Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Mandalorian [** Spoilers **] [Disney+] (US Pace)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Parsnips wrote: »
    What about my Cara Dune funko pop :(:(
    ;)

You still have it.

It won’t be recalled or cease to exist like people thought would happen to the old book series.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭kerplun k

I don’t know what to make of Gina Carano. I guess it’s just the world we live in.

She’s no great loss to the show. I don’t think Caranoa needed the money, and obviously has no ambition to peruse acting, otherwise she would have just kept schtum, and I’m guessing she didn’t care if was “fired”

The thing is I don’t fully disagree with her, well the bit on the unfair discontentment of conservatives anyway.

I know she spouted all this other stuff regarding the coronavirus, which giving her celebrity is irresponsible, but the other part of me believes that we should just leave people to it, it’s what she felt and what she believes. We can only show people the science and let them judge for themselves. We can’t tell people what to think by holding a paycheque over their head.

It’s like the flat earth stuff, if people believe in it, so be it. I know the coronavirus misinformation is more dangerous, but so is the enforcement and censoring of individual views, even if it goes against the science, so that other part of me thinks fair play to her for sticking to her beliefs.

I disagree with the majority of what she spouts on the cesspool that is social media, but I don’t think she should be fired for those views either.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

kerplun k wrote: »
    I don’t know what to make of Gina Carano. I guess it’s just the world we live in.

She’s no great loss to the show. I don’t think Caranoa needed the money, and obviously has no ambition to peruse acting, otherwise she would have just kept schtum, and I’m guessing she didn’t care if was “fired”

The thing is I don’t fully disagree with her, well the bit on the unfair discontentment of conservatives anyway.

I know she spouted all this other stuff regarding the coronavirus, which giving her celebrity is irresponsible, but the other part of me believes that we should just leave people to it, it’s what she felt and what she believes. We can only show people the science and let them judge for themselves. We can’t tell people what to think by holding a paycheque over their head.

It’s like the flat earth stuff, if people believe in it, so be it. I know the coronavirus misinformation is more dangerous, but so is the enforcement and censoring of individual views, even if it goes against the science, so that other part of me thinks fair play to her for sticking to her beliefs.

I disagree with the majority of what she spouts on the cesspool that is social media, but I don’t think she should be fired for those views either.

Irrespective of all of that, no employer is under any obligation to continue feeding you contracts if they think your stupid beliefs are going to stink up their future business opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Tony EH wrote: »
    ^
    They don't need to recast/replace her though. Her "character" was really only a tick box effort anyway, so the show could have some female knock the crap out of blokes each week, because that's somehow "equality" or something. But beyond that there's, literally, nothing there. So, there's nothing they have to replace.

They could simply never mention her again and it wouldn't matter.

It really sounds like you're projecting a lot of stuff in that post.

I thought there was plenty of potential for the character - a shock trooper and one of the few surviving Alderaanian. There is loads of interesting things they could have done with it and back stories that could be told about post Empire life for vets and refugees.

Carano's severe acting limitations meant they couldn't do anything deep with it but it doesn't mean the character couldn't have been interesting.

Foxtrol wrote: »

I thought there was plenty of potential for the character - a shock trooper and one of the few surviving Alderaanian. There is loads of interesting things they could have done with it and back stories that could be told about post Empire life for vets and refugees.

Carano's severe acting limitations meant they couldn't do anything deep with it but it doesn't mean the character couldn't have been interesting.

Not "projecting" anything.

She was a tick box of "Strong Female Character" which in today's Hollywood terms means only its bluntest extrapolation. She was given a role purely based on her size and previous occupation and it had nothing to do with her (extremely) limited acting skills. She was just a big bird that got to knock people around when she was a guest on the show.

As to her "character", what little there is of it, she could be written out of the show with the greatest of ease, because their wasn't much there in the first place. She's some ex-army broad who now operates as a makeshift sheriff in a one horse town. She's little more than a "somebody the Mandalorian met on his adventures".

As things stand, regardless of any nebulous "potential", she's completely unessential and the show has lost nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,180 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

While not needing to replace her in Mando - there was supposed to be a New Republic show announced as part of the new slate, which got shoved previously.

I don’t think the intention was there to get that deep in her character or background. If it had been then she would a regular on the show and the would have hired an actress.

Her primary purpose was for action and with a a small bit of character exploration.

I found the character entertaining and likeable. It is a pity she is gone (even more so because of the Alderaan connection) but another character can easily take her place.

While not needing to replace her in Mando - there was supposed to be a New Republic show announced as part of the new slate, which got shoved previously.

People are saying they saw rumours that she was going to be in that Rangers show but there is no evidence of that.

She wasn’t going to be a lead and regardless that show will not be affected whether. It is months even years from filming and there is plenty of time to make adjustments to the story IF Cara was to be involved.

She was a tick box of "Strong Female Character" which in today's Hollywood terms means only its bluntest extrapolation. She was given a role purely based on her size and previous occupation and it had nothing to do with her (extremely) limited acting skills. She was just a big bird that got to knock people around when she was a guest on the show.

As to her "character", what little there is of it, she could be written out of the show with the greatest of ease, because their wasn't much there in the first place. She's some ex-army broad who now operates as a makeshift sheriff in a one horse town. She's little more than a "somebody the Mandalorian met on his adventures".

As things stand, regardless of any nebulous "potential", she's completely unessential and the show has lost nothing.

You certainly seem to have a chip on your shoulder about Corano or the character. Or the fact that she is a woman.

Also your post makes no sense - if she was “completely unessential” then why why would she need to be written out.

Also what do you mean by her “size”?

You certainly seem to have a chip on your shoulder about Corano or the character. Or the fact that she is a woman.

Jesus christ...:rolleyes:

No, I am not "projecting", nor do I have a "chip" on my shoulder about Carano or women.

Fuckin hell...
    Also your post makes no sense - if she was “completely unessential” then why why would she need to be written out.

What? You mean you can't understand what I mean? Really?
    Also what do you mean by her “size”?

Now you're just being silly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There are interesting stories to be had from the refugees of Alderaan. Gina Carano is not the actor to front those stories however. Her flat delivery during that chat with Space Cop a fee episodes back was laughable. There was no doubt the ability to do her own stunts was a boon and when she had to dust up some troopers it was obvious the production knew how to use her physical prowess. But the moment the script asked her to emote, she looked adrift.

I mean, Arnie didn't become the biggest star on th planet for his range, but the man still had charisma and gumption to get past his inability to act. Same really with his Predator costar, Carl Weathers; his role in this show is limited but he sells it with charm alone. It definitely goes a long way and had Carano some of that X factor charm, she might have sold the quiet stuff better.

Anyway, she's ultimately a side character who went nowhere in the grand scheme of things.

Jesus christ...:rolleyes:

No, I am not "projecting", nor do I have a "chip" on my shoulder about Carano or women.

Fuckin hell...

Okay, it appears the chip on your shoulder is about life in general.

You are just a cantankerous little fella? Well you were harping on a lot about her being a woman so it was logical to assume you had an issue with it.
    What? You mean you can't understand what I mean? Really?

I didn’t say I couldn’t understand. I said it MAKES NO SENSE. I put it in caps to make it easier for you.

If the character is not essential the. There is no bed to “write her out”. What is so hard to understand about that?
    Now you're just being silly.

In what way am I being silly?

It is a simple question.

Why are you afraid to answer?

pixelburp wrote: »
    There are interesting stories to be had from the refugees of Alderaan. Gina Carano is not the actor to front those stories however. Her flat delivery during that chat with Space Cop a fee episodes back was laughable. There was no doubt the ability to do her own stunts was a boon and when she had to dust up some troopers it was obvious the production knew how to use her physical prowess. But the moment the script asked her to emote, she looked adrift.

I mean, Arnie didn't become the biggest star on th planet for his range, but the man still had charisma and gumption to get past his inability to act. Same really with his Predator costar, Carl Weathers; his role in this show is limited but he sells it with charm alone. It definitely goes a long way and had Carano some of that X factor charm, she might have sold the quiet stuff better.

Anyway, she's ultimately a side character who went nowhere in the grand scheme of things.

She was in the show for action not acting.

I’m disappointed she is gone but the show won’t suffer or the franchise.

Damn though - really wish Favereau had been in charge of the Sequel Trilogy.

And I don’t care how bad a person he is - Joss Whedon was top choice too.

Exactly.

Cara Dune had as much depth as a puddle of water and any potential for expansion was only going to be in the heads of some fans, I reckon. Her appearances were only ever going to be limited to a bit of rough housing for a couple of episodes in each series.

I don't think she was ever an essential ingredient to the show and her limitations would have prevented any realistic exploration further. I mean even Bill Burr's Imperial character had more to him and more to say than Cara Dune, and he was just playing himself.

Okay, it appears the chip on your shoulder is about life in general.

You are just a cantankerous little fella? Well you were harping on a lot about her being a woman so it was logical to assume you had an issue with it.

I didn’t say I couldn’t understand. I said it MAKES NO SENSE. I put it in caps to make it easier for you.

If the character is not essential the. There is no bed to “write her out”. What is so hard to understand about that?

In what way am I being silly?

It is a simple question.

Why are you afraid to answer?

Go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,867 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I have tried picturing the first series without her, and conclude that as far as my own aesthetics are concerned, it would have been sorely lacking without her and greatly inferior to what it is with her.

The hair trigger PCness of Disney and Apple turn my stomach.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,386 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Carano today.
    The Daily Wire is helping make one of my dreams — to develop and produce my own film — come true. I cried out and my prayer was answered. I am sending out a direct message of hope to everyone living in fear of cancellation by the totalitarian mob. I have only just begun using my voice which is now freer than ever before, and I hope it inspires others to do the same. They can’t cancel us if we don’t let them.”
    Carano will develop, produce, and star in an upcoming film, which The Daily Wire says it will release exclusively to its members as the company looks to bolster its entertainment division. Details are being kept under wraps but it will be produced as part of Daily Wire’s partnership with Bone Tomahawk producer Dallas Sonnier and his Bonfire Legend banner.”
    Daily Wire co-founder Ben Shapiro said in a statement: “We could not be more excited to be working with Gina Carano, an incredible talent dumped by Disney and Lucasfilm for offending the authoritarian Hollywood Left. This is what Daily Wire exists to do: provide an alternative not just for consumers, but for creators who refuse to bow to the mob.”

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/02/gina-carano-reacts-disney-firing-announces-film-1234616868/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Jesus, I never imagined Ben Shapiro would get name dropped in a thread about a Star Wars TV show. WhAt a tangled web we weave... "Authoritarian Hollywood left". Lordy.

I mean, good luck to her but that feels like she's embracing a life of fringe media presence, to throw your lot in with someone as divisive as Shapiro. She could have kept her head down, do some social media penance and bounce back in some Netflix movies but ... Uh, I guess not.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,329 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Ben Shapiro will forever be responsible for one of my favourite videos on YouTube. Not intentionally of course

• Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I disagree, you've made several statements that stink of projection of some weird issue with the growing representation of women in media.

I've no problem with you crapping on her acting or the character but you're also ranting and raving about some conspiracy theory regarding a gender equality bogeyman.

It must be tough to watch TV and movies when the gender of the actors makes you so annoyed - I don't envy you.

• Advertisement

I disagree, you've made several statements that stink of projection of some weird issue with the growing representation of women in media.

I said SHE was hired as fill a check box. Which she was. Fuck all to do with "projection" or whatever pseudo psychological nonsense you want to try and employ.

She was given a part because she's an MMA fighter and her sole contribution to the show was to beat up a few people each episode she appeared in.
    It must be tough to watch TV and movies when the gender of the actors makes you so annoyed - I don't envy you.

I don't find it "tough" at all ;) . But I'm not going to ignore the obvious.

Go away.

Waa-waa!!!

Jesus, I never imagined Ben Shapiro would get name dropped in a thread about a Star Wars TV show. WhAt a tangled web we weave... "Authoritarian Hollywood left". Lordy.

I mean, good luck to her but that feels like she's embracing a life of fringe media presence, to throw your lot in with someone as divisive as Shapiro. She could have kept her head down, do some social media penance and bounce back in some Netflix movies but ... Uh, I guess not.

Never heard of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I know people give Carano sh1t for her acting but I thought Cara Dune was a good character, as in it wasn't her gender that defined her and they hardly brought attention to it. She was just a friend that was capable and one that Mando could call upon and confide in.

That's is the true loss here because you just know she'll be replaced with another character that will be too on the nose as "bad ass". Carano never had to "put" that on and I'd say that's why Favreau cast her in the first place.

I know people give Carano sh1t for her acting but I thought Cara Dune was a good character, as in it wasn't her gender that defined her and they hardly brought attention to it. She was just a friend that was capable and one that Mando could call upon and confide in.

That's is the true loss here because you just know she'll be replaced with another character that will be too on the nose as "bad ass". Carano never had to "put" that on and I'd say that's why Favreau cast her in the first place.

There are other martial artists out there that can take to spot and I have faith in Favereau’s casting.

It would be nice if Cara’s replacement was an alien.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,863 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Saw some suggestions for WWE Superstar, Sonya Deville to replace her.
    But I'd say better to just forget her character or write her out and bring in a new character if required

• Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Honestly I don't think Carano was a bad actress in this role. She certainly has something beyond martial arts as I found her entertaining in Deadpool as well.

Hopefully they do cast someone like Rousey or Sonya Deville and people will then see what I mean perhaps.

Carano just has a natural screen presence to me where she's not trying too hard and that is a quality lost lately in bad ass roles both male and female.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    But I'd say better to just forget her character or write her out and bring in a new character if required

Thing is there isn't any pressing need to replace her. The hole that Carano is leaving ain't that wide and Cara Dune isn't a character on which much of anything hinged that much.

More than likely, the story is now going to focus on the Mandalorian and Mandalore, with Bo Katan and her lot along for the ride. That seems to be the direction that the end of S02 hinted at.

I'd rather see Bill Burr return than cast another ex sports fighter TBH. I know comedy is a tricky needle threaded in the franchise, but Burrs style meshed quite nicely all told. That little scene with his ex commander really worked for me too, showed he had enough range to carry off something more dramatic or tragic. Plus the idea of a mouthy Bostonite in the SW universe is just funny :D

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »

They are not going to recast Cara Dune.

They will just bring in a new character.

Recasting would only be necessary for a main character. And Mando and Grogu are the only main characters.

Advertisement