible deniability for what amounted to a side character at best.
    I get the impression she was quietly removed until some media outlet came looking for a reaction to the Jewish comparison which then forced Lucasfilm to admit, she's already gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Last time when Roseanne Barr got fired, the conservatives bit back with James Gunn. Now that the libbers have gotten Gina Carano, I wonder who’s next on the conservative hit list..... can you fire someone for posting a picture of their junk?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,300 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

kerplun k wrote: »
    Last time when Roseanne Barr got fired, the conservatives bit back with James Gunn. Now that the libbers have gotten Gina Carano, I wonder who’s next on the conservative hit list..... can you fire someone for posting a picture of their junk?

Well there is that actor who wants to eat people he’s getting cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 33,237 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Well there is that actor who wants to eat people he’s getting cancelled

God you can't say anything these days without the cancel culture police coming after you....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I think there’s a lot more nuance to it than that. It’s more than simple trolling. People genuinely believe stuff like a stolen election, antivaxers, mask hoaxers, etc. While others are just frustrated at how liberal the media is and it’s all exacerbated by social media.

The thing with Gina Carano is small fry, but thinking that this is something as simple as trolling is exactly the type of thing that gets people like Donald Trump into power.

For some it is more than just trolling but even if she is one of the true believers, trolling is a key feature of what she is doing. I think for a large majority they don't truly believe much of what they are saying, like a sports fan they just believe whatever the opposite of the enemy- 'the liberals'. We've seen Trump supporters flip flop on their opinions of things as he has and time and again without any concern. Most of what she has gotten herself involved in is the right wing version of 'virtue signaling' (how I hate all these terms).

I strongly disagree on your point about trolling and Trump - the main problem isn't that what most of Trump was doing was trolling, it is not understanding how the media (traditional and social) are completely incapable or unwilling to deal with it in a way that doesn't amplify the problem further.

Im trusting Bill is a better judge of character than some randomer who doesnt know her so Ill take a punt and say she isnt a deeply unpleasant person.
    One of the starting points of this was that she reacted to being bullied on line for not adding pronouns to her bio, so she added in something like Beep Bopp, this got one lot of crazies after here. When the Disney Commissars talked to her about this they ended up agreeing with her position and didnt take any offense.

Disney should learn that Twitter mobs dont buy Disney products , services or use their theme parks.

Can you point me to any of the right wing attempts to boycott or 'cancel' a large company or product working? For example the NFL and French Fries seem to doing pretty well.

The far right consistently overestimate their power to hurt large US corporations (the left does too but I'd argue it still has far more power, due to a lot of their issues aligning with independents and even moderate republicans in the US and most of the big English speaking markets)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Can you point me to any of the right wing attempts to boycott or 'cancel' a large company or product working? For example the NFL and French Fries seem to doing pretty well.

The far right consistently overestimate their power to hurt large US corporations (the left does too but I'd argue it still has far more power, due to a lot of their issues aligning with independents and even moderate republicans in the US and most of the big English speaking markets)

the last one I remember was Goya foods, some left wing mob wanted them boycotted for a reason I cant remember, right leaning types went out and cleared the shelves, I think their sales went up,otherwise the bigger the company the less effect because most people dont care as its a twitter mob.

From an individual perspective I hope everyone that gets targeted for cancelling for ideological reaosns ends up richer off the back of it

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

the last one I remember was Goya foods, some left wing mob wanted them boycotted for a reason I cant remember, right leaning types went out and cleared the shelves, I think their sales went up,otherwise the bigger the company the less effect because most people dont care as its a twitter mob.

From an individual perspective I hope everyone that gets targeted for cancelling for ideological reaosns ends up richer off the back of it

While its true in the immediate reaction to a Boycott suggested by AOC the right had a Buycott and it drove Goya Sales massively.

This though seems to be dying off as the board in December has censured the CEO (and owner) ,who caused this furore and are in the process of removing him on the grounds of long term damage to the brand.

That is increasing sales in a product (though I'd argue it had minimal to do with the increased sales, which are much more tied to the impacts of the pandemic). What I asked was when has the right actually put on a boycott, like you are proposing, and had it be successful with a large company. I can wait for an example - I don't believe there are many.

I'm very confused. Are you saying you want Disney to get richer? It seems you've fallen into the trap of threatening to do the exact thing that you're mad someone else did.

Is this thread even about the show anymore?

The amount of people, not just here but across boards, who defend people's rights to be utter arseholes is depressing. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

flazio wrote: »
    Is this thread even about the show anymore?

The amount of people, not just here but across boards, who defend people's rights to be utter arseholes is depressing. :(

Something something cancel culture?

It's also a remarkable amount of discussion around what amounted to a bit player with almost zero characterisation. To be fair with the season over and few details about season 3 revealed there's not much else to talk about :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Look it's Grogu eating a stolen macaron - the cheeky scallywag!
    baby-yoda-macaron-header.jpg

(more fun than the debate).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,813 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

But is that macaroon blue, green or turquoise?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

CastorTroy wrote: »

Turquoise, that's rebel scum talk.

On a serious note, I did laugh when they appeared in the episode. Coffee run person was in charge of the set design and just banged a load of macaroons on it to get around the fact he went out on the batter the night before and forgot about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Foxtrol wrote: »
    For some it is more than just trolling but even if she is one of the true believers, trolling is a key feature of what she is doing. I think for a large majority they don't truly believe much of what they are saying, like a sports fan they just believe whatever the opposite of the enemy- 'the liberals'. We've seen Trump supporters flip flop on their opinions of things as he has and time and again without any concern. Most of what she has gotten herself involved in is the right wing version of 'virtue signaling' (how I hate all these terms).

I strongly disagree on your point about trolling and Trump - the main problem isn't that what most of Trump was doing was trolling, it is not understanding how the media (traditional and social) are completely incapable or unwilling to deal with it in a way that doesn't amplify the problem further.

I think it’s got very little to do with trolling. While I agree politics is very partizan, especially in the US, and both parties tend to flip flop depending on which way the wind is blowing, I think in Gina Caranos case, it’s is a great example of why it isn’t just trolling. I mean Trump did get almost 75m votes in 2020. This alone should raise some red flags.

Having watched the Ben Shapiro interview it explains it a bit more for me.

Carano comes across as someone who is not the brightest bulb in the pack, but also someone who means to cause no offence, She says that 2020 was her first time voting, she’s not very political, but seems like a susceptible person. She genuinely thought her posts where think pieces :D

I can see how someone like Carano would subscribe into this way of thinking, and I do think with today’s technology, it is in large parts a big problem, for instance, after watching that interview, my YouTube feed keeps recommending me Ben Shapiro and cancel Disney videos. If I clicked a flat earth videos it would do the same. Social media reinforces my line of thinking, giving me tailored, biased news based on something I was curious about, add this to the very addictive nature of social media and people like Ben Shapiro who are only too happy to gain from peoples vulnerabilities and it’s a recipe for disaster.

I’m in no way trying to defend Carano but I would like to understand situations like this a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I think it’s got very little to do with trolling. While I agree politics is very partizan, especially in the US, and both parties tend to flip flop depending on which way the wind is blowing, I think in Gina Caranos case, it’s is a great example of why it isn’t just trolling. I mean Trump did get almost 75m votes in 2020. This alone should raise some red flags.

The majority of whom were simply Republican voters who would have given their mark to a potato if it ran under that party.

Don't be mistaking that number as "Trump voters". Most of them were just voting for the same party they always vote for.

The single most important red flag that should be thrown up is the fact that the Republican Party chose to continue supporting someone like Trump, even with all the dangers that he represented and all the nefarious types of bases he chose to draw power from.

It took an assault on the Capitol by a bunch of revved up loons for some of them to finally change their minds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Tony EH wrote: »
    The majority of whom were simply Republican voters who would have given their mark to a potato if it ran under that party.

Don't be mistaking that number as "Trump voters". Most of them were just voting for the same party they always vote for.

The single most important red flag that should be thrown up is the fact that the Republican Party chose to continue supporting someone like Trump, even with all the dangers that he represented and all the nefarious types of bases he chose to draw power from.

It took an assault on the Capitol by a bunch of revved up loons for some of them to finally change their minds.

Yeah i think this dangerously underestimates what Trump did

Trump got ~12M more votes than in 2016
    if you count those that died between elections its closer to ~19m who did not vote for him in 2016 voted for him in 2020

That is not about having a R after his name , that is serious quantities of people making the effort to vote for Trump

Ok guys, while I've been part of this segue myself, invoking Trump is possibly the point where I'd suggest we dial back the conversation to something on-topic again. Plenty of threads on Boards about Trump et al.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,813 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Since the next season is due in December, is there any Star Wars planned before then or will it be all Marvel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Since the next season is due in December, is there any Star Wars planned before then or will it be all Marvel?

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/1364643758109679616

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Season 3 doesn't have a release date yet, just some time in 2022. Boba Fett is next December. Any yea as mentioned above, just the Bad Batch until then, no live action unfortunately.

To be fair, there wasn't anything between season 1 and 2 anyway.

Never seen Clone Wars before so now you have a near 40 year old taking up a Saturday morning cartoon regime.

To be fair, there wasn't anything between season 1 and 2 anyway.

We got season 7 of the Clone Wars between season 1 and 2, and that was some of the best Star Wars I content I have ever seen.
    Never seen Clone Wars before so now you have a near 40 year old taking up a Saturday morning cartoon regime.

It starts off a bit rocky, and has the odd bit of filler, but it is an amazing show for all age groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

There's a good chronological guide to follow here: https://www.reddit.com/r/TheCloneWars/wiki/recommended

It filters out the filler, or non-critical story episodes. There are still 90+ episodes and the Clone Wars movie to get through, but it is well worth it. There are some fantastic villains introduced and some familiar ones expanded upon, and of course there's the wonderful Ahsoka Tano.
    Markitron wrote: »
    We got season 7 of the Clone Wars between season 1 and 2, and that was some of the best Star Wars I content I have ever seen.

Easily the best Star Wars we've got from Disney since Rogue One. It was perfect.

Relikk wrote: »
    Easily the best Star Wars we've got from Disney since Rogue One. It was perfect.

Definitely, I am a big fan of TLJ so I would have that up there too.

If the last 4 episodes of Clone Wars S7 were edited together as a movie, it would only be second to Empire IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Yes

Advertisement