Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Mandalorian [** Spoilers **] [Disney+] (US Pace)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

pixelburp wrote: »
    I'll believe Grogu's departure when I don't see it; it's not like the puppet wasn't precision-engineered to generate memes and "awwww"s. Disney does love their cute n' cuddly mascots, it's practically baked into their DNA. That's a hard habit to shift and I'd predict his return - probably for another "saved at the last minute" finale.

What I'd like is to see a little more meat put on the bones of the increasingly prominent "restore Mandalor" arc; I'll be honest, I don't like it and it bores me - mostly because it's a very abstract, unknowable goal at the moment. Just folks with buckets on their head standing around talking about returning to Mandalor, restoring the crown etc. etc. As hoary as it is to quote, some "show don't tell" would play well here, that we might see exactly what it is Starbuck & co' are fighting for. As a viewer, I just can't care about something I haven't seen, or felt.

AFAIK, it was both; tehre were a few scenes it looked like a CGI creation moving about, but most of the time it seemed to be a physical puppet.

Mandolore has feature quite a bit in The Clone Wars.

I never signed up to the cult of Boba. He looked cool but so did loads of other characters. He did nothing in the two movies.

Jango and Boba in the Prequels actually had personality and got stuff to do but my interest in the society comes from TCW.

The mo-cap for Luke looked to my eyes like it was much less advanced than Tarkin and Leis in Rogue One.

Am I correct?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,002 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mandolore has feature quite a bit in The Clone Wars.

I never signed up to the cult of Boba. He looked cool but so did loads of other characters. He did nothing in the two movies.

Jango and Boba in the Prequels actually had personality and got stuff to do but my interest in the society comes from TCW.

That's fair, but also, it shouldn't matter and I don't care :D The Mandalorian is its own beast and generally don't buy into the "oh well it was explained in the comic / cartoon / interpretative dance". Any serialised story should be able to stand on its own two feet within reason; I knew Ahsoka was from the cartoon series, but that episode didn't require that knowledge. She was a random Jedi to anyone not close to the various spin-offs. I'm sure there were easter eggs and nods - not least the mention of Thrawn at the end (who I know from the "legends" book series) - but it didn't get in the way of that fairly economical episode.

But if this show wants its audience to care about the new Big Thing, then it needs to show us what's at stake. Let's see Mandalor, and how it's doing these days that it needs saving, or the restoration of a queen. My inner republican isn't immediately behind Starbuck's great plan TBH :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Was the Child a puppet all the time or was there CG at times too?
    What are you on about? Puppet?! He's a professional actor and did all his own scenes. Why would you ask if he's a puppet but not any of the rest of the cast? Odd! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

silverharp wrote: »

Making comparisons to previous instances of fascism (eg, concentration camps being compared to, err, concentration camps) makes more sense than making comparisons to things that aren't fascism (banning people from twitter comapred to ???). This isn't difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

The mo-cap for Luke looked to my eyes like it was much less advanced than Tarkin and Leis in Rogue One.

Am I correct?

It looked more like a deepfake than the method of mocap from Rogue One.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

That's fair, but also, it shouldn't matter and I don't care :D The Mandalorian is its own beast and generally don't buy into the "oh well it was explained in the comic / cartoon / interpretative dance". Any serialised story should be able to stand on its own two feet within reason; I knew Ahsoka was from the cartoon series, but that episode didn't require that knowledge. She was a random Jedi to anyone not close to the various spin-offs. I'm sure there were easter eggs and nods - not least the mention of Thrawn at the end (who I know from the "legends" book series) - but it didn't get in the way of that fairly economical episode.

But if this show wants its audience to care about the new Big Thing, then it needs to show us what's at stake. Let's see Mandalor, and how it's doing these days that it needs saving, or the restoration of a queen. My inner republican isn't immediately behind Starbuck's great plan TBH :)

I don't get the complaint here. Why do you feel they haven't done a good job making you care about it when it has been crystal clear the main character hasn't cared about it much to this point?

It wasn't the 'Big Thing' the first two seasons, it has been mentioned but not the focus of the show or the main character, nor have even most of the supporting characters even cared about it. Just like knowing who Ahsoka is, the knowledge of Mandalor and why action is important hasn't been required so far to understand the show and for it to 'stand on its own two feet'.

If we get somewhat deep into season 3, with the focus is on Mandalor, and they haven't shown us what is at stake then you would definitely have a point. At this stage all they've needed to do is set it up and until the show comes back if anyone is interested they can search out content that provides that additional background they're looking for - many shows provide a vague direction for the following season and don't even have that option to find more information and no one complains.

You have misunderstood my post and jumped on a very high horse there.

I mentioned Clone Wars as an option to get to know more about Mandalore becasue you said you know nothing about it.

I wasn’t suggesting it was necessary or essential or that Mandolorian shouldn’t stand on its own in the franchise.

If you are not interested in seeing Mandolore in other stories from the franchise then you simply have to wait until they get there in the show.

And I really don’t understand the comment you made if you want to the show to stand in its own. The previous mentions of restoring Mandolore are to set up a new post-Grogu story. It is not time yet to show Mandolore, etc

So I don’t know what you what - no mention of restoring Mandolore until season 3?

ixoy wrote: »
    What are you on about? Puppet?! He's a professional actor and did all his own scenes. Why would you ask if he's a puppet but not any of the rest of the cast? Odd! :D

It was trap to ferret out non-believers and find the good ones like yourself

;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,002 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I don't get the complaint here. Why do you feel they haven't done a good job making you care about it when it has been crystal clear the main character hasn't cared about it much to this point?

It wasn't the 'Big Thing' the first two seasons, it has been mentioned but not the focus of the show or the main character, nor have even most of the supporting characters even cared about it. Just like knowing who Ahsoka is, the knowledge of Mandalor and why action is important hasn't been required so far to understand the show and for it to 'stand on its own two feet'.

If we get somewhat deep into season 3, with the focus is on Mandalor, and they haven't shown us what is at stake then you would definitely have a point. At this stage all they've needed to do is set it up and until the show comes back if anyone is interested they can search out content that provides that additional background they're looking for - many shows provide a vague direction for the following season and don't even have that option to find more information and no one complains.

Honestly I thought I said all this? My point was a HOPE that in Season 3 they remember to actually show what's at stake. You're right, Season 2's focus wasn't on the Restoration of Mandalor, but its presence was arguably the next biggest subplot, and quite noisy in the margins. Especially by the finale when we nearly got that epic dust-up between the two warriors over a key McGuffin. It's one thing to hint at future arcs, but by Season 2's end, I was just a little apathetic to Bo-Katans constant chatter about her birthright and why it was all so important. I'd lke to see the stakes, and yeah, here's hoping Season 3 goes that way. It wasn't all wasted exposition either, as Bo-Katan's presence allowed an interesting reveal that Mando's creed was relatively fundamentalist by Mandalorian standards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

No great loss to acting anyway,I thought she was an awful actor ,the weakest link in the regular characters.

Easy enough bring someone else to fill the type of role I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

There were undeniably intense and penetrative bromance vibes between Mando and Bill Burr. Burr needs to be Gina Caranos replacement.
    Sure Mando took off his Helmet for Burr !!! He didn’t do that for Gina !!!!!

Honestly I thought I said all this? My point was a HOPE that in Season 3 they remember to actually show what's at stake. You're right, Season 2's focus wasn't on the Restoration of Mandalor, but its presence was arguably the next biggest subplot, and quite noisy in the margins. Especially by the finale when we nearly got that epic dust-up between the two warriors over a key McGuffin. It's one thing to hint at future arcs, but by Season 2's end, I was just a little apathetic to Bo-Katans constant chatter about her birthright and why it was all so important. I'd lke to see the stakes, and yeah, here's hoping Season 3 goes that way. It wasn't all wasted exposition either, as Bo-Katan's presence allowed an interesting reveal that Mando's creed was relatively fundamentalist by Mandalorian standards.

My original point was that I didn't get the complaint, as you seemed to be saying one thing but feeling something that didn't align at all. You somewhat said it but to me that was completely negated by you stating that 'I dont like it and it bores me' - which a person doesn't usually feel when they just 'HOPE' for something to be in the next season, they're usually annoyed that it wasn't in the previous one.

Add to that your explanation of why you're fine with how the Ashoka episode could stand on its own two feet implies that you don't believe the Mandalore element does.

From your posts it sounded like you were going down the route we see quite regularly on boards, where posters equate there being other content that provides background information to a show/movie being the same as them not standing on their own two feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,077 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Saw this this morning and it really is a bit ridiculous on everyone's account. I don't see what was supposed to so "antisemitic" about her paragraph. But, aside from that, it is really was one of the absolute dumbest things I've seen posted on anything for a good while. So, frankly, Carano comes across as a bit of a thicko. Being a Trump supporting Republican is nowhere near to being a Jew in the 1940's and it takes a real deep, deep, level of ignorance/stupidity to think anything remotely of the sort.

As to cries of "antisemitism", well...that's just bullshit. But the old "antisemitism" slur doesn't ever need to be reinforced by much of anything at all. Even using the word "Jew" in a sentence, any sentence, these days is almost enough to get you branded.

Just ask Jeremy Corbyn.

The big question here is, why won't these people learn? Don't post stupid shit online. It's not that difficult to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

I wasn't aware of the actor's politics at all until today. I'd previously seen some on Youtube and Twitter claim her character was an 'SJW Mary Sue'. Assume they'll all do a 180 and decry this as a new low in 'woke cancel culture'.

I wasn't aware of the actor's politics at all until today. I'd previously seen some on Youtube and Twitter claim her character was an 'SJW Mary Sue'. Assume they'll all do a 180 and decry this as a new low in 'woke cancel culture'.

They are the same people who have ran campaigns to boycott everything from coffee machines to sports leagues. Their hypocritical tears about what is fair and unfair to 'cancel' are fantastic.

She got everything deserved now she can post that the "Man" got her for speaking the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Gyan84

Not really pushed about Gina Carano being out. Am I the only one that thinks they won't bother recasting or replacing her role and instead having a book/comic about Dune once this has all been forgotten ?

On the show itself I enjoyed season 2 even though it felt like there was no stakes at times with how many stormtroopers they could mow down without a scratch.

The only episode I've hated so far was the prison escape one in season 1. The purple twilek that licked the knife was like an awful Harley Quinn caricature and it got on my nerves immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,077 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

^
    They don't need to recast/replace her though. Her "character" was really only a tick box effort anyway, so the show could have some female knock the crap out of blokes each week, because that's somehow "equality" or something. But beyond that there's, literally, nothing there. So, there's nothing they have to replace.

They could simply never mention her again and it wouldn't matter.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

It's a pity she had to go, as I like the character, but the actor was rubbish. I've rewatched the final episode a few times and her delivery of the X-Wing line is so wooden. Pretty typical of a celeb moving into acting really.

Speaking of the final episode, I did like the squad of women who were pretty bad ass, without being girl power in-your-face bad ass, if you know what I mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

delly wrote: »

Speaking of the final episode, I did like the squad of women who were pretty bad ass, without being girl power in-your-face bad ass, if you know what I mean.

This - Thumbs up.

Weird Arbirtary Girl Power Team Up in Avengers: Endgame - Thumbs down.

The trick is to not have it take you out of the action or break the fourth wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

What about my Cara Dune funko pop :(:(
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

She really is some kind of stupid. Somehow manages to nab a role in one of the most popular shows around despite being a absolutely woeful actress , there's even rumours of getting her own spin off , and she chooses to talk **** on the Internet.... again.

She'll get her 15 minutes of being the poster child for cancel culture and then disappear into the obscurity her acting talent deserves. Hope it was worth it Gina .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Gbear wrote: »
    This - Thumbs up.

Weird Arbirtary Girl Power Team Up in Avengers: Endgame - Thumbs down.

The trick is to not have it take you out of the action or break the fourth wall.

Check out the women teaming up in The Boys.They know how to do it .

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

She really is some kind of stupid. Somehow manages to nab a role in one of the most popular shows around despite being a absolutely woeful actress , there's even rumours of getting her own spin off , and she chooses to talk **** on the Internet.... again.

She'll get her 15 minutes of being the poster child for cancel culture and then disappear into the obscurity her acting talent deserves. Hope it was worth it Gina .

Its actually so stupid its not even funny.
    She has literally thrown her career in the bin. she was given an amazing chance in a million with no acting prowess at all and just couldnt keep her finger under control ;)
    I wonder if the republican party will look after her now :)
    What a 22 carat plonker she really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,452 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A job at Fox, Newsmax or OAN as a social commentator is in her future no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

yabadabado wrote: »
    Check out the women teaming up in The Boys.They know how to do it .

Yes. I've heard those girls get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,910 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Kirby wrote: »
    Yes. I've heard those girls get it done.

Was written as a dig at the Endgame scene.

Gyan84 wrote: »
    Not really pushed about Gina Carano being out. Am I the only one that thinks they won't bother recasting or replacing her role and instead having a book/comic about Dune once this has all been forgotten ?

On the show itself I enjoyed season 2 even though it felt like there was no stakes at times with how many stormtroopers they could mow down without a scratch.

The only episode I've hated so far was the prison escape one in season 1. The purple twilek that licked the knife was like an awful Harley Quinn caricature and it got on my nerves immediately.

They won’t recast but they will replace her.

As far as I know Season 3 has been written and rather than rewrite the episodes she appears in it is easier to replace her with a new character.

Assuming she was going to be in Season 3.

• Advertisement
Advertisement